[Q] Unrooted ROM

Search This thread

WSFrazier

Jul 13, 2007
This may sound odd, but are there any non-rooted roms for the T-Mobile GS4 that are stripped down of all the Samsung bloatware, etc?

My company requires me to run MaaaS360 MDM on my device for email, and it detects root. However, I can't stand to go back to stock touchwiz. Looking for a rom that is stripped down of the bloat, but doesn't have root, if it exists? No touchwiz at all would be great, but I can always just put another launcher on myself.

Thanks!

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
This may sound odd, but are there any non-rooted roms for the T-Mobile GS4 that are stripped down of all the Samsung bloatware, etc?

My company requires me to run MaaaS360 MDM on my device for email, and it detects root. However, I can't stand to go back to stock touchwiz. Looking for a rom that is stripped down of the bloat, but doesn't have root, if it exists? No touchwiz at all would be great, but I can always just put another launcher on myself.

Thanks!

2 options.

You may be able to hide root. They are several apps on Google Play that are supposed to do exactly that. They basically act as a fire wall and route all requests to search for Superuser to run through the app, and only allow approved apps to see root. Their effectiveness varies. Try a few and see if you can find one that works.

As for a non rooted ROM, you can un-root any ROM. Find any ROM you like, install it. Then open Superuser settings and you should find an option to uninstall Superuser. Just click it and Superuser will remove itself.

You can always keep a flashable superuser.zip on your SD card too so you can reboot to recovery, flash superuser to get root if you need it to fix somthing, then unistall it again when you are done.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Have you tried any xposed modules to hide root from that app? And there are also stripped stock ROMs.. once you flash them you can go into the superuser app and select to unroot

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

WSFrazier

Jul 13, 2007
I would love to run an AOSP rom, such as CM11, but I fear something that out of ordinary might get picked up easier by the MDM, besides it just being rooted. Not sure what else the MDM scans for.

Any recommendations on a stripped down stock rom ?

Last edited:

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
I would love to run an AOSP rom, such as CM11, but I fear something that out of ordinary might get picked up easier by the MDM, besides it just being rooted. Not sure what else the MDM scans for.

Any recommendations on a stripped down stock rom ?

There is nothing out of the ordinary with an AOSP rom. It's made by Google.

If anything TouchWiz is the rom that's full of extra uneeded stuff.

You can certainly flash the pure Google edition ROM and unroot it. It's pure AOSP, just like if you were using a Nexus 5. Nothing aftermarket about it.

WSFrazier

Jul 13, 2007
There is nothing out of the ordinary with an AOSP rom. It's made by Google.

If anything TouchWiz is the rom that's full of extra uneeded stuff.

You can certainly flash the pure Google edition ROM and unroot it. It's pure AOSP, just like if you were using a Nexus 5. Nothing aftermarket about it.

Well I also wonder if an AOSP rom like that would require root more than a stripped down stock rom. If I unroot with an AOSP, is it going to function correctly?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Well I also wonder if an AOSP rom like that would require root more than a stripped down stock rom. If I unroot with an AOSP, is it going to function correctly?

Yes it will function correctly.

It is the google edition rom, deved by google itself. Its the rom that comes stock on the S4 Google Edition.

No rom NEEDS root to work. Every rom has root access itself. It does not need Superuser because its already installed on the system partition.

Only some apps need root access to work. Without root those apps wont work but the rom will be just fine.

Sent from your phone. You should be more careful where you leave that thing.