[ROM][17-11-03][Guhl] Thea - Sailfish OS 2.1.2.3 [Beta 8]

Search This thread

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Hi,

This is a port of Sailfish OS to the Motorola G 2014 LTE (aka thea). If you are looking for Sailfish OS for the regular Motorola G 2014 (aka titan) look here Sailfish OS for titan
Screenshot-17-01-21-00-01-20.png

Download:
Sailfish OS Version 2.x (work in progress)
ROM cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K5-thea.zip
Beta 8: sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.2.3-guhl171102.zip (current)
Beta 7: sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.0.11-guhl_170604.zip (old)
Beta 6: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170218_obs.zip (old)
Beta 5: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170214_obs.zip (old)
Beta 4: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170209_obs.zip (old)
Beta 3: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170205_obs.zip (old)
Beta 2: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170122.zip (old)
Beta 1: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170117.zip (old)

Installation:
Remark: The installation of the correct CM (12.1 for SF 2.x) image is only necessary once. So if you already did this the first time you can skip steps 2 and 4.2
1. Boot into your custom Android Recovery and make sure that the sdcard is mounted
2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K5-thea.zip /sdcard1/
3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.2.3-guhl171102.zip /sdcard1/
4. In the Recovery on the device:
4.1. Clear data and cache (factory reset)
4.2. Install the CM release by picking the CM image (this is needed so that the correct version of the binary libraries and firmware files are in place)
4.3. Install Sailfish OS by picking the SFOS image (this will take quite some time)
5. Reboot the device

After the initial boot (that will take some time) the language selection and initial setup will show.
After that it will take a while and then the Jolla tutorial should come up. You can skip the tutorial if you want by clicking the corners of the screen in the following sequence: Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Right, Bottom-Left.

Remarks
  • Recorded-Video playback: Works but uses a nasty hack that might have stability and security effects.

Known not to work
  • There is an issue switching from video-playback to camera. Sometimes the camera app hangs afterwards -> reboot.

Change-log:
Current Version
Version 20171102
  • updated to version 2.1.2.3 (complete rebuild and code cleanup)
  • fixed screen startup on reboot (aka lipstick-hack) -> stable reboots
  • probably the best and most stable build up to now.
Version 20170604
  • updated to version 2.1.0.11 (fixes also USB "Alwas ask" mode)
Version 20170218
  • fixed sdcard mounting
Version 20170214
  • Proper fix to sensorfw accepted upstream -> removed sensor hack
  • Fixed camera startup and video recording. Works on first start now and does not crash on restart
  • Hack to make playback of recorded video work.
Version 20170209
  • Fixed acceleration and rotation sensor
  • improved video recording - still not working properly
Version 20170205
  • Fixed and added FM-Radio
  • added Mozilla Location Service as location provider
  • built on mer OBS - preparation for OTA updates in the future
Version 20170122
  • Added Bluetooth
Version 20170117
  • Initial release of Beta 1

Credits:
mal, sledges, MisterMagister - et al. from the #sailfish-porters IRC channel on freenode
These guys are doing amazing work and their competence and readiness to help is really inspiring.
Without their support this would not have been possible!

Have fun - Guhl

Last edited:

Mavireck

Feb 9, 2015
Nice ! That's awesome there is still support for this device !
Just curious, did you use anything from my GitHub or is everything outdated ?

Reactions: guhl99

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010

Hi Mavireck,

I did see your work on this of course and I also looked at MisterMagister and your github sources.
But in principle I did this port from scratch as most of the things are outdated as you already assumed.
I am building titan already on OBS nemo:devel:hw:motorola:thea and am preparing to create the next fixes and releases as OTA instead of complete builds.
And of course I would be very happy if you have some spare time and join me in this port effort. (my resources are on github of course).

Have fun - Guhl

Mavireck

Feb 9, 2015
Hi Mavireck,

I did see your work on this of course and I also looked at MisterMagister and your github sources.
But in principle I did this port from scratch as most of the things are outdated as you already assumed.
I am building titan already on OBS nemo:devel:hw:motorola:thea and am preparing to create the next fixes and releases as OTA instead of complete builds.
And of course I would be very happy if you have some spare time and join me in this port effort. (my resources are on github of course).

Have fun - Guhl
I don't think I would be able to help... I am still new to all this kind of stuff (I didn't even used Linux before).
I had just followed the instructions and I stole some fixes here and there but I wasn't able to fix the issues that weren't documented.
I really don't have time now (final exams are coming) but maybe later I will re-download the sources and have a look.

P.S. I don't even have my Moto G anymore : I lent it to a friend.

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Beta 4

Hi,
I released Beta 4.

It mainly fixes the sensors (acceleration and rotation). As Motorola did a real nasty hack in the acceleration kernel driver and the closed source sensor-library I also had to do a nasty hack to get the sensors working. For now this is done by a script that monitors the screen on/off state and also enables/disables the sensor chip that is responsible for acceleration, magnetometer and compass.
If you are interested see here:
https://github.com/guhl/droid-config-thea/commit/27dff552d1d655a44917ab68536c27d55eeb2b2f

I will integrate this functionality into the regular Sailfish OS (mer) sensorfw service to remove the hack-script and try to get that integrated upstream.

Have fun - Guhl

Lukasm7

Jul 30, 2015
Hi
I install the rom on my thea and this is my report of bugs
- Can't access to my external sdcard (maybe the format of the sd is not support for the rom) I try mount in options but not work
-When shutdown my phone ( not restart) and re start/on , I get bootloop, in the logo motorola, led notifications on and not loading. (My solution in the recovery, wipe davilk/art and cache, and works again)

Works fine to me
Wifi,bluetooh, sensors, Signal, sync account to google, no fc
I not test gps, calls
Sorry for my English is regular
Nice rom and project!! Waiting for more
Regards!

Last edited:

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Beta 5

Hi,

I uploaded Beta 5 and changed the OP accordingly.
In principle all functionality should be working now. See the OP for some remarks.

Be warned again, that the hack that is used to fix recorded video playback may have stability and security side effects. The hack basically removes a check in the OMX decoder that the allocated video buffer does not have the same size as the expected size (it is smaller). This may enable buffer overruns with the usual side effects. So if you want to be careful: Do not play videos from sources you don't trust

Have fun - Guhl

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Hi
I install the rom on my thea and this is my report of bugs
- Can't access to my external sdcard (maybe the format of the sd is not support for the rom) I try mount in options but not work
-When shutdown my phone ( not restart) and re start/on , I get bootloop, in the logo motorola, led notifications on and not loading. (My solution in the recovery, wipe davilk/art and cache, and works again)

Works fine to me
Wifi,bluetooh, sensors, Signal, sync account to google, no fc
I not test gps, calls
Sorry for my English is regular
Nice rom and project!! Waiting for more
Regards!
Hi,
thanks for the feedback.
I know that the reboot does not work some times. I think that even without cleaning the cache it should work after you booted to recovery once. I have no idea what is causing this but maybe we can find some more hints.
I will look into sdcard mounting, never tried that :)
Have fun - Guhl

Lukasm7

Jul 30, 2015
I Test the last update, everything works fine, very smooth and fast
External sdcard works perfectly
The only drawback is the compatibility of apps with android, the rest is correct and works fine
Good rom , and I hope someday you can use android apps
Regards!

Reactions: guhl99

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
I Test the last update, everything works fine, very smooth and fast
External sdcard works perfectly
The only drawback is the compatibility of apps with android, the rest is correct and works fine
Good rom , and I hope someday you can use android apps
Regards!
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
I will try to include sfdroid (https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/sfdroid) in the next build. This is not as stable and convenient as Alien-Dalvik but Alien-Dalvik must not be included in Sailfish Ports. But sfdroid should give you some Android support.

Have fun - Guhl

todobarato

Jan 5, 2011
Hello,

very nice, everything works.

I am waiting impatiently :) the next release were can be installed Android app.

Thanks,

Ferenc.

todobarato

Jan 5, 2011
Solved: install some libraries for exfat.

Hello,

I have one question, how I mount the SD-card?

Best regards,

Ferenc.

Last edited:

azak2000

Mar 23, 2017
GPS and Magnetometer don't work

Dear Guhl,

thanks for the great job of porting Sailfish to the thea device.

1. I found that in beta6 neither GPS nor magnetometer work. I am wondering if it is only me or if it is a general problem.

2. Besides that I am having an issue with the mobile data connection in general. I am using a DATA ONLY card of dmm.com in Japan. Sometimes I can get a connection, but the signal strength is shown as 0. Randomly I get disconnected.
Probably this is an Sailfish general issue and not related to this particular port.
Background: japanmobiletech.com/2013/08/improved-fix-for-docomo-mvno-data-only.html

Thanks & Regards, azak2000

Last edited:

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Dear Guhl,

thanks for the great job of porting Sailfish to the thea device.

1. I found that in beta6 neither GPS nor magnetometer work. I am wondering if it is only me or if it is a general problem.

2. Besides that I am having an issue with the mobile data connection in general. I am using a DATA ONLY card of dmm.com in Japan. Sometimes I can get a connection, but the signal strength is shown as 0. Randomly I get disconnected.
Probably this is an Sailfish general issue and not related to this particular port.
Background: japanmobiletech.com/2013/08/improved-fix-for-docomo-mvno-data-only.html

Thanks & Regards, azak2000
Hi,

what software are you using to test GPS/magnetomther? I am using GPSInfo for GPS testing and don't have any issues with GPS (after turning on location in settings).
I will have look at that patch and see how this applies to Sailfish (ofono - the telephony stack of Sailfish OS) but I might need your help there as I probably will need some logs from your phone.
Maybe you can try to find me on the #sailfishos-porters on the freenode IRC system (but probably our timezones are not very compatible as I am in UTC+2)

Have fun - Guhl

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
Hello,

very nice, everything works.

I am waiting impatiently :) the next release were can be installed Android app.

Thanks,

Ferenc.
Hi,

I am sorry to tell you that I gave up the effort to run SFDroid on the thea build.

The devices simple and easy does not have enough RAM to allow this to work. SFDroid basically really means (and that is a big difference to the AlienDalvik that is running on the Jolla devices) that SF and Adroid are really running side by side (Android is technically running in a window) and that just does not fly with this device.
As I said, sorry to tell you this and I can assure you that this is frustrating for me too as I spent quite some time on this, but I will not release a SFDroid build for the thea.

Have fun - Guhl

Reactions: meisterlampe1337

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

This is a port of Sailfish OS to the Motorola G 2014 LTE (aka thea). If you are looking for Sailfish OS for the regular Motorola G 2014 (aka titan) look here Sailfish OS for titan
    Screenshot-17-01-21-00-01-20.png

Download:
    Sailfish OS Version 2.x (work in progress)
    ROM cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K5-thea.zip
    Beta 8: sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.2.3-guhl171102.zip (current)
    Beta 7: sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.0.11-guhl_170604.zip (old)
    Beta 6: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170218_obs.zip (old)
    Beta 5: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170214_obs.zip (old)
    Beta 4: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170209_obs.zip (old)
    Beta 3: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170205_obs.zip (old)
    Beta 2: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170122.zip (old)
    Beta 1: sailfishos-thea-release-2.0.5.6-guhl170117.zip (old)

Installation:
    Remark: The installation of the correct CM (12.1 for SF 2.x) image is only necessary once. So if you already did this the first time you can skip steps 2 and 4.2
    1. Boot into your custom Android Recovery and make sure that the sdcard is mounted
    2. Upload the CM release: adb push cm-12.1-20151117-SNAPSHOT-YOG7DAO1K5-thea.zip /sdcard1/
    3. Upload Sailfish OS: adb push sailfishos-thea-release-2.1.2.3-guhl171102.zip /sdcard1/
    4. In the Recovery on the device:
    4.1. Clear data and cache (factory reset)
    4.2. Install the CM release by picking the CM image (this is needed so that the correct version of the binary libraries and firmware files are in place)
    4.3. Install Sailfish OS by picking the SFOS image (this will take quite some time)
    5. Reboot the device

After the initial boot (that will take some time) the language selection and initial setup will show.
    After that it will take a while and then the Jolla tutorial should come up. You can skip the tutorial if you want by clicking the corners of the screen in the following sequence: Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Right, Bottom-Left.

Remarks
    • Recorded-Video playback: Works but uses a nasty hack that might have stability and security effects.

Known not to work
    • There is an issue switching from video-playback to camera. Sometimes the camera app hangs afterwards -> reboot.

Change-log:
    Current Version
    Version 20171102
    • updated to version 2.1.2.3 (complete rebuild and code cleanup)
    • fixed screen startup on reboot (aka lipstick-hack) -> stable reboots
    • probably the best and most stable build up to now.
    Version 20170604
    • updated to version 2.1.0.11 (fixes also USB "Alwas ask" mode)
    Version 20170218
    • fixed sdcard mounting
    Version 20170214
    • Proper fix to sensorfw accepted upstream -> removed sensor hack
    • Fixed camera startup and video recording. Works on first start now and does not crash on restart
    • Hack to make playback of recorded video work.
    Version 20170209
    • Fixed acceleration and rotation sensor
    • improved video recording - still not working properly
    Version 20170205
    • Fixed and added FM-Radio
    • added Mozilla Location Service as location provider
    • built on mer OBS - preparation for OTA updates in the future
    Version 20170122
    • Added Bluetooth
    Version 20170117
    • Initial release of Beta 1

Credits:
    mal, sledges, MisterMagister - et al. from the #sailfish-porters IRC channel on freenode
    These guys are doing amazing work and their competence and readiness to help is really inspiring.
    Without their support this would not have been possible!

Have fun - Guhl
    Beta 4

Hi,
    I released Beta 4.

It mainly fixes the sensors (acceleration and rotation). As Motorola did a real nasty hack in the acceleration kernel driver and the closed source sensor-library I also had to do a nasty hack to get the sensors working. For now this is done by a script that monitors the screen on/off state and also enables/disables the sensor chip that is responsible for acceleration, magnetometer and compass.
    If you are interested see here:
    https://github.com/guhl/droid-config-thea/commit/27dff552d1d655a44917ab68536c27d55eeb2b2f

I will integrate this functionality into the regular Sailfish OS (mer) sensorfw service to remove the hack-script and try to get that integrated upstream.

Have fun - Guhl
    Nice works, congrats
    I will test soon
    Thanks!!
    Beta 2

Hi,

I uploaded Beta 2.
    Bluetooth is working,
    Video recording is not - do not try!

Have fun - Guhl