Tethering & Mobile Hotspot Temp Fix for ICS

Search This thread

waxlabo

Jan 3, 2011
Ok guys, here is a temp fix for you to continue using the mobile hotspot. But I am not sure how long it will be able to work until it gets blocked.

Go to Settings
Mobile network
Access Point Names

New APN
set the name
set the APN to: epc.tmobile.com
save

after you save, select the new APN you created instead of T-Mobile data.

waxlabo

Jan 3, 2011
ziddey just create the new APN with epc.tmobile.com and save it as is without any additional changes.

waxlabo

Jan 3, 2011
try it and see if it works. i'm not sure why it does but it does. you won't get the t-mobile launch page asking you to pay. :p

Reactions: jspina

jtress

Dec 28, 2011
Tampa
try it and see if it works. i'm not sure why it does but it does. you won't get the t-mobile launch page asking you to pay. :p

Actually, this does work. The only difference I can see between the APN that was on the phone and the new APN created is the following:

Original APN
APN Type: default,supl,admin,hipri

Newly created APN
APN type: Not Set

I have no clue what this means, but that is the only difference I see and the newly created APN does in fact work and allow me to tether over 4G.

Also, I had purchased EasyTether a while back to use on Sprint with my HTC Hero (before I learned to root a phone), and easytether also works using a USB cable.

Thanks to the OP for finding this!!

Last edited:
Reactions: waxlabo

jtress

Dec 28, 2011
Tampa
Found a possible issue with this fix. When I have the newly created APN enabled, I cannot send an mms. When I select the original APN and try and resend the mms, the mms goes through.

Anyone have suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA

waxlabo

Jan 3, 2011
thanks for pointing that out jtress, will try to look into it.

edit: jtress i was testing it out and it does work with the current settings. i'm not sure why you are having problems with mms. does anyone else have this issue with the mms not going through?

Last edited:

arjuna_

Aug 6, 2010
Does this still work? I've tried it and it didn't work for me when trying to go to amazon.com. I've also tried deleting the default apn and removing the apn type. I've even tried using wap.voicestream.com as the apn. So far nothing works.

jtress

Dec 28, 2011
Tampa
My issue with the APN and not being able to send MMS, may have something to do with me being on Tmobile prepaid plan.

I can live with it this way. I very rarely use the tethering. So, if all I have to do is go in to the settings and switch the APN for the few minutes I use the tethering, I can live with that :)

tamale

Aug 30, 2010
tethering workarounds

Regarding the new tethering block, there are a few other workarounds that worked for me.

1) Change your user agent string to something mobile on your browser
2) Browse through an encrypted proxy (work VPN works great for me)
3) Use the internet for things other than HTTP and you'll be fine. (HTTPS works fine)

hoang83

Jun 29, 2010
Confirm that it worked for me. I entered the new APN and restarted the phone and now it works like it did before. Thanks!

Reactions: arjuna_

arjuna_

Aug 6, 2010
Wow I feel both dumb and extremely happy all at the same time but I got it to work! I never restarted the phone before so I guess my phone never properly set up the APN.

The way I got it to work:

1. Selected Default T-Mobile Data APN
2. Delete all of the information from the APN type
3. Reboot Phone

Thanks for reminding me to do the simple things!

dupsatou

Aug 19, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Looks like the fun is over...

I had been using Wifi tethering for root users and it seemed to allow me to use it just fine. All of a sudden this morning it stopped working and I got a push notification to my phone about mobile hotspot access being blocked. Came here, found the APN settings in this thread and tried it. Worked for about 30 seconds before the same thing happened again.

Looks like they are being pretty hardcore about it now...

Anybody else experiencing this or know how to get around it still?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys, here is a temp fix for you to continue using the mobile hotspot. But I am not sure how long it will be able to work until it gets blocked.

Go to Settings
    Mobile network
    Access Point Names

New APN
    set the name
    set the APN to: epc.tmobile.com
    save

after you save, select the new APN you created instead of T-Mobile data.
    How is this done ?

Sent from my Sensation 4G using xda premium

decompile framework-res.apk

edit /res/xml/apns.xml

recompile framework-res.apk and flash to device

Trouble is that I have been unable to decompile it without errors, otherwise I would have released a modified patch...

The "data" and "mms" apn's are set for "read-only" in the xml, and the "tethering" apn is set for "read-only" and "hidden" so you don't even know it's there. The euro 3.32 does not include any "tethering" apn's which is why it creates a loophole and allows unpaid tethering...
    I can confirm named it the bs fix

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

Actually, this does work. The only difference I can see between the APN that was on the phone and the new APN created is the following:

Original APN
    APN Type: default,supl,admin,hipri

Newly created APN
    APN type: Not Set

I have no clue what this means, but that is the only difference I see and the newly created APN does in fact work and allow me to tether over 4G.

Also, I had purchased EasyTether a while back to use on Sprint with my HTC Hero (before I learned to root a phone), and easytether also works using a USB cable.

Thanks to the OP for finding this!!