[ROM] [NANDROID BACKUP] Stock GRH78 for Nexus S Android 2.3.1

Search This thread

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
I will try to investigate the recovery issue. But some people wanted to go back to stock recovery, and were not able to with the stock recoveries floating around, so that's pretty odd that this nandroid takes you back to stock recovery.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

No need to investigate this. I think I figured it out already. I'm pretty sure the new update introduced /etc/install-recovery.sh (i'm not sure if was there on 2.3.0).. but anyway, it runs this on bootup, and if the MD5 of the recovery doesn't match what is expected, it reflashes the stock recovery back over.

edit: just rename it to prevent it from running on boot.

Last edited:

momohammed20

Sep 12, 2008
No need to investigate this. I think I figured it out already. I'm pretty sure the new update introduced /etc/install-recovery.sh (i'm not sure if was there on 2.3.0).. but anyway, it runs this on bootup, and if the MD5 of the recovery doesn't match what is expected, it reflashes the stock recovery back over.

edit: just rename it to prevent it from running on boot.

This is good to know, I will update original post! Thanks

*Facepalm

These apps were missing from the Nexus S originally on day 1... Lol.

It's how Android market works. New builds don't get full market support. You need to wait for Google to update their system to allow the new build to get copy protected apps from the market.

Day 1? Actually not, I d/led these apps perfectly fine.
Anyways, Google needs to get their act together. First the new Market still hasn't been pushed to the Nexus S, now that they released a new build/update to the Nexus S, suddenly they forgot to add/update their Market?
Sigh. F'ing ridiculous.
:p

So is anyone's Market fixed yet and have these apps:
aFile, Fandango Movies, NYTimes for Android, PayPal, FiOS Mobile Remote?

Last edited:

ancostel

Jul 21, 2010
Riverview, FL
after update im all the time only on edge...anybody else w/ this issuw?

nvm...use only 2g was checked...probably dit it by accident : D

willyalmanzar

Jan 17, 2007
can you make a step by step, i know this is as simple as it gets to the ones that are not a rookie like me lol. so please make a guide or a vidoe. i beg of you

You may want to add to those instructions a warning that people should make sure the file is named exactly "2010-12-22.21.06.07" (might want to add a note to remove the quotes, too) and not to rename it otherwise they'll end up with an MD5 mismatch error.

I renamed mine just fine to "StockGRH78ROM" and it worked just fine. I think the Folder name can be anything, just the files within, if changed will get MD5 error, since the MD5 files are within the folder.

unremarked

Jun 18, 2009
Out There
I renamed mine just fine to "StockGRH78ROM" and it worked just fine. I think the Folder name can be anything, just the files within, if changed will get MD5 error, since the MD5 files are within the folder.

Hm, fair enough. I just know from personal experience I renamed a backup folder once via Windows and bam MD5 mismatches. Did you do yours through Rom Manager? I think that might make the different. Rom Manager might give it a new MD5 to match the new name.

Hm, fair enough. I just know from personal experience I renamed a backup folder once via Windows and bam MD5 mismatches. Did you do yours through Rom Manager? I think that might make the different. Rom Manager might give it a new MD5 to match the new name.

Nope did, not, I downloaded it to my PC, renamed it, then copied it to my "internal" sd.

willyalmanzar

Jan 17, 2007
Thank you for your reply. i have a problem when im in number 4 on your instruction i put adb reboot recovery. it shows me a triangle with the little android icon. I think this is due to the update from rom manager that google had so i update it using rom manager app. what should i do next?

momohammed20

Sep 12, 2008
Thank you for your reply. i have a problem when im in number 4 on your instruction i put adb reboot recovery. it shows me a triangle with the little android icon. I think this is due to the update from rom manager that google had so i update it using rom manager app. what should i do next?

