Class and micro sdhc cards?

Search This thread

Vexorg

Dec 16, 2010
How much does class speed matter for a smart phone. I was under the impression that it's mainly important for video capture and photography (when using a digital camera).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using XDA App

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
There is no requirement or restriction on this. Anything microSD or microSD HC will work. Recommended is to get class 2 or better card in order to achieve better speeds when copying stuff from/to phone via USB in disk drive mode.
However under 'anything' do not assume you should go and get the cheapest ever card you find on eBay or something - if card isn't functioning good, phone may experience wired behaviour like resets/etc. Get something recognizable (SanDisk, Kingston, etc).

Some video camcorders require certain class+ card in order to keep up with HD recording bandwidth required. Since D2G can't even shoot 720p, even slowest card will be ok. Not that 720p would have required more...

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
There is no requirement or restriction on this....

Leo are you certain it will take ClassIII memory? It makes sense just not sure the hardware did that.

to the OQ - If they come out with a newer class there might be a compatibility issue with the phone but XDA folks usually finds away to support them soon after via a patch.

Stay away from old legacy (Not Classed) SD cards. Go for the fastest and largest you can afford.
Android rely's much more on the SDcard than WM ever did.

rusty815

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
the phone should support up to class 6 (or whatever is the highest class) just fine, class just means the speed of the card, the d2g supports any class micro sd card up to 32gb in size, so as long as you dont exceed that, youre fine. the speed of the card could be a factor for programs that cache to your sd card, youd want a faster sd card if you plan to have programs do that.

-Gilgamesh-

Feb 13, 2011
I am pretty sure the class is backwards compatible. Kinda like USB 2.0 and 1.0. Its going to use the fastest the device is capable of using. I think it's more the size limits (In the case of android, 32gb) that matters. Granted, I could be mistaken.