[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-Bootloader/Recovery unlock process for KFire 2 [TWRP 2.6.3.0]

Search This thread

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
I just installed cm11 on my mother in laws kf2 yesterday.

Note: I think you have to be below 10.5 software version? (Unsure)

Your first step is to get adb and fastboot drivers working.

Then download minimal adb and fastboot (Google it)

You can test adb by typing:
adb devices

from the command prompt you get when you run with minimal adb

You can now boot into fastboot
By typing:
Adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"

Now test fastboot by typing
Fastboot -i 0x1949 devices

If all works

Then find all the files
Hashcode mentions at the first page of this thread (I think they were around post 545)

Run the commands one by one
If you don't use the latest twrp you will not be able to install cm11 but can cm10

Note: you have to immediately flash a ROM. Twrp goes away every time you boot kindle os..

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

This post helped me get my drivers working:

http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd...le-fire-2-question-noob-t3206666/post66052428

Last edited:
Reactions: pc boy

pc boy

Mar 20, 2011
I managed to flash bootloader and recovery and managed to boot into recovery once, but I did not flash anything and just rebooted. now my kf2 is in bootloop and the blue logo does not show up so that I can enter recovery mode again.
Please help!!!

titziano1214

Sep 18, 2016
acer liquid jade z bootloader

can someone tell me how to unlock the bootloader of a acer liquid jade z please I searched all over the internet but I didn't find anything

atMyOwnrisK

Nov 23, 2011
Seattle
Would someone be so kind to offer new download links, goo.im website is down for good.
Thanks!!

Edited: just found the post above with different link uploads #562

Last edited:

pakidermo5000

Nov 13, 2011
==========

--- Place the TWRP backup / or the ROM and gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

--- ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:

adb push stack /sdcard/
adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

--- Connect fastboot cable, and reboot the device so that "Fastboot" is showing

fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.7.1.0-recovery.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

--- If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot

During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Thanks man !! You are my hero.
I could flash my Kindle Fire 2 which had the Stock ROM with version 10.5.1 following your indications. Now I have PACRom Up and running.

I will only add some links to download stuff.

How to flash a new ROM in your stock Kindle Fire 2.
I assume you have the "Minimal ADB and fastboot" ready in your computer as well as the drivers.
0- Check that when you connect the kindle in your windows computer, you see "Android Phone --> Android ADB Interface".
Is this not the case, it means your drivers are not OK. Google it.

1- you need root.
download the KingRoot app from here and install it in your kindle. KingRoot
2- reboot your kindle
3- Now you need to download the files that you will have to flash.
4- Download ROM and Gapps
You can choose whatever ROM you like.
I tried LineageOS 12.1 but could not make it work. I could not go pass the wifi bug. Wifi bug .

And the corresponding Gapps. OpenGapps[/INDENT]

And now follow the process explained by @mikeataol
Boot normally
1- Boot normally your Kindle Fire 2 and copy these files in the /sdcard/ of Kindle fire. The ROM and Gapps will be copied later
Code:
adb push [U]stack [/U]/sdcard/
adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"
2- Now get in fastboot mode
You only need a normal cable USB cable. If you were able to copy the files to the sdcard, it means you have a good cable. Sometimes, some cables do not work. Try another one.
This command will get you in fastboot mode
Code:
adb shell "su -c 'reboot bootloader'"
Once in fastboot mode
Now you will flash the other files that are in your computer
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader [U]otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bi[/U]n
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [U]otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img[/U]
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [U]otter2-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery.img[/U] --> watch out with this one, check it is the right version

--- If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot

During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP

Once at TWRP
Wipe --> Advance Wipe and Select: WATCH out, this will delete everything you have in the /sdcard/ WE will have to copy ROM and Gapps
x Dalvik Cache
x Data
x cache
x system
x internal storage

Then --> format data

The internal memory (/sdcard/) is now empty. We have to copy the files.
Mount --> mount USB as storage

Now in the ADB window type
Code:
adb push "Name of the ROM you downloaded" /sdcard/
adb push "Name of the Gapps you downloaded" /sdcard/

Then Install

--> Select the ROM and Gapps.
And wait until it is done. (it takes some minutes)
Congratulations. You have a Kindle Fire 2 with a real Android ROM

Last edited:

Storm.Chaser

Dec 2, 2018
Can I send my Kindle Fire 2 to anyone to have them install a custom ROM for me?

I can't seem to get past the initial fastboot commands....

EDIT: Ive rooted the device and issued the command to reboot in fastboot mode.
So I have fastboot showing on the kindle now. Problem now is there is no driver installed for it in windows. In device manager it says otter2-prod-04.

Does anyone have a link to the correct driver so I can start issuing fastboot commands? thanks

Last edited:

wcarlson40

May 26, 2016
Can I send my Kindle Fire 2 to anyone to have them install a custom ROM for me?

I can't seem to get past the initial fastboot commands....

EDIT: Ive rooted the device and issued the command to reboot in fastboot mode.
So I have fastboot showing on the kindle now. Problem now is there is no driver installed for it in windows. In device manager it says otter2-prod-04.

Does anyone have a link to the correct driver so I can start issuing fastboot commands? thanks

Sweet! I found an old Kindle Fire 2, and can confirm pakidermo5000's post still works!

Storm.Chaser - I had the same issue with the fastboot commands. This video helped (although it's in spanish, you can still follow along): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sJWh6yrsY

Storm.Chaser

Dec 2, 2018
Sweet! I found an old Kindle Fire 2, and can confirm pakidermo5000's post still works!

Storm.Chaser - I had the same issue with the fastboot commands. This video helped (although it's in spanish, you can still follow along): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73sJWh6yrsY
Thanks brother! That did the trick, now the only question remaining is will I be able to install this custom TWRP and ROM despite the fact I have Kindle fire 2 Version 10.5.1

wcarlson40

May 26, 2016
Ugg, I can't find a ROM where the wifi works... The only Rom I could find was "cm-11-20141112-SNAPSHOT-M12-otter2" It runs fine, but no wifi........ I tried the link to fix the "wifi bug", but it didn't work :(

Does anyone have a link / download for CM 10.2?

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Thanks brother! That did the trick, now the only question remaining is will I be able to install this custom TWRP and ROM despite the fact I have Kindle fire 2 Version 10.5.1

Yes, I have the same Kindle Fire 2 version, and it seemed to work fine. Even TWRP survives a reboot (I used the 2.7.0.0 version) . But, as I mentioned, finding the ROM's from 6 years ago is the trouble..... :(

Reactions: Storm.Chaser

Storm.Chaser

Dec 2, 2018
I guess I should have kept searching/reading. Lineage OS 11 works just fine on my 6 year old Kindle Fire 2!
https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd/fire-2-development/rom-lineageos-11-unofficial-otter2-t3864996

Okay great. I've downloaded the ROM and started on the installation process, however, I am running into a problem here with the -i usage of fastboot. Can you shed any light on this issue? Do I just need a different version of fastboot?
https://ibb.co/MnJH5C0

wcarlson40

May 26, 2016
Okay great. I've downloaded the ROM and started on the installation process, however, I am running into a problem here with the -i usage of fastboot. Can you shed any light on this issue? Do I just need a different version of fastboot?
https://ibb.co/MnJH5C0

Are you in fastboot mode when you run this command? (Is your kindle a black screen with large words that say FlashBoot with red and green dots?)

Storm.Chaser

Dec 2, 2018
Are you in fastboot mode when you run this command? (Is your kindle a black screen with large words that say FlashBoot with red and green dots?)

Yes thanks and I sorted that issue out. Turns out some later versions of fastboot did not have the capability for use with the "I" switch. So I downloaded a older version and was able to push the files to the tablet no problem.

I loaded TWRP Version 2.6.3.0 as well and did a through format / cleared all cache, etc.
However, I am running into a new problem when I go ahead and try flashing the actual ROM file. Check this out:

KIMG0063.jpg

wcarlson40

May 26, 2016
Yes thanks and I sorted that issue out. Turns out some later versions of fastboot did not have the capability for use with the "I" switch. So I downloaded a older version and was able to push the files to the tablet no problem.

