Red tint on the screen

Search This thread

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
Welp, I got my S8+ and it does appear to have a red tint issue. I have an S7 Edge too, which apparently does a much better job at displaying whites. I'm not sure if this problem is actually a defect though? It seems the red tint really shows if looking at the phone from an angle where on my S7 Edge, I can look from any angle, no tint!?

What we need to know to determine if this issue is hardware or software, can people who reported no tint advise if the unit does tint when viewing from an angle?

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Anyway, time will tell what the source of all of this is. I expect that when the phone launches tomorrow a LOT of people are going to consider the screen too red, and then Samsung is going to have to decide what to do - I can't imagine they (or the carriers) will be keen on mass returns...

Yea, i dont think this is a defect but its certainly make me wonder why they did this to their display?

Anyways, this problem can 95% be corrected with a fw update; if the tint can be eliminated with with a color balance adjustment, then all sammy had to do is tweak the devault values for the other presets

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
See attached, i'm not exactly sure my phone has this issue or not, the phones display is play tricks on my eyes... It is red/pink at an angle, it's certainly more pink and red than my S7 Edge, do you guys think I should return it?

Attachments

• S8Pink.jpg
    S8Pink.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 1,115
Last edited:

teegunn

Dec 14, 2010
Got an S8 and S8+ today delivered. The S8 doesn't have the red tint, the S8+ does. I have turned down red on the S8+ and don't notice the red anymore. Comparing the display next to my S7 Edge, the S8+ has a much brighter, nicer display. My previous phone - Note 7 - had a better, brighter display than the S7E, but the S8+ is definitely better than the S7E - by a ways. I was PISSED when I turned on both phones to activate and the S8+ was red tinted. Was tempted to try to return/exchange, but good luck with that. The S8 is for my fiance', and she wouldn't even notice the red if it was on hers lol. She keeps her S5 so dim the color balance wouldn't even matter. Oh well, I will be ok as adjusting red to zero on my S8+ seems to be enough of a fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: joemill

ljg600

Jan 21, 2013
Called Samsung Premium Support about the issue (free for the first 30 days) and they lessened the pink tinting on the edges by having me start the phone in safe mode and restarting. They attributed the issue to a third party app that the safe mode process disabled. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it is worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
Called Samsung Premium Support about the issue (free for the first 30 days) and they lessened the pink tinting on the edges by having me start the phone in safe mode and restarting. They attributed the issue to a third party app that the safe mode process disabled. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it is worth a try.

This doesnt make sense to me... Did it fix your issue?

tim84us

Mar 12, 2013
What if you're colour blind?

PS: the new screens are Deep-Red SAMOLED - so yes there will be a red emphasis no matter what

Nov 18, 2014
I've got the dreaded red tint.

Although - putting the phone into Adaptive display and setting the red RGB slider to minimal does the trick....somewhat..

berian

Aug 19, 2016
Walsall

I've tried this but didn't really make a difference. As I'm on three the boot screen is white, that also suffers from the red tint around the edges. So if it's software related it's down to the OS.

The *#15987* fix eliminated most of the red tint on my device, just left with an annoying red tinge around the edges now.

Hopefully this can be fixed through an update, as I'm loving the device otherwise. I'm a little dubious though!

TML1504

Nov 24, 2007
Vienna
I made a thread for S8+ here: https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8+/help/s8-amloed-display-quality-red-tint-t3593263
I also made a few threads regarding Samsung AMOLED panels in the past, you find them in the thread above.

In short: this are manufacturing "issues", depending from where in the amoled-wafer your panel has been cut out. the more from the center, the better the screen!
This issues are there since amoled exist, but this time with the S8 the differences are really huge! I got 2 S8+ devices today, one has the red tint, the other doesnt. But the one with the red tint has the better screen in other terms (more bright and "clear"). AND YES, the screen settings are identically on both devices (adaptive display turned off, same brightness, test with *#0*# to have absolutely identical setups)!

So this is fore sure hardware related, and a software could only fix some of it. From where should the "software-fix" know which device suffers from the red tint and which not?? ...

haircut123

Dec 9, 2011
*#15987# and taking it to -6 then going to screen colour balance and turning the red down all the way eliminates most of the pink red look even on the edges but there is still some redness in the top right corner doing this.plus it's not completely eliminateed the issue.I still want a replacement there shouldn't be pink on the screen

Last edited:

choccy31

Oct 16, 2009
I've been going back and forth with Samsung on this issue for two days and some other things, told them to come to the forum and check out all the various issues being reported.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, i think im the only one who has had the update so far. I had the red tint on the screen, and it was way worse around the edges - the software update cured it after i adjusted the settings for both the display and the edges. So for those saying it can't be fixed, that's just not true. I can't guarantee it will be the same for everyone, but for my phone (which was badly affected, especially on right edge), it worked great. So don't panic yet, wait for the update and see for yourselves before deciding.
    Check this code to adjust balance *#15987#
    Hola hoy e comprado un s8plus y me a venido con los bordes rojizos y dos roales rojizos a mediana altura qu se notaban bastante lo e llevado a la tienda y lo emos comparado con el de exposicion y se notava muchisimo . La semana que viene me traen otro haver como viene si me sigue llegando mal lo intentare cambiar por otro terminal .me parece vergonzoso que 1 tlf de 900e venga asi. Estoy muy decepcionado x ahora . 1 saludo amigos desde almeria
    And now in ENGLISH!!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T700 met Tapatalk
    YES!
    In Russia, an update became available, it fixed the pink edges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yesterday I exchanged an S8+ with a red-tinted screen for one without the problem, and the difference is striking. Having now had the chance to compare a number of S8 and S8+ screens (the store staff were really helpful and let me play with display settings on a number of phones), I am fairly convinced that there are two types of screens out there. I'm reasonably tech-literate, have owned pretty much every Samsung and Apple phone released in the last five years, and it was clear from day one that my S8+ had a colouration problem. Got the phone on Monday morning and spent three days reading forums, adjusting every setting (including the red-balance via the dialer code), and even consulted with a friend who is an engineer who specializes in screen technologies. After every attempted fix, I still had a phone with a clear red distortion around the edges of the screen (which would become much more pronounced if you changed the viewing angle in certain directions). The new phone has a perfect screen with no sign of a red tint at all. I don't blame Samsung, as this is a new product and problems happen - especially when you are mass producing screens like these. However, unless people have had an opportunity to look at one with the tint and one without side-by-side, probably best to hold off suggesting that any problem is a result of users screwing with their settings, accidentally turning on the blue-light filter, being overly-obsessive about their screens etc. The staff in the store could also see the difference, and admitted the problem immediately. If you're happy keeping the phone on Adaptive Display with the red-levels turned down, that's fine. I wasn't, and I'm very glad I swapped out the phone.