Disable "What's new" from home button slide up

Search This thread

ahura999

Jun 2, 2013
When you slide up from the home button, Google Now and What's New pop up. How can I disable "What's new" so that only Google now is the only app that opens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ricky D

Apr 7, 2010
Doncaster + Beijing
When you slide up from the home button, Google Now and What's New pop up. How can I disable "What's new" so that only Google now is the only app that opens.

Root first, then use something like Titanium to freeze the What's New app.

Some system apps are allowed to be disabled in System > Apps > All. What's New is not disable-able.

Reactions: robotapocalypse

ahura999

Jun 2, 2013
Is it possible to unroot it right after amd keep the what's new disabled? I've rooted my gs4 before and since I'm not an expert, I had issues. So now I'm just afraid of rooting again.

ahura999

Jun 2, 2013

Some system apps are allowed to be disabled in System > Apps > All. What's New is not disable-able.

Is it possible to unroot it right after and keep the "what's new" disabled? I've rooted my gs4 before and since I'm not an expert, I had issues. So now I'm just afraid of rooting again.

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
ahura999: I would NOT do that at present.
Reason: For getting root, you need to unlock the bootloader; no big deal, Sony even supports you doing so.
But while unlocking the bootloader, you'll permanently lose all DRM keys and "X-Reality".

Too much trouble regarding the purpose if you'd ask me...

Don't get me wrong: Root is always a good idea, for me it's a MUST.
But maybe you better wait till a rooting method comes up which won't kill your keys.

ahura999

Jun 2, 2013
ahura999: I would NOT do that at present.
Reason: For getting root, you need to unlock the bootloader; no big deal, Sony even supports you doing so.
But while unlocking the bootloader, you'll permanently lose all DRM keys and "X-Reality".

Too much trouble regarding the purpose if you'd ask me...

Don't get me wrong: Root is always a good idea, for me it's a MUST.
But maybe you better wait till a rooting method comes up which won't kill your keys.

So much hassle. I partially understood what you said. But when it comes to movies and things, how well is this screen. (I'm still trying to figure which to buy, z2 or galaxy tab pro 8.4.) my ideal tab would be the 8.4 but it doesn't come with 32gb. But it has a beautiful screen which I prefer. Even the size is perfect for me.

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
But when it comes to movies and things, how well is this screen.
Display quality is excellent, high contrasts, deep blacks, no stuck pixels, almost no light bleeding, FAR better than the Samsung screens I saw the last months (e. g. Note 10.1 2014).
BUT (nothing without a big but): Tearing problems while scrolling (gets corrected with firmware 2.55), slightly worse display quality of text elements if holding the Z2 in portrait orientation.
The lower resolution compared with other tablets of today is no dealbreaker; you WILL notice that gear like the Note 10.1 2014 displays text a tiny bit better - you'll notice that if you've got the chance to do a side-by-side comparison. Seems to be a bad antialiasing algorithm utilized with the Z2.
Regarding videos: Movies look slightly better on the Z2, thanks to the better contrast ratio, the deeper black and the "X-Reality" feature. Yes, it really works. Not with every video, but in most cases this feature performs just fine.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
you WILL notice that gear like the Note 10.1 2014 displays text a tiny bit better - you'll notice that if you've got the chance to do a side-by-side comparison. Seems to be a bad antialiasing algorithm utilized with the Z2.

No, it isn't.

It's just that the Note 10.1 has a higher resolution, period.

Aside from that: Do you also have a job or other hobbies? Seems you use all your time to write long reviews and forum postings about the Tablet Z2... comes across as a bit manic...

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
Hasenbein: Any reason for you obviously trying to insult me ? ;)
If you're really interested in my profession (you've seen my works on TV), I'll happily answer your questions if you send me a private mail.

Regarding the antialiasing issue: Youl'll notice the feature working better in landscape mode. This suggests the algorithms needing further optimization. I am pretty aware of the resolution differences of Z2 and Note 10.1 2014 as I own both devices.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
No. The portrait vs. landscape "issue" is a property of the screen.

The portrait mode has optimum sharpness only in one direction!

That is: If you are in landscape, you can turn the tablet LEFT or RIGHT to go into portrait mode.

With my tablet, the optimum sharpness is when I turn it so that the power button is pointing up. On my tablet Z it was when I was turning the power button down (which wasn't optimal). Could be that the "right" direction is even different on every individual device...

This is with any LCD screen (try to turn your desktop monitor into portrait mode, then you'll see :) ); on the tablets with even higher resolution, it's only less visible (or even not visible at all for normal people).

Last edited:

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
I know.
But I didn't refer to sharpness overall, I noticed slightly worse antialising if viewing text contents in portrait mode: No visible "edges" in landscape orientation, but slightly visible edges in portrait mode. Strangely enough, this effect does not always occur; sometimes it's there, sometimes not.
That makes me believe there's some optimization potential.

Ricky D

Apr 7, 2010
Doncaster + Beijing
Is it possible to unroot it right after and keep the "what's new" disabled? I've rooted my gs4 before and since I'm not an expert, I had issues. So now I'm just afraid of rooting again.

Yes, it's possible, but I don't see how root would cause you issues unless you either had security issues with misbehaving apps or went wrong somewhere in the process of rooting, in which case it isn't the fault of being rooted.

Currently though, the only root method for the Z2 Tablet requires unlocking your bootloader and flashing a custom kernel. This may or may not incur irreversible undesired changes to your system depending on your approach.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.