I loaded TWRP Version 2.6.3.0 as well and did a through format / cleared all cache, etc.
However, I am running into a new problem when I go ahead and try flashing the actual ROM file. Check this out:

KIMG0063.jpg

It sounds like you’re almost there! This is my first root/Rom experience, so I’m not an expert, but all I can say is that it worked for me :)

My guess is that you need the newer TWRP (I used 2.7.0.0)

You can also check the MD5 sum on your Rom to make sure you didn’t get a corrupted download

Storm.Chaser

Dec 2, 2018
It sounds like you’re almost there! This is my first root/Rom experience, so I’m not an expert, but all I can say is that it worked for me :)

My guess is that you need the newer TWRP (I used 2.7.0.0)

You can also check the MD5 sum on your Rom to make sure you didn’t get a corrupted download

Yes I think I am close. In the mean time, I downloaded an older ROM and it worked!

However, I would like something more current. Do you have a link to where you downloaded TWRP version 2.7.0.0 from? Thx

Storm.Chaser

Dec 2, 2018
Reactions: mikeataol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing: Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.6.3.0 for the Kindle Fire 2nd GEN

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
    *** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

** WHEN MOVING FROM AMAZON OS TO CM10.1 IN TWRP: "WIPE" -> "SYSTEM" AND "FACTORY RESET" TO CLEAR SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE. YOUR APPS FROM AMAZON ICS AREN'T COMPATIBLE. IF NOT YOU'LL LOOP ON THE CM10.1 BOOT ANIMATION **

[03/27] NEW support thread for OFFICIAL CM on the Otter2 (Kindle Fire 2):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209995

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING FASTBOOT CABLE + FASTBOOT DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
    A: Plug the cable into your device and then the computer. Reboot the Kindle. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen. Once at the screen use this command on your computer:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
    You should see something like this:
    0123456789ABCDEF

Here's 1 website you can purchase a FASTBOOT adapter from (works with your normal USB cable)
    http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm
    ** I don't make any commission or fee from the sales of these devices, I just know they have them on stock most of the time and ship in a reasonable time frame unlike the Chinese variants found on ebay.

If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for fastboot on your PC before proceeding.

*** BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE ON THE DEVICE ***

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS (1st TIME ONLY) FOR 2ND-BOOTLOADER + TeamWinRecoveryProject INSTALL:

STEP 1. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
    Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM10.1:
    1. Stack override file:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/stack
    2. [12/09] otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
      md5sum: 80f9b9ba80910de361463560f86f315a
    3. [09/03] TeamWin Recovery 2.6.3.0:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
      md5sum: a66a8cbab92fd5daaa85f6303e9cc0c3
    4. older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
      md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498
      (You SHOULD check the MD5SUM before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)
    5. CM-10.1/CM-10.2 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
      http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2
    6. Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the version: CM10.1 or CM10.2)
    Place the ROM and the gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

STEP 3. Install the stack override in /system:
    ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:
    [2013-08-21] edited the location where stack is placed on device due to permissions changes
    Code:
    adb push stack /sdcard/

[ Connect fastboot cable, and reboot the device so that "Fastboot" is showing ]

STEP 4.
    Flash the OLD bootloader, new otter2-freedom-boot.img and TWRP recovery.[/B]
    *DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CM10.1 -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY*
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img

** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1/CM-10.2 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK:
    ** FIND THE FILES WE BACKED UP IN STEP #1 OR DOWNLOAD NEW ONES FROM THE RECOVERY THREAD HERE: **
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2035047

Once you have these files (we'll name them boot.img/recovery.img and system.img for the purpose of these instructions, but they could be different on your system).

Plug in your fastboot cable and reboot so that you see the fastboot screen and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [B]boot.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [B]recovery.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system [B]system.img[/B] # This one will take a few minutes

Enjoy

THANKS TO:
    • fattire for finding the original bootloader exploit
    • TESTERS: powerpoint45 and FMKilo
    Changelog: updated 2013-07-08

freedom boot.img (for use w/ stock Amazon OS + 2nd-bootloader):
    • [07/08] Updated w/ kernel from 10.4.3 release

TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) 2.6.0.0
    • [07/08] USB Vendor ID / Product ID in recovery now matches stock Amazon OS
    • [07/08] Based on 10.4.3 stock kernel
    • [07/08] Fixed recovery bootloop issue
    • [07/08] TWRP 2.6.0.0 update
    one more reserved space
    Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)

Bump just so everyone knows these files are here
    does anyone have a mirror of the files?

Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)