Dropped Note 3

Search This thread

rkersh409

Aug 5, 2013
My wife said she dropped her week old Note 3 in the parking lot. She said when it hit the ground the battery came out and got run over by a car. The outer glass is still good and is not broken. The inner LCD/digitizer is completely destroyed. Also the back plate where the battery goes is cracked across the phone and the battery is shot. When you look down the side of the phone it looks bent ever so slightly. All I can get out of her is “I just dropped it”. Does not sound like it to me. When I put in my battery it will power on and I can hear the sounds like it powered up. But then it shuts back down. No display at all will show up.

Does it sound like there is more than just the LCD/Digitizer broken? I called Samsung repair and they said it would be $216 for the display but did not know if anything else would need replacing. Should I send it to Samsung or is it a total loss?

C13v3r0n3

May 13, 2013
Its best to have the digitizer and LCD replaced, did you not get insurance?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

rkersh409

Aug 5, 2013
Its best to have the digitizer and LCD replaced, did you not get insurance?

I hope for $216 it's for both LCD and digitizer. Yeah I got insurance through squartrade. Just don't know if Samsung will say it's BER. Or just send it to squaretrade for repair. Or take it locally in Houston. Would like to have original Samsung parts back in it though.

nlatifolia

Jan 6, 2014
My wife said she dropped her week old Note 3 in the parking lot. She said when it hit the ground the battery came out and got run over by a car. The outer glass is still good and is not broken. The inner LCD/digitizer is completely destroyed. Also the back plate where the battery goes is cracked across the phone and the battery is shot. When you look down the side of the phone it looks bent ever so slightly. All I can get out of her is “I just dropped it”. Does not sound like it to me. When I put in my battery it will power on and I can hear the sounds like it powered up. But then it shuts back down. No display at all will show up.

Does it sound like there is more than just the LCD/Digitizer broken? I called Samsung repair and they said it would be $216 for the display but did not know if anything else would need replacing. Should I send it to Samsung or is it a total loss?

Can u post pics of it sounds awesome experience. I think it will need more than just digitizer replacement if I were u I would consider it as total loss and put it in house as museum so everyone in the house will learn from it's experience.

Btw, what kind of protection that it had on accident ? no case at all ?

Ouch! Story does sound a bit unlikely, indeed... You could try to claim it on contents insurance... just tell them it happened on your own property.

Btw, what kind of protection that it had on accident ? no case at all ?

Out of curiosity, is there even a case that protects against being driven over by a car? :confused: And if so, where can I buy it?

rkersh409

Aug 5, 2013
He said, the outer glass is in good condition but the iniside is broken, just curious how did that happened. :D

I would like to know how that happened as well. If you look at the phone it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with it. If you look at the display at an angle you can see a spider web of black lines where the LCD/digitizer is smashed.

It didn't have any protection since it was only a week old. The slim armor and Nillkin screen protector was on order and was in transit. Just a little too late.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Mate, go with Squaretrade... Whats the point of having insurance then paying out a buttload of cash to fix it?
Would you, if you had an accident, go to your cars manufacturer to fix it and pay through your teeth or go through your car insurer?

rkersh409

Aug 5, 2013
Mate, go with Squaretrade... Whats the point of having insurance then paying out a buttload of cash to fix it?
Would you, if you had an accident, go to your cars manufacturer to fix it and pay through your teeth or go through your car insurer?

I am going to go with my insurance. I have a choice to have it repaired locally or send it to Samsung and get reimbursed. Or send it to squaretrade repair center and not pay. Just hear a lot of negative about there repair center. Has anyone used Samsung repair center?

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Out of curiosity, is there even a case that protects against being driven over by a car? :confused: And if so, where can I buy it?

Seen successful drive over tests for Griffon survivor and otterbox armor on YouTube. Was with the puny iPhone though and you can't get a genuine griffon for the note 3.

Depends on the speed of the car too I guess since force = mass x speed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Seen successful drive over tests for Griffon survivor and otterbox armor on YouTube. Was with the puny iPhone though and you can't get a genuine griffon for the note 3.

Bother! I would've really liked such a case!

Considering there are harddrives you can run a tank over without causing damage, it should theoretically be possible to make such a case for a smartphone. While we're at it, bulletproof and waterproof would be nice too. :cool: :D

G

GuestX0057

Bother! I would've really liked such a case!

Considering there are harddrives you can run a tank over without causing damage, it should theoretically be possible to make such a case for a smartphone. While we're at it, bulletproof and waterproof would be nice too. :cool: :D
Lol, you plan to use your smartphone as a shield when 50cent comes gunning you at a narrow street? :D

scottmo

Feb 19, 2008
Glasgow

Not to get too geeky but F(orce) = M(ass) x A(cceleration), not speed.
Also, the force horizontally (the main one influenced by acceleration) would only have a negligable effect on the vertical force exerted on the phone.

:cyclops:

Reactions: George D

FeralFire

Jan 18, 2012
Also, the force horizontally (the main one influenced by acceleration) would only have a negligable effect on the vertical force exerted on the phone.

You are correct.
But another thing to consider is that cars are made to exert greater downward forces at higher speeds to get better grip.
Also consider that the mass of an object increases as its velocity increases.
Thus, a faster car would still exert more downward pressure on the phone.

Couldn't resist.
:p

Ouch! Story does sound a bit unlikely, indeed... You could try to claim it on contents insurance... just tell them it happened on your own property.

If anything can Otter Box !

Photon Q &/or Note 3 on ting.com

desdesdes

Oct 16, 2007
Sorry about you wife's phone. I hope you can get it repaired at not too dear a price.
Sounds like something that would happen to me, to be quite honest :rolleyes: I am a dropper.

My daughter had her iPhone hit by two cars in an Otterbox defender. The case was a loss, the phone was fine. We are all Otterbox cases all the time for just that reason.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not to get too geeky but F(orce) = M(ass) x A(cceleration), not speed.

Yes she will be getting the otterbox defender. Don't care how big it is. I will tie it around her neck if I have to.