[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

Search This thread

NHS2008

Jul 24, 2010
Mumbai
Hey guys I have the OnePlus 2. 10bit 720p x265 videos are not playing properly. I'm facing quite a bit of lag. What should I do?

Oneplus 2 has Snapdragon 810 which doesn't natively support x265 10 Bit. So it'll be software accelerated and hence the higher the bit rate & resolution the more it'll struggle with the file. You can't really do anything about it. Best bet is to get a device with Snapdragon 820 and above which have hardware acceleration for x265 10 bit.

G

GuestD0241

Oneplus 2 has Snapdragon 810 which doesn't natively support x265 10 Bit. So it'll be software accelerated and hence the higher the bit rate & resolution the more it'll struggle with the file. You can't really do anything about it. Best bet is to get a device with Snapdragon 820 and above which have hardware acceleration for x265 10 bit.

the cheapest device with snap 820 is Leeco Le Pro Elite x722

benjaneson

Feb 2, 2018
I'm using an Exynos Samsung Galaxy Note8, and when I try to play 2160p.x265.10bit.HDR.TrueHD 7.1 videos (using HW+ and the XDA version of the custom Neon decoder - the official custom decoder doesn't support TrueHD audio), it plays fine for the first 3-4 minutes, and then freezes and plays the same few seconds over and over, and doesn't let me move to anywhere in the video without force closing the app - any ideas how to fix that?

geminihc

Jun 5, 2008
is it normal that HW+ does NOT work with Snapdragon 835 (i use an essential) ?

it falls back to HW, however my 60fps 4k hevc video only plays sound with black screen.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
is it normal that HW+ does NOT work with Snapdragon 835 (i use an essential) ?

it falls back to HW, however my 60fps 4k hevc video only plays sound with black screen.

Are you playing a 10-bit video?

HW decoder basically uses the media player API provided by the android. It looks like your device doesn't support decoding of the 10bit videos or the encoding profile. Due to the poor implementation of media player, on such conditions, it may still report that it's playing. So, MX Player will keep on playing on HW decoder. In HW+ decoder, MX Player will have full controls over decoder. So, When the system decoders fail, it will switch to other decoders.

alidl

Jul 14, 2014
8 inch tablet with hi10p decoding and hvec 10bit

Hello
I saw in some posts here that asus zenpad 3 10 inch (with mediatek chip) can play 10bit videoes (at least 10bit x265)(may be not 10bit x264)

I have two choise of rather high-end tablets:
(is there any other good rather high-end light weight 8 inch tablets?)

1. zenpad 3 8.0 and zen pad 3 10.0 with snapdragon hexa core 650 chip (not mediatek)

2. huawei mediapad m3 8.4 with kirin 950

I want to ask several questions about these, i appreciate any answer for how many of them you liked to answer :)

1. is also zenpad 3 8.0 or 10.0 with snapdragon chip can play 10bit 1080 videos? (x265 10bit 1080p and/or x264 10bit 1080p)

(I prefer 8 inch version but please let me now if you tried any of them and was successful or not or you know/think anything about devices or their chips)

(I prefer hw or hw+ decoder without artifacts and without bad colors but also please say if it at least can play them without lag in fast scenes with sw decoder or can't )

may be need to add that I usually use normal/low bitrate videos.
whole size of videoes that i play usually are about 200-300 MB for a 22-25 min episode (maximum size I liked to play was a video in x265 10bit 1080p with about 500 MB size)

2. how about above question for huawei mediapad m3 with kirin 950?

(I think it shoud play both x264 10bit 1080p and x265 10bit 1080p at least with sw decoder without issue but let me now if you know anything)

I also have another question.

mediapad m3 is about 100$ more expensive than asus zenpad 3 8.0 in my country. (both have 4GB Ram)(asus has android 7 but huawei has android 6)

so I would like what you think is good for buying?

is mediapad m3 in overall worth of spending 80-100 $ more? (specially when its original global price is this much lower? and it have android 6 without update (and also without multi windows(?) ) )

(I didn't mind spending this much for m5 because at least it is far newer than m3 in software and also hardware but it doesn't have 3.5 mm jack and I don't want pay also for a wireless headphones specifically because I use headphones very long hours)

Thanks you very much

Last edited:

mfrey0118

Feb 16, 2009
I just got my Galaxy S7 and it is unable to play HVEC encoded videos. I tried the settings recommended for MX player and still nothing. Advice?

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
I just got my Galaxy S7 and it is unable to play HVEC encoded videos. I tried the settings recommended for MX player and still nothing. Advice?

Probably they might have removed 10bit support. Other HEVC files might be working well. Can you collect the bug report from MX Player help menu & share here?

dhruvdave

Jun 8, 2014
At one point Samsung removed codec support for h265 videos as reported in this topic 2 years ago. I don't know if there is any proper explanation for this, you're somewhat better off asking in the S7 forums for it.

My A7 2017 is able to play 1080p hevc 10bit files but with little bit stuttering

abdelhachim

Mar 13, 2018
Casablanca
Hello,
I have an android TV Box based on the Rockchip RK3399 (Qintex Q39)...
10bit HEVC videos are well played with KODI Video Player, but MX Player does not allow HW+ decoding (HW throws an error and SW is very laggy)...
May be this SOC should be added to white list for 10bit HEVC Hardware decoding.
Thanks In Advance.
Abdel.

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Hello,
I have an android TV Box based on the Rockchip RK3399 (Qintex Q39)...
10bit HEVC videos are well played with KODI Video Player, but MX Player does not allow HW+ decoding (HW throws an error and SW is very laggy)...
May be this SOC should be added to white list for 10bit HEVC Hardware decoding.
Thanks In Advance.
Abdel.

Open MX Player settings > decoder > HW+ video codecs & check whether HEVC 10bit is listed or not?

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
Hello Samsung S7 edge 8890 ver can't use HW+ to play hevc 10bit video_Only can use S/W to play hevc 10bit video but it is so lag

But try to use Samsung built in video player it work good.(But it can't support AC3 audio)

Try to Google search this problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/7iwm6t/10bit_hevc_wont_hardware_decode/

Is it a bug can't use mxplayer HW+ in S7 edge 8890 ver to play hevc 10bit video?

Can fix it?

Thank you.

Many Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability. Can you check whether you have HEVC 10bit is listed on Settings > Decoder > HW+ Video Codecs?

suifong

Feb 6, 2013
Many Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability. Can you check whether you have HEVC 10bit is listed on Settings > Decoder > HW+ Video Codecs?

vFjsilP.jpg

It only have H.265 : (

I just confuse why Samsung built in video player can work good but MX Player can't use HW or HW+ to play H.265 10BIT video.
https://youtu.be/CdMC51Hato4

It is because Samsung devices do not expose the HEVC 10bit decoding capability right?
Thank you for your reply : )

Update:
I try many video player apps from play store.
Most video player can't work good.(hevc 10bit)
Amazingly some video player can work good.
I don't know why.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion
    Back on our old Google Groups forum, we had a long thread of users sharing and discussing their experiences with 10-bit video playback, HEVC playback, device capabilities, and other interesting related topics.

This thread will be a continuation of that discussion. The original thread can be found here:
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mx-videoplayer/CVvvmsXpdz8/discussion

If you have anything you want to share relating to 10-bit playback, hardware support, and MX Player, please join the discussion!

How can I check what hardware codecs are enabled on my phone's GPU?
    You can use an App such as Hardware Info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.hardwareinfo

My device is playing Hi10p really poorly, even though it's a very new/powerful phone! What can I do?
    CDB-Man said:
    1) h.264 AVC Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for h.264 AVC Hi10p.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) Settings -> Decoder -> Use speedup tricks

LIST OF DEMANDING Hi10p FILES THAT YOU CAN USE TO TEST YOUR DEVICE (mainly anime as that's what most commonly uses Hi10p)
    1. http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=489663&showfiles=1 This file is fairly demanding at 22.3Mbps bitrate.
    2. Anything from http://coalgirls.wakku.to/ that's 1080p and released in 2013 or later would be 10bit, and would make for a good test. All their files are relatively high bitrate, so it will be a good indicator of the CPU's capabilities with S/W.
    3. If you are willing to waste bandwidth with an even harder test, you could try this: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552753 12GB and 10835 kbit/s bitrate.
    4. Unique encoding settings: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=557914&showfiles=1 movies 1 or 2. This is also 10bit (720p), but with 4:4:4 subsampling (on movies 1 and 2) as opposed to standard 4:2:0 subsampling.
    5. Very, VERY demanding: HEVC 4K 10bit video @ 51.6 Mb/s: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=96
    6. Various reference files from libde (including Big Buck Bunny): http://www.libde265.org/downloads-videos/

CDB-Man

Now, a very useful summary by @Dante of the Inferno of the current required specs to successfully play 10-bit files on Android!
    Last updated: 2015-08-24
    Hi10p Minimum Hardware Requirements:

x86 Architecture:
    720p:
    • 2.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU with integrated graphics (2006 or later)
    • 2.2+ GHz Single Core CPU (up to 30 fps and low bit rate)
    1080p:

