How to get ROOT For NC5 from NC5 OTA!

Search This thread

caniswesley

Apr 29, 2013
I could be entirely wrong, but after some conversation with @klabit87, I think we've found a useful little tidbit for people wanting to have root for NC5 and who have either just purchased a S4 with NC5, or have accidentally or intentionally taken NC5 OTA update and then find they'd like to have root on NC5. You just have to downgrade your bootloader from NC5 to NC2! From there, follow @Surge1223's instructions for downgrading from NC2 to MK2, get MK2 and root with saferoot, and then use @Surge1223's instructions for upgrading to NC5 with Root.

I apologize to the moderators and devs if I'm entirely out of line in posting this, and won't be offended if this thread is locked or deleted. :eek:

Last edited:

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011
I think you lost me:confused:
It is my impression that NC5 OTA can downgrade to MK2 without needing root access via Odin.
From there root MK2 and move up the process to prerooted NC5.
I'm pretty sure on that. Anybody can downgrade via surge's method, rooted/unrooted.

Reactions: Cateastrophe
T

Techguy2002

It is my impression that NC5 OTA can downgrade to MK2 without needing root access via Odin.
I'm pretty sure on that. Anybody can downgrade via surge's method, rooted/unrooted.

You are correct!

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
Video please. and i didnt think you could odin back using one of the full tars.

Anyone have sucess, if so please share your steps.

ExiaGN

May 10, 2014
Maysville
OK I am new to the android world and also to rooting, Ai was thinking about it before I took the update so? Is it possible to still root with the new NC5 build or are we still waiting ? If it's possible can anyone point me I. The right direction, to read up on ?

MmmMonster

May 4, 2014
NC5

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726868 for downgrading to MK2 and upgrading back to NC5 with root.

i took the OTA update to NC5 and followed this thread and it worked great. running 4.4.2 NC5 with root now. didnt have to do anything after for wifi. only thing is when youre downgrading theres 3 files to flash and i never let my phone try to boot (it says after step 2 your phone should boot but mine didnt [could be because i was impatient?]) i flashed the file, let it start rebooting, pull the battery, go back to odin, flash the next file, repeat until youre done flashing then let your phone boot all the way.

tmushy

Jan 13, 2007
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726868 for downgrading to MK2 and upgrading back to NC5 with root.

i took the OTA update to NC5 and followed this thread and it worked great. running 4.4.2 NC5 with root now. didnt have to do anything after for wifi. only thing is when youre downgrading theres 3 files to flash and i never let my phone try to boot (it says after step 2 your phone should boot but mine didnt [could be because i was impatient?]) i flashed the file, let it start rebooting, pull the battery, go back to odin, flash the next file, repeat until youre done flashing then let your phone boot all the way.

I thought we wernt able to downgrade from nc5?

Can someone confirm this is correct before I attempt this on my phone

Last edited:

MmmMonster

May 4, 2014
I thought we wernt able to downgrade from nc5?

Can someone confirm this is correct before I attempt this on my phone

Yea I haven't heard of others trying it this way. I've heard of people downgrading to NC2 and then downgrading to MK2 but i couldnt find anything on downgrading to NC2. I tried it and it worked for me but there could be nuances.

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
We really need a video on how to root NC5 OTA by downgrading to clear this up. Anybody willing to make one?

cvondra

Nov 29, 2007
Not to be an ass but why do you need a video? If you can't follow typed instructions its my opinion you have no business doing this stuff in the first place.

Reactions: D3Seeker

tmillz

Dec 29, 2010
Abilene, TX
Sorry for the dumb question, but are we able to install safe strap once we've downgraded to mk2? Or are we stuck with the nc5 bootloader?

todd3835

Feb 13, 2008
Sorry for the dumb question, but are we able to install safe strap once we've downgraded to mk2? Or are we stuck with the nc5 bootloader?

You are stuck on nc5 bootloader bit once rooted safestrap should work. I can't say 100% some I'm on nc2 myself

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I could be entirely wrong, but after some conversation with @klabit87, I think we've found a useful little tidbit for people wanting to have root for NC5 and who have either just purchased a S4 with NC5, or have accidentally or intentionally taken NC5 OTA update and then find they'd like to have root on NC5. You just have to downgrade your bootloader from NC5 to NC2! From there, follow @Surge1223's instructions for downgrading from NC2 to MK2, get MK2 and root with saferoot, and then use @Surge1223's instructions for upgrading to NC5 with Root.

I apologize to the moderators and devs if I'm entirely out of line in posting this, and won't be offended if this thread is locked or deleted. :eek:
    NC5

We really need a video on how to root NC5 OTA by downgrading to clear this up. Anybody willing to make one?

Not a video but everyone is following one of these two threads:

Surge1223's - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726868
    gigilie's - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2720163
    Not to be an ass but why do you need a video? If you can't follow typed instructions its my opinion you have no business doing this stuff in the first place.