Cricket GB, ICS, JB, KK Fix for Samsung Epic 4G (MMS Working)

Search This thread

beltsnspoons

Jul 28, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Looks like I'm gonna be flashing my girl n i's epics to cricket, glad to see this is available as we are both cm users. Any plans on making a cricket compatible cm10?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

gatekpr

Jan 8, 2007
Houston
Cricket working on Sprint Epic 4G

Looks like I'm gonna be flashing my girl n i's epics to cricket, glad to see this is available as we are both cm users. Any plans on making a cricket compatible cm10?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Howdy!

Did were you able to flash it to work on Cricket? I have a Sprint Epic 4G that I've installed CM9 and I am so confused on how to make it work on Cricket. Help? Thank you so much!

-Jesse

HiddenKnight

Howdy!

Did were you able to flash it to work on Cricket? I have a Sprint Epic 4G that I've installed CM9 and I am so confused on how to make it work on Cricket. Help? Thank you so much!

-Jesse

You have flash your phone to cricket and this rom is to help make everything work

I flash phones it you pm me I'll help you

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

cornaljoe

Sorry for the haitus guys. I've been pretty tied up for the past month but I have been working on a universal fix. With this release you will be able to flash it over any ICS/JB based ROM(including nightlies). Things are looking good and I plan on releasing it soon after a little more testing and tweaks.

Reactions: terinfire

gatekpr

Jan 8, 2007
Houston
*raises hand*

Sorry for the haitus guys. I've been pretty tied up for the past month but I have been working on a universal fix. With this release you will be able to flash it over any ICS/JB based ROM(including nightlies). Things are looking good and I plan on releasing it soon after a little more testing and tweaks.

I'm slightly confused. Are you saying that if I have an Epic 4G that is from Sprint with CM9 (the full release). I can flash the UPDATE 3 zip in the first post and it will work on Cricket after I update my APNs?

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Not quite.

You need to do a full flash to Cricket first -- which can only be done with certain tools.

However, once flashed to Cricket, stuff like MMS, etc, don't work. By applying this patch, it will allow these features to work.

By the way, Joe, thank you for the update!

Reactions: cornaljoe

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Did you update your APN's in the config? That is absolutely mandatory for this to work. In addition, I also remove the other APN that I don't use (I use the $55/month plan).

Also, not entirely sure this patch will work perfectly for a Galaxy S3...

ramserver

May 12, 2010
Did you update your APN's in the config? That is absolutely mandatory for this to work. In addition, I also remove the other APN that I don't use (I use the $55/month plan).

Also, not entirely sure this patch will work perfectly for a Galaxy S3...

It didn't change the apns in the phone. That's was the issue I was having plus I'm not sure if anything else updated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
The APN's are one of the big important changes that are necessary to port to Cricket.

My understanding is that APN's + MMS.apk are the big trick to getting MMS working.

cornaljoe

It didn't change the apns in the phone. That's was the issue I was having plus I'm not sure if anything else updated.

This was built for and tested on the Epic. Theoretically it should work on other phones that use the same setup as the Epic such as the NS4G. As for the GS3 I would assume it has a different setup.

Last edited:

cornaljoe

Could one be made for the galaxy s3 spr/vzw

I'll look into it and post a test build soon.

so i have a e4gt and i dont get the step and or the downloads that are needed to do this i just need mms to work.

e4gt
cm10
cricket $55 plan
please fill me in a bit better if you would im truly in need off mms for my job

thank you much

You are all setup to try this fix. I'll update the instructions to be more specific. If it doesn't work the test build I'll be preparing should. Once it's posted just try it and see if it works.

certifiednoob93

Aug 11, 2012
Shouldn't the mms be working with the new ICS and JB. I am not on a sprint plan but everything works. Just flash the builds and all should be good... if I'm wrong please correct me...

treat ur girl like how u treat ur epic

cornaljoe

Shouldn't the mms be working with the new ICS and JB. I am not on a sprint plan but everything works. Just flash the builds and all should be good... if I'm wrong please correct me...

That's correct. Some users may not be as familiar with flashing as others. The instructions have been updated to be more informative.

Edit: Are you speaking of them without the fix? From my test of CM9 Stable, and CM10 Kang 8/26 MMS didn't work. Both were flashed with a clean install before trying. After changing the APN manually MMS would send fine (amazing actually as it would be sent almost instantly) but receiving didn't work. After I applied the fix however it worked.

Last edited:

certifiednoob93

Aug 11, 2012
That's correct. Some users may not be as familiar with flashing as others. The instructions have been updated to be more informative.

Edit: Are you speaking of them without the fix? From my test of CM9 Stable, and CM10 Kang 8/26 MMS didn't work. Both were flashed with a clean install before trying. After changing the APN manually MMS would send fine (amazing actually as it would be sent almost instantly) but receiving didn't work. After I applied the fix however it worked.

Just dirty flashed. Keeps it the same for some reason

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    screenshot2012051120542.png
    screenshot2012051121093.png

Code:
    [B][U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 9[/COLOR][/U]:[/B] Download attached below.
    - Fixed detect script
    - Fixed KK APN config

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 8[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Added support for KK and JB 4.3

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 7[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Added support for GB
    - Removed JB and ICS specific battery tweaks

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 6[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Fixed detect script
    - Updated Mms.apks with a dark theme

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 5[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Added support for JB 4.2
    - Updated to detect Android version and flash proper Mms.apk
    - Updated to remove MTD requirement
    - Updated to support split SMS messages
    - Renamed APNs to reflect Cricket plan changes

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 4[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated instructions

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 3[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated for ICS and JB ROMs
    - Added tweaks for better battery life

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE 2[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated to CM9 RC1

[U][COLOR="Red"]UPDATE[/COLOR][/U]:
    - Updated to CM9 Beta4
    - Added $55 plan option to APNs

After months on Cricket with sketchy MMS I've finally gotten it to work with tons of research and trail and error. This fix will detect the version of Android and flash the appropriate files. Thanks goes to the great CM devs and other users/devs of XDA including jpond83, mucus_android, brooksyx, UBER, and tommytomatoe for making this possible.

NOTE:
    - Your phone must already be flashed to Cricket service. Refer to this great guide by terinfire here: The Samsung Epic 4G Flashing Guide
    - Your phone must be rooted and have a GB, ICS, JB, or KK ROM (ie CM7, CM9, CM10, MIUIv4, AOKP, PA1.5/1.99, etc) released on the Epic. Once you setup your preferred ROM you should be set to flash this fix.
    - This fix was designed for the Epic 4G but may work on other phones. Flash at your own risk.

Instructions:

:Before Flashing:
    1. Download fix included in the attachment below.
    2. Make a backup of your current setup with recovery in case something goes wrong.
    3. Follow the directions to setup your preferred ROM. Refer to your ROMs thread for questions. Make sure your ROM is flashed and working before continuing.
    -This includes flashing other mods (ie NS4G patch, etc.)

:Setting up the APN for MMS:
    Cricket has two types of plans: $45 Value and $50+ Smart plans. The $45 plan requires different APN settings than the Smartphone plans so make sure you know which plan you're on. Each APN is labeled to prevent confusion. I recommended using steps 1-3 for the best results. If you are not comfortable with editing the xml manually you can skip to step 4.

1. Using a PC add your number to the Cricket APN by opening the fix attached below and going to optional/(?)flash/system/etc/apns-config.xml.
    -(?) gb: for GB ij: for ICS, JB kk: for KK
    -You can do this using a file manager such as Winzip or 7zip. I recommend 7zip.
    2. Remove this file from the zip and edit the "user" section "@mycricket.com" to "XXXXXXX@mycricket.com" where the X's are your number. You can do this by dragging it out into your desktop or right clicking it and choose "Extract". Use a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad to edit the file. I recommend Wordpad.
    - Ex. 555-555-5555 will be "5555555555@mycricket.com".
    3. Overwrite the modified file with the one in the zip by dragging it back into the zip and then save the changes.

4. Copy the fix to your sdcard and flash using recovery and reboot.
    5. Once your ROM boots. Confirm the flash worked by checking the Lockscreen or Pulldown Bar. If the Carrier says "Cricket" the flash was successful.
    6. Goto Apps->Voice Dailer. Using the Voice Dailer and say "Open A-P-N". Choose "Open APN".
    - Note to users of JB 4.2: The voicer dailer is broken at the moment. To access the APN settings menu add a shortcut to your homescreen at Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->APNs. This option is not included in the stock Trebuchet launcher so download one from the app store. I recommend Apex.
    7. There should be two options: 45Value and 50Smart. There will be a small selection circle on the right side of each APN. Click this circle to set your APN depending on your plan. Once the circle highlights the APN is set.
    8. Open the APNs settings by clicking on the left side of the APN.
    9. Scroll down to "Username". If you didn't follow steps 1-3 change "@mycricket.com" to "XXXXXXX@mycricket.com" where the X's are your number.
    - Ex. 555-555-5555 will be "5555555555@mycricket.com".
    10. Click menu then hit save. Once its saved reboot the phone and everything should be set.

You can test MMS by opening up the messaging app and sending yourself a MMS. Sending may take awhile so don't worry if it's not working right away. Once it's sent you should receive a notification to download the MMS. If you are sure it's not working (freezes at Sending... or never downloads the MMS message) reflash the fix and then try again. Don't forget to check the APN is set properly (steps 6-10).

:Note to daily flashers:
    If you like to try out new ROMs (ie Nightlies, updates, etc.) I recommend following steps 1-3 as you will only have to do this once. Once you have MMS working if you want to update or change ROMs all you have to do is flash the new ROM then the fix. You shouldn't have to change anything in the APN menu as Android will save it for you. The settings will be passed to the new ROM as long as your old data is compatible.
    OP updated. Fixed KK apns and also some issues with detection of JB ROMS
    1-11-13 Switched to ParandoidAndroid 2.57 CM10 with FI25 modem and applied this fix as well the "Alternate carrier data fix" and everything is working great. Satisfied with the rom. Also thanks OP for the update on the Touchwiz Roms, I wish I knew that before hand and THANKS for this fix.
    Is there anyway to get MMS working on the Touchwiz based Rom's?

This is on a SPH-D710 E4GT, FYI for others

I actually may be able to get a working SecMms.apk. With your help I can add support for Touchwiz.
    Thank you for updating this!

My only issue is that I can't see any APNs after flashing this. All files seem to have successfully flashed and the build.prop was modified to cricket setting, but I have a black screen where I would normally select/modify APNs. I tried creating a new one but it didn't stick after reboot.

Thanks for any help!

Epic 4G Touch on 4.4.2 KitKat

Trolling from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I have a fix ready for this and will release it soon. KK updated the xml for apns. If you dont want to wait you can change it yourself. Just open the xml as stated in the OP for changing the config file (steps 1-3). Change "<apns version="7"> to <apns version="8">.
    @cornaljoe Do you mind updating this for 4.3 + . I use this on a lot of my customers phones as well as mine so 3g at least shows when I test builds even though my service is off. Btw how's it been ? Long time no see.

For android 4.3
    Go to tinyurl.com/cricketpics on phone & download app, use for cricket mms...

Sent from Sprint Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk