[GUIDE]Epic 4G Touch Root![9/18/2011][ROOT][ZEDOMAX][ACS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
MOD EDIT: STOP! THIS IS OLD AND DOES NOT WORK AND MAY BORK YOUR DEVICE. THIS IS NO LONGER RELEVANT.

Here's how to root your Epic 4G Touch:

Video Tutorial:

So, I finally got everything working today 3G/4G/Voice/Hauptic/Wifi, we have full root for the Epic 4G Touch!

Huge thanks to users ShabbyPenquin and Tanimn at ACS, I wouldn't have gotten this working without them.

*Note - This rooted kernel is still experimental, we are not responsible for anything that happens to your phone! You can always flash Bubby's stock kernel here after flashing Zedo Root to get back to stock with root or even bring your phone back to completely stock like day one. wootwoot

Here's how to root Epic 4G Touch:

This is for Windows ONLY, for Mac or Linux rooting, please see this thread!!!

Download rooting files here and unzip:
Download epic4gtouchrootv1.zip

Put your Epic 4G into download mode by holding down Power button and Volume down buttton, when you see an option screen, let go of both buttons then hit Volume up button.
epic4gtouchroot-1-690x416.jpg

You should now be in download mode, connect your USB cable from Epic 4G Touch to a Windows computer. (Sorry ODIN uses Windows only...)

epic4gtouchroot-2-690x479.jpg

Make sure you have Samsung Kies installed, it will install the proper drivers,

Download kies off samsung site here:
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/m...softwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Open up odin3 v1.85.exe, click on "PDA", then select "SPH-D710_Zedomax_Kernel.tar" and hit Start.
epic4gtouchroot-4-690x435.jpg

Your phone should reboot and voila, your phone should be rooted with SuperUser app.

epic4gtouchroot-5-690x427.jpg

Want to thank me?

Having issues with voice and data?

Most likely not from the kernel but you just need to do an MSL update, see video tutorial here. This one is for Evo 3D, u will need to use this method to read MSL: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17703908&postcount=11

***Try out some ROMs***

The best two ROMs for Epic 4G Touch right now:

Starburst ROM for Epic 4G Touch by PhantamHacker - I highly recommend Starburst ROM, I have it on my Tab 10.1, it rocks, faster/better/stock/overclock.

MIDnight ROm for Epic 4G Touch by pftdmedic rocks!

And if u need Arabic support, see here.

Don't forget to check out my new site http://epic4gtouchroot.com, subscribe to my email list, and subscribe to my YouTube channel!!!

For donations, donate to these guys instead of me: ShabbyPenquin and Tanimn at ACS/XDA

AZg3aA2CEAA4Gjt.jpg

GOT ROOT!

NOTE: I will be posting full step-by-step instructions on how to compile your kernel and what I've learned, this is my first root! Still can't believe it. Coming soon at AndroidKernels.com so you don't have to decompile my code.

For those of you who want better battery life/performance/overclocking, flash this Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1269437

The first day of root STUFF*******************************************************************************

UPDATE 9/18/2011: 6PM PST, FULL ROOT ACHIEVED, WIFI/VOICE/3G/4G WORKING!!! Instructions coming soon, Zedomax Kernel is here!!! (My first ever kernel rooted, huge thanks to tanimn and ShabbyPenquin, I took some of their work and found a way to get wifi working.)

UPDATE 9/17/2011: Voice CDMA, capacitative buttons, usb, sdcard working now:
UPDATE 9/16/2011:

Working on it, worked on it all day long, if I can just figure out how to get Samsung open source kernel to actually work, we should have a fully rooted Epic Touch 4G soon...

Working on it, will update this thread when I have everything working in order.

And thanks to everyone tried to help me earlier with the config files.

UPDATE2: I just got a replacement from Sprint!

UPDATE1: I just HARD BRICKED MY PHONE, can't not get into ODIN, which I was using to flash kernels, damn it, didn't know that would happen, try again tomorrow after I get my replacement. I am just gonna tell Sprint my phone just started giving me blank boot-ups, that shoulda work. good thing i got the warranty.

Here's what I did: (and plz don't try this as you can really brick ur phone!!!)

I just tried flashing original Galaxy S2 Clockwork mod (which flashes but you lose 3g/4g/voice) then flash superuser/su with clockwork mod(which gives you root), and lastly you just need to flash a working Epic 4G Touch kernel (from a kernel compiled on Samsung Open source), but that kernel doesn't work and ends up in a boot loop. Looks like we have to find a way to get initramfs compiled with the kernel, trying to do that, any help appreciated.

The bricking part wasn't caused by what i did above i got so frustrated and used a PIT file for ODIN off an Epic 4g, (don't do that).

You won't brick your phone by doing what I did but not do flash PIT file off Epic 4G like I dido.

You are gonna lose 3g/4g/voice if you do what i did by flashing s2 original recovery/kernel, until someone can post a stock kernel of epic 4g touch that works correctly, the ones off samsung's open source site don't.
**********above is all old stuff from first day of root*********************************************************************************************

Want to contact me?
Add me on GooglePlus:
https://plus.google.com/105122758270056069711

Add me on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/howtoblog

And me on twitter:
http://twitter.com/zedomax

403034805-030a13902ce31ce16a1fb10cc6990767.4e78fed0-full.png

Last edited by a moderator:

wingzfan

May 14, 2008
Absolutely amazing and awesome. Cannot wait for root. Looks like ill be up all night watching this section. Great job devs

Sent from a Galaxy far far away...

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
Best part of my phone not arriving until Tuesday: root will likely already be fully achieved before I've so much as opened the box. You rock.

krizzeam

Nov 12, 2010
Nashville
Woohoo! Just upgraded from rooted hero......2 different dimensions... Already so close to rooting this thing you guys are awesome.

Sent from my GALAXY S2!!! using XDA App

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
That is the most beutifull pic ive seen all day. I need me some of that su.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

damn it, i just really hard bricked my phone while trying to flash a new kernel. Oh well, its so bricked sprint will HAVE to give me a replacement tomorrow.

Night folks, this is the first time i bricked an android device. Arghh...

Reactions: silvermayil

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Not even download mode? Hmmm, that sucks. Just play dumb when you go to Sprint.

exactly, "ummm, yeah, my phone started not booting and giving me blank pages..."

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Fun times! There's no recovery for odin to use?

here's what i did, i used the pit file for epic 4g, hoping that could make the compiled kernel to boot somehow and poof, no more download mode, my phone is just bricked hardcore. I should have not done that.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
So I take it Ginger Break or Z4Root are outta the Question!!!??:confused:

actually havent tried that but could work. I just tried flashing original Galaxy S2 Clockwork mod (which flashes but you lose 3g/4g/voice) then flash superuser/su with clockwork mod(which gives you root), and lastly you just need to flash a working Epic 4G Touch kernel (from a kernel compiled on Samsung Open source), but that kernel doesn't work and ends up in a boot loop. Samsung needs to really fix the issue as I compiled about a hundred times with different config files but they DON'T WORK otherwise I would have a working rooted epic 4g touch instead of a brick.

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
actually havent tried that but could work. I just tried flashing original Galaxy S2 Clockwork mod (which flashes but you lose 3g/4g/voice) then flash superuser/su with clockwork mod(which gives you root), and lastly you just need to flash a working Epic 4G Touch kernel (from a kernel compiled on Samsung Open source), but that kernel doesn't work and ends up in a boot loop. Samsung needs to really fix the issue as I compiled about a hundred times with different config files but they DON'T WORK otherwise I would have a working rooted epic 4g touch instead of a brick.

This saddens me :(

Nonetheless you are featured on BriefMobile: http://briefmobile.com/epic-4g-touch-rooted

jaybizza

Feb 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
SORRY ZED!!

On a GOOD note I'm sure you will have No Problem getting a replacement...I bricked 3 Galaxy 7" Tabs in the past and never had any problems gettig replacements...Just try NOT to make a habit of it..WE NEED U MAN!!!:p

k0nane had that problem with the indulge, if i remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD EDIT: STOP! THIS IS OLD AND DOES NOT WORK AND MAY BORK YOUR DEVICE. THIS IS NO LONGER RELEVANT.

Here's how to root your Epic 4G Touch:

Video Tutorial:

So, I finally got everything working today 3G/4G/Voice/Hauptic/Wifi, we have full root for the Epic 4G Touch!

Huge thanks to users ShabbyPenquin and Tanimn at ACS, I wouldn't have gotten this working without them.

*Note - This rooted kernel is still experimental, we are not responsible for anything that happens to your phone! You can always flash Bubby's stock kernel here after flashing Zedo Root to get back to stock with root or even bring your phone back to completely stock like day one. wootwoot

Here's how to root Epic 4G Touch:

This is for Windows ONLY, for Mac or Linux rooting, please see this thread!!!

Download rooting files here and unzip:
    Download epic4gtouchrootv1.zip

Put your Epic 4G into download mode by holding down Power button and Volume down buttton, when you see an option screen, let go of both buttons then hit Volume up button.
    epic4gtouchroot-1-690x416.jpg

You should now be in download mode, connect your USB cable from Epic 4G Touch to a Windows computer. (Sorry ODIN uses Windows only...)

epic4gtouchroot-2-690x479.jpg

Make sure you have Samsung Kies installed, it will install the proper drivers,

Download kies off samsung site here:
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/m...softwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Open up odin3 v1.85.exe, click on "PDA", then select "SPH-D710_Zedomax_Kernel.tar" and hit Start.
    epic4gtouchroot-4-690x435.jpg

Your phone should reboot and voila, your phone should be rooted with SuperUser app.

epic4gtouchroot-5-690x427.jpg

Want to thank me?

Having issues with voice and data?

Most likely not from the kernel but you just need to do an MSL update, see video tutorial here. This one is for Evo 3D, u will need to use this method to read MSL: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17703908&postcount=11

***Try out some ROMs***

The best two ROMs for Epic 4G Touch right now:

Starburst ROM for Epic 4G Touch by PhantamHacker - I highly recommend Starburst ROM, I have it on my Tab 10.1, it rocks, faster/better/stock/overclock.

MIDnight ROm for Epic 4G Touch by pftdmedic rocks!

And if u need Arabic support, see here.

Don't forget to check out my new site http://epic4gtouchroot.com, subscribe to my email list, and subscribe to my YouTube channel!!!

For donations, donate to these guys instead of me: ShabbyPenquin and Tanimn at ACS/XDA

AZg3aA2CEAA4Gjt.jpg

GOT ROOT!

NOTE: I will be posting full step-by-step instructions on how to compile your kernel and what I've learned, this is my first root! Still can't believe it. Coming soon at AndroidKernels.com so you don't have to decompile my code.

For those of you who want better battery life/performance/overclocking, flash this Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1269437

The first day of root STUFF*******************************************************************************

UPDATE 9/18/2011: 6PM PST, FULL ROOT ACHIEVED, WIFI/VOICE/3G/4G WORKING!!! Instructions coming soon, Zedomax Kernel is here!!! (My first ever kernel rooted, huge thanks to tanimn and ShabbyPenquin, I took some of their work and found a way to get wifi working.)

UPDATE 9/17/2011: Voice CDMA, capacitative buttons, usb, sdcard working now:
    UPDATE 9/16/2011:

Working on it, worked on it all day long, if I can just figure out how to get Samsung open source kernel to actually work, we should have a fully rooted Epic Touch 4G soon...

Working on it, will update this thread when I have everything working in order.

And thanks to everyone tried to help me earlier with the config files.

UPDATE2: I just got a replacement from Sprint!

UPDATE1: I just HARD BRICKED MY PHONE, can't not get into ODIN, which I was using to flash kernels, damn it, didn't know that would happen, try again tomorrow after I get my replacement. I am just gonna tell Sprint my phone just started giving me blank boot-ups, that shoulda work. good thing i got the warranty.

Here's what I did: (and plz don't try this as you can really brick ur phone!!!)

I just tried flashing original Galaxy S2 Clockwork mod (which flashes but you lose 3g/4g/voice) then flash superuser/su with clockwork mod(which gives you root), and lastly you just need to flash a working Epic 4G Touch kernel (from a kernel compiled on Samsung Open source), but that kernel doesn't work and ends up in a boot loop. Looks like we have to find a way to get initramfs compiled with the kernel, trying to do that, any help appreciated.

The bricking part wasn't caused by what i did above i got so frustrated and used a PIT file for ODIN off an Epic 4g, (don't do that).

You won't brick your phone by doing what I did but not do flash PIT file off Epic 4G like I dido.

You are gonna lose 3g/4g/voice if you do what i did by flashing s2 original recovery/kernel, until someone can post a stock kernel of epic 4g touch that works correctly, the ones off samsung's open source site don't.
    **********above is all old stuff from first day of root*********************************************************************************************

Want to contact me?
    Add me on GooglePlus:
    https://plus.google.com/105122758270056069711

Add me on Facebook:
    http://facebook.com/howtoblog

And me on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zedomax

403034805-030a13902ce31ce16a1fb10cc6990767.4e78fed0-full.png
    Just got full root!

JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!JUST GOT FULL ROOT!

3G/4G/Wifi/Voice/GPS/Bluetooth all working!!!

Posting details soon, check back!!!!
    uploading prerooted system img now, its gunna be a min :( 1mbps upload

got ravizzle doing a flash of it, then ill have him pull kernel and everyone can have initramfs and compile kernels and everyone can have root! yay?
    ok rooting my phone again, damn it, you guys better come up with a flashable kernel quickly caz i need to do video reviews with my phone, thx in advance, pulling 5,6,9.
    Do we have a way to get back to stock at this point? I'm also on V2 and having some problems. Everything works fine for a period, but eventually the cellular radio turns itself off (icon goes to a circle with an X through it) and the only way to get it back is to reboot. I'd say I'm having to reboot every 15-30min.
    we (ACS) are almost done so hold tight, som devs are still in school and others do have jobs but i swear it coming.