[SOLVED] here is copy of an adfree hosts file, and where to put it

Search This thread

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
i tried to get adfree to work using the supersonic rooted ROM, and managed to allow it root access, but it barfed every other time i try to run it, and when it doesn't barf, it forces a system reboot.

after doing some searching, i found a solution. at least for those of us with rooted evos. not sure if you other folks could push it or not, since it writes to /system

Last edited:

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
okay, for anyone that also hates ads, i found this thread that has a hosts file.

i did have a copy of that file. but i updated in the reply below (thanks phiqtion for the original!)

the way i got it to work was DL the hosts file, unzipped it, put it in my sdk/tools folder, then

adb reboot recovery

*i ran maejrep/flipz/pauls recovery bat file*

adb shell
# mount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# exit
adb push hosts /system/etc
adb reboot

and voila! no more ads :)

of course, if anyone has a functioning copy of adfree and a more up to date hosts file, please post!

*note - i am running toastcfm's rooted pc36img ROM now, because the supersonic kept throwing up. but, this probably will not work if you are not rooted.

Last edited:

colorado_al

Aug 4, 2008
Here's one for you:
When I use an ad free hosts file on my EVO and I connect to the internet on my PC via the EVO and Android WiFi tether, it blocks ads on my PC browser as well!
Sweet!

jolugo

Jun 17, 2010
you can put it in your computer and will block them even if you dont connect through your evo.

herbthehammer

May 16, 2010
Hmm. I've been doing it with root explorer. Copy the hosts file to /system/etc and over write existing file, then reboot. I think some off the new progs are pushing ads to us in other ways that the hosts file doesn't come into play with.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

kinkade

Aug 19, 2009
brisbane
Hmm. I've been doing it with root explorer. Copy the hosts file to /system/etc and over write existing file, then reboot. I think some off the new progs are pushing ads to us in other ways that the hosts file doesn't come into play with.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

when i try to do this it says there is not enough available memory. any thoughts?

Death-M0nk

Aug 28, 2010
Canton
I just used the hosts file from:

someonewhocares.org/hosts/​

He updates is very regularly, I haven't seen an add get by yet.

plainjane

Jan 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Anybody knoe of an updated hosts file

Does adfree work now or do I have it installed for nothing? I used root explorer to replace the hosts file.

Ad-free just installs the hosts file, so if you're doing it manually then the app is pointless. Gimme a sec & I'll upload an updated hosts for you.

Edit: here you go. This is from the app AdAway, it's better than Adfree imo.
http://db.tt/DKzwDtXl

Last edited:
Reactions: dsa88 and pittnuma

dsa88

Jun 10, 2010
if i'd like to add adfree hosts sources, which urls i need to use?
thanks, great app!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, its has been awhile since the last update, here's the latest updated hosts file I just work on today...
    Anybody knoe of an updated hosts file

Does adfree work now or do I have it installed for nothing? I used root explorer to replace the hosts file.

Ad-free just installs the hosts file, so if you're doing it manually then the app is pointless. Gimme a sec & I'll upload an updated hosts for you.

Edit: here you go. This is from the app AdAway, it's better than Adfree imo.
    http://db.tt/DKzwDtXl