Kindle Fire HD 7 bootloop and no ADB

Search This thread

Maric98

Apr 20, 2014
Hi guys,

First of all I am new to this forum but i have read almost every thread about this subject but i can't seem to find my exact situation.

So yesterday I decided I wanted to root my kindle fire HD 7 and put Cynangonmod on it. So i found this video of a guy explaining it and I downloaded the files he provided and I followed his steps.
That is when the first problem came up. He wanted me to install the ADB drivers which I couldn't get done. It told me something like '' could not install the drivers, please install them manually ''.
Thats is when I came to you guys and I noticed there were a lot of people having the same problem. I had to download some other replacement drivers and install those but even that didn't work so I was basically out of luck.

After a couple hours I managed to get the drivers functioning after deleting them and installing them again. I was surprised this actually worked because I did try that before.
But anyway the drivers were working and my kindle responded just like in the video. I followed the steps in the video and I was happy to see some progression. So my device basically was rooted at this point. So just like in the video I transferred the recovery files, CM-11 and the GAPPS I downloaded to my Kindle while strictly following the steps in the video. Next up I used ES file manager to open up the APK file and install it. At this point I exactly followed the tutorial by selecting the right files and checking the right boxes in the Fire Flash menu. Everything looked OK.

I flashed and installed the script like in the tutorial and pressed rebooted into recovery. Unfortunately this is when the party was over.

Instead of the device booting up and saying Kindle Fire with Fire being orange and turning Blue after a couple seconds, my device just booted without turning blue and was basically looping the hole time.
This was a real bummer since I was so happy that I luckily passed the hole ADB driver issue.
Now when I connect my Kindle to my computer nothing happens....just nothing...my computer doesn't even recognize my Kindle at all. So I decided to search the web for this bootloop problem and I downloaded several utility's which should unbrick my Kindle. But since my computer doesn't even recognize my Kindle actually being plugged in these tools will never work anyway.

I have no idea what is going on but it seems like it's the ADB drivers not functioning again? and what I should do now? Or can I just throw my Kindle in the trash?

This is the video I used on YouTube. You might want to watch this to understand my situation.

/watch?v=PVuvR-hHOLE

The files I downloaded are in the description of the video. I do not have the unbrick utilities and the replacement drivers anymore. But that doesn't matter now anyway since my computer doesn't recognize my device.

Please help me guys!!

Thanks!

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hi guys,

First of all I am new to this forum but i have read almost every thread about this subject but i can't seem to find my exact situation.

So yesterday I decided I wanted to root my kindle fire HD 7 and put Cynangonmod on it. So i found this video of a guy explaining it and I downloaded the files he provided and I followed his steps.
That is when the first problem came up. He wanted me to install the ADB drivers which I couldn't get done. It told me something like '' could not install the drivers, please install them manually ''.
Thats is when I came to you guys and I noticed there were a lot of people having the same problem. I had to download some other replacement drivers and install those but even that didn't work so I was basically out of luck.

After a couple hours I managed to get the drivers functioning after deleting them and installing them again. I was surprised this actually worked because I did try that before.
But anyway the drivers were working and my kindle responded just like in the video. I followed the steps in the video and I was happy to see some progression. So my device basically was rooted at this point. So just like in the video I transferred the recovery files, CM-11 and the GAPPS I downloaded to my Kindle while strictly following the steps in the video. Next up I used ES file manager to open up the APK file and install it. At this point I exactly followed the tutorial by selecting the right files and checking the right boxes in the Fire Flash menu. Everything looked OK.

I flashed and installed the script like in the tutorial and pressed rebooted into recovery. Unfortunately this is when the party was over.

Instead of the device booting up and saying Kindle Fire with Fire being orange and turning Blue after a couple seconds, my device just booted without turning blue and was basically looping the hole time.
This was a real bummer since I was so happy that I luckily passed the hole ADB driver issue.
Now when I connect my Kindle to my computer nothing happens....just nothing...my computer doesn't even recognize my Kindle at all. So I decided to search the web for this bootloop problem and I downloaded several utility's which should unbrick my Kindle. But since my computer doesn't even recognize my Kindle actually being plugged in these tools will never work anyway.

I have no idea what is going on but it seems like it's the ADB drivers not functioning again? and what I should do now? Or can I just throw my Kindle in the trash?

This is the video I used on YouTube. You might want to watch this to understand my situation.

/watch?v=PVuvR-hHOLE

The files I downloaded are in the description of the video. I do not have the unbrick utilities and the replacement drivers anymore. But that doesn't matter now anyway since my computer doesn't recognize my device.

Please help me guys!!

Thanks!

Have you tried getting into recovery manually? Turn the device on, immediately hold down volume up while the logo is still yellow, keep holding until a few seconds after it turns blue, it should go into twrp if you flashed twrp correctly. If worse comes to worst you can always use a fastboot cable to recover from this. Also adb is not supposed to work when you are at a bootloader screen, at most you probably could access fastboot if the logo turns blue, because the device may breifly show up as a tate device with second bootloader installed, normally it wouldnt. You would have to isntall the drivers in that brief moment or run a ubuntu live cd to do it. Anyways tell me if you can get into recovery.

Maric98

Apr 20, 2014
Have you tried getting into recovery manually? Turn the device on, immediately hold down volume up while the logo is still yellow, keep holding until a few seconds after it turns blue, it should go into twrp if you flashed twrp correctly. If worse comes to worst you can always use a fastboot cable to recover from this. Also adb is not supposed to work when you are at a bootloader screen, at most you probably could access fastboot if the logo turns blue, because the device may breifly show up as a tate device with second bootloader installed, normally it wouldnt. You would have to isntall the drivers in that brief moment or run a ubuntu live cd to do it. Anyways tell me if you can get into recovery.

Thanks for your reply!

I have actually tried to holding down the volume button when it turns on but it doesn't do anything. It's like the device is ignoring me and just keeps looping.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Could be the recovery partition is screwed up but that would only happen if you had a bad recovery image. This is going to get a bit complicated. I recommend using a Ubuntu live CD for this because you won't run into a very annoying driver issue if you use Ubuntu, though they just released a update and I don't know for sure if the package names are the same. Use the latest Ubuntu if you choose to do this or you could simply get a fastboot cable or the blackhat fastboot adapter that goes in between the kindle and the cable. You simply need to try to flash a recovery IMG through fastboot. It should be pretty straight forward, no need to return to stock kindle os to fix this assuming my theory as to why its doing this is correct.

If you wanna use Ubuntu then grab the latest version from their site(think its 14.something) and either burn it to a CD or make a bootable USB using either their instructions, or my preferred utility unetbootin, then boot up into Ubuntu live os and open the settings and look for something about software update. I haven't upgraded to the latest distro so this bit of info is a bit guess and check. If you find software update then make sure all the download from internet boxes are checked then hit close, if it asks to reload choose yes and ignore the first command i'm about to mention. Open a terminal, run these commands in order:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot android-tools-adb
sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
Once it says waiting for device, plug the kindle in with the power off, it should then go into fastboot since you have 2nd bootloader installed. Normally this method wouldn't work without a second bootloader unless you are on the 8.9". From there you can open the 2.7 zip of twrp and extract the img file from it to your home folder and run:
Code:
sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery-image-name-here

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maric98

Apr 20, 2014
Could be the recovery partition is screwed up but that would only happen if you had a bad recovery image. This is going to get a bit complicated. I recommend using a Ubuntu live CD for this because you won't run into a very annoying driver issue if you use Ubuntu, though they just released a update and I don't know for sure if the package names are the same. Use the latest Ubuntu if you choose to do this or you could simply get a fastboot cable or the blackhat fastboot adapter that goes in between the kindle and the cable. You simply need to try to flash a recovery IMG through fastboot. It should be pretty straight forward, no need to return to stock kindle os to fix this assuming my theory as to why its doing this is correct.

If you wanna use Ubuntu then grab the latest version from their site(think its 14.something) and either burn it to a CD or make a bootable USB using either their instructions, or my preferred utility unetbootin, then boot up into Ubuntu live os and open the settings and look for something about software update. I haven't upgraded to the latest distro so this bit of info is a bit guess and check. If you find software update then make sure all the download from internet boxes are checked then hit close, if it asks to reload choose yes and ignore the first command i'm about to mention. Open a terminal, run these commands in order:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot android-tools-adb
sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
Once it says waiting for device, plug the kindle in with the power off, it should then go into fastboot since you have 2nd bootloader installed. Normally this method wouldn't work without a second bootloader unless you are on the 8.9". From there you can open the 2.7 zip of twrp and extract the img file from it to your home folder and run:
Code:
sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery-image-name-here

That actually sounds really difficult.
Just to be clear there is no way to do this on just Windows 7 or OSX? Instead of installing Ubuntu ( which I am not familiar with ). Also could you explain a bit more about the functions of those fastboot cables / adapters because I don't really understand what they do and are you sure those will work with the status of my device? I assume as soon as I get that cable / adapter I Need to plug my device in to the computer and have to get it working via some commands? But anyway is there a way I can stick to windows or mac OSX ( Which I did not use before in the rooting process )

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
o_O , mac os, normally I would hate mac os just because its a bit nooby and i don't agree with apples policy towards open source(or the lack of) and finding loopholes in whatever the license the unix kernel was under, but this time it may actually be useful, mac is is based on a Unix kernel, which is in a manner similar to the Linux kernel that Ubuntu uses. If you have used a mac then using Ubuntu would be easy, but in this case you shouldn't need to because it should load the drivers up immediately like in Ubuntu. Just grab the android SDK for mac os since i don't think the Linux binaries are compatible. Try placing the extracted android SDK on your desktop, and put previously mentioned recovery img file in the same folder as the fastboot command, open a terminal from applications>utilities and CD into the directory on the desktop that fastboot is in, and try running the fastboot commands I mentioned. Not sure if sudo is needed or not on a mac.

OK as to fastboot cables/adapters, basically you plug your kindle into it and the PC, and your kindle immediately kicks into fastboot mode. You could easily repair it fro windows in this manner since the Tate device would hang around so you could update it's driver without much difficulty. Tech locally you could try the same on windows without a fastboot cable but the device would only appear for a few seconds before it disappears making it hard to install the drivers in that time frame.

Maric98

Apr 20, 2014
o_O , mac os, normally I would hate mac os just because its a bit nooby and i don't agree with apples policy towards open source(or the lack of) and finding loopholes in whatever the license the unix kernel was under, but this time it may actually be useful, mac is is based on a Unix kernel, which is in a manner similar to the Linux kernel that Ubuntu uses. If you have used a mac then using Ubuntu would be easy, but in this case you shouldn't need to because it should load the drivers up immediately like in Ubuntu. Just grab the android SDK for mac os since i don't think the Linux binaries are compatible. Try placing the extracted android SDK on your desktop, and put previously mentioned recovery img file in the same folder as the fastboot command, open a terminal from applications>utilities and CD into the directory on the desktop that fastboot is in, and try running the fastboot commands I mentioned. Not sure if sudo is needed or not on a mac.

OK as to fastboot cables/adapters, basically you plug your kindle into it and the PC, and your kindle immediately kicks into fastboot mode. You could easily repair it fro windows in this manner since the Tate device would hang around so you could update it's driver without much difficulty. Tech locally you could try the same on windows without a fastboot cable but the device would only appear for a few seconds before it disappears making it hard to install the drivers in that time frame.

Thanks I hope my mac will get the job done. It would make it a lot more easier than going linux I think.
Ok. Ill try it on my mac. I will now download Android SDK and place the extracted file on my desktop. I guess I install all tools and all that. And keep you up-to-date.

I downloaded the SDK and placed the folder to my desktop and opened the SDK manager by going to sdk / tools / android and installed SKD tools and SDK platform Tools. Although when i downloaded it it gave me a log that told me something like '' Stopping ADB server failed (code -1). '' And now I get a red checkmark. I don't know if getting a red checkmark is actually good. And i don't know if it's installed now and if the error message matters.

Last edited: