[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Search This thread

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
(OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
(IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
7. reboot the phone
8. Update google maps (very important)
9.reboot for safe measure
10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
11. boot up maps
12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.

Last edited:

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
I added your content across my S3 posts for the aGPS Patch.

Thank you for helping out. A lot of people were being real assholes without really using their mental facilities to connect the dots.

This definitely clarifies the matter and proves that I'm not their issue. GPS no work, patch no work, no blame patch...eh? That's how I see it anyway...

Gracias.

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
I added your content across my S3 posts for the aGPS Patch.

Thank you for helping out. A lot of people were being real assholes without really using their mental facilities to connect the dots.

This definitely clarifies the matter and proves that I'm not their issue. GPS no work, patch no work, no blame patch...eh? That's how I see it anyway...

Gracias.

No problemo hombre!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

11fabe

Jul 18, 2012
Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Tarantino5

Feb 11, 2009
(Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no a)

I flashed unrooted stock and did the hard reset, then found out that all my things on my internal sdcard (pictures, music, downloads,nand backups) were all gone.

Pretty misleading, especially since "no internal storage will be lost except the usual data" is stated.

Backup the things you want to keep before doing this.

Last edited:

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
I flashed unrooted stock and did the hard reset, then found out that all my things on my internal sdcard (pictures, music, downloads,nand backups) were all gone.

Pretty misleading, especially since "no internal storage will be lost except the usual data" is stated.

Backup the things you want to keep before doing this.

It doesn't.you must have gone in stock recovery and factory reset. That's how you format the internal. Don't blame me buddy.

Samsung says it won't format internal.
Me doing that code 20+ times before I found this method to work also proves that it doesn't.
Last factor that could have played out in this is you. Blame yourself.

Nucleartx

Jan 2, 2010
Temple, TX
Lost GPS from JB leaks when I flashed Bacon JB rom. Just did a factory reset from within the settings menu of current Bacon JB Rom 1.0.1 and my GPS is back. Just FYI.

Deggy

May 25, 2010
Massachusetts
Confirming that I did all steps except without doing Odin back to non root stock ROM. I was on intergalactic ROM the whole time and got GPS back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Elaldeano

Nov 18, 2012
Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)

7. reboot the phone
11. boot up maps
12. profit

1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

DUDE!!!! a thousand thank you's to you my friend. Got my Freaking GPS working thanks to this post.

For those that may have same problem here is my story:
flashed a 747 graystone AT&T and restored Titanium back up. thats when GPS started not showing up. flashed another rom and nothing. when back to stock unrooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 and nothing. Then I say this post. Went back to original stock rom, got stuck at samsung logo, went into stock recovery using hardware buttons and performed both cache and factory wipe. was able to get thru the logo but no GPS. went into dial and put the # combo provided in step #2 and voila! you really have to go into maps WITH 4G/LTE ON! in order to check whether GPS icon goes on.

now back to rooting lol

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
DUDE!!!! a thousand thank you's to you my friend. Got my Freaking GPS working thanks to this post.

For those that may have same problem here is my story:
flashed a 747 graystone AT&T and restored Titanium back up. thats when GPS started not showing up. flashed another rom and nothing. when back to stock unrooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 and nothing. Then I say this post. Went back to original stock rom, got stuck at samsung logo, went into stock recovery using hardware buttons and performed both cache and factory wipe. was able to get thru the logo but no GPS. went into dial and put the # combo provided in step #2 and voila! you really have to go into maps WITH 4G/LTE ON! in order to check whether GPS icon goes on.

now back to rooting lol

I'm just glad it worked for you guys

killah.kam

Jan 28, 2011

7. reboot the phone
11. boot up maps
12. profit

3. profit

3. profit.

I did the first 4 steps to a T, worked for me! :laugh: Had to flash the stock firmware for ICS via Odin, then did the hard reset using that phone code *2767*3855#, brought my gps back to life! I suggest EVERYONE try this before going back to their phone carrier and getting their phone replaced!

Thanks so much man!

SGS-i747M - Bell Canada.

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I found that going from stock over to CWM10 sometimes breaks GPS... What I did to resolve the issue was wipe cache/data > Odin to stock rooted > Flash CWM10 again.

Worked for me! Hope it works for you! :good:

That's what I had to do....as much as I enjoy flashing ROMs and trying new stuff out, it is a pain to go all the way back to stock...but I wish I would've read this first!
Big thanks!

Neflhiem

Sep 27, 2012
Clearwater
Thanks

Lost my GPS after with Black Jelly Rom, went to Rooted Stock JB update from Mr. Robinsons post and still didnt have GPS. I couldnt get the coded Factory reset to work but doing it in the phone worked like a champ. Thanks for the info!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

7. reboot the phone
    11. boot up maps
    12. profit

3. profit

3. profit.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

GPS fix Back Permanent I747

if you dont see your gps icon on status bar. there is problem on your gps chip.
    becouse that was happend to me my I747. im more confused about it.
    i try more things like rom change,, firmware upgrade,, orginal samsung updates,, etc,, no more fix

after i go to the samsung service mode *#197328640#

then go to mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD>finish and dont exit menu
    wait 30 sec

long press power button and select restart..

thats all

now check your GPS from gps software...

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....
    Sticky? Since ALOT of people have this problem on all ROMs...
    OP updated with new info.
    Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! No problem.

I wanted to update and say I have not lost my GPS since switching to a T-Mobile based 4.1.2 rom. I have been testing it frequently by tracking my 30 minute commutes to and from work. If you are having problems like what I described in my previous post, I highly recommend trying out deTmobilized or STOCKORAMA.