Enabling Root and Installing TWRP on F8132 Xperiam X Performance

Search This thread

nickcaper

Jun 2, 2012
The instructions are updated as of 11-20-17. Win7 only cause Win10 sucks and uses powershell and the fastboot commands don't work in powershell.
These are the proper files and procedures for installing Root, the latest Kernel, the best Superuser version and TWRP.
This is for NOUGAT 7.1.1. (and possibly beyond) There is a special procedeur to make flashtool work with the latest firmwares for Nougat ..

Before you Root and install TWRP you need to go back to my link and unlock bootloader..

You also need to download and install Android Studio Software and install it. Back to this portion of the install later.

You also need a special kernel to allow things on the phone to keep working.
This will work only for Nougat firmware.
You will need to download Boot img, TWRP img, SuperSu

Save TWRP and boot img files to the Android Platform folder in your PC here C:\Users\enter the current pc users log in name here\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools . Save the Kernel zip and SUperSU zip file to an SD card and put the card inside your phone to access it through TWRP later in the process. Keep in mind that the Kernel may be updated. Check for updates herel here. Do a "date last modified" list of the files on that page by clicking on the grid view box on the upper right portion of the screen just under the "sign in" button. This helps you see what files have been updated in most recent order.

You will need to download the special Flashtool file here Install it.
Download the .jar patch file that makes the software version updated to the latest 9.23.2 and place it in this location C:\flashtools.
Now, download the special .fsc file and paste it in C:\Users"current user that is logged in"\.flashTool\devices\F81XX. Without this file you will not beable to update the device to nougat.

Goto C:\Flashtool\drivers and click on this file which was installed during the Flashtool installation.
Check off these boxes to install the drivers for the device you will be rooting. "Flash Boot Drivers, Flash Mode Drivers"
Now download and install these special ADB drivers to allow it to perform the Firmware update. Without it you wont beable to install the FTF file.

Open Sony Flash tool. Click on XI button. A window open. Click on Xperia Performance and then a small menu open under that. Choose F8132 ( i choose dual for my device)
If you can not get the newest firmware to show up for your device.( mine is 41.2.A.7.8 aka Nougat 7.1.1) then you can download it here Close Sony Flashtool.
Copy this FTF file and place it in folder C:\Users"The user you are currently logged into your pc with"\.flashTool\firmwares. Open Sony flash tool. Click on lightning bolt. Choose Flash mode in the small popup box. Window opens and shows your formware in the "firmwares" box. Click on plus symbol to the left of that firmware and it opens to the bottom to show the device model ( mine is F8132)/ Click on that plus symbol to the left of the model number to show the location of your firmware origination. Click on plus symbol and it then shows the firmware number 41.2.A.7.8. Click on the firmware and the entire window will populate a bunch of new options. If you want to wipe everythign on your phone then you need to check off the boxes "SSD and UserData" in the "wipe" box. Leave everythign else unchecked. Click the flash button at the bottom and it will start to prepare the files for installation onto yout device.
A window pops up that tells you to turn off your phone.

Turn your phone off. After its turned off, hold the volume down button while plugging the phone into your pc to get into fastboot mode. Your computer should be looking for the correct drivers to allow the device to work in this Flashboot mode. Once the flashing is done just close the flashtool. Turn your phone on. Go into settings and scroll down to "about phone then click on "build number" about 7 times. You will get a new optioon back in settings menu called "developer option". Click on that tabturn on "usb debugging" and turn off "verify apps over usb". Turn off phone.
Hold volum button UP this time while plugging phone back into pc.

Now go back to the folder C:\Users" name of user that is logged into the pc"\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools. You will open a cmd prompt in this folder by holding down your right mouse button and click on the shift key then release the mouse button. This will open a pop up window where you can choose to " open command window here" when the cmd window opens, copy and paste this "fastboot devices" press enter button, your computer should respond with this ......CB512A697c fastboot.......This lets you know that your phone is in the correct mode and ready to be programmed.
Now you will install the boot img by copy and pasting this in cmd line "fastboot flash boot boot.img" The PC should tell you OKAY with some other irrelevant info.

Now you will install the twrp img by copy and pasting this in cmd line "fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.0.3-0-dora.img" The PC should tell you OKAY with some other irrelevant info.

Now you will install Kernel, and SuperSU. Turn on phone while pushing power button holding volume down button for about 5 secnds then release the bottom volum button then after 5 seconds release the power button to initiate TWRP.
Swipe to allow modifications then choose "Install" to install the zip files. Navigate to the SD card that has the kernel and SU zip files. Click on them to install. Reboot. TWRP might ask if you want to install the TWRP app before the phone starts to reboot. Just say no. After that, a few seconds later, the device reboots and then the Phone might go throw optimization process which takes some time. You will notice the counting of optimized files. Be patient.

When phone is booted and running, you might have to reinstall SuperSU via the Operating system as a APK like you would a normal app just to get root going. No big deal.

A caution...
When doing a backup with Twrp you should only backup System and Data
When doing a full restore, wipe only System, Data and the cache files. Do not ever delete your SDcard with the backups on it.

THIS IS THE VERY LAST UPDATE FOR ROOTING THE X Performance. IT IS NOUGAT 7.1.1

FORGET ABOUT ROOTING OREO>> ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. PLUS IT IS NOT A DECENT UPDATE TO BE HONEST> IT JUST CHANGES A BUNCH OF MENUS AROUND AND LOCKS DOWN YOUR PHONE MORE>

Last edited:

jakebriggs

Oct 29, 2010
So, if I was to relock my bootloader after installing TWRP and rooting, what would happen? Would TWRP go away? I'd like to let the phone OTA update to nougat, and you can't do that with an unlocked bootloader....

Arturiuz!

Feb 2, 2013
So, if I was to relock my bootloader after installing TWRP and rooting, what would happen? Would TWRP go away? I'd like to let the phone OTA update to nougat, and you can't do that with an unlocked bootloader....

your phone will soft brick..or rather bootloop..if you're still on MM,do a nandroid backup..& here's what you do:

-relock phone using Flashtool.
-repair device using Xperia Companion(it will update automatically to Nougat).
-unlock phone again using Flashtool.
-install AndroPlus Kernel through command prompt(or you can also use Flashtool to do it.however you prefer).
-install TWRP recovery..you're all set!

P.S.
on steps i said(this is optional),you may not turn on your device along the process..that's what i do & i find it easier that way..goodluck!

jakebriggs

Oct 29, 2010
your phone will soft brick..or rather bootloop..if you're still on MM,do a nandroid backup..& here's what you do:

-install AndroPlus Kernel through command prompt(or you can also use Flashtool to do it.however you prefer).

P.S.
on steps i said(this is optional),you may not turn on your device along the process..that's what i do & i find it easier that way..goodluck!

Thanks heaps! Now, to find a couple hours spare

jakebriggs

Oct 29, 2010

P.S.

Following this left me with a phone that boots to a screen "To start Android, enter your password". I don't have a password to enter :/

Arturiuz!

Feb 2, 2013
Following this left me with a phone that boots to a screen "To start Android, enter your password". I don't have a password to enter :/

that occured to me too!my apologies but i forgot mention about that..but you could try again that after you fixed/updated your phone using Xperia Companion to turn your phone first & set up everything.then unlock using Flashtool.install kernel & recovery.. :good:

jakebriggs

Oct 29, 2010
that occured to me too!my apologies but i forgot mention about that..but you could try again that after you fixed/updated your phone using Xperia Companion to turn your phone first & set up everything.then unlock using Flashtool.install kernel & recovery.. :good:

I did try that - although, I set it up with a pin rather than a password. It didn't accept my pin when asking for the password.
Now I have a phone with a locked bootloader, running nougat, and I set it up with a password. I wonder if that password you use on the lock screen is the same password that Android is asking for when I unlock my bootloader?
I also could not seem to get the phone to boot into recovery after rebooting when I got the password screen. So weird....

Arturiuz!

Feb 2, 2013
I did try that - although, I set it up with a pin rather than a password. It didn't accept my pin when asking for the password.
Now I have a phone with a locked bootloader, running nougat, and I set it up with a password. I wonder if that password you use on the lock screen is the same password that Android is asking for when I unlock my bootloader?
I also could not seem to get the phone to boot into recovery after rebooting when I got the password screen. So weird....

you can't use recovery or root your phone when bootloader is locked..could you try now unlock your phone using Flashtool?then install kernel & recovery?mind that data will be wiped..

jakebriggs

Oct 29, 2010
you can't use recovery or root your phone when bootloader is locked..could you try now unlock your phone using Flashtool?then install kernel & recovery?mind that data will be wiped..

So if unlocking the boot loader wipes data, how can android ask for my password when I reboot? I am a little mystified at how this is supposed to work :) Rooting Marshmellow was easier than Nougat....

Arturiuz!

Feb 2, 2013
So if unlocking the boot loader wipes data, how can android ask for my password when I reboot? I am a little mystified at how this is supposed to work :) Rooting Marshmellow was easier than Nougat....

true!MM was easier but Nougat is a bit complicated..however,you could still make changes on Nougat when phone is rooted.anyway,try again from the very beginning then this time after fixing phone using Xperia Companion,do the steps i mentioned..i myself couldn't figure out how it's asking for any password at first.AndroPlus also mentioned it before but didn't explain further.but it's alright coz i got it working now.

jakebriggs

Oct 29, 2010
true!MM was easier but Nougat is a bit complicated..however,you could still make changes on Nougat when phone is rooted.anyway,try again from the very beginning then this time after fixing phone using Xperia Companion,do the steps i mentioned..i myself couldn't figure out how it's asking for any password at first.AndroPlus also mentioned it before but didn't explain further.but it's alright coz i got it working now.

I think my issue with the unknowable password after unlocking the bootloader on Nougat could have been fixed by wiping data+dalvik cache. I was having issues with the camera under nougat so I flagged trying to get it going and flashed MarshMellow. Once that was done, I got the bloody password prompt again, so I wiped data + cache and it booted correctly.

Anyway, gonna ignore Nougat until fastboot supports nougat

AdrianDC

Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2009
Île-de-France
adriandc.github.io
Issues with passwords kept / unknown and blocked are due to the fact the security portion is stored
next to the data partition area, in what we call the footer, and that area was wrong for you.

By wiping data completely (most reliably, a factory reset which will format the data partition),
the footer is also erased instead of simply deleting the files like a Wipe would do.

Last edited:

mongastein

Oct 16, 2008
lost system?

I got as far as getting boot.img and twrp.img in my phone, and then appeared to lose my system since it stuck on the Sony logo and wouldn't boot into the system despite several tries. Idiot that I am, I panicked and come onto the forum to post a plead for help. I've managed to get my system back on now and feel very foolish, so just editing the post to remove the request for help. Thank you so much for the guide, very greatly appreciated! Looking forward to upgrading to Nougat.

Last edited:

Wimz3n

Aug 24, 2012
At my keyboard... again
I got as far as getting boot.img and twrp.img in my phone, and then appeared to lose my system since it stuck on the Sony logo and wouldn't boot into the system despite several tries. Idiot that I am, I panicked and come onto the forum to post a plead for help. I've managed to get my system back on now and feel very foolish, so just editing the post to remove the request for help. Thank you so much for the guide, very greatly appreciated! Looking forward to upgrading to Nougat.

Don't feel like a fool. I'm panicing right now.

Can flash boot.img and twrp.img and even enter twrp to flash su and kernel. But thats it. When done i reboot and i can pass SONY logo and enter bootanimation but it stucks here forever. Been trying with everything exept flashing official MM.

