How do you make voice calls without carrier service

Search This thread

kyleds

Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu
Hey guys, asking pretty much what's in heading. Can I use a phone simply on wifi , without a Sim and make phone calls?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
there are many apps that use wifi...
Skype is one...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ggillie

Aug 3, 2012
Vontage

I use the Vontage app. It doesn't use any of your minutes (I'm on the 100 minute 5GB T-Mobile plan) and its free. Additionally, it uses your mobile number on the caller ID (out-going calls only). This means that when you call your mom, girlfriend, etc. they will answer because the number is recognized as being yours. Give it a shot.

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
I use text plus with a different number as a back up and talkatone with Google voice.

So you have 3 numbers? lol.. 1 for text plus, 1 for GV and your reg cell plan...

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

I use the Vontage app. It doesn't use any of your minutes (I'm on the 100 minute 5GB T-Mobile plan) and its free. Additionally, it uses your mobile number on the caller ID (out-going calls only). This means that when you call your mom, girlfriend, etc. they will answer because the number is recognized as being yours. Give it a shot.
Vonage works like skype?? you need to buy credits to beable to make calls unless its to another vonage user??

ggillie

Aug 3, 2012
So you have 3 numbers? lol.. 1 for text plus, 1 for GV and your reg cell plan...

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Vonage works like skype?? you need to buy credits to beable to make calls unless its to another vonage user??

You do not need to buy credits to make outgoing calls (at least with my setup). I still have carrier service so when I first setup my Vonage app, they verified my mobile number by first sending a text message with a verification code. After entering the code, I can call anyone in my contact list and my mobile number will display on their caller ID. No credits or charges.

I imagine that without carrier service, you may be limited to only calling other Vonage users (like skype), but you would have to see for yourself as I still have carrier service.

I tried Google Voice with Groove-IP, Talkatone, Sip-Clients, and other imaginable setup. Ultimately, my family despised my shoddy/echo-y calls. I ended up porting my number away from Google Voice after 6 months. Then again, this was two years ago and at that time I was using a HTC Sensation, so your experience may be better than mine (especially with a Nexus 5).

Good luck!

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2

Yeah but I don't use all of them obviously. My regular plan is unlimited everything through t-mobile. If I need to give out my number and don't really want to I give them my Google voice number. That why I can block out spam calls and set a blacklist easily through Google voice. Same thing for sales on Craigslist and such, filtered through gv. Textplus is like a semi emergency number. There's Internet everywhere and using otg I can even plug in an ethernet cable into my phone and call if I have no service.

intraCore

Nov 7, 2013
I use GVPhone - it uses Google Voice and calls straight through Wi-Fi for free without being connected to cellular. I installed GVPhone and Google Voice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
You do not need to buy credits to make outgoing calls (at least with my setup). I still have carrier service so when I first setup my Vonage app, they verified my mobile number by first sending a text message with a verification code. After entering the code, I can call anyone in my contact list and my mobile number will display on their caller ID. No credits or charges.
Little confused... So it uses your mobile data to make calls using Vonage app and you can call mobiles and landlines for free, is this local or long distance also?

ggillie

Aug 3, 2012
Little confused... So it uses your mobile data to make calls using Vonage app and you can call mobiles and landlines for free, is this local or long distance also?

Correct. I mainly use Vonage on WiFi as I have poor cell signal at my home. Domestic calls are free (local & long distance) but they have low rates on international calls if needed.

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
Correct. I mainly use Vonage on WiFi as I have poor cell signal at my home. Domestic calls are free (local & long distance) but they have low rates on international calls if needed.
And this free to call landlines and mobile phones??? hmm... is there a delay from when you speak and when the other person listens?

I was using Fongo app (dell voice before) and its was free to call local numbers.. thought I could live with it and just data only plan... the delay was so bad I gave up.. haha

fred_yu_job

Jan 8, 2012
Fongo is another choice; you will get a real phone number, and make free land-line calls in Canada over WIFI.
or, for USA, try Pinger ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts