[APP][4.0+] Root Transmission - Root other devices using your phone!

Search This thread

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Root Transmission

greentranparentwm1.png

Root Transmission: the ONLY app that allows you to root other phones straight from your own device!

Inspired by Kos's p2p-adb hacking toolkit (http://hak5.org/episodes/hak5-1205), this app is a pleasant, easy way to root other phones while away from your computer! Just two buttons, Root and Unroot! Connect the cable and root away! It couldn't be simpler!

Even has its own terminal window so you can see exactly what's going on while your phone does its thing!

You will need a ROOTED device capable of USB hosting (USB On The Go), a USB OTG cable and one-click root scripts for the devices you wish to root.

Scripts and their associated files should be placed in /sdcard/RootTransmission/*devicename*/*version*/, otherwise it will not be available for use. *devicename* and *version* can be whatever you want.

Note that this is an UNSTABLE version, and you use this app at your own risk. Occasional force closes are to be expected (though they will most likely not break the phone you are trying to root). Incorrectly written scripts can permanently damage or brick both devices involved, so only use trusted 3rd party root scripts and at your own risk.

Screenshots
20121125173606.png
20121125173624.png

Changelog
1.01unstable
  • fixed bug that sometimes caused crashing when user closed app
  • fixed bug that caused app to crash if scripts directory did not exist
  • Much smaller size (166k)
  • made it for Android 4.0 and up (accidentally had it for 3.1 and up in Play Store, will re-add Honeycomb support if I find that it works reliably with it)
1.0unstable
  • initial public release

Planned features
  • Downloading scripts within the app
  • Nicer GUI
  • In-app help text
  • ??? Suggest some!

(Removed from Play Store because Google said it was "dangerous")
Please do not mirror this apk, it is to be downloaded exclusively from XDA-Developers. Failure to comply will result in the removal of this app from XDA.

I've attached a zip with the files needed to root a Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535), extract it to /sdcard/RootTransmission/ to use.
Note that since I only have one USB host-capable device (my own S3), no warranty is provided over the functionality of this zip since I am unable to fully test it. (It is a repackaged version of the DebugFS one-click root found at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1883984 and thus will only work if the device to be rooted is running ICS, which shouldn't be a problem as of yet.)

Again, this is an unstable test version. It should mostly work, but no guarantees on its functionality.​

Attachments

• SCH-I535.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 13,234
Last edited:

chev

Jul 29, 2006
what device is supported? what device supported that can be rooted?

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

In order to run the app, your device (the device that is already rooted) must support USB hosting/USB OTG. Most newer devices have this.
This app uses adb and scripts (which you must provide) to root devices. If there is a root method for the device that uses adb, then it will work.

In the case of the Verizon Galaxy S3 (my primary device), the root method for a stock ROM is to use adb to push an exploit that will allow us to install Superuser and the su binary. I believe the Asus Transformer Prime uses a similar method.

If the only root method available involves using a program such as Odin/Heimdall or a manufacturer's phone flashing utility, or a zip must be flashed in recovery in order to gain root, it will definitely not work. In the case of the HTC Sensation, you must flash a recovery and boot into it, then flash a zip containing the su binary as well as a controller app such as Superuser in order to gain root. So the HTC Sensation could NOT be rooted with this.

In the future I plan on building a compatibility chart within the app to determine which phones can run this app and which phones can be rooted with it, as well as downloads for the rooting process. In the meantime, if there is a phone you are looking to root with this, let me know and if possible, I'll craft a zip to use with this.

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Updated Root Transmission to 1.01unstable.
Following changes were made:
-bugfix: app occasionally FC'd when closing app
-bugfix: app crashed if scripts directory did not exist
-smaller size (166k, old version was 1.62mb)
-made it available only for 4.0 and up (had it set to 3.1 and up by accident)

Available in first post or in the Play Store.

Keep sending in those bug reports, it really helps!
Also, if you have any new features you want to suggest, let me know.
I'm considering the following so far:
-Downloading scripts in-app
-Nicer GUI
-Help text

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I believe that in order for the app to work properly, adb must be running as root, so no. It's not possible to use this with a non rooted phone.

HTC One X should be able to be rooted (as well as other devices relying on fastboot), but I haven't added support for it yet. A fastboot binary for ARM is available, so I'll package that into the app for next release. Stay tuned. However, I don't know about unlocked bootloaders and all that on HTC devices, so beware.

I'm also going to take a look at the Heimdall source code later so that you can perform Odin flashes over USB. This means that basically any Samsung phone should be able to be rooted, even without a one click root script.

All this stuff will take time though, and with school still going on it might take some time. But I'm definitely working on it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Draciel882

May 3, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Would it be possible to use this app to flash unsecured boot.img and then recoveries? Basically have it set up to download the recoveries and boot.img from a ftp or something? Can we basically just use the host phone as a standard ADB and Fastboot commander? Using regular commands?

teran220

Dec 5, 2012
root tranmission

i download the file, and recive the next error while unstalling:

parse error
there is a problem parsing the package

there´s any fix?

thanks in advance

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Would it be possible to use this app to flash unsecured boot.img and then recoveries? Basically have it set up to download the recoveries and boot.img from a ftp or something? Can we basically just use the host phone as a standard ADB and Fastboot commander? Using regular commands?

This is on my to-do list. I might also include a terminal emulator with access to the app's adb/fastboot binaries.

i download the file, and recive the next error while unstalling:

parse error
there is a problem parsing the package

there´s any fix?

thanks in advance

Try installing from Play Store.

Draciel882

May 3, 2010
Alberta, Canada
This is on my to-do list. I might also include a terminal emulator with access to the app's adb/fastboot binaries.
That would be awesome, let me know if you need some help testing. I've been wanting to be able to do this for awhile. It would pretty much eliminate the need for a computer when flashing roms on devices that have their bootloader already unlocked.

Publiuss

Jun 29, 2012
Wow, the idea behind your software is brillant!

I yet see a future world in which handset liberation is achieved and spread among users in dark corners of the streets! :silly: :laugh:

seaskyways

Feb 13, 2012
beirut
Hey there wchill , seems like you are an app dev rookie as I seen some stuff , well you aren't so different from me , PM me , I will help you in your project , btw I have seen a small thing , that the Settings button does nothing , to remove it remove in your mainActivity the lines that say onCreateOptionsMenu , as long as you don't need an options menu !

EDIT : No offence for calling you a rookie , I may have underestimated you , because your work is amazing , but I was talking the Java side of your knowledge , sorry if I offended you !

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey there wchill , seems like you are an app dev rookie as I seen some stuff , well you aren't so different from me , PM me , I will help you in your project , btw I have seen a small thing , that the Settings button does nothing , to remove it remove in your mainActivity the lines that say onCreateOptionsMenu , as long as you don't need an options menu !

I know that the options menu is there, but I'm planning on adding to its functionality so there's no point in removing it yet. Don't worry, I didn't forget about it ;)

Also, I only have one year of experience in Java, so my skills definitely are not the most top notch out there. I'd say not bad for being self taught though.

Anyway, in app downloads should be working by this weekend, depending on how much homework I get this week. Did a lot of it today, just need to make the frontend for it. After that I'll work on improving the GUI, because I really couldn't be bothered to spend more than 5 minutes making it what it looks like right now.

Expect an update in the next few days

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: XblackdemonX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root Transmission

greentranparentwm1.png

Root Transmission: the ONLY app that allows you to root other phones straight from your own device!

Inspired by Kos's p2p-adb hacking toolkit (http://hak5.org/episodes/hak5-1205), this app is a pleasant, easy way to root other phones while away from your computer! Just two buttons, Root and Unroot! Connect the cable and root away! It couldn't be simpler!

Even has its own terminal window so you can see exactly what's going on while your phone does its thing!

You will need a ROOTED device capable of USB hosting (USB On The Go), a USB OTG cable and one-click root scripts for the devices you wish to root.

Scripts and their associated files should be placed in /sdcard/RootTransmission/*devicename*/*version*/, otherwise it will not be available for use. *devicename* and *version* can be whatever you want.

Note that this is an UNSTABLE version, and you use this app at your own risk. Occasional force closes are to be expected (though they will most likely not break the phone you are trying to root). Incorrectly written scripts can permanently damage or brick both devices involved, so only use trusted 3rd party root scripts and at your own risk.

Screenshots
    20121125173606.png
    20121125173624.png

Changelog
    1.01unstable
    • fixed bug that sometimes caused crashing when user closed app
    • fixed bug that caused app to crash if scripts directory did not exist
    • Much smaller size (166k)
    • made it for Android 4.0 and up (accidentally had it for 3.1 and up in Play Store, will re-add Honeycomb support if I find that it works reliably with it)
    1.0unstable
    • initial public release

Planned features
    • Downloading scripts within the app
    • Nicer GUI
    • In-app help text
    • ??? Suggest some!

(Removed from Play Store because Google said it was "dangerous")
    Please do not mirror this apk, it is to be downloaded exclusively from XDA-Developers. Failure to comply will result in the removal of this app from XDA.

I've attached a zip with the files needed to root a Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535), extract it to /sdcard/RootTransmission/ to use.
    Note that since I only have one USB host-capable device (my own S3), no warranty is provided over the functionality of this zip since I am unable to fully test it. (It is a repackaged version of the DebugFS one-click root found at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1883984 and thus will only work if the device to be rooted is running ICS, which shouldn't be a problem as of yet.)

Again, this is an unstable test version. It should mostly work, but no guarantees on its functionality.​

In order to run the app, your device (the device that is already rooted) must support USB hosting/USB OTG. Most newer devices have this.
    This app uses adb and scripts (which you must provide) to root devices. If there is a root method for the device that uses adb, then it will work.

In the case of the Verizon Galaxy S3 (my primary device), the root method for a stock ROM is to use adb to push an exploit that will allow us to install Superuser and the su binary. I believe the Asus Transformer Prime uses a similar method.

If the only root method available involves using a program such as Odin/Heimdall or a manufacturer's phone flashing utility, or a zip must be flashed in recovery in order to gain root, it will definitely not work. In the case of the HTC Sensation, you must flash a recovery and boot into it, then flash a zip containing the su binary as well as a controller app such as Superuser in order to gain root. So the HTC Sensation could NOT be rooted with this.

In the future I plan on building a compatibility chart within the app to determine which phones can run this app and which phones can be rooted with it, as well as downloads for the rooting process. In the meantime, if there is a phone you are looking to root with this, let me know and if possible, I'll craft a zip to use with this.
    Reserved for future use
    Reserved for future use.
    Updated Root Transmission to 1.01unstable.
    Following changes were made:
    -bugfix: app occasionally FC'd when closing app
    -bugfix: app crashed if scripts directory did not exist
    -smaller size (166k, old version was 1.62mb)
    -made it available only for 4.0 and up (had it set to 3.1 and up by accident)

Available in first post or in the Play Store.

Keep sending in those bug reports, it really helps!
    Also, if you have any new features you want to suggest, let me know.
    I'm considering the following so far:
    -Downloading scripts in-app
    -Nicer GUI
    -Help text