[APP] NaviComputer – Offline GPS Mapping Software [UPDATE v0.96 - 2011-06-23]

Search This thread

NaviComputer

Nov 7, 2009
Remark: Please do not upload or mirror this software on any other websites or servers without my explicit permission. Thanks.

NaviComputer v0.96

NaviComputer is a GPS mapping and offroad navigation/tracking software designed for windows mobile devices.

What makes NaviComputer outstanding is the ability to view maps offline, so there is no need for internet connection or dataplan when you are on a trip.
Maps can be easily downloaded from various online map sources like OpenStreetMap either with the bundled PC software “NaviMapper” or directly with NaviComputer on the mobile device. Maps are saved as single, easy to handle and space-saving files.

Screen10.jpg

NaviComputer also allows you to track your movement, display information such as distance travelled, speed or elevation profile and save your tracks in the common gpx format. Gpx-files with tracks, routes and waypoints / POI can be imported as well, so for example you can follow imported tracks on the map.

Screen01.png
Screen05.png
Screen02.png

Screen11.png
Screen09.png

Screen04.png
Screen06.png
Screen07.png
Screen08.png
CompassView.png

With these features, NaviComputer is the perfect solution for all kinds of outdoor sports, adventurers, city sightseeing trips etc.

Features:
- Offline map navigation without internet connection/dataplan
- Easy map download from online mapsources like OpenStreetMap
- Finger friendly and fluid user interface
- Track recording with statistics like time, distance, average speed and elevation profile
- GPS Compass view
- Conform to the common gpx file format (import and export)
- Multilingual userinterface (English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch)

Device Requirements:
- Windows Mobile 6 operating system
- WVGA, VGA, QWVGA or QVGA touch display
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed
- GPS receiver (internal gps receiver recommended, but external receivers may work as well)

PC Requirements:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 OS
- .NET Framework 3.5 installed
- Internet access
- Active Sync (for installation) recommended

Installation:
Connect your device to Active Sync and run the .exe installer
This will install NaviComputer on your device and NaviMapper on your PC.
If you cannot use activesync, you will find the CAB in your program directory after running the setup.

Download
Download link as well as further information, blog and changelog can be found on the new
NaviComputer Website.

ChangeLog
Complete changelog as well as a short introduction video to version 0.90 can be viewed in the
NaviComputer Blog.

Support Development

NaviComputer is free to use for everyone. However, I have spent a lot of time and effort for development and I’m going to spend a lot of time in future for further development and improvements.

If you like this software and use it regularly, please donate to support further development and encouragement.

After donating any amount (just donate what you can afford or what you think is adequate) you will get a personal license file via email. The donation hint which comes up after regular use on startup every now and then, won’t come up again then. You will also get subscribed to NaviComputer Newsletter which will inform you about updates and new releases.

Paypal links:
Donate €
Donate $
If you can’t use Paypal, please send me an Email

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:
Reactions: linolino

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
This program looks great!

Will there be any prepackaged maps for download? For Example, Canada, New York, London, Paris, France?

tommyboy83

Oct 25, 2009
Great Tool, I like it really.

But some time the PC-Tool crash. After the next crash I will post the message.

@Maedhros
I think this is not easy, because the file for a whole country with every zoom level is a fat file (many GB great).

@NaviComputer
A great feature is a map update over the Smartphone (3G, WLAN, ...), or a auto download for missing tiles.

hobbbbit

Jul 18, 2007
Unfortunately the desktop software doesn't even want to start on Windows 7 x64:-( The process starts up, but UI never shows up:-(

P.S. Be careful with Google maps, caching their maps is against user agreement. Microsoft, however, allows it to some extend (though you have to get a Virtual Earth dev. license).

tommyboy83

Oct 25, 2009
Hi,
here idea for a new feature.
A merge feature for the PC-Tool. So it is easy to download some segments and merge to one layer. I think this is not a great problem for the sqlite-DB that you are using as single file store, or?

NaviComputer

Nov 7, 2009
Will there be any prepackaged maps for download? For Example, Canada, New York, London, Paris, France?
I have downloaded maps of several European cities such as Rome, Valencia, Hamburg, Cannes,... all about 5-10MB. I usually use zoomlevels 10-15 for cities. Anyway, downloading your own maps only takes a few minutes (if you have broadband internet connection)

But some time the PC-Tool crash. After the next crash I will post the message.
yes, please post message and how to reproduce.

crash all the time...
Could you please be more precise about that?

Unfortunately the desktop software doesn't even want to start on Windows 7 x64:-( The process starts up, but UI never shows up:-(
Can anybody confirm this? Unfortunatelly I don't have Windows 7 to test it.

P.S. Be careful with Google maps, caching their maps is against user agreement. Microsoft, however, allows it to some extend (though you have to get a Virtual Earth dev. license).
Thanks for that hint. Should I stop offering the PC Tool for download here? What else can I do to eliminate my responsibilty?

here idea for a new feature.
A merge feature for the PC-Tool. So it is easy to download some segments and merge to one layer. I think this is not a great problem for the sqlite-DB that you are using as single file store, or?
Thanks for that idea. Indeed I will put that on my todo list. The PC Tool will need some work to be done anyway (also stability issues ...)

wertykal

Nov 3, 2008
The PC Tool isn't working on x64 Windows 7 installations. As mentioned before the process starts but somehow fails to initialize the user interface.
Thanks

darfri

Nov 13, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Same as Terracrosser but according to the description and comments looks WAY BETTER and maybe even faster to download the maps. Good work

fbnet

Feb 8, 2009
issues with x64 Windows 7 installations

The PC Tool isn't working on x64 Windows 7 installations. The UI never showed up and the CPU goes 100%. Otherwise the concept looks great.

DiamondGeeza

Aug 22, 2008
I can confirm the win7 x64 problem tried running with all admin rights on and in xp and vista compatability modes. always uses 13% of my corei7 920 and about 28Meg ram.

flashpanda

Jun 10, 2009
Cheltenham
I can also confirm the problem with Windows 7 x64 - the process starts, no program UI loads, and the navimapper process loads a single core to maximum.

lohtse

Apr 1, 2009
Where ever they send Me!!
Nice looking application....

BUT..............

On my XDA orbit (QVGA wm6.1) the buttons look a little squashed... Also so few options!!!! would love to seem more, such as the ability to change coordinates to a user one or distance from Kilometers to miles and vice versa. And may be the ability to specify the gps port.

Also the pc app is a little slow and the PPC apps doesn't see the maps when downloaded and transfered to device(for me at least)

regards
Lohtse

NaviComputer

Nov 7, 2009
Ok guys, I will try to fix this Windows 7 issue. I hope I will find the problem (without actually having Win7)

On my XDA orbit (QVGA wm6.1) the buttons look a little squashed... Also so few options!!!! would love to seem more, such as the ability to change coordinates to a user one or distance from Kilometers to miles and vice versa. And may be the ability to specify the gps port.
Sorry, up to now there is no QVGA support. Maybe I'll add that in future but since I do only have VGA/WVGA devices I need more people to motivate me adding QVGA ;)
More options will definately be added. Please notice this is first release version 0.5...

A Help file will be great.
I'm going to add some FAQ here... Is there anything special which would like to be explained? I thought the PPC software is pretty much self explaining, however the map download procedure needs some more explanation. What do you think?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remark: Please do not upload or mirror this software on any other websites or servers without my explicit permission. Thanks.

NaviComputer v0.96

NaviComputer is a GPS mapping and offroad navigation/tracking software designed for windows mobile devices.

What makes NaviComputer outstanding is the ability to view maps offline, so there is no need for internet connection or dataplan when you are on a trip.
    Maps can be easily downloaded from various online map sources like OpenStreetMap either with the bundled PC software “NaviMapper” or directly with NaviComputer on the mobile device. Maps are saved as single, easy to handle and space-saving files.

Screen10.jpg

NaviComputer also allows you to track your movement, display information such as distance travelled, speed or elevation profile and save your tracks in the common gpx format. Gpx-files with tracks, routes and waypoints / POI can be imported as well, so for example you can follow imported tracks on the map.

Screen01.png
    Screen05.png
    Screen02.png

Screen11.png
    Screen09.png

Screen04.png
    Screen06.png
    Screen07.png
    Screen08.png
    CompassView.png

With these features, NaviComputer is the perfect solution for all kinds of outdoor sports, adventurers, city sightseeing trips etc.

Features:
    - Offline map navigation without internet connection/dataplan
    - Easy map download from online mapsources like OpenStreetMap
    - Finger friendly and fluid user interface
    - Track recording with statistics like time, distance, average speed and elevation profile
    - GPS Compass view
    - Conform to the common gpx file format (import and export)
    - Multilingual userinterface (English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch)

Device Requirements:
    - Windows Mobile 6 operating system
    - WVGA, VGA, QWVGA or QVGA touch display
    - .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed
    - GPS receiver (internal gps receiver recommended, but external receivers may work as well)

PC Requirements:
    - Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 OS
    - .NET Framework 3.5 installed
    - Internet access
    - Active Sync (for installation) recommended

Installation:
    Connect your device to Active Sync and run the .exe installer
    This will install NaviComputer on your device and NaviMapper on your PC.
    If you cannot use activesync, you will find the CAB in your program directory after running the setup.

Download
    Download link as well as further information, blog and changelog can be found on the new
    NaviComputer Website.

ChangeLog
    Complete changelog as well as a short introduction video to version 0.90 can be viewed in the
    NaviComputer Blog.

Support Development

NaviComputer is free to use for everyone. However, I have spent a lot of time and effort for development and I’m going to spend a lot of time in future for further development and improvements.

If you like this software and use it regularly, please donate to support further development and encouragement.

After donating any amount (just donate what you can afford or what you think is adequate) you will get a personal license file via email. The donation hint which comes up after regular use on startup every now and then, won’t come up again then. You will also get subscribed to NaviComputer Newsletter which will inform you about updates and new releases.

Paypal links:
    Donate €
    Donate $
    If you can’t use Paypal, please send me an Email

Thanks for your support!
    Ok guys, I will try to fix this Windows 7 issue. I hope I will find the problem (without actually having Win7)

If you can give me symbols for the desktop version, I can try to debug into it and see where it gets stuck. Unfortunately, without symbols, it's almost as hard to do as without Windows 7:)) I could decompile the application, but that's too much effort:)

Regarding protecting yourself against Google Maps User Agreement, sorry, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that when I was researching the subject, I saw in a few places, that Google Maps doesn't allow you to cache their maps, Microsoft does, that's why they have a lot of corporate clients using their APIs.
    And if you will stop distributing desktop version of the software, then your mobile version will become more or less useless, cause you can never get the maps into it:-(
    This post is a question
    The Navi computer program is the best I have used so far THANKS .
    However, I tried to use it with an external BT antenna, it always defaults to internal GPS antenna.
    How can I select the com port, to use Navi computer, with an external BT antenna.
    My TomTom program allows me to select the BT com port and it automatically closes internal GPS and opens bluetooth GPS.
    My HTC P3650 Touch cruise (polaris), is equiped with WM 6.1
    I have searched the net and found a reg hack in navicomputer blog/?p=14
    I think they are for other models and did not work for my HTC touch cruise P3650, Polaris.
    Is there any body who could help me.

Use GPSMOD and then set the external COM port for BT receive as priority in GPSMOD setup, you have to put value as 0 for it to have high priority, that causes your BT device to be used than internal.
    Another easy method would be to switch OFF phone function and leave bluetooth ON, that would naturally make your BT device to be chosen, but it's not recommended
    thanks a lot great app
    but can someone make a mapsource.xlm for( www geoportail fr)please
    there great hikingmaps for france

I looked at it, I didn't have any joy. Some of these Navicomputer doesn't handle, could be one.
    png2nmap-converter and nmap-modifier-tool

Hi starbright_,
    to your second wish: I don't think, that it is a good idea to use .png-tiles stored in a directory structure on the mobile, but this is a matter I leave to the programmer of NaviComputer.

But there is a small tool to convert *.png and *.jpeg from directory structure to .nmap - database format. Originally created for the use of NaviComputer together with Linux (cause NaviMapper as the .nmap-creating tool only was available for Windows), this tool is really doing what you asked for: converting tiles to nmap. Look at my post #1076 in this thread ( http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6977980&postcount=1076 ) You need a python interpreter to use it, so if you don't have it already, go here: http://docs.python.org/using/index.html and look for the chapter "Using python on ..." for your operating system.

At the moment there is no conversion back from .nmap to .png, because I had no need for that, but if you have a little knowledge on programming it is very easy to modify the python script to do that. If you have any questions, donn't hesitate to ask me (u.dahms(at)arcor.de).

In the meantime I developed another tool for manipulating .nmap-files. It has no GUI and is only terminal-oriented, but nevertheless easy to understand and perhaps can give you some more idea on how to program a tool for your own needs. Type "nmt --help" to get advice for usage. Perhaps you will find some useful functions already without modifying. For example there is an option to extract a tile from the .nmap database to .png/.jpeg file.

Regards,
    uwe347

NEW VERSION: I changed the name to 'nmm', because it is an .nmap-modifier now and very flexible. Sorry that I don't have a howto or readme yet. Call 'nmm --help' to get some advice.
    NEW VERSION: Now also supports bing map and bing satellite. Elaborated README with howto and detailed description of all options added.