Shall I sell my NOTE Pro 12.2 and get the Surface Pro 3?

Search This thread

KoryandR

Nov 1, 2009
Ok, I won't underestimate the amount of singers because many people sing under the shower [emoji11]
I think I'm being misunderstood. I'm not saying a Note is useless for sketching. I mean that if anybody is between buying a Note or a TabletPC for professional digital art, the way to go is TabletPC mainly because of software. Android sw for drawing is still timely inefficient because of the lack of basic tools and UI. Of course I can sketch in my P605 but my experience says that the same sketch would take less time in legacy software.
And IMO, Inkling is a device no digital artist should waste a penny on [emoji12]

Enviado desde mi SM-P605 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Inkling was, as I clearly said, meant for notetaking in that argument.

The Surface might've been a decent contender if it had a real GPU, and not that ridiculous IntelHD. As it is, the Note simply has more advantages because there's no point having Photoshop if it's not able to handle more than 4 layers because of the lousy GPU....

Last edited:

KoryandR

Nov 1, 2009

The Surface might've been a decent contender if it had a real GPU, and not that ridiculous IntelHD. As it is, the Note simply has more advantages because there's no point having Photoshop if it's not able to handle more than 4 layers because of the lousy GPU....

That's not true. Even more, it's a lie. And you'd know if you had used a TabletPC once in your (I guess short) life.
I own an old Motion Computing LE1700 (2007/2008 model) with a f*****g limited integrated GPU and I'm able to manage about 15 layers at high resolution EVERY DAY for work.

But hey, you should buy whatever device Samsung/Wacom make, no matter the purpose. Your $$$ is always welcome.

This conversation is a nonsense.

Last edited:
That's not true. Even more, it's a lie. And you'd know if you had used a TabletPC once in your (I guess short) life.
I own an old Motion Computing LE1700 (2007/2008 model) with a f*****g limited integrated GPU and I'm able to manage about 15 layers at high resolution EVERY DAY for work.

But hey, you should buy whatever device Samsung/Wacom make, no matter the purpose. Your $$$ is always welcome.

This conversation is a nonsense.

The fact I did not revert to mentioning your age in my argument leads me to believe you are the more childish of us. (It is, in fact, listed in my profile. There is no need for you to 'guess'.)

I have used several, that is hardly the relevant point here.

But by all means. Pay 2000 euro for a bottleneck the size of the moon. I won't stop you. Buy an iMac, whilst you're at it. Since clearly you're more interested in a hype than in value for money.

Last edited:

KoryandR

Nov 1, 2009
I work with a 2008 TabletPC and a DIY Cintiq. Definitely I'm a fashion victim.

jake21

Apr 29, 2011
Well - the problem with the S3 (for myself) is battery life. This thing can last 7-9 hours of video streaming; the reviews suggest the pro 3 has around 4 hours. I mostly use the tablet when i fly cross country; so plug isn't too handy (though I think i was on one plane where they had installed plugs at the seats).

KoryandR

Nov 1, 2009
4 hours??? TabletPCreview forums talk about +7... If you are interested on a Surface Pro 3 or another TabletPC, that's the right place to ask actual users [emoji12]

rirawin

Oct 13, 2011

That is some rubbish, the SP3 can easily handle more than 4 layers. Heck even the Ativ 500t I owned was able to do more than 4 layers, last time I checked I was doing an illustration with 7 layers at 300dpi. It wasn't smooth but it was workable, and that was without a dedicated gpu.

That is some rubbish, the SP3 can easily handle more than 4 layers. Heck even the Ativ 500t I owned was able to do more than 4 layers, last time I checked I was doing an illustration with 7 layers at 300dpi. It wasn't smooth but it was workable, and that was without a dedicated gpu.

And how complex was this illustration? Did it feature effects and layer styles and masks and smart layers? Or were they just lines and colours?

rirawin

Oct 13, 2011
And how complex was this illustration? Did it feature effects and layer styles and masks and smart layers? Or were they just lines and colours?

No effects, I use several layers for painting and linework and masking. Its slower performance wise for sure but tolerable, however, it wouldn't be machine I sorely reliable upon for creating my artwork.

The SP2 on the other just churns through it, the Cinitq Companion is even better but worst GPU.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's tempting, VERY tempting, untill you take a look at this:

Intel Core i3, 64 GB storage and 4 GB of RAM—$799
    Intel Core i5, 128 GB storage and 4 GB of RAM—$999
    Intel Core i5, 256 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM—$1,299
    Intel Core i7, 256 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM—$1,549
    Intel Core i7, 512 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM—$1,949

I'd want the one I could use as a real PC, and I'd want to be able to play my Games on it. And for 1949, I'll just buy my own gaming laptop(i7 3.2Ghz, 2TB, 16GBRAM, GT740M 4GB) again and take that with me. (Size and weight are of no importance to me, what's 1.5kg on an average 40kg backpack?). And still have enough money left to buy a TabPro for portable entertainment purposes.

12.2" is not enough for my work usage (As a graphic designer I require at least 22").

Also, it runs a Intel HD 4400 integrated GPU. No way in hell am I paying 2000 quid for that nightmarish piece of rubbish! Running Photoshop CS6 on an Intel HD, as if! Also, as a serious Gamer (Skyrim, Mass Effect), it's useless.

Once it starts having serious Nvidia GPU's, I'll consider it. For now I'm more than happy with my NotePro.
    Mines got the retina thingy lmao

You have to give Samsung credit. In less than a minute they took out the iPad Air, Surface, Kindle, and iPad Mini. ;)
    Well, we (artists) are minority. Wacom will keep that niche (I agree Wacom is unbeatable at the moment for that purpose). BUT the main business and $$$ comes from "note takers", they are many more... And winds are changing [emoji12]

BTW, this thread is about comparing a Note Pro to a Surface (not Cintiq nor Intuos). And we know very well that Note, although Wacom, is far away from being a professional tool for artists...

I'm not totally sure about that. I know several design students that use the note pro for most of their artwork. Some connect it to their pc to use it as a wacom drawing tablet to control their pc apps. (Very useful it would seem since you get a great tab for your serious art on the pc and it works on the go as a tablet and can be used definitely for rough sketches, design ideas, or rough drafts that could be ported into pc applications to apply the finishing touches. It may not be the total package but the uses I described above would make it very tempting to me for drafting sketches and the like if I were a professional artist.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app
    I also hope to be able to run Illustrator, Photoshop and 3D softwares such as CAD software. (With touch screen and the stylus, I can use the Surface PRO 3 as a tablet for CAD drawing.)

The SP3, even the i7 version, uses Intel's imbedded graphics. Those apps will run but not well. You need a device with a discreet GPU. With N-trig I question the precision of the pen on the SP3. I'd wait for some user feedback but that shouldn't be an issue for you since you asked over 100 questions and waited months before buying a Note. You're better off with a touch screen ultra book or laptop since you'll need a mouse or track pad to use those programs on a 2,160x1,440 display any way. A SP3 with a keyboard always attached is really just a very high priced mid-spec'd laptop. At least with a friction-hinged laptop you don't have to worry about it flopping around on uneven surfaces. As a stand-alone tablet the SP3 makes no sense to me; at least not until there are touch-optimized apps for ultra HD displays available. I can't imagine doing head-down serious work on any tablet without a keyboard and mouse. And you'll go blind looking at native apps at that resolution and good luck interacting with their UI's when what you're trying to hit with the mouse or pen is 1 mm square. I know quite a few people that have or had Surface's. Most rate it poor to "OK." Nothing fundamental has changed between the SP2 and SP3.
    What kind of Android apps that do not have an equivalent or superior version under Windows or Mac OS? If that SP3 were running Mac OS, I would definitely trade in.

Android and iOS are great for consumption. Windows is great for productivity and business connectivity. Android fakes productivity better than Windows fakes consumption. Windows is Windows. With driver issues, desktop apps not designed for touch or an ultra HD display, and having to rely on a browser for a lot of things where apps aren't available. The SP3 changes none of that. My Note is a far better laptop supplement than the SP3 is a stand-alone tablet. My "laptop replacement" is still a laptop and Samsung's Pros and the SP3 haven't changed my thinking. What has changed is I can now leave my laptop and its bag full of paraphernalia at home 50% of the time because of the productivity and performance gains Samsung's introduced with the Pro's.

The second vignette in this commercial says it all...

P.S. - For those who handwriting is important, research N-trig. It's what MS is using in place of an active digitizer and Wacom which Samsung uses on the Notes. It's a pretty big compromise and I'll bet highly problematic on such a high-res display.