Is my Samsung S4 SGH I337 with 5.01 rootable?

Search This thread

Maury000

Jan 13, 2014
My at&t phone was unlocked and rooted when I got it, but it was lacking the last 6 updates, including lollipop, so I unrooted it to bring it up to date (5.0.1). Now I want to root it again, but haven't found any viable way to do it so far.
I tried Framaroot Plus, but that was a bust, and I had to uninstall it or my phone would personally take me out!! :eek:
I have read about people going back to KitKat, and I'm beginning to think I may do that, providing I can find out how, or perhaps someone out there knows how to root this phone and can show me?? ~Thanks

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
My at&t phone was unlocked and rooted when I got it, but it was lacking the last 6 updates, including lollipop, so I unrooted it to bring it up to date (5.0.1). Now I want to root it again, but haven't found any viable way to do it so far.
I tried Framaroot Plus, but that was a bust, and I had to uninstall it or my phone would personally take me out!! :eek:
I have read about people going back to KitKat, and I'm beginning to think I may do that, providing I can find out how, or perhaps someone out there knows how to root this phone and can show me?? ~Thanks
Go to GalaxyS4Root.com, Zedomax has the rooting methods for all the S4 models and all the builds they come with, if you don't see a method for yours then there probably isn't one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Maury000

Maury000

Jan 13, 2014
Go to GalaxyS4Root.com, Zedomax has the rooting methods for all the S4 models and all the builds they come with, if you don't see a method for yours then there probably isn't one.

Thanks for the reference. Zedomax shows many ways to root the S4 back from 2013 and 2014, but I couldn't find one that would root the SGH-i337 5.0.1. BTW, I suppose I should have mentioned that I have a MAC. I've posted my question on his website. Meanwhile, is there anyone else out there who might be able to help?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Thanks for the reference. Zedomax shows many ways to root the S4 back from 2013 and 2014, but I couldn't find one that would root the SGH-i337 5.0.1. BTW, I suppose I should have mentioned that I have a MAC. I've posted my question on his website. Meanwhile, is there anyone else out there who might be able to help?
I've looked this up before for other members but I don't recall finding anything that will root the 5.0.1 build for your model. You can look into whether or not your device is safe to downgrade to older stock firmware(one that is root able) and then root.

Maury000

Jan 13, 2014
I've looked this up before for other members but I don't recall finding anything that will root the 5.0.1 build for your model. You can look into whether or not your device is safe to downgrade to older stock firmware(one that is root able) and then root.

Thanks again. That settles it; I'll downgrade. The only thing is that I have no idea how to find out whether my device is safe to downgrade to older stock firmware that is root able, Can you point me in the right direction?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Thanks again. That settles it; I'll downgrade. The only thing is that I have no idea how to find out whether my device is safe to downgrade to older stock firmware that is root able, Can you point me in the right direction?
You would need to go to the i337 forum here at XDA and ask other members that have your device, if anyone can tell you, you'll find it there.

Maury000

Jan 13, 2014
You would need to go to the i337 forum here at XDA and ask other members that have your device, if anyone can tell you, you'll find it there.

Finding my way around on this website is usually laborious and confusing. I did find out about "J0din3" for mac, but that was a bust and a great waste of time, because it's too old and now it's undownloadable. So I tried the latest Wine Bottler; it works with el Capitan OSX (what I'm using on the mac) and was able to get Odin to work. However, it's not recognizing my phone, otherwise, I'd be done by now. Have you ever worked with Wine? Can you tell me how I can get the Odin to recognize my phone? Did I do something out of sequence?

And a separate question for xda-dev at large: Why doesn't xda-dev eliminate all the outdated, old, and useless information that rattles around here like satellite debris and gets a lot of people off on the wrong foot?!

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Finding my way around on this website is usually laborious and confusing. I did find out about "J0din3" for mac, but that was a bust and a great waste of time, because it's too old and now it's undownloadable. So I tried the latest Wine Bottler; it works with el Capitan OSX (what I'm using on the mac) and was able to get Odin to work. However, it's not recognizing my phone, otherwise, I'd be done by now. Have you ever worked with Wine? Can you tell me how I can get the Odin to recognize my phone? Did I do something out of sequence?

And a separate question for xda-dev at large: Why doesn't xda-dev eliminate all the outdated, old, and useless information that rattles around here like satellite debris and gets a lot of people off on the wrong foot?!

Sorry, I won't be of any help with Mac and my knowledge of linux is less than rudimentary, never used Wine, I use windows when windows apps are needed.

The old stuff still has useful info that still applies I guess, I've never checked XDA-Dev out, I'm not that deep in it yet. I'm working in other areas. Try posting your issues with getting recognized in this link:

http://xdaforums.com/android/help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.