Very Sensitive S Pen

Search This thread

bobotski

May 14, 2011
Good day. I'd like to consult some issues I have with my S Pen sensitivity. It's too sensitive that it triggers a tap or swipe even if the pen is away from the screen (maybe 5-8mm away). Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Firmware is XXLIH. Thanks!

Edit: Also tried turning off Air View and still had same issues.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
the s-pen works with a button integrated into the tip, so it can't cause touches without actually touching something.
it most likely means your tip is broken/stuck so it constantly thinks you're touching the screen.

you can try moving the tip around a bit to see if loosens it enough to respond the way it should, but if that doesn't work you'll have to contact samsung or the store you bought your note 2 at to get either the stylus or the entire phone replaced.
replacing the stylus should be enough, but stores usually don't replace single accessories when they are included with a device.

bobotski

May 14, 2011
the s-pen works with a button integrated into the tip, so it can't cause touches without actually touching something.
it most likely means your tip is broken/stuck so it constantly thinks you're touching the screen.

you can try moving the tip around a bit to see if loosens it enough to respond the way it should, but if that doesn't work you'll have to contact samsung or the store you bought your note 2 at to get either the stylus or the entire phone replaced.
replacing the stylus should be enough, but stores usually don't replace single accessories when they are included with a device.

I did that and actually worked! Pen is now stable onscreen. Will observe if this issue still persists tomorrow. Thanks for the tip (no pun intended ;))

sstanton86

Oct 6, 2011
Oxford
Hey guys. Rather then start a new thread. I did a quick search and found this one.

I have the same issue as the OP. My pen seems too sensitive. When I scroll across apps or through the gallery, whilst hovering the pen a few millimetres above the screen, it clicks on stuff. This shouldn't happen right? It seems it does it more so in the top right corner. If any of you have the samsung weather widget on the homescreen there, all I have to do is hover the pen above the refresh button and it sometimes will just continually click on the refresh button. Its annoying. I'm just hoping its the s pen and not the note itself!

P.s I love this phone! !!

CekMTL

May 16, 2011
Cork
PreCog.me
Funny as I also had this weird behavior, and just rotating a little bit the tip loosened it up, and now all is well.
Tried to reproduce the issue with normal usage, and I wasn't able to trigger it again... will observe for a day and see what to do, as this N2 is just sweeeeet working ! :)

Thx for the tip! :good:

edwinmiller

Oct 2, 2012
Los Angeles
Re:

No doubt i have heard several time about the problem of S Pen over sensitivity but in most cases the reason has been seen with the sensor. So, I think better is that you replace it with Samsung because i don't think there would be any other solution. The problem is related with Sensor and you should replace it as soon as possible.

sstanton86

Oct 6, 2011
Oxford
Thanks guys. As you say, might be difficult to exchange it now as its only the stylus. As the phone is working flawlessly!

I'll use it for a few more days and see. Hopefully it'll loosen on it's own behalf!

sanusweetsmile

Apr 4, 2011
Mumbai
I got the Same problem When I Consulted Samsung Service Centre they showed me that it is even happening in their handset

zergslayer69

Oct 16, 2012
For those with issues, are you using screen protectors? I read one review where a guy mentioned a screen protector was actually interfering with the pen usage. And once he took it off it was ok. It was a matte one in specific.

sanusweetsmile

Apr 4, 2011
Mumbai
Can anyone try this by hovering the s-pen over in the area l have shown in the picture Attached does it open automatically Without touching the screen just over it over this area by keeping the air View On

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350402261074.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350402261074.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,249

rainymetel

Nov 16, 2010
Guri
Can anyone try this by hovering the s-pen over in the area l have shown in the picture Attached does it open automatically Without touching the screen just over it over this area by keeping the air View On

Me, too. It appears more on other launchers- Nova, Apex...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Paganister

Jun 12, 2011
I have this exact issue.

I read somewhere if you hit the back of the pen several times against a hard surface it seems to temporarily fix the issue. Something to do with demagnetizing the magnet inside the pen. Not sure if this is a load of crap, but it seems to be a temporary fix for me.

I contacted Samsung about it and they told me just to reset and reflash the firmware *sigh*. Not sure I want to do that just yet, but I will if no other solution is found soon.

en_thur

Oct 5, 2012
I am not sure if this is right topic to write but my problem is also about s-pen. As you can see in the picture that area what is "over the s-pen holder" does not recognice the pen if immediatly. Like if I am browsing the web and scroll from that area there is always little delay. And when making note it works perfectly if I move pen to this area but not if I land the pen in this area, then happens what you can see in the picture. Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

I hope someone understood what I am trying to say. :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350414854944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350414854944.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,019

sanusweetsmile

Apr 4, 2011
Mumbai
I have this exact issue.

I read somewhere if you hit the back of the pen several times against a hard surface it seems to temporarily fix the issue. Something to do with demagnetizing the magnet inside the pen. Not sure if this is a load of crap, but it seems to be a temporary fix for me.

I contacted Samsung about it and they told me just to reset and reflash the firmware *sigh*. Not sure I want to do that just yet, but I will if no other solution is found soon.

I reset and reflashed abd formatted my data but of no avail

Paganister

Jun 12, 2011
This is what Samsung replied to me. I might as well try it to see if it makes a difference:

Thank you for contacting Samsung.
I am sorry that you are having issues with the S Pen of your Galaxy note
II, I can appreciate your frustration with this as it is a relatively
new device.
A feature of the S Pen is that when within 30mm of the screen, it
disables touch pad functionality with the finger. It should not however
actually do anything without contact with the screen.
Please be advised that the issue reported with the handset indicates
that it may need a software reset, or re-flashing of the firmware, in
order for it to operate normally again.
Before doing this, you should backup all the data from your phone before
going to Menu > Settings > backup and Restore > Select appropriate
functions from list.
If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and
we will be more than happy to help.
Kind regards,
Mícheál

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are two potentiometers directly under the S-Pens button. Left potentiometer (the one that is nearest to the lead) controls the sensitivity of the pen. Adjusting the potentiometer counterclockwise increases sensitivity. Just remove the button cover, and slightly modify the potentiometer.

http://www.android-hilfe.de/samsung...e-2-schlechte-verarbeitung-5.html#post4218059
    There are two potentiometers directly under the S-Pens button. Left potentiometer (the one that is nearest to the lead) controls the sensitivity of the pen. Adjusting the potentiometer counterclockwise increases sensitivity. Just remove the button cover, and slightly modify the potentiometer.

http://www.android-hilfe.de/samsung...e-2-schlechte-verarbeitung-5.html#post4218059

Nice to see a link to my original Post for adjusting the S-Pen here on xda. :)

But my Account there @android-hilfe.de was deleted last night by the Administrator, because i defended myself against a Moderator, who closed several Threads without warning. Now I am here and I want to help the guys (and girls) here on xda.

To open the Pen, just take a pin and put it in the little gap between the pen and the piece of plastic of the button. Then clip the plastic of the button out in upper direction.

best regards

hurricane3d
    Funny as I also had this weird behavior, and just rotating a little bit the tip loosened it up, and now all is well.
    Tried to reproduce the issue with normal usage, and I wasn't able to trigger it again... will observe for a day and see what to do, as this N2 is just sweeeeet working ! :)

Thx for the tip! :good:

This is what Samsung replied to me. I might as well try it to see if it makes a difference:

Thank you for contacting Samsung.
    I am sorry that you are having issues with the S Pen of your Galaxy note
    II, I can appreciate your frustration with this as it is a relatively
    new device.
    A feature of the S Pen is that when within 30mm of the screen, it
    disables touch pad functionality with the finger. It should not however
    actually do anything without contact with the screen.
    Please be advised that the issue reported with the handset indicates
    that it may need a software reset, or re-flashing of the firmware, in
    order for it to operate normally again.
    Before doing this, you should backup all the data from your phone before
    going to Menu > Settings > backup and Restore > Select appropriate
    functions from list.
    If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and
    we will be more than happy to help.
    Kind regards,
    Mícheál