[Q] Motorola RAZR confusion

Search This thread

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Is there a difference between the Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR HD, Droid RAZR Maxx, and the Droid RAZR Maxx HD. My phone said Droid RAZR HD but I'm very confused and I'm worried I have a lot of important software that was for a different model. If it helps the system version is xt926.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using XDA Free mobile app

lem22

Nov 25, 2013
The Droid Razr was the first "Razr" phone with Android, released in 2011.
The Droid Razr HD is the successor from 2012 with different hardware.
"MAXX" versions are the same phones with more storage and/or a bigger battery.

But to get things a bit more compicated: The Droid Maxx (without "Razr") is the 2013 successor to the Razr HD.

So, to sum up, the Droid Razr and the Droid Razr HD are different devices.

iBolski

Is there a difference between the Droid RAZR, Droid RAZR HD, Droid RAZR Maxx, and the Droid RAZR Maxx HD. My phone said Droid RAZR HD but I'm very confused and I'm worried I have a lot of important software that was for a different model. If it helps the system version is xt926.

Thanks

Well, your's is the Droid RAZR HD or Droid RAZR MAXX HD. I have the Droid RAZR HD.

As far as software goes,it doesn't matter. The Droid RAZR HD and Droid RAZR MAXX HD are the same hardware-wise other than the MAXX has a larger battery. Otherwise, all the other parts are the same. What runs on the MAXX HD will run on the HD and vice-versa.

The XT912 is the original Droid RAZR line and is different from what you have. It's much slower and the battery life is not as good as on the XT926 models.

iBolski

And... the Razr Maxx HDTV gets 32 GB of onboard storage whereas the slightly thinner Razr HD gets only 16 GB, just to clear up any further confusion.

I keep forgetting that little piece of info. Luckily for me, the 16gb of onboard storage (internal data plus internal sd card) has been just fine for me. Never run out of space.

Of course, having an external 64gb SD card helps a lot too. :good:

iBolski

I must have made a mistake because my phone says its a Droid RAZR Maxx HD and it has 32gb of storage. Thanks anyway for the useful information.

No problem. The Droid RAZR HD (which I have) and the Droid RAZR MAXX HD (what you have) has the exact identical hardware with the following exceptions as was stated earlier:

1. RAZR MAXX HD has 32 gb of storage as opposed to the RAZR HD's 16 gb of internal storage
2.RAZR MAXX HD has a larger battery than the RAZR HD

But, in the end, the same OTA's for KK work for either phone as they are both the XT926 model. Everything else, CPU, camera, etc, is the same architecture.

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Does this mean that there are no limitations to what I can install on either, including rooms and recoveries? Or should I find things for the Maxx specifically just to be safe?

iBolski

Does this mean that there are no limitations to what I can install on either, including rooms and recoveries? Or should I find things for the Maxx specifically just to be safe?

Again, there is nothing specific between the MAXX HD and the RAZR HD. They are the same hardware. Only the battery and storage is different which doesn't affect which ROM for RAZR HDs to install. Any rom for the RAZR HD will install on the RAZR MAXX HD. No ROM is made specific to either one. They are both XT926.

As far as flashing ROMs, you need to know the answer to the following question

Is your bootloader locked or unlocked?

If your bootloader is locked, then you are stuck using only Safestrap ROMs IF you are still on Jellybean. You cannot use TWRP or CWM regardless of whether or not you are on JB or KK. If you are on KK (via the OTA), then I do not believe the Safestrap recovery will work since it hasn't been updated to work with KK. Therefore, you are stuck using the stock KK image from the OTA and there's no going back to JB either with a locked bootloader.

If you are on JB, then you can use Safestrap to load the limited set of Safestrap ROMs to your phone. You MUST read each ROM carefully to see if it's Safestrap ready. If it's not, then it won't work with Safestrap.

Most ROMs are not Safestrap since at one point, you could unlock the bootloader for the RAZR HD/RAZR MAXX HD which allows you to use a different kernel since the bootloader is unlocked. Therefore, the majority of ROMs that are still being updated using either TWRP or CWM which are for unlocked bootloaders only. However, Motorola has patched the phones so that those that never unlocked the bootloader before the patch can now no longer unlock the bootloader. So, if you missed the boat on unlocking your bootloader and upgraded the OS before unlocking, you are stuck with a locked bootloader and there is NO other way to unlock it, ever. So, don't ask how to do it or if someone will find a way to do it. They won't. It's a done deal, and there's no way to do it.

If you upgraded to KK with an unlocked bootloader, then only CWM will work but there are no working KK-based ROMs (based off of the official OTA) yet. We have to wait for the official FXZ image to come out for KK before that happens. However, unlocked bootloaders can flash back to stock JB whereas locked bootloaders cannot.

Last edited:

miapuffia

Jul 22, 2013
Avera
Razer Phone
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Again, there is nothing specific between the MAXX HD and the RAZR HD. They are the same hardware. Only the battery and storage is different which doesn't affect which ROM for RAZR HDs to install. Any rom for the RAZR HD will install on the RAZR MAXX HD. No ROM is made specific to either one. They are both XT926.

As far as flashing ROMs, you need to know the answer to the following question

Is your bootloader locked or unlocked?

If your bootloader is locked, then you are stuck using only Safestrap ROMs IF you are still on Jellybean. You cannot use TWRP or CWM regardless of whether or not you are on JB or KK. If you are on KK (via the OTA), then I do not believe the Safestrap recovery will work since it hasn't been updated to work with KK. Therefore, you are stuck using the stock KK image from the OTA and there's no going back to JB either with a locked bootloader.

If you are on JB, then you can use Safestrap to load the limited set of Safestrap ROMs to your phone. You MUST read each ROM carefully to see if it's Safestrap ready. If it's not, then it won't work with Safestrap.

Most ROMs are not Safestrap since at one point, you could unlock the bootloader for the RAZR HD/RAZR MAXX HD which allows you to use a different kernel since the bootloader is unlocked. Therefore, the majority of ROMs that are still being updated using either TWRP or CWM which are for unlocked bootloaders only. However, Motorola has patched the phones so that those that never unlocked the bootloader before the patch can now no longer unlock the bootloader. So, if you missed the boat on unlocking your bootloader and upgraded the OS before unlocking, you are stuck with a locked bootloader and there is NO other way to unlock it, ever. So, don't ask how to do it or if someone will find a way to do it. They won't. It's a done deal, and there's no way to do it.

If you upgraded to KK with an unlocked bootloader, then only CWM will work but there are no working KK-based ROMs (based off of the official OTA) yet. We have to wait for the official FXZ image to come out for KK before that happens. However, unlocked bootloaders can flash back to stock JB whereas locked bootloaders cannot.

I have jellybean 4.1.2 rooted with an unlocked bootloader and SafeStrap so I'm good to go right?

iBolski

I have jellybean 4.1.2 rooted with an unlocked bootloader and SafeStrap so I'm good to go right?

Correct, you could take the OTA right now and then if you don't like it, take an FXZ image (using SamuriHL's House of Moto tool) and flash yourself back to stock JB.

Go here to learn how to properly upgrade your phone to Kit Kat -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-how-to-xt926-upgrade-to-kitkat-ota/#entry433486

This provides links to all the tools/software you need to get your phone upgraded to Kit Kat. Remember, he is also assuming you want to downgrade back to a previous version of JB so you can take the OTA. In your case, you might want to follow his directions to get yourself back to full stock, unrooted. Just uninstalling root alone won't help. You basically have to reimage your phone using this process back to a stock JB before taking the OTA.

The OTA is very picky about any modifications that might have been done to the phone (freezing apps, rooting, etc). SamuriHL's process will ensure your phone is back to stock just like it was out of the box when you first got your phone and that should provide you with a clean path to upgrade to Kit Kat on the RAZR HD or RAZR MAXX HD.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And... the Razr Maxx HDTV gets 32 GB of onboard storage whereas the slightly thinner Razr HD gets only 16 GB, just to clear up any further confusion.