[GUIDE] Change Bootanimation !

Search This thread

great_manish

Jul 2, 2011
Credit goes to sakindia123 and this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1375547

Step 1 :

Place the files "samsungani" and "bootanimation" in /system/bin

Make sure these files have execute permission (-rwxr-xr-x)

Step 2 :

Place "sanim.zip" in /system/media

This file contains the boot animation. You can use bootanimation.zip file from other threads but they should be renamed to sanim.zip to work properly.

ex thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053250

Step 3 :

Remove "bootsamsung.qmg" and "bootsamsungloop.qmg" from /system/media

As a standard good practice, you can keep a backup of these files somewhere on your sdcard/pc.

Step 4 :

Reboot and enjoy ! :D

Note : This works on my Samsung Galaxy R with 2.3.5 stock rom.

Attachments

• sanim.zip
    936.4 KB · Views: 616

zerocool_rkl

Oct 11, 2011
The above method doesnt work in the Indian ROM. I get nothin in the bootup other than the bootup sound. Then directly the Homescreen

M

m.kochan10

The above method doesnt work in the Indian ROM. I get nothin in the bootup other than the bootup sound. Then directly the Homescreen

That's when you don't copy the right sanim.zip to your system/media/ folder.
First of all when you download the custom "bootanimationfile".zip it's not enough just to rename it! you must extract the package, find bootanimation.zip (not sure about location inside .zip but i guess it is /data/local or /system/data/local.) THIS file must be renamed to sanim.zip and copied to your /system/media. IT must work if you followed other steps above. I'm pretty sure it works on every FW!

zerocool_rkl

Oct 11, 2011
In my phone there is no bootanimation.zip . There are some bootanimation.omg files. I googled them up an found that they r samsung's propitory format.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using XDA App

M

m.kochan10

Dude...read tutorial and that what I wrote one more time. Nobody said you have bootanimation.zip on your phone. Guide works like a charm!

zerocool_rkl

Oct 11, 2011
"find bootanimation.zip (not sure about location inside .zip but i guess it is /data/local or /system/data/local."

Told by you

M

m.kochan10

Then you should cite the whole sentence :)

" First of all when you download the custom "bootanimationfile".zip it's not enough just to rename it! you must extract the package, find bootanimation.zip (not sure about location inside .zip but i guess it is /data/local or /system/data/local.) "

I was talking about one of the custom boot animations package ( that can be found e.g. here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053250 ) even localization I mentioned concerns the .zip file not the system folder of your device.

Of course we don't have bootanimation.zip in our stock, we have sanim.zip instead. Which is written in OP's tutorial above.

KitsumiMaru

Dec 23, 2011
Shanghai
Then you should cite the whole sentence :)

" First of all when you download the custom "bootanimationfile".zip it's not enough just to rename it! you must extract the package, find bootanimation.zip (not sure about location inside .zip but i guess it is /data/local or /system/data/local.) "

I was talking about one of the custom boot animations package ( that can be found e.g. here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053250 ) even localization I mentioned concerns the .zip file not the system folder of your device.

Of course we don't have bootanimation.zip in our stock, we have sanim.zip instead. Which is written in OP's tutorial above.

LOL Kochan - this guy ain't getting it.... maybe he should just download 'ROM Toolbox' and change the boot anim's from there.....much simpler for the newbies :D

No offence meant at all, sometimes it's just easier to have a program do these things for you ^.^

gumsle

Feb 22, 2012
Change boot animation ardatdat 1.6

Can't figure it out, it doesnt work - no way. Followed the Tutorial exactly and tried different things. Finally i tried the sanim.zip from the first post in this thread. Black bootscreen but with the crappy Samsung sound :mad: :mad: :mad:

Firmware is stock XWKJ4, with ardatdat kernel 1.6

Could the kernel be the problem??

Last edited:
M

m.kochan10

Of course it works. I've used XWLA4 as well. Worked like a charm. It has nothing to do with kernel.

1) Have you downloaded packages, extracted (custom booting.zip )and replaced stock "samsungani" and "bootanimation" (in /system/bin) with those u got from package?

2)Have you removed "bootsamsung.qmg" and "bootsamsungloop.qmg" from /system/media?

3) Have you found a proper bootanimation.zip, renamed it to sanim.zip an placed in /system/media?

If you accomplished all steps above...your bootanimation.zip (sanim.zip) must be corrupted. Remember it's NOT a flashable package.! If you found somewhere a flashable version (it works only on AOSP/AOKP/CM roms) it must be extracted and then the right file must be copied to /system/media.

And one more thing. Bootanimation has nothing to do with bootsound. Wanna change bootsound, go to /system/etc and replace PowerOn.wav (this stands for bootsound), 1_Power_on.ogg (if you ignore this you won't be able to switch bootsound on/of together with setting you phone profile silent/normal) with your preferred ones.

gumsle

Feb 22, 2012
@m.kochan10

1. yes
2. yes, but there is also a file called "odeanim.qmg". Do you know what this is?
3. after fiddling around with my own files did`nt work i finally downloaded the sanim.zip from the first post here. I did not touch it and put it to system/media. No success! Of course my own animation also did not work. Tried to generate the animation with this Boot Animation Creator from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1234611. No success!
:(

So there is no bootscreen now, i only see the Samsung GalaxyR letters then straight to homescreen. Thanks for the tip with the bootsound. Thats going to be the next i try. But first i need to change the animation.

Few questions:

a. does it matter if i take jpeg or png?
b. the pics of the animation need to have the resolution of my screen, right? 480x800
c. or do smaller pics just show up in the middle of the screen?

Thanks 4 helping!:eek:

M

m.kochan10

2. Leave odeanim.qmg alone ;) It won't help you by any means.

3. I attached a working sanim.zip just push it with root explorer to /system/media and reboot. We'll see if it work.

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your questions about creating bootanimation files. It's not my field (yet ;) )

Attachments

• sanim.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 26

gumsle

Feb 22, 2012
I give up!

-tried your sanim.zip - nothing.
-downloaded Custom Booting.zip again, unpacked it this time with Winrar instead of 7zip and copied them to system/bin (checked permissions-ok) - nothing.

There are not so many chances to f**ck this up but still it does`nt work.

Running out of ideas what to try out anyway. :confused:
So i just wait and hope for ICS, CM7, CM9 or whatsoever and give it another try then.

Where is the thread where i can ask for ETA of these roms? :D
(just joking...)

M

m.kochan10

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I don't own the device so I cannot verify what goes wrong.

In worst case, since you've got nothing to lose, you may try to flash (sometimes you will have to flash several times - i don't know why, but I remember that sometimes I had to do it 8 times in a row before I managed to change a boot animation, you may even try wipe cache/dalvik cache) these zips:

a) Honeycomb - bumblebee 3D - Boot animation (I cannot promise it will work with first flash, but try few more times, it should work)
http://www.mediafire.com/?3kodfmmaxm1le3u

c) Stock One (If you totally give up and wish to revert to stock; same here)
http://www.mediafire.com/?jh76pi7fj6pmr2z

DO NOT EXTRACT: THEY ARE FLASHABLE via CWM!

Last edited:

gumsle

Feb 22, 2012
Since Stock One was no option at all to me: Flashed the Honeycomb - bumblebee 3D once with with wiping cache and dalvik - works perfekt! Gonna try to change it to my own animation soon.

cheers man...

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Wanted to go to bed after last post but could`nt wait to try out. So i put my own sanim.zip instead of the one from Bumblebee 3D and :eek::eek::eek: IT WORKS!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credit goes to sakindia123 and this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1375547

Step 1 :

Place the files "samsungani" and "bootanimation" in /system/bin

Make sure these files have execute permission (-rwxr-xr-x)

Step 2 :

Place "sanim.zip" in /system/media

This file contains the boot animation. You can use bootanimation.zip file from other threads but they should be renamed to sanim.zip to work properly.

ex thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053250

Step 3 :

Remove "bootsamsung.qmg" and "bootsamsungloop.qmg" from /system/media

As a standard good practice, you can keep a backup of these files somewhere on your sdcard/pc.

Step 4 :

Reboot and enjoy ! :D

Note : This works on my Samsung Galaxy R with 2.3.5 stock rom.
    was just going to post this :D
    Will this work on stock kernel??

this method is for Stock ROM only, so try it should work flawless with stock kernel also....
    This doesn't work on a number of other Samsung devices, because the compiled bootanimation program in this bundle refers to non-existent shared libraries on certain devices. Here's how to check if that's the case on your system:

1. Install the bootanimation file from this package into /system/bin/bootanimation.test

2. Make sure it has 755 permissions (rwxr-xr-x).

3. Use a terminal emulator program to go into su, and then navigate to /system/bin

3. Issue this command:

./bootanimation.test

4. If you see any errors referring to "reloc_library" which end with "CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE", then this bootanimation executable will not work, because it refers to one or more non-existent shared libraries on your device.

Suggestion: relink this new bootanimation executable as a static binary and resubmit it here. This will ensure that it doesn't try to run any shared libraries on the current device. I don't know if this kind of static linking is possible under Android, although it's a technique that often works to solve these kinds of problems under Unix/Linux.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Another issue with this method:

On my phone (Galaxy S Relay 4G) and probably also on other Samsung devices, the system overwrites /system/bin/samsungani with the original version upon every reboot. This prevents the altered samsungani executable from running.
    .​