Android on Webos (chroid) 0.1 Alpha is out for tasting. (update 10/16, no IPK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

cellneuron

Nov 6, 2006
Update (10/16):
The next release will be vastly improved. 0.1 alpha is just a card concept and may not be usable. This release will be usable and fix most unpleasant display issues. We will move to beta soon.

Please be advised, Alpha release is full of bugs and is advised NOT to be installed. It is up to you to take the risk and taste the concept.

Stay tuned, and IPK will be ready within 7 days.

Update (10/8):

The IPK is ready. You can check a screenshot here:
http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/6fa7488egw1dlvzcs7wxkj.jpg

Not be able to fix sound issue in this release. May still experience some screen flicking. Airplane icon is not removable, please just ignore it (some program may still report network issue).

There are still lots of work to do.

Downloading: http://www.wupload.com/file/344498750

Update (10/06):

The last release is skipped since more candies are coming.

1. Fake SD card is mounted now. Programs need SD access can be run.
2. Wifi issue is solved. No network issues.

The author is working on sound issue and will wrap around in the next two days and release the next very alpha very soon.

Update (10/05):

I am not the author (Chomper_T) of this project. All information is copied from his blog.

The IPK is running in a card today (no need to implement hardware switches such as wifi, bluetooth or power), and you can manipulate this card like any other WebOS apps. Whether implementing one single card or multiple sub-cards like built-in browser is open to discussion. Will release the update soon.

The next update will be openGL, which will improve multimedia performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still in Alpha. (10/04)

Discussion:
http://www.treo8.com/bbs/thread-264215-1-1.html

Download:
http://115.com/file/aq7ufs34#chomper.app.android_0.0.1_all.ipk
The IPK file is about 81MB, and need more than 5 mins to be installed via preware only. Just be patient and will do no harm to your Webos.

Authors blog: (You need a weibo account to access.)
http://weibo.com/chomper

Limits:

0. Initial language is Chinese only. You can switch language in settings (may need some tries and guess :) ).

1. Wifi switch is not working. Using webos Wifi switch. The network will always show airplane mode, but you can use the browser now.

2. Single touch so far.

3. Keys: Home: home, Power: power, Volume upper: back, volume down: menu

4. The whole IPK runs as OS so far, and will run in a card in next release.

5. SD card is not mounted so far, so any program using SD card will not work.

6. Usable space has only 11MB left, therefore any big APK will not work.

7. No google market so far. Put your apks in /APKS folder when you mount your tablet as a USB drive.

8. All other things do not work so far.

In order to go back to webos, you need "press and hold" the power button for 5 secs and then select the third option.

If the touchscreen does not work, you can reboot by pressing "home + power" for 15 secs.

Don't worry, all things will be fixed quickly since there is no hardware or big driver issues here.

Last edited:

Stork66

Oct 21, 2008
everyone is supposed to be pumped! we are getting closer and closer to android on our touchpads

durps

Nov 15, 2010
For those that are too lazy, this is what I got with google translate

The first alpha release, there are problems also please forgive me; 1 d3 {# I & P * v2 v9 Z
We care about the card problem, because I want to address in a more central level, but the skill is still shallow, it takes time, so this version does not;, a! a /?% B (X! T (A-e0 e, ~
Within 2 days to give you an explanation ~ & c "F3 M% c] & K. T
so, the next step:
- I3? # R9 E * E * @, A, E8 C + e card, opengl *? (C3} 1 Q! S
- @. W9 l, T "N; V (n3 A5 Z
When installed, limited preware, the rest of the problems caused by installation tools, I have no explanation ~ ~ 2 i / I0 d! i & [$ a. L 'j9 Q
6 l A-O4 ^ 6 b9 d 'l + p
/ F) g! O & c 'A9 x4 e% W9 a / t
Problem:
7 a: v1 V & m "x z1. Occasionally the screen will flash, press the power button to turn off the screen and then turn, will ease, but also get many starts this be the future solution / M * z $ I $ X; P8 K1 j
2. No sensord drive, temporarily no time to write, this is not the point;
6 b. D + k8 I7 G $? (@ # | (N3.wifi switch is not, everyone into the android before trouble set in webos good, being there is no energy to write this;
* J + h6 V-Q! p4 I5 ^ 6 X4. Did not add sound subsystems, on the list put; 0 c # D4 m0 r & x; Y "r
5.camera not, into this process may cause the system to crash, but they will up, this is also on the list. . , Y & w + `+ f. \! M8 z * @ 2 k) _" ^, M) _
7 At present only a single touch, should be enough for the day;! Y% U?% I * \ 6 n! o
8 The so-called opengl acceleration, the core of this is the next step, I get this as soon as possible ~
% D-`([1 Y, r9. Webos clean stopped android back too much trouble, so if we have to be webos, please jerk the power button for 5 seconds; 8 E (K% |% a4 m" a "t / p-V4 X
0 overall ui looks ugly, the ability of students to think about their own way, this now includes the future it will not be of concern to me;
% P9 q (G! q /] 3 w # H "M" Y
- J4 c4 C% S! f% @ 5 \ * [operational capabilities:! T2 A! B & N # t
1 on the android not understand it, with no multimedia features of java program, ndk perfect program should be able to run; 1 n9 [0 b1 _) m + I (J (o * x4 b
Two the system although the version of google to write a good beginning is 3.1 pi; but it should be dad of the 2.3.x family pit
& V8 J & D4 S6 ~) R 'h
% @ 4 R / e2 r6?) Q, z3 \ 6 b4 yapk installation method: "p3 {. C! N-d-{
Download the desired apk, into the U disk apks directory (if not, create a new trouble), into the android can be found, vold mechanism to get around the core problem;) \ 4 f3 T2 Z! Q 'L
2 m * W3 H% B "j% B1 C
U disk directory inside the android system.img this is the whole root, do not remove the students to study, with loop ext3 mount on the system can see it all '^ 2 A2 c! ~ @ 0 S # @
l * A; _ * j. P
Instructions:
9 j% F; {% I1 B1 ~ on four key 6 z. Q +?; T + p! d
power or power
& L4 u u, V! V $ r / s (D: M & Ahome or home
5 K) p! u0 S # f '^ vol + This is the back
o.] 2 r $ A #?. ^ 0 H6 V: m (Dvol-menu6 r (U8 ~ 6 K7 @ - v + j8 h & G
The rest of your fingers;
6 x # F! t * O & A, x-~ + p "i Y * ^

"S # A.? 'B: T" F8 l $ k / X $ D! e above, because of personal ability, or energy issues, there is no good deal off, but please forgive me;
4 L / C7 B% U. P; p5 s.? Also, if experts are willing to join together to engage in a warm welcome (do not know which sites can host the G code), e-mail contact of private letters I can ~
({3 H. `5 U '^ 1 L *] to 20 days in Shenzhen, I have not a pass, went out this afternoon wandering under ~ ~ - X3 p4]" c & l $ ~ + z & C7 W9 N7 f ( b3 f
D) E # Z8 n # H7 j / n! U $ k5 e2 w

`# C8 B / n $ T 'l9 h" u-f + i is not on the renderings, anyway, a key installation, we looked at play with; 4 A # @ + N6 L w0 w / c2 G' k5 D
3 W5 d0 D; ~ 6 {3 Q
md5: 1fbb6bd2cacf2ff3ba8ac051cd366758 proposed conditional friend to test, to prevent the upload error (a "A7 E / p8 g0 @ - D3 Z2 r * g + A
Download: 6 p) k3 u; `# D0 q% w2 r 'B-t) N2 u

D {2 m) a "{/ B / s6 j 'Lhttp: / / 115.com/file/aq7ufs34 # chomper.app.android_0.0.1_all.ipk8 i" h #

Stork66

Oct 21, 2008
Lol screen will not sense touches and I can't restart it now, oops

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Stork66

Oct 21, 2008
oh ok so power cycle is to hold the power button and the menu button (I guess it's set as the home button in android) then it will reboot

Propergood

Jun 1, 2011
Kent
I struggle to understand why this would be made available or demonstrated.. it's clearly nowhere near what could be considered alpha. Nice to know it's happening, but doesn't yet require any assistance in bug finding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (10/16):
    The next release will be vastly improved. 0.1 alpha is just a card concept and may not be usable. This release will be usable and fix most unpleasant display issues. We will move to beta soon.

Please be advised, Alpha release is full of bugs and is advised NOT to be installed. It is up to you to take the risk and taste the concept.

Stay tuned, and IPK will be ready within 7 days.

Update (10/8):

The IPK is ready. You can check a screenshot here:
    http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/6fa7488egw1dlvzcs7wxkj.jpg

Not be able to fix sound issue in this release. May still experience some screen flicking. Airplane icon is not removable, please just ignore it (some program may still report network issue).

There are still lots of work to do.

Downloading: http://www.wupload.com/file/344498750

Update (10/06):

The last release is skipped since more candies are coming.

1. Fake SD card is mounted now. Programs need SD access can be run.
    2. Wifi issue is solved. No network issues.

The author is working on sound issue and will wrap around in the next two days and release the next very alpha very soon.

Update (10/05):

I am not the author (Chomper_T) of this project. All information is copied from his blog.

The IPK is running in a card today (no need to implement hardware switches such as wifi, bluetooth or power), and you can manipulate this card like any other WebOS apps. Whether implementing one single card or multiple sub-cards like built-in browser is open to discussion. Will release the update soon.

The next update will be openGL, which will improve multimedia performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still in Alpha. (10/04)

Discussion:
    http://www.treo8.com/bbs/thread-264215-1-1.html

Download:
    http://115.com/file/aq7ufs34#chomper.app.android_0.0.1_all.ipk
    The IPK file is about 81MB, and need more than 5 mins to be installed via preware only. Just be patient and will do no harm to your Webos.

Authors blog: (You need a weibo account to access.)
    http://weibo.com/chomper

Limits:

0. Initial language is Chinese only. You can switch language in settings (may need some tries and guess :) ).

1. Wifi switch is not working. Using webos Wifi switch. The network will always show airplane mode, but you can use the browser now.

2. Single touch so far.

3. Keys: Home: home, Power: power, Volume upper: back, volume down: menu

4. The whole IPK runs as OS so far, and will run in a card in next release.

5. SD card is not mounted so far, so any program using SD card will not work.

6. Usable space has only 11MB left, therefore any big APK will not work.

7. No google market so far. Put your apks in /APKS folder when you mount your tablet as a USB drive.

8. All other things do not work so far.

In order to go back to webos, you need "press and hold" the power button for 5 secs and then select the third option.

If the touchscreen does not work, you can reboot by pressing "home + power" for 15 secs.

Don't worry, all things will be fixed quickly since there is no hardware or big driver issues here.
    I echo the fact that this is an Alpha version and there is a reason why Cyanogen isn't allowing testing this early. They don't want to deal with the complaining cry babies that don't know what Alpha/Beta means....be grateful that some is trying something you are either to afraid to do or to lazy to learn yourself
    Guys, take it easy. This is an IPK file and will do NO harm to your tablet at all. If you don't like it, press and hold the icon for 3 seconds, and then delete it. No garbage or anything left.

Please keep in mind, the author just used one week to cook this thing out. As he mentioned in his blog, he will fix all things up very quickly. Making android on Webos is not difficult for a linux programmer.

We just don't understand why the palmdroid project has nothing out for so long time.
    I have uploaded a copy of this ipk file here. I'm not a fan of multi upload sites