[APP][ICS+] ContactsNotification +Sidebar v2.00 Final

Search This thread

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
I present here a new app.
It allows you to choose up to eight contacts, which will be shown in a notification or a configurable sidebar. Tapping the contacts will allow you to call, message, whatsapp, email or many other things. This allows a faster workflow when you need to call someone when you are doing other things.

Just install the apk, open the Contacts Notification app, choose your contacts and press update.
The notification will automatically appear after a reboot, so you only need to do this once or to change your favorite contacts.

I promise I am not storing or doing anything with your contacts.

Market link: Contacts notification +sidebar
Custom themes:Go to your sdcard, folder ContactsNotification/overlays.
There create a folder, for example, mytheme.
Into that theme add a border.png, sms.png and phone.png file. They must be 500x500px png files. pohne.png and sms.png must have border if you want it to show. A sample file, called "holo by dapaua.zip" is included.

To show the sidebar (if enabled) , just slide your finger over the trigger area.
Code:
TASKER support.

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ACTION_NAME
Where ACTION_NAME is:
POST_NOTIFICATION. Posts or refreshes the notification
HIDE_NOTIFICATION. Hides the notification
ENABLE_SET_A. Enables contact set A. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards
ENABLE_SET_B. Enables contact set B. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards

Use of this command line with Tasker:

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_A.
Add an action of the type Script - Run Shell.
in command , type: 
am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

if you are using the sidebar, type only:
am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_B.
in command , type: 
am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B

Use these two tasks to change the sets on the notification. You can use it with a timer, or position, or whatever. I am not going to explain how tasker works. I implemented this because I was asked to and I found it interesting.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

HISTORY
Version1.1 has some cosmetic changes in the notification.
-----
Version1.2a:
-Up to 6 contacts can now be added. Small screens may show really small icons for last contacts.
-Default action can be chosen from Menu, Dial or SMS. SMS not working yet, sorry. Icon overlays are planned so you know what the icons do.
-Slightly nicer settings screen.
-Option to disable notification icon, toast (the small notice telling you to wait), and start at boot.
-Can now be disabled without uninstalling.
This version won't be uploaded to the market. I'll upload it when I enable SMS and overlay icons.
-----
Version1.2b
-Fixed JB compatibility. Now notification drawer should fold by itself.
-Added contact icon sizes, so all 6 icons fit in small phones ( I hope)
-SMS option works.
-Black theme
-Still ugly
-Phone/SMS overlays are not done yet, so you need to remember what each icon does. I'll do it next week.
This version will be uploaded to the Play Store.
------
Version 1.3
-Nicer looking icons.
-Added Phone/SMS overlays to icons.
-Now you can automatically populate your contacts form the recent calls log.
-Still ugly app(Notification is much nicer, I think.)
-Contacts without picture show name
------
Version 1.3b
Fixes a bug in auto-populated contacts that appeared when a caller not in your contact list was in the list.
-------
Version 1.4
-Overlays are now optional.Please,send me new overlays to include in the program, check here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38780390&postcount=50
-------
Version 1.4b
-New ICS overlays by Virus_672 (Thanks!!)
-------
Version 1.5
-Now auto-populated contacts should work. The notification will automatically refresh 20 seconds after the call end.
-No more vibration!
-Some optimizations, should be a bit faster...
-------
Version 1.5b
-Bugs Fixed.
-------
Version 1.5c
-More Bugs Fixed. Sorry about the frequent updates. No more for today, I promise.
-------
Version 1.6
-Fixed (I hope) Samsung "menu" option
-Fixed (I hope) Samsung Galaxy 3 lag
-Fixed (I hope) the "can't change icon size" bug.
-New "Thin White" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
-------
Version 1.7
-Now you can choose your custom theme. After first run, the folder ContactsNotification/overlays will be created. There you can create any number of folders with the following files:border.png, phone.png, and sms.png. They must be 500x500px png files. After that, choose "custom" on "Overlay theme". A new option will appear listing all themes on the ContactsNotification/overlays folder. A sample theme can be downloaded, it is the file "holo by dapaua.zip". You shouldn't add weird characters to folder name, please use only letters,numbers,- and _ .
--------
Version 1.8
-Notification is shown as "Ongoing" for phones supporting the feature.
-Bugfixes.
-New "Thin White,Big Icons" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
---------
Version 1.10
-Notification shown as ongoing is now optional, it interfered with "hide icon".
-Possibility to donate to the developer from the app (Thanks :) )
-Spacing between the contacts can now be configured. Larger values may show a black notification for medium resolution phones. I am still investigating it.
----------
Version 1.11
-Accesibility service added. When enabled, allows Contacts notification to be the top-most notification. This one will be added to the play store tomorrow, after I get some feedback.
-----------
Version 1.12SidebarALPHA.
-Testing version for sidebar. Please read first post for instructions.
-----------
Version1.12SidebarBETA
-Now sidebar works with any number of contacts or in auto mode.
-New option:Sidebar or Notification.
-New option: Force notification clear. If disabled, notification bar doesn't go black when a new notification is post, but it may fail to refresh on samsung phones. I recomend enabling it on samsung stock.
------------
Version1.12bSidebar
-Bug fixes in auto contact mode.
------------
Version1.12cSidebar
-Fixed bug that showed the wrong action icons in sidebar, thanks Michael B.N.!
-----------
Version 1.13
-Sidebar trigger position and size configurable.
-New option:"Do not dial directly, show dialer instead" to avoid unintended dialing.
-Trigger can be set to "visible" now,
-Settings slightly reordered.
----------
Version 1.14
-Sidebar size configurable.
-New icon.
----------
Version 1.15
-Up to 8 contacts now.
-Fixed:settings button doesn't resize with sidebar
-2 new sizes for sidebar: X-large and XX-Large.
-Bug fixes.
----------
Version 1.16
-Vertical position of the sidebar trigger can now be fined tuned (I want to thank Ahmad Asraf Hashim for the suggestion)
-Transparency of Sidebar can be configured.
--------
Version 1.17
-Three different backgrounds for the sidebar to choose from.
-Two different contact sets, to enable, for example, a work set and a family set (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
-Preeliminary tasker/scripting support to enable set choosing. (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
-------
Version 2.00
-Cleared the settings UI a bit.
-Added sidebar transition.
-Bug fixes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-18-10-34-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-18-10-34-31.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 19,193
  • Screenshot_2013-02-18-10-34-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-18-10-34-14.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 19,156
  • Screenshot_2013-02-18-10-33-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-18-10-33-53.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 19,646
  • ContactsNotification1.13.apk
    376.4 KB · Views: 43
  • ContactsNotification1.14.apk
    380.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ContactsNotification1.15.apk
    384.4 KB · Views: 29
  • ContactsNotification1.16.apk
    385.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ContactsNotification1.17.apk
    391.3 KB · Views: 43
  • ContactsNotification2.00.apk
    393.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Raymond199483

Dec 29, 2012
Re: [APP][ICS+] ContactsNotification

What about Facebook just wondering

sent from my unrooted kindle fire hd

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Updates

I added the market link, it'll work in some hours, according to google. Also added the required screenshots. Enjoy.

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
Cute and quick!

Since no text is displayed, for most contacts, I only have the default avatar-icon. So it alternates two gray-scales but that does not tell me the contacts.

For contacts with no avatar or picture, could have or text (may be option with pic as well!) or a way to choose one of a few icons. Of course, I should just take some pictures and use them.

BTW, one of Nokia's weird half-touch GUIs used such a scheme for its contacts.

Reactions: dapaua

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Cute and quick!

Since no text is displayed, for most contacts, I only have the default avatar-icon. So it alternates two gray-scales but that does not tell me the contacts.

For contacts with no avatar or picture, could have or text (may be option with pic as well!) or a way to choose one of a few icons. Of course, I should just take some pictures and use them.

BTW, one of Nokia's weird half-touch GUIs used such a scheme for its contacts.

You are right, I am thinking about showing text for contacts with no picture.

But you should definitely add pictures to your contacts. They will show on all your android devices, and even on your computer if you use gmail. I know that it is a time investment to set all your contact info, merging all contacts (you know "dad home", "dad mobile" :) ) . But it will make your phone much more useful if you do.
I didn't know Nokia phones did that.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know if it's just my phone/set up (Evo 4G, Evervolv JB nightly 02/18/2013), but when I tap the icon in the notification drawer, I have to pull the drawer up manually to get to that contact; if this is how it's supposed to work, it'd be helpful if it automatically pulled the shade up so your contact is waiting there for you. Other than that, cool app and very handy!

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
I don't know if it's just my phone/set up (Evo 4G, Evervolv JB nightly 02/18/2013), but when I tap the icon in the notification drawer, I have to pull the drawer up manually to get to that contact; if this is how it's supposed to work, it'd be helpful if it automatically pulled the shade up so your contact is waiting there for you. Other than that, cool app and very handy!

It should automatically fold the notification drawer. It did in my trials. I don't know why is it not working for you.

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
Another idea: Than 4-5 would be too much but the alternative for those who really do want more would be ... slide 'em. I think Nokia's widget works that way.

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Another idea: Than 4-5 would be too much but the alternative for those who really do want more would be ... slide 'em. I think Nokia's widget works that way.

I could add more contacts, I just thought four were enough. In my screen more than four wouldn't fit, though.
I cannot make them slide, because notifcations cannot be laterally scrolled. They can be expanded in JB, but I don't have a JB phone to try it, and the emulator doesn't really work properly.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Boomer6345

Jul 10, 2012
Grand Haven
Nice app! I have two feature requests:

1. Can you remove the icon in status bar? I like to see the carrier name and on my AT&T Samsung GS3 your app icon replaces that.

2. Could you add a feature to configure a default action for a contact such as "call mobile" or "call home" or "sms", etc? I'd like to just hit the icon and have it start dialing. If you can do this you want want to add some overlay text or an icon to indicate the action (a phone or text icon).

Reactions: dapaua

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Nice app! I have two feature requests:

1. Can you remove the icon in status bar? I like to see the carrier name and on my AT&T Samsung GS3 your app icon replaces that.

2. Could you add a feature to configure a default action for a contact such as "call mobile" or "call home" or "sms", etc? I'd like to just hit the icon and have it start dialing. If you can do this you want want to add some overlay text or an icon to indicate the action (a phone or text icon).

I can do both things and I think these are very good ideas. I'll implement them if I find some time. I'm a bit busy right now, but for sure I'll add these options.
Thank you very much!

Reactions: SammiSaysHello

TSOGLANI

Sep 25, 2007
Athens
I can do both things and I think these are very good ideas. I'll implement them if I find some time. I'm a bit busy right now, but for sure I'll add these options.
Thank you very much!

Great app with a lot of potential.
Some suggestions (also mentioned by some other users)
1.Give option to show or not the icon in taskbar
2.Allow to choose default actions when icon is pressed for direct calling
3.Give option to show selected contacts OR latest contacts from call log (it will give the program a call notification function also) !
4.Fix the total look especially in the settings and a quick way to access them (maybe put small settings icon-half size,before the 5 contact pictures.
5.Translate it :) If you want Greek i can do it for you ;)

Thanks and keep up the good work :good:

Re: [APP][ICS+] ContactsNotification

It should automatically fold the notification drawer. It did in my trials. I don't know why is it not working for you.

Tried both the apk on here and also from the Play Store, both had the same problem. Could just be the ROM I'm using, still a cool app, I'll keep up with the versions to come!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

athatati

Aug 30, 2007
Please 2.3.6 gaaxy ace s5830c

Please 2.3.6 gaaxy ace s5830c version.
The version on play store its not compatible with galaxy ace 2.3.6

VidarG

Jun 10, 2010
On my Galaxy Note 1, with ICS, I'm sorry to say it won't open the contact. It hangs and hangs and eventually I have to fc contacts.

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
On my Galaxy Note 1, with ICS, I'm sorry to say it won't open the contact. It hangs and hangs and eventually I have to fc contacts.

It happens with Galaxy note 1, I tried with one and the same thing happened. It is because some sort of bug in samsung Contacts app, that's why it is contacts that FC and not my app. I don't know how to fix or go around that bug. I am sorry.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I present here a new app.
    It allows you to choose up to eight contacts, which will be shown in a notification or a configurable sidebar. Tapping the contacts will allow you to call, message, whatsapp, email or many other things. This allows a faster workflow when you need to call someone when you are doing other things.

Just install the apk, open the Contacts Notification app, choose your contacts and press update.
    The notification will automatically appear after a reboot, so you only need to do this once or to change your favorite contacts.

I promise I am not storing or doing anything with your contacts.

Market link: Contacts notification +sidebar
    Custom themes:Go to your sdcard, folder ContactsNotification/overlays.
    There create a folder, for example, mytheme.
    Into that theme add a border.png, sms.png and phone.png file. They must be 500x500px png files. pohne.png and sms.png must have border if you want it to show. A sample file, called "holo by dapaua.zip" is included.

To show the sidebar (if enabled) , just slide your finger over the trigger area.
    Code:
    TASKER support.

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ACTION_NAME
    Where ACTION_NAME is:
    POST_NOTIFICATION. Posts or refreshes the notification
    HIDE_NOTIFICATION. Hides the notification
    ENABLE_SET_A. Enables contact set A. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards
    ENABLE_SET_B. Enables contact set B. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards

Use of this command line with Tasker:

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_A.
    in command , type: 
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_B.
    in command , type: 
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B

Use these two tasks to change the sets on the notification. You can use it with a timer, or position, or whatever. I am not going to explain how tasker works. I implemented this because I was asked to and I found it interesting.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

HISTORY
    Version1.1 has some cosmetic changes in the notification.
    -----
    Version1.2a:
    -Up to 6 contacts can now be added. Small screens may show really small icons for last contacts.
    -Default action can be chosen from Menu, Dial or SMS. SMS not working yet, sorry. Icon overlays are planned so you know what the icons do.
    -Slightly nicer settings screen.
    -Option to disable notification icon, toast (the small notice telling you to wait), and start at boot.
    -Can now be disabled without uninstalling.
    This version won't be uploaded to the market. I'll upload it when I enable SMS and overlay icons.
    -----
    Version1.2b
    -Fixed JB compatibility. Now notification drawer should fold by itself.
    -Added contact icon sizes, so all 6 icons fit in small phones ( I hope)
    -SMS option works.
    -Black theme
    -Still ugly
    -Phone/SMS overlays are not done yet, so you need to remember what each icon does. I'll do it next week.
    This version will be uploaded to the Play Store.
    ------
    Version 1.3
    -Nicer looking icons.
    -Added Phone/SMS overlays to icons.
    -Now you can automatically populate your contacts form the recent calls log.
    -Still ugly app(Notification is much nicer, I think.)
    -Contacts without picture show name
    ------
    Version 1.3b
    Fixes a bug in auto-populated contacts that appeared when a caller not in your contact list was in the list.
    -------
    Version 1.4
    -Overlays are now optional.Please,send me new overlays to include in the program, check here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38780390&postcount=50
    -------
    Version 1.4b
    -New ICS overlays by Virus_672 (Thanks!!)
    -------
    Version 1.5
    -Now auto-populated contacts should work. The notification will automatically refresh 20 seconds after the call end.
    -No more vibration!
    -Some optimizations, should be a bit faster...
    -------
    Version 1.5b
    -Bugs Fixed.
    -------
    Version 1.5c
    -More Bugs Fixed. Sorry about the frequent updates. No more for today, I promise.
    -------
    Version 1.6
    -------
    Version 1.7
    -Now you can choose your custom theme. After first run, the folder ContactsNotification/overlays will be created. There you can create any number of folders with the following files:border.png, phone.png, and sms.png. They must be 500x500px png files. After that, choose "custom" on "Overlay theme". A new option will appear listing all themes on the ContactsNotification/overlays folder. A sample theme can be downloaded, it is the file "holo by dapaua.zip". You shouldn't add weird characters to folder name, please use only letters,numbers,- and _ .
    --------
    Version 1.8
    -Notification is shown as "Ongoing" for phones supporting the feature.
    -Bugfixes.
    -New "Thin White,Big Icons" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    ---------
    Version 1.10
    -Notification shown as ongoing is now optional, it interfered with "hide icon".
    -Possibility to donate to the developer from the app (Thanks :) )
    -Spacing between the contacts can now be configured. Larger values may show a black notification for medium resolution phones. I am still investigating it.
    ----------
    Version 1.11
    -Accesibility service added. When enabled, allows Contacts notification to be the top-most notification. This one will be added to the play store tomorrow, after I get some feedback.
    -----------
    Version 1.12SidebarALPHA.
    -Testing version for sidebar. Please read first post for instructions.
    -----------
    Version1.12SidebarBETA
    -Now sidebar works with any number of contacts or in auto mode.
    -New option:Sidebar or Notification.
    -New option: Force notification clear. If disabled, notification bar doesn't go black when a new notification is post, but it may fail to refresh on samsung phones. I recomend enabling it on samsung stock.
    ------------
    Version1.12bSidebar
    -Bug fixes in auto contact mode.
    ------------
    Version1.12cSidebar
    -Fixed bug that showed the wrong action icons in sidebar, thanks Michael B.N.!
    -----------
    Version 1.13
    -Sidebar trigger position and size configurable.
    -New option:"Do not dial directly, show dialer instead" to avoid unintended dialing.
    -Trigger can be set to "visible" now,
    -Settings slightly reordered.
    ----------
    Version 1.14
    -Sidebar size configurable.
    -New icon.
    ----------
    Version 1.15
    -Up to 8 contacts now.
    -Fixed:settings button doesn't resize with sidebar
    -2 new sizes for sidebar: X-large and XX-Large.
    -Bug fixes.
    ----------
    Version 1.16
    -Vertical position of the sidebar trigger can now be fined tuned (I want to thank Ahmad Asraf Hashim for the suggestion)
    -Transparency of Sidebar can be configured.
    --------
    Version 1.17
    -Three different backgrounds for the sidebar to choose from.
    -Two different contact sets, to enable, for example, a work set and a family set (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
    -Preeliminary tasker/scripting support to enable set choosing. (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
    -------
    Version 2.00
    -Cleared the settings UI a bit.
    -Added sidebar transition.
    -Bug fixes.
    i would love to use this app. i'm on jb and the app is working only partially
    pls help!:)

What is exactly the problem? I need a more info to help :) :)
    is there any way to make the photos look bigger? I have icon size large

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Your phone has really high resolution!! I'll add an update with an Extra-large size :) I'll code it now, it'll be on the play store in a few hours :) Thanks for reporting it!

EDIT: Here it is the new version, if you can't wait!

That was fast! Give me 10 minutes.

EDIT: It is uploaded. I'll wait a bit more to upload it to the Play Store, maybe I get some more overlays :)

I think that i will add the option to set a folder in the SD card to add your own overlays, but this won't be today.

Thank you, Virus_672, they are really nice. The icons are small, but not so much that they can't be recognized.
    New version 1.6.

Changelog:
    ---------------------
    New (alpha) version

I'm done for today, so I uploaded what I could add. I hope tomorrow I will be able to finish it.