A500 tablet won't boot, stuck on acer logo screen

Search This thread

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
Dear forum

I know you guys hate noobs, but unfortunately I am one.

My A500 is stuck on the acer logo screen, and although I have read through many a post, I'm yet to find a noob-friendly tutorial. So help!

What happened? One day my A500 was out of juice. I plugged it for charging and got impatient. Pressed the power button too soon and too hard it seems. The tablet wouldn't boot beyond android screen. Tried soft reset, then hard reset (Power, Volume plus, lock). It reached the cog working android robot with yellow triangle once, and on trying repeatedly, it is now stuck perpetually on the acer logo screen.

So.

What do I do?

Do please break it down for me.

I do have an SD card.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Dear forum

My A500 is stuck on the acer logo screen, and although I have read through many a post, I'm yet to find a noob-friendly tutorial. So help!

What happened? One day my A500 was out of juice. I plugged it for charging and got impatient. Pressed the power button too soon and too hard it seems. The tablet wouldn't boot beyond android screen. Tried soft reset, then hard reset (Power, Volume plus, lock). It reached the cog working android robot with yellow triangle once, and on trying repeatedly, it is now stuck perpetually on the acer logo screen.

So.

What do I do?

I do have an SD card.

Well, you can try this.

Go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560

Scroll down the list till you find the a500 ICS update Roms. Download a couple of them.

Then go here and get the acer update decrypter http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1869505 instructions for the tool are there.

You may not have to decrypt the Files. They may already be decrypted. You will know when you try to open them using 7zip or Winzip app.

DO Not Extract the files, just open it. Pull the update.zip to your PC desktop.
Copy the update.zip to your Ext SD card. Do not put it in a folder.

Boot your Tab holding Vol+ and PWR untill you see the package installation, then release buttons.

You may have to try 2 or 3 different update files, but one of them should work. They should be FULL Update files (300+mb)

It will install a fresh stock ICS, so if you had a unlocked bootloader, CWM recovery, and user data, say hasta la vista to them.

MD

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
Thanks @Moscow Desire

Thanks buddy! I am trying this. Downloaded an encrypted ROM earlier, and the decrypter was old, hence couldn't decrypt. Now, I have found a decrypted ICS ROM, and have gotten as far as the green robot with a rotating polyhedron on its tummy and a progress bar. Let's hope this works out fine. Been waiting for the last 40 min and the update progress bar is still at around 25%.

How long do you think this should take?

Well, you can try this.

Scroll down the list till you find the a500 ICS update Roms. Download a couple of them.

Then go here and get the acer update decrypter http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1869505 instructions for the tool are there.

You may not have to decrypt the Files. They may already be decrypted. You will know when you try to open them using 7zip or Winzip app.

Boot your Tab holding Vol+ and PWR untill you see the package installation, then release buttons.

You may have to try 2 or 3 different update files, but one of them should work. They should be FULL Update files (300+mb)

It will install a fresh stock ICS, so if you had a unlocked bootloader, CWM recovery, and user data, say hasta la vista to them.

MD

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
Still stuck

Still stuck at the same point, almost 3 hours. Whatever shall I do?

Thanks buddy! I am trying this. Downloaded an encrypted ROM earlier, and the decrypter was old, hence couldn't decrypt. Now, I have found a decrypted ICS ROM, and have gotten as far as the green robot with a rotating polyhedron on its tummy and a progress bar. Let's hope this works out fine. Been waiting for the last 40 min and the update progress bar is still at around 25%.

How long do you think this should take?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Still stuck at the same point, almost 3 hours. Whatever shall I do?

Charge your tab, then try a different one.

It seems one won't work, but the other will.

The process shouldn't take but 15 minutes max.

I've heard where some folks had to do it 2 or 3 times with the same update.zip, but I would try a different one. Eventually it will work.

MD

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
Still struggling

Finding it hard to find either
(a) a working decrypter with a working key ($12 doesn't work anymore it seems)
(b) a decrypted update.zip, not too finicky about the version as long as it works

Do provide a resource for the above if you can.

Charge your tab, then try a different one.

It seems one won't work, but the other will.

The process shouldn't take but 15 minutes max.

I've heard where some folks had to do it 2 or 3 times with the same update.zip, but I would try a different one. Eventually it will work.

MD

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Finding it hard to find either
(a) a working decrypter with a working key ($12 doesn't work anymore it seems)
(b) a decrypted update.zip, not too finicky about the version as long as it works

Do provide a resource for the above if you can.

Tell me the name of the Rom files you tried to decrypt, and the download link to them.

I'll check them out. Might already be decrypted.

Looks like it'll take awhile. After downloading, I'll pull the update.zip's and post them for you to a different server. Downloading slow......

EDIT: Decrypter tool works fine. Just decrypted 4 of the update files. You have to wait a couple minutes after hitting the START button. And there's no animation telling you what's going on, but after a couple minutes it finishes. I would also suggest closing and starting the app again after you finish with one. This clears the "Done" message.

MD

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Dowmload links for the decrypted update.zip's for the A500. For those having issues using the Decrypter tool..

Note: Remove the build numbers from the filename. They were only added to keep order. Rename to "update.zip"

41-124-01-update.zip

41-125-03-update.zip

41-203-01-update.zip

41-206-01-update.zip

Don't ask me which is better than the other. I don't know. But if you're tab's stuck at the Acer display, a working tab is better than a non-working tab ;)

MD

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
Thanks

Thanks MD!

(Sorry I was away for a few days).

Gonna try this and let you know what happens.

Thanks again, you're a sweetheart.

Dowmload links for the decrypted update.zip's for the A500. For those having issues using the Decrypter tool..

Note: Remove the build numbers from the filename. They were only added to keep order. Rename to "update.zip"

41-124-01-update.zip

41-125-03-update.zip

41-203-01-update.zip

41-206-01-update.zip

Don't ask me which is better than the other. I don't know. But if you're tab's stuck at the Acer display, a working tab is better than a non-working tab ;)

MD

Reactions: Rikki7

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
update

Tried rooting with 41-206-01-update.zip

Curiously the progress bar (with Green android robot and rotating polygon) still stuck at around the same place (25%).

Gonna try another of these files and let ya know.

Thanks MD!

(Sorry I was away for a few days).

Gonna try this and let you know what happens.

Thanks again, you're a sweetheart.

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
curiouser and curiouser

Trying 41-124-01-update.zip now.

On trying the same, it first came up with the belly up robot with triangle.

On retrying, the update progress bar again stuck at around the same point.

Well, still 2 more of these to try.

I wonder if someone else has faced a problem similar to mine.

Tried rooting with 41-206-01-update.zip

Curiously the progress bar (with Green android robot and rotating polygon) still stuck at around the same place (25%).

Gonna try another of these files and let ya know.

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
:(

Ok. Tried all four. All of them get stuck at exactly the same point during the update progress.

Now, I'm stalled.

Any ideas, anyone?

Hoping one of them will work ;)

Stuck at the Acer logo, usually represents 1 thing. Bad data in the Data partition. (corruption). Usually, runing one of the updates (some of them don't work) will set everything in order.

If not, well, not looking good.

MD

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Well, the "normal easy method" didn't work.

Ok, check this post. Guy had more or less the same issue. In the end, he started running EUU roms. EUU roms are exe files rum from the PC while connected to your tablet.

You can download them from the same sticky post in the Dev forum I believe.

It's the "flash everything" approach. Basically, he wound up back on HC 3.2, which is ok as you can normal OTA update to ICS.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31572588&postcount=6

MD

Reactions: Douvie

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
:)

Thanks, MD.

Will try this and let you know either way.

Thanks for your time. Highly appreciated.

Well, the "normal easy method" didn't work.

Ok, check this post. Guy had more or less the same issue. In the end, he started running EUU roms. EUU roms are exe files rum from the PC while connected to your tablet.

You can download them from the same sticky post in the Dev forum I believe.

It's the "flash everything" approach. Basically, he wound up back on HC 3.2, which is ok as you can normal OTA update to ICS.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31572588&postcount=6

MD

cubanorafter

Jul 22, 2011
Moscow,

I was also in the same boat, my tab was stuck at ACER screen after I rebooted one day.
I had NO custom ROM, everything was stock except I had root...

I followed your directions here and it works!!! :) :good::good::good::good:

I have followed your posts over the past year and appreciate you and everyone else here.

One question about those 4 packages you posted, everything is now stock? Stock ROM and Stock bootloader, etc...?

Just want to make sure!

Thanks again!!!

Malachi

mannubhatt

Sep 7, 2012
hey cuban

Can you guide me to the stock ROM you used to reboot your tablet?

Moscow,

I was also in the same boat, my tab was stuck at ACER screen after I rebooted one day.

I have followed your posts over the past year and appreciate you and everyone else here.

One question about those 4 packages you posted, everything is now stock? Stock ROM and Stock bootloader, etc...?

Just want to make sure!

Thanks again!!!

Malachi

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Moscow,

Just want to make sure!

Thanks again!!!

Malachi

No problem!

Yeah, you're going to be back on stock bootloader and no CWM. However, you're up and running!

MD

cubanorafter

Jul 22, 2011

41-124-01-update.zip

41-125-03-update.zip

41-203-01-update.zip

41-206-01-update.zip

MD

Mannubhat, I downloaded all four of these but the first one I tried worked.
41-124-01-update., renamed to update, put on root of sdcard, boot tab volume+ and power, and that was it.

Good luck!

Reactions: Douvie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear forum

So.

What do I do?

I do have an SD card.

Well, you can try this.

MD

41-124-01-update.zip

41-125-03-update.zip

41-203-01-update.zip

41-206-01-update.zip

MD
    I see one of my errors right off the batt. I extracted the files and renamed it from there. I also set permissions allowing the a500 read or write. So, here is further query: Should the A500 be in fastboot or the (apx?) mode. Should it be connected to the laptop at all? This is what I do understand: rename the files (without extraction) to update.zip. Already tried the other way (ha ha on me).

Should the SD card be read/write or read only. Locked or unlocked. FAT or NTFS. Connected or not to laptop. I remain extremely grateful and also scared out of my wits of bricking. I do know that it was in an update when it lost power. I do know that the update didn't finish as there is the arrow (for download) in the status bar. It is in debug mode already. Google sent me an email when I tried to log on but the internet icon has a question mark in it still (no connection). I do have ACER USB connect installed on both laptop and tablet. I did the push the paperclip thing last week before you wrote instructions (while you were out of town) so I have no idea what that did but it doesn't appear to be changed.

Whew!

To run an update.zip,
    1. put it on yr ext sd and power down yr tab.
    2. Holding the volume down button in, press power button until the power lite comes on and release it.
    3. Yr tab should vibrate ( release the vol button now)and will boot into the stock recovery mode.
    4. You should see the android robot and underneath him u should see a yellow progress bar.
    5. The process should take 10-15 mins max.
    6. If the update is successful,Your tab will reboot....
    7. If the update FAILS you will need to use the nvflash method instead.

Notes:
    The update.zip method does not require yr tab to be connected to yr pc.

It does not require yr tab to be in apx mode, download mode or bootloader mode.
    You must use vol down/Power and enter Recovery mode

It does need yr ext sd card to be formatted as fat32. You must format the card either with an Android device or SDFormatter for PC. You cannot format with windows itself.

To run nvflash and to download the necessary files and instructions, see the root guide in my sig
    rgds
    dibb

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    Already tried my man. Didn't work.

You lucky you.

I'm uploading something to the server that "might" help.

Will PM you after it uploads. EDIT: Never mind, you have a 500.

Have you tried running one of the EUU's? Not sure if you have to have a UID number or not.

Also, there is TimmyDeans method. But I think it needs a UID number also.

MD
    [/COLOR]

Hi Karthi,
    did you overcome this issue? I am stuck at the exact same place.

Using the blackthundr apx tool.
    My a500 is detected by win7 as an apx device. But adb does not. Even the apx tool does not. But I went ahead and told it to flash. That puts the device in apx mode....green Acer logo and text on upper right corner. But nothing after that. I am suspecting hardware :(

I got my uid using lubuntu and the apx.c code. So the device is recognized by some thing.

Running nvflash shows errors in formatting/partitioning

Device is stock with no USB debugging ...I.e USB debugging disabled

Thanks in advance.

I suggest to use blackthundr tool latest version (blackthund3r_A500_APX_Flash_Tool_v0.4.1) and start the tablet in APX mode using the manual method:

1. Start Blackthund3r tool
    2. Turn off your A500
    3. Connect USB
    4. with a paperclip press reset button and power button, keep reset button pressed for 3 seconds then release
    5. Blackthundr tool will detect that tablet started in APX mode

I used A500_Thor_Recovery_1.7.3.a500apx this will setup the bootloader and then you will be able to install the rom I used Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1-FULL-ROOT and it is working excellent.

Hopefully this comments help you to solve your issue.