How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
According to the settings, I have 10.03GB Available on Internal Storage and 14.91GB on External SD card. Also, the "Unroot" option is available in Gingerbreak.

I tried the "BusyBox Installer" app too. It installed, but then failed to install BusyBox due to no root access. Tried it again and it worked. And now Titanium Backup seems to be working too.

Maybe because i forgot to turn the rotation lock off??

skyfox99

Nov 8, 2007
I'm a Yank in Texas
whereare you guys getting busy box from? don't dwnld from market. open t-backup and clickon "problems" and install busy box from there.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

iCurmudgeon

Oct 15, 2010
No root!

Well, I guess it has to happen to someone -- tried the procedureas described, made sure rotation lock was on and micro-sd mounted, usb debugging enabled, external sources checked...

Ran Gingerbreak 1.20 ...

Ten minutes later it's still running and looks like nothing's happening.

So I did a full factory reset and tried again ... still no joy.

Help?

corn3d79

Oct 15, 2010
Great job - it was really easy...
First had problems with titanium backup (no root rights...) - other apps like ER Screenshot worked - after restarting the problem was solved.
Thanks a lot.

bsmithvc

Nov 12, 2007
Ok I followed the root instructions and now it is stuck in a bootloop??? Ideas .....

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

eled528

Apr 18, 2011
did u download straight to your tablet or on a comp and transferred it?
EDIT: my bad this was in response to icurmudgeon And I forgot to to quote

Last edited:

GadjetGirl59

Mar 11, 2011
Is there a 'root for dummies? I have the A500, and since it has HC, I thought that was all needed. Why is rooting now the way to go? I just don't understand. Can someone please explain?

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

butterflygirl

May 5, 2011
Is there a 'root for dummies? I have the A500, and since it has HC, I thought that was all needed. Why is rooting now the way to go? I just don't understand. Can someone please explain?

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

For me, root was necessary to use ntfs hard drive. Also necessary for Titanium Backup.

zdiamant

Aug 31, 2009
installed latest busybox.. seems to have worked.. used root checker and get root access congratulations, and busybox is installed correctly.
Can't do anything from my PC using adb.. can't remount, mount, push, etc... it gives me permission errors. can't run "adb root" as it gives me this error: "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"
I can see the device in adb, but can't get root access through adb. ???

seems like I can't change permissions either through terminal (even though it gives su root priveleges)

Last edited:

zdiamant

Aug 31, 2009
Update: reinstalled busybox and it seems to let me change permissions now from terminal. (I tried to update to version 1.19, and it wouldn't install however so I'm at 1.18.4) I still can't get adb to work from the pc... any ideas?
thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)