• Intel Atom Z3770 (Bay Trail) with integrated graphics (2014 or later)

ARM Architecture:
    720p:
    • Snapdragon 600 SoC (2013 or later) - based on quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 CPU and Adreno 320 GPU
    1080p:
    • Exynos 7 Octa 7420 (2015 or later) - based on ARM v8
    • Amlogic S812 - based on ARM A9 with octo-core Mali 450 GPU
    • Nvidia Tegra K1
    • Snapdragon 810 (generally should work, but probably only for lower bitrate files)
    First of all thanks for the great player which is so far the best long running player on Android and yet no other player comes as close as this in regards to compatibility, reliability and functionality. I think it has been more than 2 years using MX Player on X10 Mini Pro, HTC One X, S4 i9505 and now Note 3 N9005

I would like to know about this HW+ incompatibilty issues on Snapdragon hardware. I had been using MX Player on HTC One X (that has Tegra 3 hardware) for a year and it mostly used to decode all my matroska video files on HW+ it used to play all 720p Hi10p files smooth. But since my switch to S4 i9505 I feel like I have downgraded on hardware lol it just don't play any file on HW+ (well all the mkv files I tried so far), it only plays on SW and well... it is not as smooth. And now I'm on Note 3 N9005 and the issue is same. One of my friend told me that the Snapdragon hardware doesn't support HW+... is that true?

Also, just to let you know that although surely MX Player is the only player on android that can render most SSA/ASS perfectly, it seems at some places to be lagging behind and I noticed that the subtitles and signs tend to "fade out" although originally they aren't programmed to be...

EDIT: I can confirm that Hi10p 720p matroska video file (with embedded subtitles) on my Note3 N9005 is not playing smooth (and only plays in S/W mode) when I played the same file on pc for comparison, it seems to be dropping/skipping frames to keep in sync... I miss my HTC One X now...

Other than that I have no complaints at all... MX Player is the best!
    1) Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for Hi10p.
    EDIT: I'd like to note that HW+ Tegra support is a "hack" of sorts, so it probably won't be perfect. SW will likely give you a better picture, but HW+ Tegra will use less power while failing to render properly sometimes.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) When playing video: Menu -> Play -> Use speedup tricks

The Note 3 has more than enough power to play 720p Hi10p. I've tested on all the recent high-end devices, and definitely no problems.
    I am having a very similar issue on my Nexus 9 running CyanogenMod ZNH5YAO0J1 and MX Player 1.8.9:
    - the file is a 10 bit 1080p HEVC, 1:40:58 long and 2 GB large which puts it at around 2850 kbit/s if my math is right.
    - HW and HW+ both say unsupported
    - alternative HW+ opens the video but only shows black screen. Audio plays normally
    - SW is borderline watchable with speedup and 4 cores but gets laggy in some scenes.
    Can such video work on Nexus 9 with sufficient speed at all? Or is the device just too underpowered?

Wysłane z mojego XT1580 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    I don't think our Nexus 9 has support for x265 10bit / just x265 yes
    x264 10bit yes!
    x265 10bit no!
    x265 maybe I think it worked for me once on CM.

PS. The Nexus 9 only has 2 cores :good:
    x265 is laggy on almost every device that uses SW
    Just wanted to add to the pool of knowledge here.

10bit 720p seems to be working perfectly so far on my Note 3. I only tested a couple of videos, but I have yet to see any lag, even during panning scenes. The videos tested were: Jojo Stardust Crusaders (some episodes, by Horriblesubs), Soul Eater Not (some episodes, also by Horriblesubs) and Nisekoi (one episode, by FFF). It is not overclocked, and I am running the X-Note rom. I disable multitasking and kill all processes just to be safe before playback (unsure if this is even needed). It is playing in H/W+.

I tried some 1080p 10bit videos and it was awful. I have no idea how the guy with the S5 managed to watch it. The Note 3 has the same hardware, so maybe the videos he tried were of a lower bitrate...? I don't know.
    For those with HTC M8, if you enable developer options and check high performance mode then you can playback Hi10p 1080p videos smoothly in SW mode in MX player. Just don't forget to turn it off afterwards as it sucks the battery life right out of the phone!

The S801 is powerful enough to play Hi10p 1080p in SW mode. I'm using an Asian model of the HTC M8 that clocks the S801 at 2.5GHz, European ans US models of the HTC M8 run the S801 at 2.3GHz but it should still be fast enough for Hi10p 1080p.