DON'T ACCEPT OTA UPDATES

Search This thread

larry_thagr81

Dec 30, 2012
Because you can now unlock the new bootloader............ have you not read anything in this thread? lol :cyclops: And I believe OTA has been disabled if I remember correctly.....

It has only been disabled in the sense where it will fail to update. But it will download to your phone and keep asking you to install or defer. So I unrooted back to stock with the PIT and Baseline files and then accepted the update. After accepting it, I went ahead and rooted and unlocked the bootloader again.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Any way to JUST get root after update?
I will NOT be downloading ROMs. I will remain stock. I only root to use those apps that require root, i.e. TiBu, some Tasker profiles, etc. and for some phone mods.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Same here and I also like the idea of being able to make a complete backup of my stocked rooted ROM. I can't do that unless the bootloader is unlocked.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Hey guys.

So I rooted awhile ago. Then realized I didn't really need it. So I unrooted. The phone won't take the update. I've checked my internal and external storage and got rid of all the root files, etc. I guess I missed something tho. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Go to the OP on page 1 of this thread and download ODIN, the PIT and updated bootloader Baseline files. Use ODIN to flash the PIT and the updated bootloader Baseline files. That will bring you back to completely stock everything including recovery if you've installed an alternate recovery. If you haven't already, you'll need to download ODIN, which is available from the same thread in the OP. ODIN by the way is for windows only.

You'll need to put your phone into download mode.....
1. Shut the phone down
2. Hold the volume down, home key and then the power key in that order, but all together. (phone should boot into download boot loader mode)
3. Press the volume up to put the phone into downloading mode
4. From within ODIN make sure you are showing a COM status with some assigned number
5. Select PIT and add the PIT file that you downloaded into ODIN
6. Select bootloader and add the updated bootloader baseline into the location
7. Press start and let ODIN flash the PIT and bootloader baseline files
8. The phone will restart and ODIN will show a status of RES, but wait a couple of minutes until it shows PASS and then your completely stocked

Last edited:

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Because you can now unlock the new bootloader............ have you not read anything in this thread? lol :cyclops: And I believe OTA has been disabled if I remember correctly.....

also wanted to say i know you can unlock the new bootloader...im tallking about the next ota possibly relocking again and folks having to go thru the same dilema because they accepted the ota update. i would never suggest accepting any ota on a device thats been unlocked by devs at xda...just sayin.

Reactions: hopesrequiem

cliffco823

Apr 15, 2009
---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Same here and I also like the idea of being able to make a complete backup of my stocked rooted ROM. I can't do that unless the bootloader is unlocked.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Am I understanding this correctly to mean there are only two options: stock(unrooted/locked boot loader) or Rooted + Unlocked bootloader? I am currently Rooted + Locked bootloader. But if I hear what you are saying this is not an option after the update. If I am wrong can you point me in the right direction? I appreciate it.

I am currently rooted with exploit and the update won't take.

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011
also wanted to say i know you can unlock the new bootloader...im tallking about the next ota possibly relocking again and folks having to go thru the same dilema because they accepted the ota update. i would never suggest accepting any ota on a device thats been unlocked by devs at xda...just sayin.

People listen to this guy. He's very knowledgeable. He writes guides to every phone i ever owned. Listen to droidstyle. Hes no noob to android. :beer:

Jan 20, 2008
Block Update Request??

I'm currently click defer when asked to update, and push it back 4 days.
I would like to block the update request. Does anyone know how to do that?
I'm running Clean Rom 4.1.1 on my Verizon Galaxy Note 2.
Thanks in advance!

universexda

Dec 30, 2012
Because "unlocking" your radio is illegal now, so if we're talking "unlocking" bootloaders and putting "unlock" in thread titles, it may appear we're breaking the law. Which is bad.

For those who don't know, unlocking a radio is different from unlocking a boot loader. Unlocking the radio allows you to use your phone on another carrier. Unlocking the boot loader allows you to flash ROMs.

It's illegal to unlock radios only for subsidized (not full price) phones bought *after* Jan. 26, 2013. All Verizon GN2 phones have an unlocked radio, but to use it on a different carrier requires adding the proper APN number to a database on the phone. To do that see DroidXcon's instructions at Android Central.

Baxter Stockman

Feb 7, 2013
I had rooted and received an OTA update in the night. Had to go back to factory defaults. Glad to see the disable SDM can stop OTA updates! Thanks!

neemo6

Feb 29, 2008
So i just upgraded to the NII and took the ota for 4.1.1 am I out of luck to root now? I dont care for roms, just need root.

erica_c40

Nov 22, 2010
Nevermind How do we flash when I can't get rid of the warning?
[

QUOTE=AdamOutler;36922297]UPDATE: New Jailbreak here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

Ci0gY.png

Here's the bottom line up-front
Samsung has inserted code to blacklist our baseline and mitigate our exploits in the bootloader patch they began pushing out last night. You will need to flash the updated bootloader baseline and stock pit in order to restore your device to operational status. The How-To Unlock your Bootloader thread is invalid at this time.

Going Forward
I need your help with CASUAL. In order to mitigate this problem, I began working on a CASUAL update system on January 13. If you feel inconvienced now, contribute to the Casual Update System beta by testing it. Currently, CASUAL is dumb. If there is a problem you won't know until after you flash. The idea behind the Update System is to either update the CASUAL to work again, or kill-switch it and automatically bring you to a thread like this one. Obviously it's infinitely more helpful than a simple failure and I need testing on Windows, Linux, Mac and firewalls.

The CASUAL Unlock method will be updated when we figure it out and it will be possible to auto-update or do a helpful kill-switch in the next version.

Addressing Security Patches:
Recognized Developer Ralekdev has began work on a new exploit. It's not going to be as simple as it was before.

Bootloader Blacklisting
You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/zzfhwlrgeeuzweiccjdpvg#22
Previously, Odin Mode would accept any SBOOT with the proper signature. Samsung has implemented a blacklist which causes properly signed flashes to fail if they are contained in the blacklist.
Code:
      bytes_to_hexstr(BL1_blacklist_str, base_addr + 0x1BF0, 16);
      if ( !strcmp(BL1_blacklist_str, BL1_blacklists[i]) )
      {
        sub_43E03A00("BL1 of the blacklist - %s\n", BL1_blacklists[i]);
        return -1;
      }
The old bootloader contained random ARM hex data "CD D2 04 85 63 83 52 7C C9 8A 97 1A CD 30 78 FB".. The new one contains an identifier "EXYNOS_4412 1220". The new bootloader is also programmed to not be able to flash itself.

Non-Header Code Execution
You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/ryxaraypnnhbmtt6nswvq
Previously, if the ANDROID header was missing from the kernel, SBOOT would execute the partition as raw ARM code. This allowed Ralekdev's exploit to jump into the SBOOT.bin and execute download mode without security checks. However the code has been replaced..
Code:
  if ( !memcmp(v5, "ANDROID!", 8) )
  {
    *** DO NORMAL SECURE BOOT ****
  }
  else
  {
    dprintf("Could not do normal boot. (invalid magic)\n");// this is where we exploited it last time to load my code
    s5p_start_download_mode(v9);
  }
  return 0;
}
So obviously, this execution of arbitrary code exploit has been patched.

Conclusion
We are working to bring a new exploit and make it easier that the last one. Ralekdev will be analyzing and working on a new exploit. I will work on deployment techniques. For now if youre having problems, flash back to stock and root your device.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

larry_thagr81

Dec 30, 2012
No all you need is the root66 stock ROM file and ODIN to flash that file and you will have root.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

You need the stock PIT and updated bootloader baseline files.

erica_c40

Nov 22, 2010
loaded root66 in ODIN and now rooted. Froze SDM....anything else? Also, I want to load a reliable, non-issue, close to stock ROM any suggestions?

No all you need is the root66 stock ROM file and ODIN to flash that file and you will have root.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

You need the stock PIT and updated bootloader baseline files.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
loaded root66 in ODIN and now rooted. Froze SDM....anything else? Also, I want to load a reliable, non-issue, close to stock ROM any suggestions?

Unless I missed you already doing this, you need to unlock your boot loader still. Root 66 just gives you root. To your question about the ROM clean lite is probably what you want.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: New Jailbreak here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

Ci0gY.png

Here's the bottom line up-front
    Samsung has inserted code to blacklist our baseline and mitigate our exploits in the bootloader patch they began pushing out last night. You will need to flash the updated bootloader baseline and stock pit in order to restore your device to operational status. The How-To Unlock your Bootloader thread is invalid at this time.

Going Forward
    I need your help with CASUAL. In order to mitigate this problem, I began working on a CASUAL update system on January 13. If you feel inconvienced now, contribute to the Casual Update System beta by testing it. Currently, CASUAL is dumb. If there is a problem you won't know until after you flash. The idea behind the Update System is to either update the CASUAL to work again, or kill-switch it and automatically bring you to a thread like this one. Obviously it's infinitely more helpful than a simple failure and I need testing on Windows, Linux, Mac and firewalls.

The CASUAL Unlock method will be updated when we figure it out and it will be possible to auto-update or do a helpful kill-switch in the next version.

Addressing Security Patches:
    Recognized Developer Ralekdev has began work on a new exploit. It's not going to be as simple as it was before.

Bootloader Blacklisting
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/zzfhwlrgeeuzweiccjdpvg#22
    Previously, Odin Mode would accept any SBOOT with the proper signature. Samsung has implemented a blacklist which causes properly signed flashes to fail if they are contained in the blacklist.
    Code:
          bytes_to_hexstr(BL1_blacklist_str, base_addr + 0x1BF0, 16);
          if ( !strcmp(BL1_blacklist_str, BL1_blacklists[i]) )
          {
            sub_43E03A00("BL1 of the blacklist - %s\n", BL1_blacklists[i]);
            return -1;
          }
    The old bootloader contained random ARM hex data "CD D2 04 85 63 83 52 7C C9 8A 97 1A CD 30 78 FB".. The new one contains an identifier "EXYNOS_4412 1220". The new bootloader is also programmed to not be able to flash itself.

Non-Header Code Execution
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/ryxaraypnnhbmtt6nswvq
    Previously, if the ANDROID header was missing from the kernel, SBOOT would execute the partition as raw ARM code. This allowed Ralekdev's exploit to jump into the SBOOT.bin and execute download mode without security checks. However the code has been replaced..
    Code:
      if ( !memcmp(v5, "ANDROID!", 8) )
      {
        *** DO NORMAL SECURE BOOT ****
      }
      else
      {
        dprintf("Could not do normal boot. (invalid magic)\n");// this is where we exploited it last time to load my code
        s5p_start_download_mode(v9);
      }
      return 0;
    }
    So obviously, this execution of arbitrary code exploit has been patched.

Conclusion
    We are working to bring a new exploit and make it easier that the last one. Ralekdev will be analyzing and working on a new exploit. I will work on deployment techniques. For now if youre having problems, flash back to stock and root your device.
    You answered your own question.

That was funny!

Here is the part about the OTA that is being left out.

If you look at the OTA it wont execute the updater portion of bootloader until the end.

The first thing the OTA does is examine the partitions, files, etc to see if they have been altered... If the checks fail the OTA just quits with error 7 (or 8 I forget). When it quits nothing flashes. This will occur on pretty much any custom ROM unless you edit the OTA to bypass the checks (see next line)...

I'm not saying be stupid and TRY to flash the OTA on a custom ROM but I built an L4 base last night with the OTA so you really dont need to anyways. To do this I had to remove those checks I just mentioned.

This thread should be sticked in two forums, this and general, because people thinking about rooting and on the edge need to do so now before the stock ROM forces the OTA!

But as far as a custom ROM accepting and succesfully flashing the OTA? Pretty much zero to none. Trust me on this ;c)

-Scott
    SOB.... I took it today hoping it was 4.2 and it ended up being:

Android Version 4.1.2
    Build number jzo54k.i605vramc3
    Harware version i605.06

I'm gonna wait till Beans release a 4.2 rom and then root and flash.

Ya but by taking that ota u probably just lost the ability to unlock.. Will do a build of new ota when I get home from work about 45 mins

Just a heads up for everyone - after many attempts, I was finally able to boot my phone. I had to take the .pit file from Adam's post, and then download this stock image - http://androidjinn.com/root-verizon-galaxy-note-2-i605.html/2 & follow the directions. It was the ONLY stock rom that successfully restored me in ODIN. Everything else prior, such as imnuts stock rom, would result in a FAIL after attempting to load the sbin.boot files.

Hope this may be of help to anyone, because I know I sure struggled! Through struggle comes growth - HUZZAH!
    I warned people not to flash it. I warned, and it was brushed aside because someone thought you could re-unlock (without 100% confirmation).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106158

Thanks for more information on the issue.