[Nexus5]Lollipop UPDATED OP August 7th!!! [Zip Package] Viper4android

Search This thread

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013

Attached are the latest updated zips.

FAQ:

How do I install Viper???

Go into recovery and flash the zip. It will take care of most of the steps for you. Upon your first launch of the app you will be prompted to install drivers of your choosing then be prompted for a reboot. If coming from a previous version of Viper or you have any other sound mods I fully recommend uninstalling them. Then go into recovery and flash your ROM and the zip in one session.

Well what drivers do I use???

I recommend Super Audio quality. It uses a higher sampling rate which can be thought of as like a megapixel on a camera. More sample information equals cleaner signal but your files must be equal to or better than the driver sampling rate. I find the highs to be much cleaner and have less distortion with Super Audio. While the prompt warns about extra battery usage, testing with Better Battery Stats for me has shown the effect on battery life to be minimal. You will get higher drain using the Convolver then by choosing a higher quality driver.

Well what is Convolver and how do I use it???

Convolver will play a real time sample of an effect or eq as the sound is being processed. You can get really awesome effects from some of the irs samples but they come at a high price of battery usage. Using this setting doubled battery life usage for me on even conservative kernel governors. To enable you must go to the menu and enable Moderate or Expert UI, then press the button to enable Convolver and press Impulse Response, this will create a ViPER4Android folder on your SD card and within that you will have a folder named Kernel. This is where you will put your Irs Samples you download. You can find links to Irs packs here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2216193 PS......I've found that not all samples in all the packs work correctly and some will give no sound change.

HAAAAALP! This stoopit mod is killing my battery!!!

No it isn't. Unless you're using Convolver after being warned about it's effect on battery you should see little to no difference in daily use of getting notifications, texts, etc. I get about 6% an hour battery usage during music playback while streaming over bluetooth. If you're using a wired headset it should be less than that. I have never not even once seen Viper pop up on my stock battery stats and have only seen it as <1% on GSam after a full charge. Compatibility mode can be used as a last resort and final option if you're determined to call me a liar. Steps to enable it are outlined below.

This hack is ballz...I know wantz no mo???

To completely remove the changes done by my install zips you will need to do a manual wipe of system/davlik/cache to get rid of everything and then reflash ROM/Gapps/Mods. Reflashing your ROM without a manual wipe will not remove anything do to the addon.d scripts added so the zip will survive dirty flashes.

Why put the app in priv-app???

This will help to insure that Viper doesn't get killed by Android OOM to keep the sweet sound pumping into your ears!!!

My Viper isn't working!!!

Did you install by flashing the zip??? Is your apk in priv-app??? Do you have any other conflicting sound mods or eq's??? Is Viper enabled and you have installed the drivers and done a reboot??? Have you put SELinux into permissive mode???

Some people have luck adding or changing these lines in their build.prop:
##Viper4android

lpa.decode=false
tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=false
lpa.releaselock=false

Also some music players work better by switching to Compatibility Mode. To do that go to menu, click FX Compatible Mode, then click Compatible. Doing this should cause Viper to only modify media players instead of changing sound system wide. Some users say this helps with battery usage as Viper will only process sound when you want it to.

Still stuck? There is tons of helpful information in this thread that you can find by helping yourself click that "Search this thread" function towards the top right of your screen. Still stuck after that....ask away!

Wanted to say thanks to @rootSU and @FlyinGrub for lending a helping hand, @FuMMoD for posting updates to the Viper apk and libs, @davwman for getting this thread started, @Hid3rs for the Material Design framework, @chdloc for the awesome Stereo mix, @Spasticdroid for the audio_policy editing script, @Alex240188 for the material design Viper 2.3.4.0 apk, @//.dax for the sweet new icon. And of course the awesome Viper team for creating Viper. I refuse to run my phone without it!

Here is a link to the official thread for more information: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

!!!!!!LOLLIPOP USERS!!!!!!!! You NO LONGER need a full permissive kernel to get Viper working as long as you use SuperSU. To test your kernel open Google Play Music and play a track. If you get a "couldn't play stream requested message" you need to download this app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524485] and set it to PERMISSIVE mode, find yourself a full permisssive kernel, or switch to SuperSU. Enjoy!!!!

P.S.:
LolliViPER.zip will install Viper to priv-app and remove Audio FX, DSP Manager, and Music FX. It will also edit the audio_policy.conf for added app compatibility and add a script to allow Viper to work with SELinux enforcing with SuperSU. ***BONUS for ROMs with addon.d support-the zip will place a script into addon.d that will automatically backup and restore everything changed by the zip on dirty flashes eliminating the need to flash every update so long as you do not do a manual system wipe.***

LolliViPERsurROUND.zip will install Viper to priv-app and remove Audio FX, DSP Manager, and Music FX, and change the mixer path to enable the earpiece as a second speaker for stereo sound. It will also edit the audio_policy.conf for added app compatibility and add a script to allow Viper to work with SELinux enforcing with SuperSU. ***BONUS for ROMs with addon.d support-the zip will place a script into addon.d that will automatically backup and restore everything changed by the zip on dirty flashes eliminating the need to flash every update so long as you do not do a manual system wipe.*** !!!!!THIS MAY CAUSE BOOTLOOPS ON DEVICES OTHER THAN THE NEXUS 5!!!!!

5.1.x stock ROM users may need to remove system apps for the install to work. Google filled the system partition to the brim with little to no room left for installation.

The apk in all these zips use the Material Design Framework and may not install on devices lower than 5.0.

Attachments

• LolliViPERsurROUND.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 41,338
  • LolliViPER.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 109,300
Last edited:

Radixtrator

Jan 30, 2013
Im using it since the start so i cant really comment on How it was before but the sound quality is awesome on my n5. Dunno but i guess The bass is a bit low so i Bad to raise it More than other EQs I've used.. I heard the KitKat DSP is pretty nice as well but as I said I can't comment on that?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Anyone using it on the awesome nexus 5? If so, any noticeable improvements? Which one to install? And any negative effects?
V4A works well on N5 BUT:
- I sometimes have interferences when listening to my podcast audio files. I need to make some tests to know if this is due to V4A or an audio mod.
- there's no more IRS options atm and this is a shame!
- I'm going to flash OmniROM (again) and I'll only use DSP app for a few days and see what happens.

Reactions: DigitalUnderground

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
I won't run a phone without it!!!

- I sometimes have interferences when listening to my podcast audio files. I need to make some tests to know if this is due to V4A or an audio mod.

Been running Convolver with IRS samples since Nov 9th.:p I did notice that some were taken down but there are still some out there.

dellarius

Dec 9, 2009
which mode are you guys using? Battery saving, high q or super quality? Also, it says, that super quality may increase battery drain.. Dont you guys know how much it takes from battery? Thanks

pandacookie

Sep 5, 2011
Quincy
I'm using it on high quality. I DO notice a difference. The sound was a lot flatter before V4A. It's much more robust with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Super quality here. Purity Rom + Franco + PA Mini Gapps + Viper = rockin'
Not real noticeable on n5 speakers, but with good headphones it's night and day.... and my Klipsch s4's are not the best, but good enough for my listening. Some good profiles here.

Ronaldo Forenucci

May 19, 2012
I went with Battery Saver. I'm not an audiophile and all I mainly listen to are podcasts. It *does* work, you can definitely here changes when you activate features or change sliders. Using the Convolver with Urei 1178 Impluse.irs, but tried Beats and WaveMaxx .irs as well. I was a EIZO user, but when they got rid of user configurable EQ, I baled.

giannis_ch

Nov 15, 2010
Athens
If you are using equalizers from within music players like Poweramp, does viper4android improve sound quality in some other way apart from offering equalizers?

jackpollard

Aug 17, 2013
If you are using equalizers from within music players like Poweramp, does viper4android improve sound quality in some other way apart from offering equalizers?

You can run it in compatibility mode and it will enhance your built in eq's.

I love the .irs files and what they do to the sound. I love tube amps and I play with the different .irs tube files and you can really notice a difference. I made sure to save all the .irs files I found and I'm glad I did.

Reactions: giannis_ch

giannis_ch

Nov 15, 2010
Athens
You can run it in compatibility mode and it will enhance your built in eq's.

I love the .irs files and what they do to the sound. I love tube amps and I play with the different .irs tube files and you can really notice a difference. I made sure to save all the .irs files I found and I'm glad I did.

Just installed v4a and started playing with it. Any recommendation about .irs files or are they strictly related to headphones?

jackpollard

Aug 17, 2013
Just installed v4a and started playing with it. Any recommendation about .irs files or are they strictly related to headphones?

The convolver works with any of the modes as long as its turned on. Go to the "official" v4a site --> http://vipersaudio.com/blog/ and download the couple of files they have and try them out. I think the v4a developer has basically stopped all links to any .irs files and is "centralizing" them. But you know the deal, whats on the web stays on the web, so seek and ye shall find.

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
Has anyone gotten it to run with Rocket Player? It isn't working at all with it over headphone or speaker. Driver status processing=NO. I've tried all the workarounds and none of them have helped.

wund3rground

Sep 13, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Am I just high or what? I can't find a flippin download link?

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Never mind, I'm retarded.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
- I'm going to flash OmniROM (again) and I'll only use DSP app for a few days and see what happens.

IRS options are still there, you just have to set it to Expert instead of Beginner

Reactions: Primokorn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Attached are the latest updated zips.

FAQ:

How do I install Viper???

Go into recovery and flash the zip. It will take care of most of the steps for you. Upon your first launch of the app you will be prompted to install drivers of your choosing then be prompted for a reboot. If coming from a previous version of Viper or you have any other sound mods I fully recommend uninstalling them. Then go into recovery and flash your ROM and the zip in one session.

Well what drivers do I use???

I recommend Super Audio quality. It uses a higher sampling rate which can be thought of as like a megapixel on a camera. More sample information equals cleaner signal but your files must be equal to or better than the driver sampling rate. I find the highs to be much cleaner and have less distortion with Super Audio. While the prompt warns about extra battery usage, testing with Better Battery Stats for me has shown the effect on battery life to be minimal. You will get higher drain using the Convolver then by choosing a higher quality driver.

Well what is Convolver and how do I use it???

Convolver will play a real time sample of an effect or eq as the sound is being processed. You can get really awesome effects from some of the irs samples but they come at a high price of battery usage. Using this setting doubled battery life usage for me on even conservative kernel governors. To enable you must go to the menu and enable Moderate or Expert UI, then press the button to enable Convolver and press Impulse Response, this will create a ViPER4Android folder on your SD card and within that you will have a folder named Kernel. This is where you will put your Irs Samples you download. You can find links to Irs packs here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2216193 PS......I've found that not all samples in all the packs work correctly and some will give no sound change.

HAAAAALP! This stoopit mod is killing my battery!!!

No it isn't. Unless you're using Convolver after being warned about it's effect on battery you should see little to no difference in daily use of getting notifications, texts, etc. I get about 6% an hour battery usage during music playback while streaming over bluetooth. If you're using a wired headset it should be less than that. I have never not even once seen Viper pop up on my stock battery stats and have only seen it as <1% on GSam after a full charge. Compatibility mode can be used as a last resort and final option if you're determined to call me a liar. Steps to enable it are outlined below.

This hack is ballz...I know wantz no mo???

To completely remove the changes done by my install zips you will need to do a manual wipe of system/davlik/cache to get rid of everything and then reflash ROM/Gapps/Mods. Reflashing your ROM without a manual wipe will not remove anything do to the addon.d scripts added so the zip will survive dirty flashes.

Why put the app in priv-app???

This will help to insure that Viper doesn't get killed by Android OOM to keep the sweet sound pumping into your ears!!!

My Viper isn't working!!!

Did you install by flashing the zip??? Is your apk in priv-app??? Do you have any other conflicting sound mods or eq's??? Is Viper enabled and you have installed the drivers and done a reboot??? Have you put SELinux into permissive mode???

Some people have luck adding or changing these lines in their build.prop:
    ##Viper4android

lpa.decode=false
    tunnel.decode=false
    lpa.use-stagefright=false
    lpa.releaselock=false

Also some music players work better by switching to Compatibility Mode. To do that go to menu, click FX Compatible Mode, then click Compatible. Doing this should cause Viper to only modify media players instead of changing sound system wide. Some users say this helps with battery usage as Viper will only process sound when you want it to.

Still stuck? There is tons of helpful information in this thread that you can find by helping yourself click that "Search this thread" function towards the top right of your screen. Still stuck after that....ask away!

Wanted to say thanks to @rootSU and @FlyinGrub for lending a helping hand, @FuMMoD for posting updates to the Viper apk and libs, @davwman for getting this thread started, @Hid3rs for the Material Design framework, @chdloc for the awesome Stereo mix, @Spasticdroid for the audio_policy editing script, @Alex240188 for the material design Viper 2.3.4.0 apk, @//.dax for the sweet new icon. And of course the awesome Viper team for creating Viper. I refuse to run my phone without it!

Here is a link to the official thread for more information: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

!!!!!!LOLLIPOP USERS!!!!!!!! You NO LONGER need a full permissive kernel to get Viper working as long as you use SuperSU. To test your kernel open Google Play Music and play a track. If you get a "couldn't play stream requested message" you need to download this app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524485] and set it to PERMISSIVE mode, find yourself a full permisssive kernel, or switch to SuperSU. Enjoy!!!!

P.S.:
    LolliViPER.zip will install Viper to priv-app and remove Audio FX, DSP Manager, and Music FX. It will also edit the audio_policy.conf for added app compatibility and add a script to allow Viper to work with SELinux enforcing with SuperSU. ***BONUS for ROMs with addon.d support-the zip will place a script into addon.d that will automatically backup and restore everything changed by the zip on dirty flashes eliminating the need to flash every update so long as you do not do a manual system wipe.***

LolliViPERsurROUND.zip will install Viper to priv-app and remove Audio FX, DSP Manager, and Music FX, and change the mixer path to enable the earpiece as a second speaker for stereo sound. It will also edit the audio_policy.conf for added app compatibility and add a script to allow Viper to work with SELinux enforcing with SuperSU. ***BONUS for ROMs with addon.d support-the zip will place a script into addon.d that will automatically backup and restore everything changed by the zip on dirty flashes eliminating the need to flash every update so long as you do not do a manual system wipe.*** !!!!!THIS MAY CAUSE BOOTLOOPS ON DEVICES OTHER THAN THE NEXUS 5!!!!!

5.1.x stock ROM users may need to remove system apps for the install to work. Google filled the system partition to the brim with little to no room left for installation.

The apk in all these zips use the Material Design Framework and may not install on devices lower than 5.0.
    New ZIPs!!!

Well after going stock unrooted for 2 weeks I could not take the sound anymore. Especially in my SUV as no eq could get rid of distortion on cymbals on my stereo. Back to modding I come!!! I read through a bunch of pages and saw that people were reporting success with the zips that @mixtapes08 were providing. So I went ahead and merged all of his posted zips and my own zip into one. Also many ROMs are now incorporating AudioFX into their builds so lets get rid of that!

This new test zip will install viper to priv-app, install extra libs and add lines to the build.prop to try to help with compatability, and remove AudioFX, MusicFX, and DSP Manager.

BONUS!!! I'm also including a test zip that will make all of the above changes as well as use the surround sound mod mixer paths to play audio from the earpiece to create an awesome audio experience from the device. Use this one at your own risk as it boosts volume coming from the device considerably. P.S. some ringtones/alarms/notification sounds will distort as the sound source files are of a low quality.

EXTRA!!!! I'm also including a third zip that will install apk/libs/build.prop line, delete other eq's, and add stereo sound to the earpiece speaker. Use this video to test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bv42kHmqA I personally prefer this one over the surround zip.

Test/report and let me know how well these work for you guys.

DISCLAIMER: Do not flash the stereo or surround zip on anything other than a Nexus 5 as you will more than likely wind up in a bootloop. Mixer paths are device specific.

Cheers!!!
    Here's a zip with the updated app (2.3.4.0). This zip contains the libs, build.prop tweaks, etc.

I included @//.dax 's icon and made some changes so it will use Material Design like in the previous version.
    I also tweaked the equalizers color, so it looks less bad. I could have removed the grid lines so it would look cleaner, but those lines are actually helpful, so I left them there.

Note: this new version tends to hang when you try to install the drivers. Don't freak out if it freezes, you should just keep trying (force close the app if needed), they will install eventually. I tested this zip on a clean ROM install, so I can confirm it works.
    How did you intall it?
    And is your spotify premium?

uninstall first your current viper4android and Just flash this 3 zips and download selinux mode changer and change it to permissive.
    no need to disable nuplayer and switching to compatibility mode.

Edit. If you have any equalizer installed on your system like musicfx.apk, dspmanager.apk might as well delete it also.

This method works on every music application I used. Eg. Spotify premium, google play music, viral pro, tunein radio pro etc.
    Test Zips!!!

Here are two test zips. These zips will do everything outlined in the OP as well as allow users to run Viper without having to change SELinux to permissive so long as you are using SuperSU and NOT Superuser.

:highfive:Give me a heads up on how these work for you guys. :highfive: