[HOW-TO] Root stock Gingerbread on Optimus 2X (P990) for Dummies.

Search This thread

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
(This how-to uses Windows.)

All credit goes to Rusty!, ChainsDD and Koush.

Step 1: (Download software, boot phone in APX-mode).
First you need to download Rusty!'s excellent ClockworkMod NVFlash-installer. (Mirror.) Then download the SU303.zip-package attached in this post and place it on your external SD-card, if you have one, if not place it on the internal one. Extract the contents of Rysty's .rar to a directory on any drive, I'll refer to this as C:\NV, but you can name it anything you like. Power off your phone and remove the battery. If you are using a desktop computer, plug the full-size USB-plug directly into a port on the motherboard (backside of the case usually). Press and hold volume-up AND volume-down while plugging the micro-USB into the phone.

The next step is for people (well, computers really) who have not used NVFlash before. If you have, skip to Step 3.

Step 2: (Install APX-driver.)
If you have not used this mode before, called APX- or NVFlash-mode, your computer will indicate it has found a new device it has no driver for. The screen on the phone will remain black.

Right-click My Computer, select Manage, then Device-management. You should see a device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right-click it, select update/install driver. Select to manually search for a driver. Browse to C:\NV\driver, click Next. You should be greeted by a message telling you that «NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices» has been installed.

Step 3: (NVFlash ClockworkMod.)
Windows 7/Vista:
Navigate to the C:\NV folder, double-click the script called «flash-recovery». If you have an external SD-card press 2, if not press 1.

Windows XP:
If you have an SD-card, double-click the "install_external_xp" batch-file, if not double-click the "install_internal_xp" batch-file.

The phone will display a Software-upgrade-screen, while the command-window will inform you of the progress. After a little while it'll be finished and you can press any key to exit. (Now, where's that 'any'-key again?) Just to be safe, wait another 10 seconds before removing the usb-cable from the phone, cutting its power. Now install the battery again.

Step 4: (Start ClockworkMod, install su.)
Hold volume-down while pressing the power-key. Keep both buttons pressed until you see an LG-Logo with a bluish halo. Now you should be in the regular ClockworkMod. Choose «Install Zip from sdcard» (by navigating to it with the volume-buttons, then select it with the power-button) then «choose zip from sdcard». Navigate to where you put SU303.zip, select it and confirm. After a short while it'll inform you it's done. Press back-button, select «reboot system now.»

Step 5. (Install Busybox.)
Now go the market and install and run «Busybox installer» by JRummy16. Grant it root access when it asks, click OK bottom right, scroll to the bottom of the next screen and click Install. Voila, you're done. You can now do all the things you usually do, like restoring Titanium Backups etc.

Attachments

• SU303.zip
    615 KB · Views: 44,418
Last edited:

remczar69

Dec 7, 2010
Hi,

I have a problem. I'm on Step 3 and when I double-click the flash-recovery.bat the black command screen appears for a secend and then dissappears. What can I do to fix it?
I am running Windows XP.

remczar69

Dec 7, 2010
I have a german system so it says:

Der Befehl "choice" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder konnte nicht gefunden werden

which you can translate to: The command "choice" is either written incorrectly or could not be found

Last edited:

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Oh dear, just checked and choice was removed from Windows 2000 and (more importantly) Windows XP, I think I made a batch file that wont work for a lot of people :D

I'll have to knock up a couple of substitutes.

remczar69

Dec 7, 2010
Oh dear, just checked and choice was removed from Windows 2000 and (more importantly) Windows XP, I think I made a batch file that wont work for a lot of people :D

I'll have to knock up a couple of substitutes.

I did google the issue and I have also found that it's been removed. I was just about to post it :) Any idea how long would it take you to fix it so we can root our phones?

Thanks mate!

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Mediafire seems broken for me, so I can't get at my bloody stuff to modify things!

If someone could upload the .bat file, I'll be able to sort it in like 10 secs.

Craxx

Feb 16, 2005
edit the flash-recovery.bat file from:

@echo off
echo.
echo. -------------------------------
echo. Russ' NVFlash Recovery Flasher
echo.
echo. 1. CWM 4.0.1.5 Internal
echo. 2. CWM 4.0.1.5 External
echo. X. Exit
echo.
choice /c 12X /m "Please pick a recovery, or exit"
if errorlevel 3 goto exit
if errorlevel 2 goto external
if errorlevel 1 goto internal
:internal
echo Attempting to flash internal recovery...
nvflash --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 14 cwm-int.img
echo.
echo Program will now exit
pause
goto exit
:external
echo Attempting to flash external recovery...
nvflash --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 14 cwm-ext.img
echo.
pause
goto exit
:exit

to this version for intern SD-Card:
@echo off
echo.
echo.
nvflash --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 14 cwm-int.img
echo.
pause
goto exit

...and this version for external SD-Card:
@echo off
echo.
echo.
nvflash --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 14 cwm-ext.img
echo.
pause
goto exit

Hope this help you;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (This how-to uses Windows.)

All credit goes to Rusty!, ChainsDD and Koush.

Step 1: (Download software, boot phone in APX-mode).
    First you need to download Rusty!'s excellent ClockworkMod NVFlash-installer. (Mirror.) Then download the SU303.zip-package attached in this post and place it on your external SD-card, if you have one, if not place it on the internal one. Extract the contents of Rysty's .rar to a directory on any drive, I'll refer to this as C:\NV, but you can name it anything you like. Power off your phone and remove the battery. If you are using a desktop computer, plug the full-size USB-plug directly into a port on the motherboard (backside of the case usually). Press and hold volume-up AND volume-down while plugging the micro-USB into the phone.

The next step is for people (well, computers really) who have not used NVFlash before. If you have, skip to Step 3.

Step 2: (Install APX-driver.)
    If you have not used this mode before, called APX- or NVFlash-mode, your computer will indicate it has found a new device it has no driver for. The screen on the phone will remain black.

Right-click My Computer, select Manage, then Device-management. You should see a device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right-click it, select update/install driver. Select to manually search for a driver. Browse to C:\NV\driver, click Next. You should be greeted by a message telling you that «NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices» has been installed.

Step 3: (NVFlash ClockworkMod.)
    Windows 7/Vista:
    Navigate to the C:\NV folder, double-click the script called «flash-recovery». If you have an external SD-card press 2, if not press 1.

Windows XP:
    If you have an SD-card, double-click the "install_external_xp" batch-file, if not double-click the "install_internal_xp" batch-file.

The phone will display a Software-upgrade-screen, while the command-window will inform you of the progress. After a little while it'll be finished and you can press any key to exit. (Now, where's that 'any'-key again?) Just to be safe, wait another 10 seconds before removing the usb-cable from the phone, cutting its power. Now install the battery again.

Step 4: (Start ClockworkMod, install su.)
    Hold volume-down while pressing the power-key. Keep both buttons pressed until you see an LG-Logo with a bluish halo. Now you should be in the regular ClockworkMod. Choose «Install Zip from sdcard» (by navigating to it with the volume-buttons, then select it with the power-button) then «choose zip from sdcard». Navigate to where you put SU303.zip, select it and confirm. After a short while it'll inform you it's done. Press back-button, select «reboot system now.»

Step 5. (Install Busybox.)
    Now go the market and install and run «Busybox installer» by JRummy16. Grant it root access when it asks, click OK bottom right, scroll to the bottom of the next screen and click Install. Voila, you're done. You can now do all the things you usually do, like restoring Titanium Backups etc.
    edit the flash-recovery.bat file from:

@echo off
    echo.
    echo.
    echo. 1. CWM 4.0.1.5 Internal
    echo. 2. CWM 4.0.1.5 External
    echo. X. Exit
    echo.
    choice /c 12X /m "Please pick a recovery, or exit"
    if errorlevel 3 goto exit
    if errorlevel 2 goto external
    if errorlevel 1 goto internal
    echo.
    pause
    goto exit
    echo.
    pause
    goto exit

to this version for intern SD-Card:
    @echo off
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    pause
    goto exit

...and this version for external SD-Card:
    @echo off
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    pause
    goto exit

Hope this help you;)
    Awesome

Hi Thanks man :good:

Awesome guide, it took me hardly 5 minutes to root my phone without any issues.