[GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
[GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread (Discontinued)

#teamwin is proud to announce the Fre3vo tool for the HTC EVO 3D and Sensation!

What is Fre3vo: Fre3vo is a temp-root acquiring tool, allowing users access to a root shell on their HTC EVO 3D and Sensation devices.

What is Fre3dom: Fre3dom was the name of the tool being developed to enable S-OFF on the EVO 3D and Sensation. This has been abandon since AlphaRevX has announced on twitter that they've had the devices open for weeks now.

Fre3vo can be downloaded here: http://tinyw.in/1lJ

Prereqs:
1. You must be able to push files via adb to your device.
2. You must know what a shell is.

Instructions:
1. Download the fre3vo zip
2. Unzip the fre3vo binary
3. Push the binary via 'adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp'
4. Change the permissions via 'adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'
5. Run the binary via 'adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'

If all goes well, you'll be kicked back to your computer's command prompt. (Some may get more messages, but it seems the Sensation buffers the stderr more than the EVO 3D)

run 'adb shell' and you should have a '#' prompt instead of '%'.

This is temporary root. A reboot will clobber it. There are many threads with scripts for doing what the community has dubbed "perma-temp root", which lets you run all your root-based apps.

Last edited:

steal25

Inactive Recognized Developer
adb?

just curious- does the posted instructions/script have anything to do with the install process? And if so how do we get adb to work? I've had no luck so far running adb on the 3D.
Maybe getting adb to work on a non-rooted phone can be explained so we can prepare for this when it drops. Thanks in advanced for any help.

http://pastebin.com/wiQc8Mid

Last edited:

erikivy

May 7, 2010
Central VA
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
just curious- does the posted instructions/script have anything to do with the install process? And if so how do we get adb to work? I've had no luck so far running adb on the 3D.
Maybe getting adb to work on a non-rooted phone can be explained so we can prepare for this when it drops. Thanks in advanced for any help.

Here's a good thread regarding ADB. Sorry if you already know all that. I've gotten it to work, but every command results in the "adb server is out of date. killing......" message. In the end, the command goes through, but it has to restart the sever every single time.

FWIW, I didn't take any updates.

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Thread has been re-opened, sorry for the delay I am out of town :)

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Rooting information added to the first thread. Please keep this thread on topic and without trolling, flaming. Any flaming or trolling may warrant a ban as we do not tolerate such things here at XDA.

Reactions: oreoOozZz

v1adg

Jan 12, 2011
installed it successfully but for some reason when i run su in terminal it does not give me root, and none of my root apps do not work am i doing something wrong or am i not understanding something?

DWhite456

Feb 16, 2009
Will we learn how the exploit was achieved, possibly post-perm-root?

I imagine yes. You wont fight much info here in this forum (not sure why there isnt a whole lot of info here but there is other places). Team Win did say they will eventually tell HTC about the exploit. I am sure once they do that it will not be an issue to tell anyone else.

chino331

Jul 26, 2007
Columbia
www.facebook.com
I imagine yes. You wont fight much info here in this forum (not sure why there isnt a whole lot of info here but there is other places). Team Win did say they will eventually tell HTC about the exploit. I am sure once they do that it will not be an issue to tell anyone else.

#teamwin only tells HTC about intentional exploits. non intentional they dont:

20:28 <@joshua_> agrabren, By the way, traditionally, unrevoked's policy is to report to vendors holes that appear to be 'intentional' (see skyagent), but to package and protect vulnerabilities like that the best we can.
20:29 <@agrabren> This was a non-intentional hole.
20:29 <@joshua_> Yeah. Traditionally, unrevoked just packs and protects that sort of thing until someone finally reverses them.
20:30 <@joshua_> We'd love to be able to do the responsible disclosure thing, but this is an arms race...
20:30 <@zule> htc created the arms race, we just fight fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Fre3vo / Fre3dom Official Thread (Discontinued)

#teamwin is proud to announce the Fre3vo tool for the HTC EVO 3D and Sensation!

What is Fre3vo: Fre3vo is a temp-root acquiring tool, allowing users access to a root shell on their HTC EVO 3D and Sensation devices.

What is Fre3dom: Fre3dom was the name of the tool being developed to enable S-OFF on the EVO 3D and Sensation. This has been abandon since AlphaRevX has announced on twitter that they've had the devices open for weeks now.

Fre3vo can be downloaded here: http://tinyw.in/1lJ

Prereqs:
    1. You must be able to push files via adb to your device.
    2. You must know what a shell is.

Instructions:
    1. Download the fre3vo zip
    2. Unzip the fre3vo binary
    3. Push the binary via 'adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp'
    4. Change the permissions via 'adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'
    5. Run the binary via 'adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo'

If all goes well, you'll be kicked back to your computer's command prompt. (Some may get more messages, but it seems the Sensation buffers the stderr more than the EVO 3D)

run 'adb shell' and you should have a '#' prompt instead of '%'.

This is temporary root. A reboot will clobber it. There are many threads with scripts for doing what the community has dubbed "perma-temp root", which lets you run all your root-based apps.
    [Reserved for future details]
    [More reserved for future use]
    This thread is closed. When this rom is ready to go, then it can be re-opened, until then I don't see any actual development ongoing in here.

agrabren - PM me when your ready to post the rom.
    To clarify: Fre3dom is on track. Fre3vo^2 is also on track. Just saying that we're telling HTC about the bug that gives us temp-root.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk