[HOW TO] Flashing ClockworkMod via ADB

Search This thread

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - The Real Matt
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
So was helping someone flash ClockworkMod via ADB in another thread, just thought if I made a topic for it, everyone can see it so if people have any issues they can always use this method instead.

Anyway, here are the instructions:

The 'flash_image' is within the attached zip file! Use the file within the zip file, NOT the zip file itself

The 'recovery.img' is your chosen recovery file, get this off ClockworkMods website or if you have a copy use that. Then when flashing the recovery image where ever it says 'recovery.img' replace that with the name of the recovery file.

Put the recovery image and the flash_image on the root of your C drive.

So,

(make sure you're in the command prompt and have changed directory to where the adb file is)

adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

It has now been flashed successfully

Hope this is of use to some people

Attachments

• flash_image.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 14,426

MrKiller2010

Feb 7, 2012
No i dont some one told me to do this cause my screen freezes when im trying to root it. Chek the How to root your blade.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using xda premium

matt4321

Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
You must be rooted for this, root using z4root or something

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk 2

Faiz Malkani

XDA Portal Team / Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
faizmalkani.com
No i dont some one told me to do this cause my screen freezes when im trying to root it. Chek the How to root your blade.

Dude i didn't know u weren't rooted yet. U don't need to use adb to root. Just Google z4root modaco and click on the first link. Install z4root and permanent root it. Don't forget to install rom manager and flash cwm from within it

Amphoras

Oct 15, 2011
amphoras.co.uk

wbaw

You must be rooted for this, root using z4root or something

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk 2

So what's the point in doing it? :confused:

Just install rom manager & use that instead.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Well when i enter next command nothing happends.

You need to install drivers for fastboot if you use Windows. Sometimes you might need to unplug the usb, then plug it back in again & try fastboot again.

It should at least give an error.

matt4321

Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
So what's the point in doing it? :confused:

Just install rom manager & use that instead.

What's the point in using fastboot to flash clockworkmod, it's just another way of doing it, some may prefer other ways (yeah via rom manager is a lot easier i know) but spread the knowledge, may be of use to some people.

wbaw

What's the point in using fastboot to flash clockworkmod, it's just another way of doing it, some may prefer other ways (yeah via rom manager is a lot easier i know) but spread the knowledge, may be of use to some people.

You don't need your phone to be rooted to use fastboot, it's a method for new stock roms that have all the common root exploits fixed.

So, what's the point in this method when using Rom Manager is much easier? If you've already rooted your phone then this has to be one of the hardest possible ways to install clockworkmod.

Last edited:

matt4321

Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
You don't need your phone to be rooted to use fastboot, it's a method for new stock roms that have all the common root exploits fixed.

So, what's the point in this method when using Rom Manager is much easier? If you've already rooted your phone then this has to be one of the hardest possible ways to install clockworkmod.

I was never able to get fastboot working for my blade, always had driver issues, yet adb was fine. So I was able to use this method to flash and try the clockworkmod recovery touch that was released for us (turned out to be useless haha) but that couldn't be done via rom manager (well yeah, but you had to pay and i'm a poor student) so that's an example of when it could be useful.

point aside this is just another way, I just want people to learn as i am here to learn too.

Redaaku

Aug 1, 2011
Long Beach
Permission Denied

I need to flash CWM recovery using this adb method since I dont have data on the phone(Videocon Zeus V7500.. a clone of Commtiva Z51).
I have all the files in the right places but when I put the first command I get the following error :

I:\>adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
failed to copy 'c:\flash_image' to '/sdcard//flash_image': Permission denied ,

What permissions do I have to grant?

eliboy

Dec 20, 2010
Sibiu
Try adb push c:/flash_image /sdcard/flash_image

Sent from my RACERII using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Redaaku

Aug 1, 2011
Long Beach
Nevermind I figured it out, the problem was that I had mounted sd card to PC and I guess that was causing the problems.
I got it to work and have flashed CWM recovery now :D
Code:
I:\>adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
751 KB/s (26172 bytes in 0.034s)

I:\>adb push c:\recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71.img /sdcard
2444 KB/s (3831808 bytes in 1.531s)

I:\>adb shell
$ su
su
# su
su
# mount -o remount, rw /system
# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
# cd /system/bin
cd /system/bin
# chmod 777 flash_image
chmod 777 flash_image
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71.img

Thanks you very much for this thread ;)

mandloihitesh

Sep 8, 2012
how to??

So was helping someone flash ClockworkMod via ADB in another thread, just thought if I made a topic for it, everyone can see it so if people have any issues they can always use this method instead.

The 'flash_image' is within the attached zip file! Use the file within the zip file, NOT the zip file itself

The 'recovery.img' is your chosen recovery file, get this off ClockworkMods website or if you have a copy use that. Then when flashing the recovery image where ever it says 'recovery.img' replace that with the name of the recovery file.

So,

(make sure you're in the command prompt and have changed directory to where the adb file is)

adb shell
su
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image

friend plss suggest me that how to use this flash_image and where should i put it
in mobile system or in pc drive c
plsss tell me clearly because when i use it in cmd it says su not found whts the mean of this plss tell me clearly one by one step
i am not able to understnd
pls pls pls help me

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

friend plss suggest me that how to use this flash_image and where should i put it
in mobile system or in pc drive c
plsss tell me clearly because when i use it in cmd it says su not found whts the mean of this plss tell me clearly one by one step
i am not able to understnd
pls pls pls help me

heyy plss i m confused in command
i dont know what commnds should i usee

plss help me
plss

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

u rooted and have superuser on your phone??

ya i rooted my phone and superuser is also installed on my phone then wht to do

????

clockworkmod is not working in recovery manager also
said unrecognized

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So,

adb shell
    su
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 777 flash_image

Thanks! Very helpful. :D