Google Store Unlocked Pixel 2 "OEM unlocking" locked?

Search This thread

samplon

Oct 18, 2014
I've recently ordered an Unlocked Pixel 2 from the Google store, but under Developer Options, "OEM unlocking" is greyed out and i can't change it. Did Google run out of Google versions and sold me an Unlocked Verizon phone?
CID Checker shows:
[ro.boot.cid] : 00000000
[ro.bootloader] : mw8998-002.0059.00

cadcamaro

Jun 14, 2013
Irvine, CA
I just checked and mine is showing the same thing. Ordered direct from Google, although I'm using it with Verizon, would that make a difference?

cadcamaro

Jun 14, 2013
Irvine, CA
Can you change the "OEM unlocking" option?

Nope, mines completely blocked off as if it were a Verizon model phone.

HP7JrtTl.jpg

I just called Google support an they will get back to me in about 45 minutes, and said if they cannot solve it I'll have a replacement shipped to me. Seems to be the only solution for us at this time as others have had the same issue.

samplon

Oct 18, 2014
I also gave Google support a call and told them about my issue. They told me they had someone call just before me about the same issue. :laugh: Anyway, they had me send them a debug report and said they'll get back to me later.

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
i went to the verizon store to play with their pixels (wait, that did not sound right). anyhow, i tried to enable developer options, and could not on neither the regular nor the XL. I could enable the secret System Tuner UI. I tried tapping several thousand times on the build number, but nothing.

also, I did notice the screen burn in for the XL, but no burn in for the regular.

just some food for thought....

PiousInquisitor

Aug 10, 2014
Mine is also grayed out. Bought the unlocked model from the Google Store. Contacted support, submitted a bug report, and waiting for a response. What a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
I got my replacement and I was able to unlock it. Good luck to everyone else who expects a fix this century. It'd kinda sad that nobody picked up this story. I sent it to XDA, Android Police, and Droid Life. Zero coverage.

Don't hold your breath on a fix. I really feel bad for the people who try to unlock their device a year or two from now or sell their device on Swappa and the sellers/buyers finds out it's not unlockable. OUCH.

samplon

Oct 18, 2014
I talked to Google support and they're sending me a replacement. They specifically asked me if i bought my phone from the Google store and if i chose the Unlocked version rather than the Verizon. Then i screen shared the issue with the person on the phone and they explained that Unlocked versions from the Google store are all suppose to have the "OEM unlocking" option unlocked. As such, they will be sending me a replacement with advanced shipping free of charge.
I called through the "Support & tips" tab in the phone 3 times. Got a call back with a rep helping me out pretty much instantly every time. I'm very satisfied with the customer service and support.

Last edited:

dapbmonkey4u

Nov 28, 2009
Mine was bought from Google store unlocked. I used my VZW Sim and first thing after setup was to open developer options and turn on OEM unlock. After updating to beta 8.1.0 it is still applied.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171108-183137.png
    Screenshot_20171108-183137.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 414

Top Liked Posts