Google KitKat dialer on S4

Search This thread

Mattx28025

Mar 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hello, I want sure where to post this since it's a general software question. I've been trying to get the KitKat dialer to work on my rooted s4. Im running the SS 4.4.2NC1 ROM. I've done everything to make it work. I've used the apk file and changed the permissions using es Explorer and tried flashing it in safestrap. Nothing has worked so far. I don't normally ask for help, but I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (Powered by Android)

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hello, I want sure where to post this since it's a general software question. I've been trying to get the KitKat dialer to work on my rooted s4. Im running the SS 4.4.2NC1 ROM. I've done everything to make it work. I've used the apk file and changed the permissions using es Explorer and tried flashing it in safestrap. Nothing has worked so far. I don't normally ask for help, but I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (Powered by Android)

Get an AOSP phone ;P
The issue might be with the fact that the stock ROM is odexed. Other than that, I'm not sure why unless it calls dependencies on other files also.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running BlackBox 3.0

MatthewPresley

Jan 5, 2013
Austin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Any update on this. Were you able to get it to work?

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

How do you like running Blackbox on your phone. It looks like closest (working) AOSP themed rom out there.

Get an AOSP phone ;P
The issue might be with the fact that the stock ROM is odexed. Other than that, I'm not sure why unless it calls dependencies on other files also.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running BlackBox 3.0

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Any update on this. Were you able to get it to work?

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

How do you like running Blackbox on your phone. It looks like closest (working) AOSP themed rom out there.

Blackbox runs really well and the features are nice, but I've ditched it for the semi-functional GPE that's in the General section here.

MatthewPresley

Jan 5, 2013
Austin
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks for the reply. Besides flashing the zip via safestrap is there anything you need to do to make it work with the ATT S4? Also do you know if you can enable soft keys on that rom?

I'm tempted to flash the GPE but feel like I should wait until chrome and paid apps work before flashing

Blackbox runs really well and the features are nice, but I've ditched it for the semi-functional GPE that's in the General section here.

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Thanks for the reply. Besides flashing the zip via safestrap is there anything you need to do to make it work with the ATT S4? Also do you know if you can enable soft keys on that rom?

I'm tempted to flash the GPE but feel like I should wait until chrome and paid apps work before flashing

I've gotten used to Firefox and I don't have paid apps, so it's not an issue for me. But you just flash it like any other ROM. Soft keys aren't a built in option AFAIK but I think Gravitybox has something for them.