Step by Step 2.2 to 2.3 cm7 upgrade DELL VENUE

Search This thread

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I dont know if talk2 allows you to use the rear cam, it doesnt normally allow the option to switch cams and obviously you cant see the other person if you use the rear cam.

You could likely hack it so it thinks your rear cam is your front cam, but I havnt looked into that.

prasad12ka4

I dont know if talk2 allows you to use the rear cam, it doesnt normally allow the option to switch cams and obviously you cant see the other person if you use the rear cam.

You could likely hack it so it thinks your rear cam is your front cam, but I havnt looked into that.
Thanks...
I had posted in your thread for Stage UI 1.6 version
Can that version work in CM7 ?? 2.3.7??

lokupvan

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks a ton to you guys!

First of all, Thanks to Hiren's precise instructions , have managed to update to CM7 on my venue.

This after unsuccessfully trying to root the venue using superOne click(i was on Android v2.2.2 after an upgrade, guess that was the problem.Well you guys can tell better).

Hope CM9 comes out real soon for the Venue.

To others trying to load the CM7, its easy(if you follow the instructions given at the start of this thread, to the word).But like they say, at your own risk

prasad12ka4

Force Close Bug

One Bug found in this MOD.
I aint sure if its a bug.

Settings>CynogenMod Settings>Display>Automatic Backlight>
under Light levels:

Edit Light Levels When you click on this, the CM Settings force closes.

Is it a Bug / Issue or it happens with me only?

Any help on this?

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
YES Edit Light Levels DOES NOT WORK AND GIVES A FORCE CLOSE
Were u able to decease brightness lvl more than the levels whcih venue has its lowest ?

prasad12ka4

YES Edit Light Levels DOES NOT WORK AND GIVES A FORCE CLOSE
Were u able to decease brightness lvl more than the levels whcih venue has its lowest ?

Nope
I left it on automatic,
Suits me best.

Have you tried any HD games?
I am unable to play Splinter Cell HD after the game starts and loads 100% it gets out to the desktop.

Asphalt 6 HD worked fine before the upgrade, but now shows some red lines on the menu screen.

Also a query, why does this handset recognized as Samsung on Opera Browser?

hirentherock555

May 12, 2012
Well no idea abt any of hd games as im not a game maniac at all
the only game i have on my cll is RACING MOTO!!

can u please upload the 2.2.2 file on mediafire so that i also can have a copy of stock rom?Is it flashable rar file?

prasad12ka4

So far we have seen two issues in this MOD:

1. Disable lockscreen from CM Settings the mobile takes too long to load if restarted.
2. Force Close > Settings>CynogenMod Settings>Display>Automatic Backlight>
under Light levels:

Edit Light Levels When you click on this, the CM Settings force closes.
3. Mute key in the call doesnt work, other end people can still hear us :(

Can anyone help us on this?

Last edited:

djmax81

May 9, 2010
Edmonton,Alberta
Guys.!!! Dell venue n dell streak 5got same rom n environment hardware too just diffrence is venue is Hdpi n dell streak is Mdpi .so why do nt we join hands n make ics work for dell :rolleyes: or on other hand u can take advantage of our dell streak 5 formus there r few good roms like longhorn 2.8 with Hdpi support for dell Venue and Dcs 1.1.which supports both hdpi n mdpi just need to edit build.prop n may be kernel....whish u all safe cooking ...n Friends in need friend indeed ..

Max

Sent from my Dell Streak using xda premium

nrseife

Jun 16, 2010
Just wanted to thank you (and everyone who contributed)!
My Venue camera (and all video players) for some reason started to show videos only in B/W instead of color a few months ago. Repeated resets did not help.
So my only chance was to hard reset the device (if the problem is not due to a hard error) and since I have to go through all this work I decided to upgrade the 2.2 to a 2.3.7.
Wow, not only did it fix my video/camera issue, suddenly Amazon MP3 shop started working (with the old 2.2 Android OS listening to music in the shop before buying frequently did not work) and the device seems much more responsive and faster now with no noticeable negative impact on battery live!
My Venue feels like a new, better device now - Thank you so much! Excellent work.

USGEO

Jun 24, 2012
Hi.
I have Dell Venue also with problem of random restart and freeze at logo.
Will CM7 fix this issue ? Or reason of release CM7 was just have something better than Andr 2.2.2 ?
Does it means Dell Venue's main issue is software and not hardware?
Or send it to replacement?

larsons785

Jul 1, 2012
miui

Hello, does this guide also applicable for MIUI.us_venue_2.4.27_hd instead of cm7? I mean my venue is not rooted and there is no any custom rom, just stock froyo, I am one of the total noob in this stuff as it was described in registration video, so I have planned to set custom rom, but MIUI 2.4, not cw7. Any help will be very appreciated

thanks, with kind regards

USGEO

Jun 24, 2012
Just received replacement brand new one from DELL, works nice, i hope it will last longer than first one, ones warranty will expire i'll think about CM7 or laters.:cowboy:

terminal17

Apr 29, 2012
Bangalore
Hello, does this guide also applicable for MIUI.us_venue_2.4.27_hd instead of cm7? I mean my venue is not rooted and there is no any custom rom, just stock froyo, I am one of the total noob in this stuff as it was described in registration video, so I have planned to set custom rom, but MIUI 2.4, not cw7. Any help will be very appreciated

thanks, with kind regards

yes u can use the same procedure to flash miui rom also...instead of selecting cm7...just select miui thats all

USGEO

Jun 24, 2012
If it's brand new, can you tell us what rom was preinstalled on it?

Brand new doesn't means "Just released", just new but i guess released earlier.
How can i find ROM version?

I guess finded it : Version:307, Build:13505, Region:30, Released: Dec 21, 2010, Latest Dell Rom .
So what to pay attention?
How i see there are much higher versions available and latest ones. Do you think it worth to update device ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HELP VIDEO FOR ANDROID NEWBIES TO HELP THEM CHANGE ROM FROM 2.2 TO 2.3 CM7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULPBh4cDYU

On demand of some of the very new to android users, im posting a relatively easy to understood upgrade process from 2.2 froyo to 2.3 cm7(custom rom).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfnoUB8EFOI VIDEO LINK TO THE CM7 ROM DEMO

Remember both these roms(cm7 and miui) are rooted roms.It voids the warranty.
    All credits given to the respective developers of the softwares/firmwares shown in this thread.Im just here to make the process more easy to understand.As developers say, DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

CM7 FLASHABLE FILE- http://www.mediafire.com/?f90c9utsp8luknd

GOOGLEAPPS PACKAGE- http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

COPY BOTH THESE FILES ON TO UR SDCARD(SAME FOLDER OR SEPERATE FOLDERS) BEFORE U PROCEED ANY FURTHER!

Download this file CLOCKWORK MOD- http://www.mediafire.com/?4mio3rwhhmjw5aq

steps to load cwm recovery
    1-Load dell drivers on ur pc which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
    2-setuo fastboot mode on your dell handset
    Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off
    Move ringer to UP position
    Hold down Power and Volume Down
    This will show fastboot mode is on.

3-Download and install cwm
    How to Install CWM?

Start recovery.exe and Extract all files
    U will see file named Install CWM.bat.
    Run that file and now plug ur dell venue to usb cable(venue is still in fastboot mode as we did it before)
    Follow instructions on the dos screen to make ur dell venue load cwm recovery.
    Your DELL Venue will reboot after installation is finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo after reboot.
    Immediate you press Volume UP+DOWN

5-Once you're in the CWM recovery before you flash the ROM zip, you need to :
    a. Wipe data/Factory Reset
    b. Wipe Cache Partition
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Use vul + - key to toggle the menu and go to INSTALL UPDATE option in that menu.Again on next screen u will be asked to choose update file selection.Option name i forgot may be "INSTALL UPDATE FROM SDCARD".
    Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA button to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

5-As installation finishes, you will see the msg - UPDATE COMPLETED.Then u need to go back to the previous menu and select REBOOT SYSTEM NOW.Finish that step.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive dell venue cm7 2.3 rom!

You wont be able to cnnect to any of google applications at this time.
    To enable google account and apps, u need to follow all the earlier steps and again go into the cwm recovery mode and install the GAAP packge which u have downloaded with cm7.The process will be same...update from sdcard,select gaap file and reboot.It should not be a big deal.
    option2:Also u can go to cm7 settings menu and find option to boot into cwm recovery in dell phone itself(no need of pc to run cwm).However u need the GOOGLEAPPS FLASHABLE file on ur sdcard to flash it in cwm recovery in any case...option1 or option2.

Same process needs to be followed to install another update for ussd/mmi codes.
    Download this package http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/misc/USSD Fix/update-USSDfix-2.zip and flash it in same way as gapps was done.This would solve ur problem of ussd codes( * # kind of calls) as well.

NOTES:
    ONE MAY FACE REDUCED BATTERY BACKUP IN THIS CM7 ROM,
    I HAVE FOUND A WAY FOR IT, BY USING SETCPU application WHICH COMES IN THIS ROM AS BUNDLED.
    MY SETCPU SETTINGS ARE:
    1-START ON BOOT CHECKED
    2-PROFILES ENABLED CHECKED. TWO PROFILES ADDED FIRST IS "SCREEN OFF" SET TO "POWERSAVE" AND SECOND PROFILE "IN CALL" SET TO "CONSERVATIVE"

*IF U GET STUCK AT BOOT AFTER INSTALLING ZIP OF CM7 FILE FROM CWM, U SHUD SIMPLE FOLLOW 2 STEPS. DO AL DATA WIPE,CACHE WIPE AND DATA RESET.THEN FLASH CM7 AGAIN WITHOUT RESTARTING PHN.THIS WILL SOLVE BOOT LOOPING PROBLEM IF ARISES.

THESE SETTINGS GIVE ME EXTRA BATTERY BACKUP OF ABT 3/4HOURS.
    On demand of some of the very new to android users, im posting a relatively easy to understood upgrade process from 2.2 froyo to 2.3 cm7(custom rom).

Remember both these roms(cm7 and miui) are rooted roms.It voids the warranty.
    All credits given to the respective developers of the softwares/firmwares shown in this thread.Im just here to make the process more easy to understand.As developers say, DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

CM7 FLASHABLE FILE- http://www.mediafire.com/?f90c9utsp8luknd

GOOGLEAPPS PACKAGE- http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

COPY BOTH THESE FILES ON TO UR SDCARD(SAME FOLDER OR SEPERATE FOLDERS) BEFORE U PROCEED ANY FURTHER!

steps to load cwm recovery
    1-Load dell drivers which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
    2-setuo fastboot mode on your dell handset
    Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off
    Move ringer to UP position
    Hold down Power and Volume Down
    This will show fastboot mode is on.

3-Download and install cwm
    How to Install CWM?

Download this file - http://www.mediafire.com/?4mio3rwhhmjw5aq
    Start recovery.exe and Extract all files
    U will see file named Install CWM.bat.
    Run that file and now plug ur dell venue to usb cable(venue is still in fastboot mode as we did it before)
    Follow instructions on the dos screen to make ur dell venue load cwm recovery.
    Your DELL Venue will reboot after install finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo
    Immediate you press Volume UP+DOWN

5-Once you're in the CWM recovery before you flash the ROM zip, you need to :
    a. Wipe data/Factory Reset)
    b. Wipe Cache Partition
    c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Use vul + - key to toggle the menu and go to INSTALL UPDATE option in that menu.Again on next screen u will be asked to choose update file selection.Option name i forgot may be "INSTALL UPDATE FROM SDCARD".
    Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA botton to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

5-As installation finishes, you will see the msg - UPDATE COMPLETED.Then u need to go back to the previous menu and select REBOOT SYSTEM NOW.Finish that step.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive world of dell venue cm7 2.3 firmware!

You wont be able to cnnect to any of google applications at this time.
    To enable google account and apps, u need to follow all the earlier steps and again go into the cwm recovery mode and install the GAAP packge which u have downloaded with cm7.The process will be same...update from sdcard,select gaap file and reboot.It should not be a big deal.

Thanks
    Super cool and simple explaination quite helpful. Will try this.
    But are there any bugs in this update?
    Also if possible is there any rollback method if we get stuck or mobile bricks?
    1ST CLICK ON SETCPU - RUN ON BOOT CHECK

GO TO PROFILES AND ADD 2 PROFILES
    1ST SELECT "SCREEN OFF" AND SELECTOR SCALLING "POWERSAVE"
    2ND SELECT "IN CALL" AND SELECT SCALLING "CONSERVATIVE"

iM USING THESE SETTINGS TODAY.
    cELL FULLY CHARGED AND DISCONNECTED POWER AT 8.30AM MORNING.
    iTS 5PM NOW AND BATTERY LEFT IS STILL56%

i HAVE WIFI ALWAYS ON AS I HAVE ROUTER AT HOME.
    i HAVENT USED MUCH OF INTERNET THOUGH.

AS PER BATTERY USE MENU TLL NOW FROM MORNING,
    DISPLAY IS USED FOR 1.3HRS.
    VOICE CALL DATA SHOWS 52MINUTES
    WIFI USED FOR 8.30 HOURS AS WELL.

i THINK ITS DECENT BATTERY BACKUP IF I KEEP THESE SETTINGS.

YES PERFORMANCE SEEMS TO BE SLIGHTLY LESS WITH SETCPU.ABT 10-15% LAG IN PERFORMANCE.BUTS I WILL TAKE THAT.
    I did not find any bugs in cm7 as yet...havent tried miui rom yet.
    CM7 is supercool rom.You would love it.Its 10times better than the 2.2 inbuilt rom dell give.

Rollback would require stockroms(which r available on his forum i think).
    Unbricking method post is also given in this forum.Check and do the diligence at ur own risk.
    Thanks guys!nw my dell is working fine with cm7! can i download & use go launcher instead of inbuit adw launcher!how to uninstall it ?
    Yes you can
    No need to uninstall ADW launcher
    Just make GO launcher your default launcher