How to Tether/Internet SHare with ATT Tilt 2

Search This thread

kwind0910

Jun 24, 2007
I tried to use the Internet Sharing option when connecting to a laptop - just like I did with the original ATT Tilt - but I always get Invalid APN. Does everybody get the same and is there a work-around?

rickyvee

Jun 19, 2006
Manhattan
tethering

check to see (upon running Internet Sharing)
under Network Connection
my TP2 shows 2 options
MEdia Net
and one for GPRS A&T

the only one that works for me it MEdia Net

please post if you have those options and if it worked.

emilware_v1.1

Jan 22, 2008
internet sharing

OK
Thanks for posting the issue with internet sharing
Here's the fix
Use reg edit and change these values:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNETSHARING\LASTCELLCALL CHANGE TO "MEdia Net"

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\ForceCellConnection change to "MEdia Net"

AT&T blocked option to change connection type so you have to change that in reg.
Now just softreset and enjoy.

PS
I'm using it right now :)

d0ugie

Jan 30, 2007
New York
batteryboss.org
tether tweak cab for att stock?

OK
Here's the fix

Hey I don't have my Tilt 2 yet so I can't test this but I cabbed up your changes. Maybe one of you with Tilt2 MEdia Net could test this sucker out? First make sure you are currently unable to tether and then install and soft reset to see if it fixed it. Report back!

edit: cab removed, report of no success :(

Doug

Last edited:

bhyde

Oct 8, 2007
Atlanta
Hey I don't have my Tilt 2 yet so I can't test this but I cabbed up your changes. Maybe one of you with Tilt2 MEdia Net could test this sucker out? First make sure you are currently unable to tether and then install and soft reset to see if it fixed it. Report back!

Doug

Doug, it didnt work for me...

This is the correct reg
"HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNETSHARING\LASTCELLCONNECTION CHANGE TO "MEdia Net""

I updated it manually and it doesnt stick. Its forcing me to the other APN still....

d0ugie

Jan 30, 2007
New York
batteryboss.org
Doug, it didnt work for me...

This is the correct reg
"HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNETSHARING\LASTCELLCONNECTION CHANGE TO "MEdia Net""

I updated it manually and it doesnt stick. Its forcing me to the other APN still....

Thanks for reporting back, removed the cab from my post. So yours is the correct key but it doesn't stick.... hmm. Sounds like flashing a custom rom might be the only way out unless you put a registry tweaking thing in startup.

enisoc

Oct 11, 2009
Berkeley, CA
I just tried this using AT&T Tilt 2 on the stock ROM and it worked.

I could not find any such key called "HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNETSHARING" so I ignored that part.

I changed HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\ForceCellConnection to "MEdia Net".

I reset the phone.

I tried to share through a USB connection, but it kept appearing on my computer as a hard drive despite selecting the option for Internet Sharing.

So instead I tried sharing through Bluetooth PAN. It was actually easier than it used to be on WM6.1. I selected Connect from the Internet Sharing program and it brought up a list of Bluetooth pairings. I selected my laptop (win7), which I had previously paired for ActiveSync purposes. The phone said "connecting to computer" and then "connecting to internet" and then it was done.

I accessed websites on my computer and refreshed to make sure it wasn't cached. I checked that my computer's wifi was disabled and that the phone's wifi was not on. Looks like it works.

hixmatt

Jul 9, 2008
HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConnection to "MEdia Net"
and
HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Status\Enabled to "1"

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
Question...on the stock ROM, does the built-in connection use the wap.cingular connection or the isp.cingular?

I heard it was wrong to use isp.cingular. Should we create a new profile specifically for wap.cingular?

cbo02

Jul 9, 2008
OK
Here's the fix

AT&T blocked option to change connection type so you have to change that in reg.

PS

It Works!!!

thanks

StatenIsland

Apr 17, 2008
Thank You! I am using it now.... Only After installing TotalCommander ( in the Rhodium Software sticky) to eaily do the regedits,

jh20001

Oct 21, 2007
www.animevortex.net
OK
Here's the fix

PS

This method worked for me. Thankfully I have a tetherable TP2 now ^^...only thing is the connection sucks until AT&T fixes their network. Takes forever to load a simple page....

calexan

Oct 18, 2009
Why can i not find the HKLM folder in total commander.... cause id love to be able to tether my phone....

Nakel

Jan 13, 2008
HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConnection to "MEdia Net"
and
HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Status\Enabled to "1"

That works great for me, but after soft reset "HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Status\Enabled" reverts back to Value of "0". To use Internet Sharing, I have to edit this value after every soft reset. :( Any possible fixes for this? Thanks in advance!

Stock AT&T Tilt 2

Edited To Add: It finally stuck! No idea why it took so long.

Last edited:

jh20001

Oct 21, 2007
www.animevortex.net
Why can i not find the HKLM folder in total commander.... cause id love to be able to tether my phone....

Doesn't sound like your ready to play with registry (no offense). Always know you can cripple Windows if your not careful. You have to open the "\\Plugins" folder at the top of the root dir of the phone and then select registry. Follow the given instruction from there. Again though, be careful.

calexan

Oct 18, 2009
Oh im sure im not.... I dont think ive messed with a registry since my Moto v620 years ago. My Tre0 750, just had every cab i ever needed already made.

If its not sticking though... i guess theres really know point till someone figures this thing out. I hate how AT&T blocks certain features....

jh20001

Oct 21, 2007
www.animevortex.net
Oh im sure im not.... I dont think ive messed with a registry since my Moto v620 years ago. My Tre0 750, just had every cab i ever needed already made.

If its not sticking though... i guess theres really know point till someone figures this thing out. I hate how AT&T blocks certain features....

======== (UPDATED 11-30-2009) ========

NOTE! -- THIS IS ONLY FOR AT&T CUSTOMERS

I have made a cab version of my fix so that mortscript isn't required. Simply install and restart your phone and your ready to go! (much easier instructions eh?)

That's it!

Last edited:

calexan

Oct 18, 2009
Works great on my end.... other than AT&T's terrible internet service.

I appreciate the time you took to write the scripts. Havnt figured if they stick though, but now that its easily changed back no worries.

Thanks man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Internet sharing tilt2

PLease i hope you can help me.., i try the internet sharing and i always get invalid APN. Pleaseeeee can you explain me what i have to do..., but step by step....i don't know to much about this.....and I'm not familiar with all the terms that you use..... :confused:...thanksss!!:)