[MOD][CM9][May 4th] Custom Control of App Permissions on HTC Pyramid

Search This thread

atltrickster

Feb 25, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
PDroid-banner.png

This mod works on OpenSensation/CM9 builds only. I have not tested it on AOKP.

What is PDroid?

PDroid allows you to block an application from accessing any and/or all of the following personal data on your device:

• Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
  • Subscriber ID (IMSI)
  • Phone and mailbox number
  • Incoming call number
  • Outgoing call number
  • GPS location
  • Network location
  • List of accounts (including your google e-mail address)
  • Account auth tokens
  • Contacts
  • Call logs
  • Calendar
  • SMS
  • MMS
  • Browser bookmarks and history
  • System logs
  • SIM information (operator, country)
  • Network information (operator, country)

For device ID, phone and mailbox number, SIM serial, subscriber ID and device location it also allows supplying custom or random values.

Why PDroid is the best way to protect your private data:

• Applications do NOT crash when access to private data is blocked (unlike with Permissions Denied or CM)
  • Fine-grained tuning of access to private data
  • No background service needed
  • Very small memory footprint (~700KB)
  • No impact on battery life
  • No impact on performance (5ms overhead on access to private data; yes, that's 0.005s)
  • 100% reliable unlike ROOT applications (LBE), which need to start their background service on boot
  • No Android permissions required for the app to run
  • It's open-source!

Installation Instructions

1. Make a backup! If the patches don't work due to changes in OpenSensation/CM9, you can reflash your nightly. Better safe than sorry!
  2. Download the Botbrew app from Google Play. It is free and on its way to being open-source.
  3. Launch Botbrew. A bootstrap process will occur that installs some packages necessary to Botbrew's operation.
  4. Find and install the package called "repository-mateorod".
  5. Press the refresh icon located at the bottom left of the packages screen.
  6. Select the package titled "android-framework-pdroid" from the list.
  7. Just to be safe, confirm that pyramid is listed as the Architecture prior to installing. It should be.
  8. Install the package and reboot your device.
  9. Download the PDroid app from Google Play.
  10. Configure PDroid to handle the permissions of any app you like.

Upgrading Nightly Rom Builds

After flashing, launch BotBrew and repair the android-framework-pdroid package.

If the repair screen doesn't launch automatically, just swipe the packages pane all the way to the left.

Reverting to Stock

Uninstall the android-framework-pdroid package using BotBrew. Reboot your handset. All done!

Acknowledgments

vorbeth - For spearheading the effort to bring AOSP ICS to the Sensation and restoring my faith in the XDA community!

mateorod - Responsible for patching the framework for use on the Sensation!!!! :) Check out his post on porting it here!

syvat - The creator of PDroid. The original pdroid thread can be found here.

pastime1971 - Responsible for porting PDroid to Ice Cream Sandwich! His thread can be found here.

My apologies if I have left anyone out! Please message me so I can be sure to give you proper credit!

Last edited:

shiningarmor

Jul 16, 2011
so you're protecting stolen phones? hmm..

just kidding :D
gonna try this once available on sense roms

fcknghst

Feb 7, 2012
Horsens
got bootloop on first try with AOKP(+a few mods). There was a few errors from BotBrew that I ignored. Will update when I have tried again.

atltrickster

Feb 25, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
got bootloop on first try with AOKP(+a few mods). There was a few errors from BotBrew that I ignored. Will update when I have tried again.

Thanks for the feedback. The pdroid system files downloaded via BotBrew are based on the framework included in the May 4th build of OpenSensation.

There have been numerous changes to the framework since then so I imagine the pdroid files need to be updated accordingly. mateorod is the one who can patch them for you.

From the look of things the major work on cyanogenmod mod is close to finished. That being the case, I am going to hold off on having patched files made so that the functionality will continue to function properly across builds and not cause significant errors to occur.

I would encourage you to hold off a bit longer before working on it any further. I assure you the functionality is fantastic, so its worth it for sure.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

V1k70r

Jan 6, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. The pdroid system files downloaded via BotBrew are based on the framework included in the May 4th build of OpenSensation.

There have been numerous changes to the framework since then so I imagine the pdroid files need to be updated accordingly. mateorod is the one who can patch them for you.

From the look of things the major work on cyanogenmod mod is close to finished. That being the case, I am going to hold off on having patched files made so that the functionality will continue to function properly across builds and not cause significant errors to occur.

I would encourage you to hold off a bit longer before working on it any further. I assure you the functionality is fantastic, so its worth it for sure.

Didn't work for me on OpenSensation on the 11/5 build. System hung at the bootlogo. Just to let you know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PDroid-banner.png

This mod works on OpenSensation/CM9 builds only. I have not tested it on AOKP.

What is PDroid?

PDroid allows you to block an application from accessing any and/or all of the following personal data on your device:

• Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
    • Subscriber ID (IMSI)
    • Phone and mailbox number
    • Incoming call number
    • Outgoing call number
    • GPS location
    • Network location
    • List of accounts (including your google e-mail address)
    • Account auth tokens
    • Contacts
    • Call logs
    • Calendar
    • SMS
    • MMS
    • Browser bookmarks and history
    • System logs
    • SIM information (operator, country)
    • Network information (operator, country)

For device ID, phone and mailbox number, SIM serial, subscriber ID and device location it also allows supplying custom or random values.

Why PDroid is the best way to protect your private data:

• Applications do NOT crash when access to private data is blocked (unlike with Permissions Denied or CM)
    • Fine-grained tuning of access to private data
    • No background service needed
    • Very small memory footprint (~700KB)
    • No impact on battery life
    • No impact on performance (5ms overhead on access to private data; yes, that's 0.005s)
    • 100% reliable unlike ROOT applications (LBE), which need to start their background service on boot
    • No Android permissions required for the app to run
    • It's open-source!

Installation Instructions

1. Make a backup! If the patches don't work due to changes in OpenSensation/CM9, you can reflash your nightly. Better safe than sorry!
    2. Download the Botbrew app from Google Play. It is free and on its way to being open-source.
    3. Launch Botbrew. A bootstrap process will occur that installs some packages necessary to Botbrew's operation.
    4. Find and install the package called "repository-mateorod".
    5. Press the refresh icon located at the bottom left of the packages screen.
    6. Select the package titled "android-framework-pdroid" from the list.
    7. Just to be safe, confirm that pyramid is listed as the Architecture prior to installing. It should be.
    8. Install the package and reboot your device.
    9. Download the PDroid app from Google Play.
    10. Configure PDroid to handle the permissions of any app you like.

Upgrading Nightly Rom Builds

After flashing, launch BotBrew and repair the android-framework-pdroid package.

If the repair screen doesn't launch automatically, just swipe the packages pane all the way to the left.

Reverting to Stock

Uninstall the android-framework-pdroid package using BotBrew. Reboot your handset. All done!

Acknowledgments

vorbeth - For spearheading the effort to bring AOSP ICS to the Sensation and restoring my faith in the XDA community!

mateorod - Responsible for patching the framework for use on the Sensation!!!! :) Check out his post on porting it here!

syvat - The creator of PDroid. The original pdroid thread can be found here.

pastime1971 - Responsible for porting PDroid to Ice Cream Sandwich! His thread can be found here.

My apologies if I have left anyone out! Please message me so I can be sure to give you proper credit!

Reserved for future use.
    so you're protecting stolen phones? hmm..

just kidding :D
    gonna try this once available on sense roms

Huh? :confused: This has nothing to do with stolen phones...

It is about preventing your personal data from being collected when you don't want to share it.