Wait for keyboard case?

Search This thread
Mar 20, 2011
So, I know Asus announced that they won't be making a keyboard case for the Nexus 7, but do you think that a decent third party keybard case will be released? Because otherwise I'm currently shopping for Bluetooth keyboards for the Nexus 7 on amazon, and I'm looking at the amazonbasics bt keyboard.

It's 10.4 in wide which seems like less than other bt keyboards on amazon, which seem to be like 12in. I don't want something that's reaaaaaly tiny, which will be an issue for me if there is gonna be a keyboard case, because the Nexus 7 itself is something like 7.7 in wide, and that would seem awkward having a longer keyboard than the tablet itself.

What do you recommend? Wait it out, or just pick up any bt keyboard?

Thanks,

aaalso, I don't know if this is standard or anything, but can you connect more than one bt device at a time to the Nexus 7?

Reactions: Logan_M

fraeone

May 26, 2008
Seattle, WA
The keyboard would be ridiculously tiny, I wouldn't hold my breath for a keyboard case. There isn't one that I know of for the Fire or the Tab 7.7.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
This should work. Get it with a right-angle micro-USB to USB adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Artifical-Leather-Built--Keyboard-Black/dp/B004INMGV6
file_659.jpg

file_646_9.jpg

file_657.jpg

file_642_14.jpg

Last edited:

christohfur

Dec 25, 2010
Boston, MA
What do you think of the Zagg flex keyboard?

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggkeys-flex-tablet-keyboard-stand.php

Looks like a nice lightweight keyboard option. I know it doesn't give a laptop effect like you would get with a keyboardcase or transformer dock but portability was one of the main selling points of the Nexus 7 for me so I think I would go this option. maybe get a separate case maybe not. also it's cheaper from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-FOLZKFLE...UTF8&colid=1FXTT02DWHXTB&coliid=IEBVJVY46SSS8

Reactions: mrfahrenheit94
Mar 20, 2011

Looks like a nice lightweight keyboard option. I know it doesn't give a laptop effect like you would get with a keyboardcase or transformer dock but portability was one of the main selling points of the Nexus 7 for me so I think I would go this option. maybe get a separate case maybe not. also it's cheaper from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-FOLZKFLE...UTF8&colid=1FXTT02DWHXTB&coliid=IEBVJVY46SSS8

Wow! That actually looks really nice! Thank you for finding that. I'll have to investigate a little further to see if I cant find itto cheaper anywhere else, but otherwise I like it so far.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

rejctchoir

Jun 11, 2010
Bluetooth Keyboard

I ordered the Logitech Android Bluetooth Keyboard. I got it off of ebay for around $30 shipped (refurb). I'm sort of dubious that a keyboard that could fit into a case would also be a keyboard that would benefit typing over and above an onscreen keyboard.

Read the reviews on that Amazon page, they're pretty great. I think the logitech keyboard is small enough to be always in my bag, but big enough to give me a significant jump in my ability to type things if/when I'm in a note taking station.

ky0nkyon

Feb 2, 2010
I ordered the Logitech Android Bluetooth Keyboard. I got it off of ebay for around $30 shipped (refurb). I'm sort of dubious that a keyboard that could fit into a case would also be a keyboard that would benefit typing over and above an onscreen keyboard.

Read the reviews on that Amazon page, they're pretty great. I think the logitech keyboard is small enough to be always in my bag, but big enough to give me a significant jump in my ability to type things if/when I'm in a note taking station.

That keyboard is awesome. My gf has it for her transformer and it's really quick and responsive. She types almost a hundred wpm and has no lag issues.

My life for Aiur

Cl8rs

Nov 6, 2010
Roseville

Nice find!

I will highly consider this...

slack04

May 4, 2010

went through several bluetooth keyboards before finally getting this one. By far the best I've used; about 90% of regular keyboard size and logitech quality. I'd recommend it over any other bluetooth keyboard on the market. Check logitech's outlet site for dented box for a good deal with full warranty. Don't waste your time with a keyboard case though; even on a 10" tablet the keyboard is way too small for human hands (I tried 3 different ones for the Galaxy tab 10.1 and all were unusable).

Balthazar B

Jul 11, 2010
went through several bluetooth keyboards before finally getting this one. By far the best I've used; about 90% of regular keyboard size and logitech quality. I'd recommend it over any other bluetooth keyboard on the market. Check logitech's outlet site for dented box for a good deal with full warranty. Don't waste your time with a keyboard case though; even on a 10" tablet the keyboard is way too small for human hands (I tried 3 different ones for the Galaxy tab 10.1 and all were unusable).

Well, I'd recommend trying a few out in a well-stocked store (e.g., Fry's, Best Buy, etc.). I've had a few devices with smaller-than-normal keyboards, and pretty quickly my hands have developed motor memory such that I adapt and can type very quickly. I've found the quality of the keys (e.g., touch, firmness, range of motion) mean more than size.

OTOH, if you find it impossible to adapt, by all means go for a full-size keyboard with the trade-off being portability.

slack04

May 4, 2010
Well, I'd recommend trying a few out in a well-stocked store (e.g., Fry's, Best Buy, etc.). I've had a few devices with smaller-than-normal keyboards, and pretty quickly my hands have developed motor memory such that I adapt and can type very quickly. I've found the quality of the keys (e.g., touch, firmness, range of motion) mean more than size.

OTOH, if you find it impossible to adapt, by all means go for a full-size keyboard with the trade-off being portability.

Maybe if you have tiny hands. Also, you're sort of missing the connection: none of the quality keyboard makers would make one of these tiny cases (exception being the garbage Zagg by logitech keyboard case for the Galaxy tab 10.1). So you're not going to find a keyboard that is both quality and small; nor will you find a small keyboard that is quality. Mutual exclusivity.

Also you're mistaken if you think you're losing portability with the logitech android keyboard. Considering the built-in stand, all I need for a 7" tablet is the keyboard case, the tablet, and a thin slide-in case for the tablet (this is what I did with my Galaxy tab plus before I sold it...).

slack04

May 4, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Artifical-Leather-Built--Keyboard-Black/dp/B004INMGV6

ive got one of these ordered.

whilst the keyboard's dimensions may seem a bit small, i think the keys will end up being close to standard sized. if you measure out your keyboard, 20cm wide is enough to fit most of the alphanumeric keys, ignoring the numpad and arrow keys section.

$10. I'm sure it will be quality. If you want a laugh, read some of the 5-star reviews. I always think it's funny that these chinese companies don't just hire a couple of translators rather than just using babelfish...

(BTW - just to be clear: I have this case. It's one of the several that I tried before settling on the logitech for android keyboard. I still have it because it came directly from China and I couldn't reasonably return it. Don't be fooled; It's absolute garbage. Even if it was moderately good quality (it's not) the keys are tiny and either don't work or they stick; the case comes apart quickly, and there's nothing to stop the tablet from coming out the sides. Really. This is pure garbage. If you can you should cancel).

Last edited:

ky0nkyon

Feb 2, 2010
I'm thinking of getting a handheld keyboard. Do you think that it's a good idea as I'm only going to use it for minor emails.

My life for Aiur

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I know Asus announced that they won't be making a keyboard case for the Nexus 7, but do you think that a decent third party keybard case will be released? Because otherwise I'm currently shopping for Bluetooth keyboards for the Nexus 7 on amazon, and I'm looking at the amazonbasics bt keyboard.

It's 10.4 in wide which seems like less than other bt keyboards on amazon, which seem to be like 12in. I don't want something that's reaaaaaly tiny, which will be an issue for me if there is gonna be a keyboard case, because the Nexus 7 itself is something like 7.7 in wide, and that would seem awkward having a longer keyboard than the tablet itself.

What do you recommend? Wait it out, or just pick up any bt keyboard?

Thanks,

aaalso, I don't know if this is standard or anything, but can you connect more than one bt device at a time to the Nexus 7?

If you guys are looking to buy a bluetooth keyboard I'm selling one here in the marketplace. It's the logitech bluetooth keyboard for Android. Check out my topics to see my thread on it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium