Unable To Turn on Wi-Fi

Search This thread

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011
I'm having an issue with wi-fi. I'm running Andromadus Audacity 2. Yesterday I ran into an issue where my phone was randomly rebooting. I decided to reflash the rom and when I did so I could no longer connect to Wi-Fi. I can turn Wi-Fi on but it will immediately turn back off. In settings it will only say turning wi-fi on and hang up there.

I don't think that the issue is the router since my wife's G2 and other devices we have in the house still work fine on wi-fi.

Also it's not the rom because I have superwiped and reinstalled, then tried installing cm7, and ilwt. The issue persists on each rom. I have superwiped each time before installing.

I am really at a loss for what to do, I didn't change any settings on the phone and regardless, I don't know what I could have changed that would have carried over through flashing a new rom. I would appreciate any ideas on what to do.

ETA - I have changed the radio and the kernel and still no luck.

Last edited:

A_Elizondo

Apr 8, 2012
Sorry accidental send, check the /etc/wifi/wpa*.conf permissions and ownership. This happened to me when that file was off.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011
Sorry accidental send, check the /etc/wifi/wpa*.conf permissions and ownership. This happened to me when that file was off.

When you say off do you mean it was absent?

When I got to /etc/wifi/ there is a file named wpa_supplicant.conf, it is the only file in the folder

the text file says:

update_config=1
ctrl_interface=wlan0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

A_Elizondo

Apr 8, 2012

When I got to /etc/wifi/ there is a file named wpa_supplicant.conf, it is the only file in the folder

the text file says:

update_config=1
ctrl_interface=wlan0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

Sorry my English is not as great as I wished it would be, this is what happens when I try to use "slang". When I say off I mean not correct. That is the correct file "wpa_supplicant.conf"

/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf --> needs rw-r--r--
/system/bin/wpa_supplicant --> needs rwxr-xr-x

I just checked my files and they are both owned by root and all works well so I guess its not an issue that wifi does not own them.

Reactions: mbrentrowe

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011
Sorry my English is not as great as I wished it would be, this is what happens when I try to use "slang". When I say off I mean not correct. That is the correct file "wpa_supplicant.conf"

I just checked my files and they are both owned by root and all works well so I guess its not an issue that wifi does not own them.

Sorry I just misunderstood.

I checked both files and they had the same permissions that you wrote out.

A_Elizondo

Apr 8, 2012

Not sure if this helps but this is what's under my /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=eth0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

Notice my ctrl_interface=eth0 (thats a zero) I'd test that out see if it fixes it, if not then I'd download another rom and extract both /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf and /system/bin/wpa_supplicant files from it and replace yours. Again verify permissions are correct.

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011
Not sure if this helps but this is what's under my /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=eth0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

Notice my ctrl_interface=eth0 (thats a zero) I'd test that out see if it fixes it, if not then I'd download another rom and extract both /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf and /system/bin/wpa_supplicant files from it and replace yours. Again verify permissions are correct.

Hey I'm on lunch now, in that file it says for ctrl_interface=wlan0. I am using es file explorer, it won't let me change it there but I think I read somewhere I can create a text file saying what I want it to and place it in the folder. Not sure if that will work.

As for the other roms, wifi doesn't work on any rom that I use.

A_Elizondo

Apr 8, 2012
Hey I'm on lunch now, in that file it says for ctrl_interface=wlan0. I am using es file explorer, it won't let me change it there but I think I read somewhere I can create a text file saying what I want it to and place it in the folder. Not sure if that will work.

You can replace the file using a terminal emulator here are the steps

1. Open terminal emulator and log in as super user by typing the following
    su
  2. Make the System Partition have read/write access by typing the following
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
  3. Now you can modify the file using es file explorer
  4. When complete make the system partition read only by doing the following
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

You can also copy and replace the file using adb, not sure how familiar you are with that but the above should work.

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011

su

You can also copy and replace the file using adb, not sure how familiar you are with that but the above should work.

Hmmm, I went into terminal emulator and did just as you said. This is what it says after I pasted in what you wrote to give me read/write access:

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

After I did that it still won't let me change that file.

A_Elizondo

Apr 8, 2012
Sorry you are correct that command only works in adb do this instead of the above command

mount -o remount,rw /system

then when you are done do this instead of the other read only command

mount -o remount,r /system

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011
Sorry you are correct that command only works in adb do this instead of the above command

mount -o remount,rw /system

then when you are done do this instead of the other read only command

mount -o remount,r /system

Thanks I will try it, but I'm becoming more convinced this is a hardware issue.

I was on the phone today and the phone froze and I had to pull the battery. When I restarted the phone Wi-Fi was working for the first time in a week. While it was working I checked that file and it said the same exact thing. The phone then froze again (I think it was my fault because in the excitement of having Wi-Fi again I tried to update all of my apps and other things I can't do on the crappy 2g data I have at home) when I turned it back on Wi-Fi was no longer working.

So now I'm thinking that this has to be hardware. I will give your method a try.

A_Elizondo

Apr 8, 2012
Yea I think you are correct especially since you tried different roms. If you have warranty just unroot it and return it else keep posting here about the status and a will find a work around eventually

mbrentrowe

Jul 17, 2011
Well I finally switched back to ilwt and my wifi isn't working all of the time but it has worked for a few hours each day since I flashed it. Whereas on andromadus it didn't work at all for two months. Still haven't figured out what happened but at least I get to keep my G2. Although I'll probably move on the first time they put the note on sale later this year. Thanks aeliizondo for trying to help me!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

the text file says:

update_config=1
    ctrl_interface=wlan0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1
    fast_reauth=1

update_config=1
    ctrl_interface=eth0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1
    fast_reauth=1

su