[HOW-TO] Speed Up UI/Fix Lag

Search This thread

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Being a high-memory device, I'm surprised HTC only set the dalvik virtual machine heap to 32MB, which is fine for 512MB phones. But we can bump it up to 48MB or 64MB without a problem. Each app you run is in its own virtual machine. Heap is the amount of memory each app has allocated to it. If you higher it (if you have enough RAM, which we do) it will result in less garbage-collection, which means improved speed and sometimes battery life.

If you're rooted on stock ROM, you have to install Busybox manually. Go to the Market and download and run Busybox Installer, then reboot. After that do these steps:

1) Download Blade Buddy
2) Advanced Settings
3) Check the first box for hardware acceleration
4) Scroll down, Dalvik VM Heap = 64M
5) Hit Save -> Yes, then manually reboot. If you hit Apply, it's temporary until reboot.

Goodbye lag. You'll notice Sense is a lot quicker, especially scrolling through the app drawer.

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Being a high-memory device, I'm surprised HTC only set the dalvik virtual machine heap to 32MB, which is fine for 512MB phones. But we can bump it up to 48MB or 64MB without a problem. Each app your run is in its own virtual machine. Heap is the amount of memory each app has allocated to it. If you higher it (if you have enough RAM, which we do) it will result in less garbage-collection, which means improved speed and sometimes battery life.

1) Download Blade Buddy
2) Advanced Settings
5) Save -> Restart

Goodbye lag. You'll notice Sense is a lot quicker, especially scrolling through the app drawer.

Thanks for the tip :D

If you don't have an Evo3d well you don't have an Evo3d :p

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
I didn't get a huge difference. Just ever so slightly less lag. Is yours overclocked? Any negative side effects if I push the vm heap too high?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Works with sensation?

It should, although the Sensation has 256MB less RAM than the 3D. Give it a shot.

I didn't get a huge difference. Just ever so slightly less lag. Is yours overclocked? Any negative side effects if I push the vm heap too high?

Not overclocked at all. Stock ROM, stock kernel, just rooted and removed bloat. It wasn't a HUGE increase, but it made it go from noticeably laggy to as fast as my Nexus S 4G. The speed boost from enabling of debug.sf.hw may be a placebo effect, but doubling the VM Heap size will definitely bring an actual performance increase. How big depends on what you're running.

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
It should, although the Sensation has 256MB less RAM than the 3D. Give it a shot.

Not overclocked at all. Stock ROM, stock kernel, just rooted and removed bloat. It wasn't a HUGE increase, but it made it go from noticeably laggy to as fast as my Nexus S 4G. The speed boost from enabling of debug.sf.hw may be a placebo effect, but doubling the VM Heap size will definitely bring an actual performance increase. How big depends on what you're running.

Yeah. I don't think I see any difference with GPU rendering. Wouldn't it kill the battery quicker too?

Also. If we get a honeycomb port. Wouldn't the Gould rendering really make a difference then?

Are we not Phones?
We are EVO
ARE WE NOT PHONES?!
3.Dee.V.O.

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
Cool thanks thats a really cool app and looks like it has a ton more uses than just this!

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
Strange. I'll try pushing it to 96m. I do have the full page stock widget open (I constantly watch oil prices.). I know the calendar widget slows it down, I would assume the stocks would do the same.

Thanks for the tip though. If 96 eliminates lag, the ln you shall become the king of everything.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah. I don't think I see any difference with GPU rendering. Wouldn't it kill the battery quicker too?

Also. If we get a honeycomb port. Wouldn't the Gould rendering really make a difference then?

Are we not Phones?
We are EVO
ARE WE NOT PHONES?!
3.Dee.V.O.

Yes, it would sip on battery a bit more. It's weird you guys aren't seeing an increase in speed. Normally when I scroll through my homescreens, there's noticeable lag, even though I have like 3 widgets on the screen total. Now the lag's gone. It doesn't really affect speed as far as benchmarking goes, but it definitely made Sense smoother for me and it did make some 3D games less stuttery.

Dynotrick

May 23, 2010
The settings won't stick for me when I reboot. I'm rooted and superuser app is granting bladebuddy root permissions.. wonder what I could be doing wrong.

Joey_UFC

Mar 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Jesus christ, This is amazing for me. i can't believe all the negative Feedback from this. My phone is blazing through homescreens and my app drawer lol Awesome.

Doesn't make me miss AOSP as much

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
Update: I just installed spare parts, set all transitions to fast, and BOOM! the tweak worked!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Being a high-memory device, I'm surprised HTC only set the dalvik virtual machine heap to 32MB, which is fine for 512MB phones. But we can bump it up to 48MB or 64MB without a problem. Each app you run is in its own virtual machine. Heap is the amount of memory each app has allocated to it. If you higher it (if you have enough RAM, which we do) it will result in less garbage-collection, which means improved speed and sometimes battery life.

If you're rooted on stock ROM, you have to install Busybox manually. Go to the Market and download and run Busybox Installer, then reboot. After that do these steps:

1) Download Blade Buddy
    2) Advanced Settings
    5) Hit Save -> Yes, then manually reboot. If you hit Apply, it's temporary until reboot.

Hell with the heap ... When's the ROM dropping LOL

E3D

We've got 90% of the features we planned for Warm TwoPointThree RLS 1 implemented.

Theming and the polish is still left which may take another week or two.

It's the opposite for me. Everything, including the ROM itself, loads faster at 64M. I haven't really noticed any negatives. Maybe it was the tweaks you did to the ROM? I'm on ViperROM and even with the stock kernel I notice a big, visible performance boost at 64M.

It may have been the tweaks. I've added a ton of them and they may contribute to the experience.

For now I'm sticking with 32. Would definitely welcome everyone's input once we start the beta testing.
    Guys be careful of this setting as higher numbers dun necessary equates best performance.

Your memory is like a huge blank page of paper, the cache determines how many "words" can be written on a page before the system turn to another page. So more words, less pages, less words, more pages.

Paging cost responsiveness so you wouldnt want the system to turn too many pages but too many words on a page also costs CPU time to read thru the whole page.

Basically that is the concept so hope you guys can find the optimal value for optimal performance. :)
    Just my 2 cents.

I did some extensive performance testing this weekend and at least on Warm TwoPointThree, 64M cache was actually too big, hindering performance.

I've got it set back to 32M and it "feels" snappier to me.

Was wondering if anyone else has done A/B testing between 32 and 64?
    I get this error too and I have root.

If you're rooted on stock ROM, you have to install Busybox manually. Go to the Market and download and run Busybox Installer.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App