[guide] how to revert back to gb from lpy ics

Search This thread

k@ke

Apr 28, 2012
Yea I can confirm that PC Odin safe way I just done it no problem

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

The fact that you didn't brick your Note, doesn't mean that others won't.

There has been ppl who have bricked their Notes, trying to revert back to GB from ICS using PC-Odin method.

AND ZERO BRICKS using AbyssNote 4.2 CWM for full wipe and flashing GB. I can't say that this is 100% safe, but it looks safer than any other method.

You do the math. Don't tell ppl that PC-Odin is 100% safe way to revert back to GB. It just isn't!

DON'T DO FACTORY RESET OR WIPE IF YOU ARE IN ICS XXLPY!!!!!!!

send from my sparkling white Galaxy Note, using XDA Premium.

Reactions: thehackersz

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
Look, I also think that PC Odin must be 100% safe....

provided you didn't do any wipes prior to using it on stock ICS.

If you did, and your Note has a wonky EMMC chip, nothing would work for you: neither PC, Mobile Odin or Abyss.

You're fcuked.

Reactions: anasmonster

k@ke

Apr 28, 2012
I did wipe cache and dalvik cache using ICS CF-root CWM, before we knew that we shouldn't. So are you saying that my Note has "wonky" emmc now and it might brick because of that?

musashiro

Jul 1, 2011
Tarlac
I did wipe cache and dalvik cache using ICS CF-root CWM, before we knew that we shouldn't. So are you saying that my Note has "wonky" emmc now and it might brick because of that?

nobody can say for certain how the bug behaves, :D

but in any case, i never wiped anything on LPY and but i did copy big files before flashing back to GB...

k@ke

Apr 28, 2012
nobody can say for certain how the bug behaves, :D

but in any case, i never wiped anything on LPY and but i did copy big files before flashing back to GB...

This is all so very exciting. :) I might brick today or i might not. Still i choose to go with custom way.

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad

I didn't say that your Note has a wonky chip, I said IF your Note has a wonky chip.

Most Notes are OK, but some have EMMC chip that is susceptible to getting physically damaged by the actions of the b0rked kernel.

So, in other words, you might get a brick, or you mightn't. It's a Russian roulette.

I wasn't very helpful here, now was I?:rolleyes:

Reactions: dhruvmalik

thehackersz

Jun 6, 2010
In Heaven
TBH i wiped my ICS LPY rom using CWM CF LPY kernel twice. I even do a factory reset using OS factory reset. NEVER encountered any thing like the reality of the latest bug/brick problem. So i decided to go back to GB to avoid any more hassle.

NOTE - i flashed my LPY rom using Mobile Odin not Pc Odin

dhruvmalik

Dec 30, 2007
Chicago / India
I feel you are safe on ICS provided you don't do wipes, flashes or formats.
I'd sit tight and wait for the Android heavyweights (Entropy, CF) to find a
solution to the problem.

Thanks Chas!

I figured that it would be the best route. What are your plans with the Note, getting a new MOBO or moving to something else?

TBH i wiped my ICS LPY rom using CWM CF LPY kernel twice. I even do a factory reset using OS factory reset. NEVER encountered any thing like the reality of the latest bug/brick problem. So i decided to go back to GB to avoid any more hassle.

NOTE - i flashed my LPY rom using Mobile Odin not Pc Odin

Even though you have done it, it does not rule out the possibility of incuring issues at a later stage. Perhaps you should sit tight with LPY as suggested by Mr. Chasmodo

Jay-Taicho

Jan 8, 2012
Auckland
Question: Is using Heimdall on a Mac the same as PC Odin on a PC?

Another question: Is 'full-wipe' = 'wipe/data factory' reset in CWM? If not, can someone define full-wipe for me please?

I did a wipe/data in CWM while on CF LPY before flashing TMT 1.2 LPY rom (As per OP instructions). So many contradicting messages floating around threads at the moment!

bentay78

May 4, 2011

If you did, and your Note has a wonky EMMC chip, nothing would work for you: neither PC, Mobile Odin or Abyss.

You're fcuked.

I was on LPY. Did a full wipe on the LPY rom and after a while decided to revert back to GB rom (KK1) so I used the pc odin method and once completed i rebooted to recovery to wipe factory and cache. Now back to GB rom with no problems.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
but see here for more details. lots of users reported bricked when using PC Odin, nothing yet on Mobile Odin (Including Me)

1 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653809
2 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653582
So, wait - because PC Odin failed due to classic symptoms of THE DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE, it's at fault?

Not a single one of those posts shows any evidence that PC Odin bricked their device - they all show indications of users that failed to flash with PC Odin because they MMC was ALREADY DAMAGED.

there's plenty of reports user bricked their device while using Pc Odin. Mobile Odin is the safest for now, coz no one reported anything yet...
There isn't a single report of a user bricking with PC odin - Show me ONE that isn't an example of a user failing to flash in Odin because their partition is already damaged OR is a historic example of a user being an idiot and flashing bootloaders.

You're fcuked.
Yup. PC Odin is the only 100% safe way to install a fresh kernel.

And that's the other BIG problem with this guide - why is it telling a user to go from a dangerous kernel to YET ANOTHER dangerous kernel (XXLPY-based?)

The safest way to get away from ICS is:
Use PC Odin or Heimdall to flash a safe Gingerbread kernel with working CWM (NOT a full firmware package, and DO NOT mess with repartitioning), such as a Gingerbread CF-Root release. From there you can wipe and then flash whatever you want.

To be clear - JUST flash a safe kernel and then wipe/flash using that - don't flash anything else in PC Odin. If the full firmware package you flash has bootloaders it could hose you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crash and mtovari

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS THE GUIDE THAT I MANAGED TO REVERT BACK FROM OFFICIAL LPY ICS TO GB WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

WAS ON ROOTED ICS LPY WITH CF LPY KERNEL

referring to latest bug on LPY rom including E4GT forum, so i decided to revert back to GB. this is the steps that i've done and it's working just fine. It's worked for me and i'm not responsible if this steps doesn't work for you...

- dowmload any GB custom rom, copy to your sdcard
    - download jBroid Kernel Cleaning, copy to yout sdcard
    - download AbyssNote v4.2 kernel, copy to your sdcard
    - download CF LPY kernel, EXTRACT zImage and copy to you sdcard.
    - Mobile Odin, flash zImage
    - reboot to CWM recovery
    - flash jBroid Kernel Cleaning
    - flash AbyssNote v4.2 kernel
    - reboot recovery
    - flash new GB custom rom
    - flash new kernel (if you prefer other than AbyssNote kernel)
    - FULL WIPE
    - REBOOT

*****************************************************************************

Refering to the new bootloader for LPF rom, i managed to go back to GB rom. I flashed LPF rom and decided to try to go back to GB rom.

My method,

- reflashed CWM,
    - flashed AbyssNote 4.2 kernel
    - reboot recovery
    - flashed GB custom rom
    - full wipe

i don't know if this is the correct way to test new samsung bootloader. and i managed to go back to GB checkrom v6 successfully. Try at you own risk!
    Entropy, can we please have a proper guide from you of how to get from LPY/LPF back to GB in the safest way please? :)

That's it right there...

Go to the CF-Root thread. Pick a Gingerbread release - any one will do.

Follow the instructions for installation. (Based on the new information we have on what triggers this bug, Chainfire's DD instructions should be safe. Previously I didn't trust the MMC driver at all, but now I believe that using DD to flash a kernel or Mobile Odin are indeed safe. PC Odin/Heimdall are the safest BUT they will trigger the flash counter. This is not a problem if you're planning to flash CM9 since you can then use TriangleAway.)

Once you have CF-Root installed, pick any Gingerbread CWM-flashable firmware and install it. You can also flash CM9 if you want, since it uses a kernel based on I9100 Update4 sources which is safe if you want ICS.
    but see here for more details. lots of users reported bricked when using PC Odin, nothing yet on Mobile Odin (Including Me)

1 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653809
    2 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653582
    So, wait - because PC Odin failed due to classic symptoms of THE DAMAGE IS ALREADY DONE, it's at fault?

Not a single one of those posts shows any evidence that PC Odin bricked their device - they all show indications of users that failed to flash with PC Odin because they MMC was ALREADY DAMAGED.

there's plenty of reports user bricked their device while using Pc Odin. Mobile Odin is the safest for now, coz no one reported anything yet...
    There isn't a single report of a user bricking with PC odin - Show me ONE that isn't an example of a user failing to flash in Odin because their partition is already damaged OR is a historic example of a user being an idiot and flashing bootloaders.

You're fcuked.
    Yup. PC Odin is the only 100% safe way to install a fresh kernel.

And that's the other BIG problem with this guide - why is it telling a user to go from a dangerous kernel to YET ANOTHER dangerous kernel (XXLPY-based?)

The safest way to get away from ICS is:
    Use PC Odin or Heimdall to flash a safe Gingerbread kernel with working CWM (NOT a full firmware package, and DO NOT mess with repartitioning), such as a Gingerbread CF-Root release. From there you can wipe and then flash whatever you want.

To be clear - JUST flash a safe kernel and then wipe/flash using that - don't flash anything else in PC Odin. If the full firmware package you flash has bootloaders it could hose you.
    Reverted back using Mobile Odin and CF-LC1 kernel. Did not encounter any problems.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    THIS IS THE GUIDE THAT I MANAGED TO REVERT BACK FROM OFFICIAL LPY ICS TO GB WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

WAS ON ROOTED ICS LPY WITH CF LPY KERNEL

referring to latest bug on LPY rom including E4GT forum, so i decided to revert back to GB. this is the steps that i've done and it's working just fine. It's worked for me and i'm not responsible if this steps doesn't work for you...

- dowmload any GB custom rom, copy to your sdcard
    - download jBroid Kernel Cleaning, copy to yout sdcard
    - download AbyssNote v4.2 kernel, copy to your sdcard
    - download CF LPY kernel, EXTRACT zImage and copy to you sdcard.
    - Mobile Odin, flash zImage
    - reboot to CWM recovery
    - flash jBroid Kernel Cleaning
    - flash AbyssNote v4.2 kernel
    - reboot recovery
    - flash new GB custom rom
    - flash new kernel (if you prefer other than AbyssNote kernel)
    - FULL WIPE
    - REBOOT
    PC ODIN is the only safe method to revert back to GB

your method has a chance of bricking the device while flashing the JBroid cleaner or abyssnote kernel.

flash with PC ODIN for a safe retreat to GB