4.3 to OTA 4.4 without using PC those w/s-off

Search This thread

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
For those that DON'T WANT TO USE A COMPUTER to go from VZW 4.3... Back to stock (remain s-off) to take OTA TO 4.4... and then reinstall TWRP 2.7.0.0 and remove red text read on:

This is how I went about things (i'm on Verizon 4.3 Rooted / s-off.. w/TWRP 2.7.0.0 Recovery)..

-I downloaded the VZW RUU from "Opening Post" of this forum

-Move the VZW RUU from my Internal Storage to my 32gb SD Card [class 10 Sandisk which is formatted to FAT32] and renamed to 0P3PIMG.zip as instructed in Option one in Opening Post.

-I booted into TWRP 2.7.0.0 (had installed from 4.3)

-I Wiped all but Ext SD Card (Dalvik/System/Cache/Data/Internal Storage) then run the "Format Data" wipe option on it own.

-Rebooted into "BOOTLOADER" from Reboot options in TWRP

-Pressed Power Button ONCE and let Bootloader scan and find "0P3PIMG.zip" [took a while to load; see progress bar in upper right side of screen]

-Followed on screen prompt to install 0P3PIMG.zip etc

-Once Booted into the stock 1.11.605.4 JB 4.3 I did basic setup to get to Home Screen and went into "Settings" then to "Software Update" and "Check new" to Download the OTA [2.16.605.2 KitKat] update.

-Ran Update......

-THEN went and downloaded and installed: [Root] WeakSauce APK - 1.0.1 [to gain Root to use the Recovery Tools APK to flash TWRP 2.7.0.0 Recovery] (then removed this apk later after finished the rest of steps below)

-Then installed [ROOT]Recovery Tools - Flasher from Play Store

-Then Reflashed [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.7.0.0 touch recovery using the Recovery tool apk

-Profit [now on 4.4.2 Sense 5.5 Rooted with TWRP Recovery ready for next Wave of KitKat ROMS

(Note: Delete the file on ext-SD card named " 0P3PIMG.zip")

AND BEST PART... NO PC NEEDED

Now for RED TEXT:

I'm on VZW and I just put the following file on my ext SD card's root directory

«No-Red-Text_vzw-2.16.605.2_hboot.zip»

Then changed name to 0P3PIMG.zip
Then rebooted into boot loader pressed power button once...

It found update...

And pressed volume up to select yes to flash file...

Then power to reboot.

Profit- no more red text.. and no need for a PC

Please Thank all The DEV's as you jump to their Forums to Download Files etc!

Current Device : HTC One MAX / Retired HTC Devices: DNA, Rezound, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Eris

Last edited:

Guessphx

Jan 25, 2013
Phoenix
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
For those that DON'T WANT TO USE A COMPUTER to go from VZW 4.3... Back to stock (remain s-off) to take OTA TO 4.4... and then reinstall TWRP 2.7.0.0 and remove red text read on:

This is how I went about things (i'm on Verizon 4.3 Rooted / s-off.. w/TWRP 2.7.0.0 Recovery)..

-Move the VZW RUU from my Internal Storage to my 32gb SD Card [class 10 Sandisk which is formatted to FAT32] and renamed to 0P3PIMG.zip as instructed in Option one in Opening Post.

-I Wiped all but Ext SD Card (Dalvik/System/Cache/Data/Internal Storage) then run the "Format Data" wipe option on it own.

-Pressed Power Button ONCE and let Bootloader scan and find "0P3PIMG.zip" [took a while to load; see progress bar in upper right side of screen]

-Once Booted into the stock 1.11.605.4 JB 4.3 I did basic setup to get to Home Screen and went into "Settings" then to "Software Update" and "Check new" to Download the OTA [2.16.605.2 KitKat] update.

-Ran Update......

-THEN went and downloaded and installed: [Root] WeakSauce APK - 1.0.1 [to gain Root to use the Recovery Tools APK to flash TWRP 2.7.0.0 Recovery] (then removed this apk later after finished the rest of steps below)

-Then Reflashed [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.7.0.0 touch recovery using the Recovery tool apk

-Profit [now on 4.4.2 Sense 5.5 Rooted with TWRP Recovery ready for next Wave of KitKat ROMS

Now for RED TEXT:

I'm on VZW and just put the NoRedText-t6vzw_1.11.605.4_hboot.zip file on my ext SD cards root directory

«Also works on No-Red-Text_vzw-2.16.605.2_hboot.zip»

It found update...

Then power to reboot.

Current Device : HTC One MAX / Retired HTC Devices: DNA, Rezound, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Eris
That's brilliant! I don't need to do this. But I'm sure you just helped plenty of people with this one! Great post!

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
That's brilliant! I don't need to do this. But I'm sure you just helped plenty of people with this one! Great post!

Thanks... As I've read through the various forums to get the OTA myself... I noticed a lot of folks asking for a way to go about it without needing to use a PC... Or they where having trouble using a PC to make it work.

I have always preferred the NO PC options myself. I had to use a computer to s-off with rumrunner when I first got my ONE MAX... But not a big fan of pushing things via ADB etc

In the past... On my HTC ReZound... I wasn't able to s-off... So I always had to flash the boot.img via bootloader after installing a Rom by extracting the boot.img ahead of time then adding it to a zip with other files.. renaming it like mentioned in some of the steps above.. placing zip file on ext-SD etc... All from using XDA Forums & Root Explorer.

Last edited:

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
I have a question sorry for posting here. I just got my replacement vzw one max today and as soon as I turned my device on it automatically started downloading the 4.4 firmware so in order to stop it I turned off my phone. My question is if I continue the 4.4 ota update will I be able to use the same method of rooting and unlocking as if still on 4.3?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
I have a question sorry for posting here. I just got my replacement vzw one max today and as soon as I turned my device on it automatically started downloading the 4.4 firmware so in order to stop it I turned off my phone. My question is if I continue the 4.4 ota update will I be able to use the same method of rooting and unlocking as if still on 4.3?

Check on http://rumrunner.us website

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010

Current Device : HTC One MAX / Retired HTC Devices: DNA, Rezound, Thunderbolt, Incredible,

I'm trying to figure out if I can stop the ota even though it started automatically.

I see you got your replacement phone... Damm Lawnmowers (*^o^*)
Even if the OTA downloads... You have to click yes or no to install now. So just press NO.

Then s-off like you did before... Then come back to this forum and just follow my steps in Opening Post for the rest of steps... Start in middle of steps at: "Ran Update"! And run Your OTA update...........

Last edited:
Reactions: mwebb34

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
Even if the OTA downloads... You have to click yes or no to install now. So just press NO.

Then s-off like you did before... Then come back to this forum and just follow my steps in Opening Post for the rest of steps... Start in middle of steps at: "Ran Update"! And run Your OTA update...........

It feels so good to have my MAX back! I'm in love with my phone..lol. thank you for the help I really do appreciate it!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: justjayhere

justjayhere

Oct 1, 2010
Reactions: mwebb34

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Ran Update......

Now for RED TEXT:

I'm on VZW and I just put the following file on my ext SD card's root directory

«No-Red-Text_vzw-2.16.605.2_hboot.zip»

It found update...

Then power to reboot.

Current Device : HTC One MAX / Retired HTC Devices: DNA, Rezound, Thunderbolt, Incredible,

I'm trying to figure out if I can stop the ota even though it started automatically.

It feels so good to have my MAX back! I'm in love with my phone..lol. thank you for the help I really do appreciate it!

Anytime... I gotta say... I love my phone as well.