It sounds like you are on the stock recovery, you will need to download clockwork recovery manager, then go into bootloader mode "adb reboot bootloader" then

fastboot flash recovery "name_of_recovery.img"

without the quotes of course

this will flash clockwork recovery manager. After that, just select recovery, and it will take you into clockwork recovery manager, then you can use this nandroid backup.

willyalmanzar

Jan 17, 2007
It sounds like you are on the stock recovery, you will need to download clockwork recovery manager, then go into bootloader mode "adb reboot bootloader" then

fastboot flash recovery "name_of_recovery.img"

without the quotes of course

this will flash clockwork recovery manager. After that, just select recovery, and it will take you into clockwork recovery manager, then you can use this nandroid backup.

when i put adb reboot bootloader the command prompt saids is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Damn this is not easy for me lol.

defysword

Nov 29, 2010
where should I create the folders "clockworkmod/backup/"? what's the phones internal storage? could you elaborate? thanks much.

jblade1000

Jul 19, 2009
after flashing this nandroid backup, it is updated and i did re-root with no problem, but like others I'm missing apps that were on my phone before the backup including paid ones (Root Manager, Uno from Gameloft) and free ones (Android System Info, tv.com, .Podkast). Im still going through my list. Also, in general, it is the old market (or maybe old, old). Any help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I created a Nandroid backup of the stock Nexus S Rom. This includes the latest OTA GRH78 that just got pushed out today 12/22/10. This is 100% stock.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ontvvh8z9h9lb7a

WARNING: This will wipe everything on your phone

Requirements:

-Clockwork recovery or other custom recovery
    -The nandroid backup from here http://www.mediafire.com/?ontvvh8z9h9lb7a
    -Transfer cable, to transfer contents of downloaded file to phone's internal memory

Instructions:

1. Download nandroid file from link provided above
    2. Extract the .zip file on your computer
    3. Move the folder "2010-12-22.21.06.07" to the clockworkmod/backup/ directory of your phones internal storage
    Note: if you have never used nandroid you wont have the directory clockworkmod/backup on your phones internal storage, so you will have to manually create those folders, then put the folder "2010-12-22.21.06.07" in the new folders you created
    4. Now go into your clockwork recovery manager, you can do this by typing in "adb reboot recovery" if you have adb setup on your computer, and the phone is connected. Or while the phone is turned off hold the volume up+power to get into bootloader mode, then go down to "recovery" by using the volume up/volume down keys to scroll up or down, then press the power button to launch it, and this will launch the recovery manager
    5. Once your in clockwork mod recovery select "backup and restore"
    6. Then click "restore"
    7. Now you should be able to choose and select "2010-12-22.21.06.07"
    8. Clockwork will now restore this nandroid backup
    9. Reboot system

Note: This version of android build "GRH78" will make sure you have the stock recovery manager everytime you reboot the phone. So after doing this, after you reboot you will no longer have clockwork mod.

Edit: According to xda member Luxferro the new update introduced /etc/install-recovery which may have not been in 2.3, but anyways, it runs this on bootup, and if the MD5 of the recovery doesn't match what is expected, it reflashes the stock recovery back over, so if you dont want the stock recovery to be flashed everytime you boot if your on clockwork or another non stock rom, just rename it to prevent it from running on boot. And for those of you who want to return your phone back to stock this nandroid will do that for you since it also flashes the stock recovery.

Video on how to unroot the nexus s and return to stock

http://theunlockr.com/2011/01/20/how-to-unroot-the-nexus-s/
    Video via xda member dcogen
    will this method rest the phone and erase phone info?

yes this will erase everything, this is meant for people who want to go back to stock.
    I unlocked the bootloader and flashed clockword mod only. I didn't flash any custom roms. If I do this method, will it lock the bootloader and remove clockword mod?

No, this will not touch the bootloader, or the recovery. The phone bootloader will stay unlocked, and the recovery manager will stay in tact.
    Another question, it seems like it's not possible to make a nandroid within stock recovery?

NS 3e REcovery never had backup option. Just reboot, factory/wipe and cache wipe.
    Hi there, your "stock" nandroid is screwed up.

I just tried it right now and TONS of apps are missing from the market with your nandroid.
    PayPal, NYTimes, aFile, Fios Mobile Remote, TONS of stuff that I had are gone from the Market.
    I pulled out my SIM card, and still all missing.

I restored my Nandroid of my current system, and they're all back in the Market.

Hmm, very odd. Anyone else having this issue?