You did get the system back. So I'm the fool :eek:

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Will this guide work with Nougat? I have a F8132 with 39.2.A.0.327

Didn't for me. Have a softbricked phone in front of me since yesterday. Going to try to flash MM soon but my internet is terrible slow. Won't give up. :D

orkanamn

Feb 21, 2014
Uppsala
Will this guide work with Nougat? I have a F8132 with 39.2.A.0.327
It works if you get updated files. I struggled a bit before I finally extracted the boot.img from the AndroPlusKernel for my version which I flashed in fastboot and flashed the kernel and supersu in twrp. I think that's what did it. I was so eager to root that I missed that I was using MM-files at first. :silly:

Edit: oh I answered a pretty old post. Anyway, this is another way https://xdaforums.com/xperia-x-performance/development/mod-sony-stock-patcher-xperia-x-t3528148

Last edited:

chris_j26

Apr 26, 2017
Don't feel like a fool. I'm panicing right now.

Can flash boot.img and twrp.img and even enter twrp to flash su and kernel. But thats it. When done i reboot and i can pass SONY logo and enter bootanimation but it stucks here forever. Been trying with everything exept flashing official MM.

You did get the system back. So I'm the fool :eek:

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Didn't for me. Have a softbricked phone in front of me since yesterday. Going to try to flash MM soon but my internet is terrible slow. Won't give up. :D

I ended up finding a way to downgrade to marshmallow following some instructions from from @sdugoten

Last edited:

nickcaper

Jun 2, 2012
The instructions are updated.. With proper files for the latest and greatest kernel and SuperSU and TWRP. NOUGAT Only .. Will not work for any other OS versions

Last edited:
Reactions: Arturiuz!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The instructions are updated as of 11-20-17. Win7 only cause Win10 sucks and uses powershell and the fastboot commands don't work in powershell.
    These are the proper files and procedures for installing Root, the latest Kernel, the best Superuser version and TWRP.
    This is for NOUGAT 7.1.1. (and possibly beyond) There is a special procedeur to make flashtool work with the latest firmwares for Nougat ..

Before you Root and install TWRP you need to go back to my link and unlock bootloader..

You also need to download and install Android Studio Software and install it. Back to this portion of the install later.

You also need a special kernel to allow things on the phone to keep working.
    This will work only for Nougat firmware.
    You will need to download Boot img, TWRP img, SuperSu

Save TWRP and boot img files to the Android Platform folder in your PC here C:\Users\enter the current pc users log in name here\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools . Save the Kernel zip and SUperSU zip file to an SD card and put the card inside your phone to access it through TWRP later in the process. Keep in mind that the Kernel may be updated. Check for updates herel here. Do a "date last modified" list of the files on that page by clicking on the grid view box on the upper right portion of the screen just under the "sign in" button. This helps you see what files have been updated in most recent order.

You will need to download the special Flashtool file here Install it.
    Download the .jar patch file that makes the software version updated to the latest 9.23.2 and place it in this location C:\flashtools.
    Now, download the special .fsc file and paste it in C:\Users"current user that is logged in"\.flashTool\devices\F81XX. Without this file you will not beable to update the device to nougat.

Goto C:\Flashtool\drivers and click on this file which was installed during the Flashtool installation.
    Check off these boxes to install the drivers for the device you will be rooting. "Flash Boot Drivers, Flash Mode Drivers"
    Now download and install these special ADB drivers to allow it to perform the Firmware update. Without it you wont beable to install the FTF file.

Open Sony Flash tool. Click on XI button. A window open. Click on Xperia Performance and then a small menu open under that. Choose F8132 ( i choose dual for my device)
    If you can not get the newest firmware to show up for your device.( mine is 41.2.A.7.8 aka Nougat 7.1.1) then you can download it here Close Sony Flashtool.
    Copy this FTF file and place it in folder C:\Users"The user you are currently logged into your pc with"\.flashTool\firmwares. Open Sony flash tool. Click on lightning bolt. Choose Flash mode in the small popup box. Window opens and shows your formware in the "firmwares" box. Click on plus symbol to the left of that firmware and it opens to the bottom to show the device model ( mine is F8132)/ Click on that plus symbol to the left of the model number to show the location of your firmware origination. Click on plus symbol and it then shows the firmware number 41.2.A.7.8. Click on the firmware and the entire window will populate a bunch of new options. If you want to wipe everythign on your phone then you need to check off the boxes "SSD and UserData" in the "wipe" box. Leave everythign else unchecked. Click the flash button at the bottom and it will start to prepare the files for installation onto yout device.
    A window pops up that tells you to turn off your phone.

Turn your phone off. After its turned off, hold the volume down button while plugging the phone into your pc to get into fastboot mode. Your computer should be looking for the correct drivers to allow the device to work in this Flashboot mode. Once the flashing is done just close the flashtool. Turn your phone on. Go into settings and scroll down to "about phone then click on "build number" about 7 times. You will get a new optioon back in settings menu called "developer option". Click on that tabturn on "usb debugging" and turn off "verify apps over usb". Turn off phone.
    Hold volum button UP this time while plugging phone back into pc.

Now go back to the folder C:\Users" name of user that is logged into the pc"\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools. You will open a cmd prompt in this folder by holding down your right mouse button and click on the shift key then release the mouse button. This will open a pop up window where you can choose to " open command window here" when the cmd window opens, copy and paste this "fastboot devices" press enter button, your computer should respond with this ......CB512A697c fastboot.......This lets you know that your phone is in the correct mode and ready to be programmed.
    Now you will install the boot img by copy and pasting this in cmd line "fastboot flash boot boot.img" The PC should tell you OKAY with some other irrelevant info.

Now you will install the twrp img by copy and pasting this in cmd line "fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.0.3-0-dora.img" The PC should tell you OKAY with some other irrelevant info.

Now you will install Kernel, and SuperSU. Turn on phone while pushing power button holding volume down button for about 5 secnds then release the bottom volum button then after 5 seconds release the power button to initiate TWRP.
    Swipe to allow modifications then choose "Install" to install the zip files. Navigate to the SD card that has the kernel and SU zip files. Click on them to install. Reboot. TWRP might ask if you want to install the TWRP app before the phone starts to reboot. Just say no. After that, a few seconds later, the device reboots and then the Phone might go throw optimization process which takes some time. You will notice the counting of optimized files. Be patient.

When phone is booted and running, you might have to reinstall SuperSU via the Operating system as a APK like you would a normal app just to get root going. No big deal.

A caution...
    When doing a backup with Twrp you should only backup System and Data
    When doing a full restore, wipe only System, Data and the cache files. Do not ever delete your SDcard with the backups on it.

THIS IS THE VERY LAST UPDATE FOR ROOTING THE X Performance. IT IS NOUGAT 7.1.1

FORGET ABOUT ROOTING OREO>> ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. PLUS IT IS NOT A DECENT UPDATE TO BE HONEST> IT JUST CHANGES A BUNCH OF MENUS AROUND AND LOCKS DOWN YOUR PHONE MORE>
    Issues with passwords kept / unknown and blocked are due to the fact the security portion is stored
    next to the data partition area, in what we call the footer, and that area was wrong for you.

By wiping data completely (most reliably, a factory reset which will format the data partition),
    the footer is also erased instead of simply deleting the files like a Wipe would do.
    Please do not upload my kernel to other hostings!

Official website for my kernel is
    https://kernel.andro.plus/tone.html
    The instructions are updated.. With proper files for the latest and greatest kernel and SuperSU and TWRP. NOUGAT Only .. Will not work for any other OS versions
    I have flashed boot.img and the latest TWRP on to the system as instructed and I got OKAY in both the cases. But I am unable to go to a screen where I can install superuser. I tried holding the volume up and volume down during the reboot. But it is booting to the home screen always. How do i enter into that mode?

through adb root , adb shell I can see all the root folders (I am getting the # sign in the command indicating I am root.) But when execute "su", su is not not found is the error. I think this is because I did not install the super user. How do I do it?

PS: My device is Sony X Performance with Android 7.1.1 Build number :41.2.A.7.8 Kernel version :3.18.31-v24

Turn your phone off completely.
    Wait 5 seconds.
    Hold power and volume down.
    Once the Sony logo comes up release power, then a few seconds later release volume down.
    Profit.