Moto Maker versus Developer Edition (VZW)

Search This thread

MikeyNick

Mar 14, 2009
Yes, I know this has been beaten to death, but I have also found myself in the "which one" boat. Has anyone else been torn and made the decision? how do you feel about your choice? thoughts?

I don't like the color scheme of the dev edition, but i like the concept of ensured root and custom ROMs, if development picks up pace. That being said, I get the impression that CM and other non-stock roms lose the beautiful features of touchless control and active notifications. Is this still true? If so, is there hope for it in the future? Is there any real advantage to the DE other than not having to wait for a root exploit? I'm currently very happy on eclipse, but i did find myself frustrated while waiting for a 4.4 root exploit. Anyway, just looking to get some general impressions on whose happy with having chosen one or the other and why. And also, if you've tried DE-only ROMS, which ones and what you thought of them.

Thanks XD

cw18306

Jan 8, 2014
Paradise
Yes, I know this has been beaten to death, but I have also found myself in the "which one" boat. Has anyone else been torn and made the decision? how do you feel about your choice? thoughts?

I don't like the color scheme of the dev edition, but i like the concept of ensured root and custom ROMs, if development picks up pace. That being said, I get the impression that CM and other non-stock roms lose the beautiful features of touchless control and active notifications. Is this still true? If so, is there hope for it in the future? Is there any real advantage to the DE other than not having to wait for a root exploit? I'm currently very happy on eclipse, but i did find myself frustrated while waiting for a 4.4 root exploit. Anyway, just looking to get some general impressions on whose happy with having chosen one or the other and why. And also, if you've tried DE-only ROMS, which ones and what you thought of them.

Thanks XD

It's much easier to root the DEV, but both can be http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358

YankInDaSouth

Oct 30, 2010
Sharpsburg, GA
I fought this very same thing ... Really not into a two-toned phone LOL
But after playing with the Moto Maker site and seeing my custom 32GB ebony/black/silver device was the same exact price as a dev edition device, I promptly removed the custom device from my cart and got the dev edition. I know I will root, not necessarily ROM, so why not take the path of least resistance? Also, I'll definitely be getting a case so there's a good chance that eventually all those customizations will be hidden anyway.
Just my $0.02

Note 3 .... that is all!!

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I got a 16gig retail "black woven" Demo X from Verizon in early Sept that I used for two months. This was the first phone in a long while that I didn't use a case for. It felt great in my hand. I didn't drop it. And after using it, I saw little need to root. Tethering was the biggest draw for root, along with blocking ads.

I've never been a fan of alternate ROMs. The ones I've tried on past phones always had bugs or issues, got updated frequently, etc. I spent more time "debugging" and "flashing" my phone than actually using it. With its stock ROM, the X just works and is so close to stock android that I don't want to mess that up with a custom rom. So I haven't really looked into the availability of the custom Moto X features (like active display, voice control, etc)

In early Nov when it came time to send the demo back, I opted to purchase the Dev Edition X for Verizon. At the time it was way more expensive, voided the warranty to unlock the bootloader, but the only 32gig option for Verizon, and most important to me was the ability to root without waiting on an exploit. When the Kit Kat root came out so fast, I was kind of kicking myself for not just using an upgrade and getting the Retail X. BUT.. seeing how involved the SlapMyMoto & MotoWpNoMo processes are compared to rooting the Dev Edition X, I felt better about my purchase. With the Dev X, its just flash TWRP recovery, boot into it and install SuperSU no matter what version stock ROM you are running. There is also the unknown of the 4.4.2 update coming, what is needed to install it if you've rooted with SlapMyMoto, and how to re-root if you have a locked boot loader. That wont be a problem with the Dev Ed. And recently Moto changed their policy about unlocking the Dev Edition bootloader, it no longer voids the warranty, and they re-instated the warranties which also makes me feel better.

I wouldn't say I'm a "fan" of the Dev Ed backing, either color or its slipperiness. The texture of the black woven demo I had was different/better. I have dropped my Dev X at home (on the carpet thankfully). To solve the lack of grip, I got one of those XtremeGuard full body kits when they were on sale for like $2.50 including shipping. I've only put the back on my phone and it has helped. I also have a SUPCASE and a Minisuit Clipster The cases do cover up the back, so had I opted for a MotoMaker, I wouldn't see its back when in the case. While both cases do alter the size and feel a little, its not enough to make me not use the case.

In the end, its up to you. Ease of Root and Write Protection Enable, Possibility of running 3rd party ROMs (which may cost you the Moto X features) vs custom colors and trim which might get covered by a case anyway, and may be less slippery without a case, and uncertainty of rooting.

Oh, and you can still use safe strap to run a few "custom" roms on the motomaker X.

Last edited:

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
I had the same struggle then concluded that I know I'll put a case on it and I know I hate bloatware, google included, and will want to remove it so I chose the developer edition...

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Make life easier on yourself and go with the Dev Edition. You have guaranteed control of your phone.

ROMing on this phone is almost pointless with GravityBox being able to customize almost anything you'd get on a custom ROM anyway, as long as you can root. That makes the Dev edition not as important, but it also means root is required and that is only guaranteed with the Dev edition.

Sent from my XT1060

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
I got a Moto Maker version, and while I love the phone, I do sorta regret not getting a Dev Edition. I haven't bothered to root my phone, since this phone is so fantastic on its own (and I figured out how to restore app data), but it would be nice to unlock the bootloader in case I wanted to try some ROMs.

That being said, personally, I think stock Moto X is superior to CyanogenMod (which I have on other devices). And there isn't any real bloatware (since you can always Disable it).

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
Bought a MotoMaker and don't regret not opting for the Dev Edition at all. The root process wasn't difficult at all. If you think that it was, stop using toolkits. I'm not a developer nor do I work in the IT industry, I'm just a tech geek like most people here. Knowing how to use adb and fastboot has saved my ass many times

Reactions: rupterr

MikeyNick

Mar 14, 2009
Ha, well the funny thing is, I AM a developer, so part of me likes the crazy exploits that came out for the Moto X. But I'm getting to a point in my life where, between work, a relationship, and all the little things in between, time is an increasingly rare commodity. When the telnet root exploit came out, I was like "wow, what a wizard to have figured that out!", and it was kind of fun, but then especially having to do it again on 4.4, reading about, setting up, and actually executing the exploit can be time consuming. It's not challenging, just time consuming. Why spend an hour or two doing that when I could spend 10 minutes flashing SU in twrp? Also, when 4.4 came out, I found myself checking the forum daily for a new root exploit, reading up on things, and overall just being very anxious for it. Again, that's time I could have spent doing other things if I had had the DE.

Thus, as it has been with many other decisions in my life, I will have to go the path of function over form. I am pretty set on getting the DE now (unless in the next couple days a Droid 5 is confirmed XD miss my physical keyboard). I'll just get that SUPCASE that was posted above, as I think the black/black variant looks rather nice, and will cover up the white that I don't like. Plus, there's an excuse for protecting my phone, eh?

Even if I just end up running Eclipse on it anyway, I think I like knowing that when 4.4.2 and eventually other versions of android come out, I will be able to root immediately and easily. And if custom roms continue to make progress, I'll have those options as well.

Plus, I was also reading there's a tutorial for removing the backplate, and backplates have shown up on ebay.

Reactions: DogzOfWar

rsage

Jul 28, 2010
I got a Moto Maker version, and while I love the phone, I do sorta regret not getting a Dev Edition. I haven't bothered to root my phone, since this phone is so fantastic on its own (and I figured out how to restore app data), but it would be nice to unlock the bootloader in case I wanted to try some ROMs.

That being said, personally, I think stock Moto X is superior to CyanogenMod (which I have on other devices). And there isn't any real bloatware (since you can always Disable it).

Hi there - I have a DE on the way and my wife has a Moto Maker on the way. What's the best way to restore app data on an MM device?

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
t's not challenging, just time consuming. Why spend an hour or two doing that when I could spend 10 minutes flashing SU in twrp?

If it takes "you" an hour or two to root this phone, it's probably best that "you" not attempt it yourself. It's as simple as downloading a few files, reading some instructions, then typing them in letter for letter.

If you have enough time to browse and post on this forum, you have enough time to root this device. Took me all of 15 mins.

Hi there - I have a DE on the way and my wife has a Moto Maker on the way. What's the best way to restore app data on an MM device?

Moto Migrate.

MikeyNick

Mar 14, 2009
If it takes "you" an hour or two to root this phone, it's probably best that "you" not attempt it yourself. It's as simple as downloading a few files, reading some instructions, then typing them in letter for letter.

If you have enough time to browse and post on this forum, you have enough time to root this device. Took me all of 15 mins.

Unless "you" simply look at commands and then type them, i don't think that's a 15 minute process. I think it is safe to assume that a majority of people like to understand the risk of a new root exploit. You're telling me when the telnet exploit came out for the very first time, it took you 15 minutes? I for one like to read about the potential risks, how the exploit works (best to stay informed, eh?), others' experiences with it thus far, etc. I don't think that's an atypical pattern. Yea, now that I've read about it and already know it, I can brush through a re-root quite quickly, but unless you're just going into a blind I don't think running a new exploit is a 15 minute process in most cases.

Sorry if that sounded a little disgruntled. I just couldn't help but get a "you don't seem good enough to muss about with your phone" vibe from that. Perhaps I should have been a little more particular, and mentioned that i was thinking more along the lines of the first time you run a new root exploit.

MikeyNick

Mar 14, 2009
Yea, I've been doing a lot of reading on it. Strong arguments on both sides. Either way, I suppose even if they do muss about with stuff, we'll definitely get 4.4.2. Who knows if future updates might have some bloat on them, or how long it'll take to get them. But with the developer edition, I guess that's much less of a concern. Plus, considering how popular this phone has been, it's hard to believe anyone would want to drop good support for it.

Still have till the third to decide, since that's when my code is valid through XD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is my article in how to restore without root.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2604423

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Bought a MotoMaker and don't regret not opting for the Dev Edition at all. The root process wasn't difficult at all. If you think that it was, stop using toolkits. I'm not a developer nor do I work in the IT industry, I'm just a tech geek like most people here. Knowing how to use adb and fastboot has saved my ass many times
    Ha, well the funny thing is, I AM a developer, so part of me likes the crazy exploits that came out for the Moto X. But I'm getting to a point in my life where, between work, a relationship, and all the little things in between, time is an increasingly rare commodity. When the telnet root exploit came out, I was like "wow, what a wizard to have figured that out!", and it was kind of fun, but then especially having to do it again on 4.4, reading about, setting up, and actually executing the exploit can be time consuming. It's not challenging, just time consuming. Why spend an hour or two doing that when I could spend 10 minutes flashing SU in twrp? Also, when 4.4 came out, I found myself checking the forum daily for a new root exploit, reading up on things, and overall just being very anxious for it. Again, that's time I could have spent doing other things if I had had the DE.

Thus, as it has been with many other decisions in my life, I will have to go the path of function over form. I am pretty set on getting the DE now (unless in the next couple days a Droid 5 is confirmed XD miss my physical keyboard). I'll just get that SUPCASE that was posted above, as I think the black/black variant looks rather nice, and will cover up the white that I don't like. Plus, there's an excuse for protecting my phone, eh?

Even if I just end up running Eclipse on it anyway, I think I like knowing that when 4.4.2 and eventually other versions of android come out, I will be able to root immediately and easily. And if custom roms continue to make progress, I'll have those options as well.

Plus, I was also reading there's a tutorial for removing the backplate, and backplates have shown up on ebay.
    I battled myself on this for a while and ended up going with the dev edition. I couldn't decide on what color scheme I wanted so I said f it and went dev.

Note 2 N3BULIZED!