[Q] Need help with a custom boot animation.

Search This thread
Mar 16, 2014
Hi folks,

I need help in regards to a custom boot animation someone made for me.

Preview:
tumblr_n2eccv6Dev1rgpzseo1_1280.gif

Here is the code for the desc.txt:
600 600 25
p 0 0 part0

Basically, it runs through the animation once (without any edit) and then goes to a black screen until I hear the AT&T boot sound and then the UI shows up (Still have root and all).

I tried editing the desc.txt file for it to repeat on and on, but all I get in return is a black screen. Can anyone help?
I am running the US version the S3 with 4.3, rooted. TouchWiz (I know...) ROM with custom launcher.

I am assuming I may have to flash a custom ROM in order to get rid of the AT&T animation boot (in order to see my custom image all the way until the UI loads).

Can anyone please direct me in the correct direction? I would greatly appreciate that.

Thank you!

Greycloak42

Feb 25, 2011
When you edit the desc.txt it needs to be added back into the archive without compression otherwise it won't work. Try using WinRAR to add the edited file back in to the archive. In the options for zips there will be an option to add files without compression.

Mar 16, 2014
When you edit the desc.txt it needs to be added back into the archive without compression otherwise it won't work. Try using WinRAR to add the edited file back in to the archive. In the options for zips there will be an option to add files without compression.

I'll give that a shot. Would that fix the black screen? Because I do see part of the animation until the moment the AT&T loading GIF appears

EDIT: I think it has something to do with the .zip file.

I have the original file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9go9lvm9jj50z2a/bootanimation.zip

I extracted everything and edited the "desc.txt" file for it to repeat indefinitely, then I used WinZip to archive it back up (no compression) but still no avail.

Last edited:

Greycloak42

Feb 25, 2011
I'll check it out tomorrow and see if i can get it working. Have you been able to get other boot animations to function properly?

Mar 16, 2014
I'll check it out tomorrow and see if i can get it working. Have you been able to get other boot animations to function properly?

Yup! I used an app called "Boot Box" or "Boot Animations" (one of those two, the proper escapes me at the moment).

I asked a friend for his advice, and he suggested that I try coping the part0 folder into part1, and have part1 loop rather part0. Taking a look at other boot animations, that seems to be the right way.

Let me know if you come across any other findings!

EDIT: Tried that, didn't seem to work...perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I'm not compressing the .zip however, so it must be something else...

EDIT 2: So I renamed the images in the part1 folder leaving off from where the part0 left off (part0 ended at img0062, so I started the images in part1 as img0063 and so on). Now I only see the part0 sequence and part1 is a black screen.

EDIT 3: This is the link of my .zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7sihrhzehlyhqxc/_eQ_hxo7K2/bootanimation.zip

Last edited:

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a

Samsung stock roms generally animations with a proprietary animation package that uses *.qmg files. It sounds like your rom still has some of the qmg files??

The text from thedesc.txt file in bootanimation.zip file, which has two parts, 48 images each, in CM10.2.1 is
720 720 48
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

The second part, 'part1' is the part that loops and its 48 images are in a part1 subfolder.

The bootanimation.zip that you posted has 63 images. Why does the description text only have a 20 after the 600 600 if you have 63, not twenty images? I think this is a better bet for desc.txt content:

600 600 63
p 0 part0

For 4.3, you could use your bootanimation.zip file with CM 10.2.1, which is the stable Cyanogenmod rom for Jelly Bean 4.3. If you have an AT&T Galaxy S3, then you can find the rom as device d2att at

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d2att&type=stable

flash it with TWRP or CWM recovery.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2014
Samsung stock roms generally animations with a proprietary animation package that uses *.qmg files. It sounds like your rom still has some of the qmg files??

The text from thedesc.txt file in bootanimation.zip file, which has two parts, 48 images each, in CM10.2.1 is
720 720 48
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

The second part, 'part1' is the part that loops and its 48 images are in a part1 subfolder.

The bootanimation.zip that you posted has 63 images. Why does the description text only have a 20 after the 600 600 if you have 63, not twenty images? I think this is a better bet for desc.txt content:

600 600 63
p 0 part0

The third part is actually the frames per second. It is usually recommended to have it around 15-25 FPS. I could give it a shot though...

I already flashed a CWM .zip that enables animations like these, and I have also successfully installed animations via Boot Animations (animations repeats successfully until UI shows up). So I feel like this animation specifically is the problem. I'm just not sure...

Reactions: laughingT
Mar 16, 2014
Thanks, I was confused about syntax for desc.txt

The xda tutorial mentions some rules for png images. Specifically, no interlacing.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1560836

Could that or some property of the png be the issue? Also, zip compression is off, just STORE when making the zip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Hmm. I'll take a look into that. It may be the png, but the thing is, it goes through one part of the animation then stops.

Was there something actually wrong with my .zip, or were you just mentioning that? :) I'm pretty sure I hit "no compression" on WinZip...

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
Nothing wrong with your zip afaik. 7zip shows no compression.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

What is the complete ROM and flashed mods that you are running?

Mar 16, 2014
Nothing wrong with your zip afaik. 7zip shows no compression.

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

What is the complete ROM and flashed mods that you are running?

I *think* I'm using the stock ROM - as dumb as this sounds, I don't completely remember.

I do remember using ODIN to flash CWM and a couple of .zips to enable the custom bootscreen. Other than that, no other flashed mods apart from the ones installed via XPOSED.

I can use other custom boot animations, and they work fine. It just seems mine is a tad bit glitched. Does it work on your phone?

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
I just booted with your bootanimation.zip on my sgh-i747 that is running cm10.2.1 stable, jb 4.3. I made sure perms set to 644 before booting.

It runs without any problem, after the sgs3 cm splash screens and loops repeatedly until boot completed and my lockscreen appears.

It is something in your rom; most likely designed to run qmg.
perhaps the settings, or the kernel, or syscntrl, or buildprops could me modded. I have no idea.
Your bootanimation.zip is fine.

Probably best to flash a complete AOSP or TW rom that supports custom bootanimations.

Last edited:
Reactions: MintyMeatballs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

720 720 48
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

600 600 63
    p 0 part0

The third part is actually the frames per second. It is usually recommended to have it around 15-25 FPS. I could give it a shot though...

I already flashed a CWM .zip that enables animations like these, and I have also successfully installed animations via Boot Animations (animations repeats successfully until UI shows up). So I feel like this animation specifically is the problem. I'm just not sure...
    I just booted with your bootanimation.zip on my sgh-i747 that is running cm10.2.1 stable, jb 4.3. I made sure perms set to 644 before booting.

It runs without any problem, after the sgs3 cm splash screens and loops repeatedly until boot completed and my lockscreen appears.

It is something in your rom; most likely designed to run qmg.
    perhaps the settings, or the kernel, or syscntrl, or buildprops could me modded. I have no idea.
    Your bootanimation.zip is fine.

Probably best to flash a complete AOSP or TW rom that supports custom bootanimations.