[Guide] Original VS. Fake BST-41 XPERIA X1 Battery

Search This thread

Reversedhex

Nov 12, 2008
Amsterdam
From the picture provided, the build quality isn't the same. You can definately tell which one is genuine by looking at it, but the scary thing is the counterfeit items look better and better. Not for long, we won't be able to tell which one is the real product.

i fail to see the problem, if we dont notice the difference who cares if it is fake or not?

pdamouse

Apr 30, 2009
i fail to see the problem, if we dont notice the difference who cares if it is fake or not?

I hear you - and for me I've had a fake spare battery for my SD750 Camera for years and it lasted longer than the OEM one.

I did purchase, for $2.99 + $0.50 shipping, a fake battery on eBay. I knew it was fake, and I was fine with it not lasting as long as the OEM. However, my problem is that it has a tendency to die instantly. It goes from 50% power reading (or some other similar high level) to 0% in an eyeblink and just shuts off. Not the best thing to have in a phone that you may not be using regularly, but just expect to ring when you get a call...

Just my 2 cents - if you have no other way to get power and you check it often then the battery is still worth $3 - but just don't expect to have a warning when it's running low.

sonus

Jan 25, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with the Amazon battery? Their BST-41 sells around 30-40 US dollars. However, I have no idea if the battery is fake or real.. If anyone knows, please speak up!

siemensfun1

Jan 29, 2008
tbilisi
Does anyone have any experience with the Amazon battery? Their BST-41 sells around 30-40 US dollars. However, I have no idea if the battery is fake or real.. If anyone knows, please speak up!

i contat to that seller who is selling this battery abut 44$
and answer was like that
"we sell only brand new and original product"

but i don't belive that
where thay get this batteryes so low price when REAL Original on SONYSTYLE is about 89$

:(

Steve_God

May 27, 2009
Manchester
I bought one off ebay.co.uk from "echnouk" for £9.95 they are touted as removed from returned phones. Mine looks genuine when compared to your pics and lasts longer than the original battery does now.
If anyone is after a cheap genuine battery I can recommend this guy

I've been looking at that seller as it seems highly recommended.
Dilemma I have is he sells 'A Grade' for £9.95, and 'B Grade' for £6.95.
Any idea what the difference is?

Steve_God

May 27, 2009
Manchester
Doesn't matter, I've had a reply from him:
"A grade batteries are clean without major marks. B grade batteries have some visible cosmetic marks." - Will give one of these B-Grades a go :)

KaptainCanada

Mar 12, 2008
X1a Battery (But then, isn't that... Human Nature? - OR IS IT!?? - )

X1a Battery

I lost my back up battery that I got from SONY services in The Philippines as as thank you promo Free-bee and I always want a back up battery, having had the TYTN and the especially the thinner version of the HTC DIAMOND TOUCH and having small brand-name extra thin digital cameras all taught me taht - having at least one back-up battery is a very good idea.

So I went to the NET and found the sonyEricsson X1a - SE-Xperia BST-41 Battery was INSANELY expensive at $120 Canadian Full Retail +Tax of almost 13% tax. My wholesaler offered it to me for $80 PLUS the Montreal, Quebec Canada sales combined sales taxes of 12.875% (gotta pay for Medicare & Gov't salaries somehow, HUH? Eh? *lol*) ...

So - I eBay'ed it and coughed up only W$6.99 per battery knock-offs I presume? (dubious of it's 'decency'but certain of it not being a major financial investment) and then I got them with no duty and free delivery and arrived for under $18 CDN bux for 2 of them and guess what? I didn't pay 80 bux Xs 2Xs 12.875% tax for a total of 180.60 but about 1/10th the cost - and the batteries work 98.7865% just as well - so for the difference of 10 Xs the price, at least! I am Fine with That! (Moral issues aside, of course :)

I hate financing a Human Rights Violating Country like CHINA, but hasn't excessive and abusive Capitalism caused us all to stop feeding ourselves, in favor the Overly Powerful that we created by buying from them as THEY themselves - Our own North American companies, violated other countries for their ability to be endentured, slave-like, cheap labor forces, themselves!?) except the BUSH Oil empire running a certain large country, Bill Gates and the now worlds' richest man who is a Mexican Power Broker and (alleged)cellular phone services magnate?

OK so we are still making individuals in the Americas overly power-mongering wealthy Capitalists *l0l* - but if we Spread the Power by buying elsewhere, then not the Local Americas, but OTHERS, are rewarded by us as we reduce our own cost factors by 90% and in the process, enriching ALL OUR OWN LIVES, while challenging the old Guard - So in effect - by shopping on eBay and buying from OTHER countries - besides the USA buying form Canada and vice-versa, we are making a political statement that we admonish excessive and Abusive Capitalism - and one day - all the rest of the world, will take a FULL 1 WEEK Moratorium and not buy anything from CHINA - and that'll Show 'em! THEN... then we will go right back to buying from The Best prices suppliers with Decent quality, all over again.

I am sure if we had Space exploration, the powers that got there first would enslave the locals as cheep labor as they raped their natural resources and showed complete disregard for their well-being (AVATAR?!?? China in TIBET? USA for IRAQ Oil? Canadians SHOPPING in FLORIDA? *l0l*)

But then, isn't that... Human Nature?

As Denis Miller says...
- that's just my opinion.
[ OR IS IT!?? ]:p

Last edited:

robotdevil

Jun 20, 2009
For all those buying fake batteries and hoping for the best, remember to test all batteries with a voltometer or multimeter before using. If you get anything below 4.0v or above 4.4v, I would be concerned.

aztr0

Apr 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So he claimed it was from Sony Singapore when the battery prints in simplified Chinese that its "Sony Ericsson product (China) corporation"?

jannox1

Mar 20, 2011
AFIK you don't need special charger for different batteries (as long as charger gives out atleast 500mA, some laptops/computers/chargers don't althou they say they should).

Utking

Jun 30, 2008
Arendal
Yes, I do say! There were several older threads about this phone getting warm/hot. And one person suggested because the battery should be of higher capacity. So I went for this Mugen Power 1800mAh.
When it came it looked really like "what the heck did I buy", and the charge seems to be shorter then the OEM (like about 1 hour or so). BUT the most important part for me is solved, the battery temp stays ALWAYS below 30°C!

Once my OEM went up to 55 and somebody said its close to im/explode.

The phone still gets warm but probably because of the CPU working, definately NOT the battery.

I recommend the 1800mAh anytime! But not this 3600 as somebody stated this is just 2 of those packed together and the phone cannot calculate the real charge and this cover you need looks cheap and probably is!

Hope that helped! Just don't buy this or any other battery off ebay! Go buy it at the dealer to be safe rather then sorry! ;)

Haha, the new battery doesn't have a inbuilt reader, that's why it always says 25,9 :)

neoofoox

Jun 22, 2008
Nuremberg
I bought a "Original Sony Ericcson Battery BST-41 by SonyEricsson" at Amazon.de
I unpacked the package and in there was a Battery that I think it is a fake Battery not a Original one

Here are some Pictures, the Hologram is missing and the pinting is different, and there are no small "holes" in the bottom of the Battery

Do you agree with me that it is a Fake one?
- I think so.

Should I send it back?

Here are the pictures on the left side the Original one included in the Xperia X1 on the right side the one from Amazon

Pic1.jpg Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg Pic4.jpg

EDIT: sent it back, after I wrote the seller, which said, that they never sent batteries without that hologramm.
I will report back after getting hopefully the right one.

Last edited:

CosmicDan

Jun 19, 2009
Sydney
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
I bought one of eBay a few weeks back too and I think it's a fake, because it says (claims) it's Lithium Ion and I can't find any BST-41's that are anything but Li-Po. With that said however, the hologram is nearly identical to the original and the performance/life of it is MUCH better than my original one - which I know is worn out, but still.

I can't find any site where to get this one. I assume the eBay seller was reselling something from China, but I can't get in contact with him either. I found something on alibaba (which is wholesale though, I know) that claims to have Li-Ion BST-41's but there is no photo of the front of the battery. Anyway, I have attached photo's. Sorry about the moderate blurriness, I ain't good on a camera. If anyone can find this same type of "genuine" Li-Ion BST-41, I recommend it. I think I paid $28 (AU) for it (free postage).

EDIT: The alibaba one is not the same as mine, markings on the back are different.

EDIT2: I remember the original listing might have been from Amazon because I couldn't find the battery in my eBay history, but I can't find anything on any of the sites I buy goods from. I do remember though that it came in retail packaging (orange and white I think? Or is it green and white?) And the product listing said it was for X1. But I run an X10, same BST-41 (also same as Xperia Play).

Attachments

• IMG_20120618_123408.jpg
    IMG_20120618_123408.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20120618_123425.jpg
    IMG_20120618_123425.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

narflynn619

May 25, 2011
On board Nebuchadnezzar.
mind you, MSM-HK is the best brand for aftermarket batteries.. it gives equivalent performance to the original ones.. and oh, there are FAKE and ORIGINAL MSM-HK batteries, too! you must have bought the fake ones..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've bought new BST-41 Battery off ebay weeks ago.
    He claim that they're "100% Original BST-41 New Sony Ericsson Battery X1 X-1 " and "From Sony Ericsson Singapore (NOT CHINA FAKE BATTERY)"
    with the price of 17.99$ and free shipping so, I think I should give it a try.
    As suspected, it is a fake, very neat fake I must say.

1.jpg

As you can see, they are almost identical.

2.jpg

Hologram reflects at ~30 degree. The fake hologram will elevated from label a little (like stick them on top), but the original will smooth across surface.

3.jpg

Hologram closeup. The fake one have more pixelation than the original.
    Look at both SE logo and the word "SONY ERICSSON" around it.

4.jpg

Label closeup. Look at "Sony Ericsson" and "+" (positive), they will have some blur edge and not crisp.

5.jpg

Label closeup (lower part). The word "WNBTS" alignment off a little.

6.jpg

Back side. The fake one will have overlapping label.

7.jpg

Top side. You will notice that the battery shape is not identical, the fake one will have round edge, the original will have more square like edge. This is the easiest way to detect.
    Another consideration is the "Moisture Sensor", the fake one will have "plain paper" instead of the moisture sensor (I have tried pouring water over it and the color won't change) and the size is larger too.

8.jpg

Bottom side. The original will have a hole (to depress pressure in case of exploding).

As of now, I've contacted the seller and ask him whether this is the original or not.
    He replies "Yes it is original sony battery.. pls try to use it and by using it, u will know it is original."

What should I do?

File a dispute to Paypal? Contact SE to confirm it? Report the item to ebay?

I want to hear an opinion from you guys.

Thanks everyone who read this.
    Kan