Rooting Verizon 4.4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

whatnow275

Jan 6, 2011
I lost root when updating to 4.4.2 on my Verizon moto x. Does anyone know how to get it back?

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
I lost root when updating to 4.4.2 on my Verizon moto x. Does anyone know how to get it back?
There is no way at this time and probably never will be because jcase is not going to try to find a way.

What did you do that you lost root? Others are reporting that they kept root when they updated.

whatnow275

Jan 6, 2011
I was stupid and restored 4.4 without checking if I still had root. Had to restore because I uninstalled some bliatware and the update wouldn't take. So I'm stranded without root forever?

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
I was stupid and restored 4.4 without checking if I still had root. Had to restore because I uninstalled some bliatware and the update wouldn't take. So I'm stranded without root forever?
OK, just so I understand, you did a factory reset to restore to 4.4 and then were unrooted and took the 4.4.2 OTA?

As for forever, well, who knows maybe Jcase can be persuaded to work on it, but he still has to find a way even if he were so inclined. As of now, once you upgrade to the 4.4.2 bootloader, no one has a way to downgrade it to 4.4. And since Slap My Moto relies on downgrading 4.4. to the post camera 4.2.2, there is no way to root 4.4.2 with a locked bootloader.

The sale on the Dev Eds is still on until tomorrow. You can always get root with a Dev Ed. You could sell your current phone to help pay for the Dev Ed.

whatnow275

Jan 6, 2011
I had to sbf back to 4.4 because I uninstalled some apps using TiBu. It seems way faster now...battery I'd the main thing I care about. How can I jeep 5+ hours screen on time without root or turning off features?

aFancyTickler

Dec 5, 2012
if you sbf back to 4.4 then go back to 4.2.2 and do the root thing over and just update like normal. thats if you can still sbf to 4.2.2

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
if you sbf back to 4.4 then go back to 4.2.2 and do the root thing over and just update like normal. thats if you can still sbf to 4.2.2
He upgraded to 4.4.2. If he tries to sbf back to 4.4 he will brick his phone.

WARNING

flashallthetime said:
the only OTA that can downgrade is 4.4 to 4.2.2 Post Cam

here is what we know right now that might make more sense

4.4 to 4.2.2 Pre Cam will Brick
4.2.2 Post Cam to 4.2.2 Pre Cam will Brick.
4.4.2 to to anything will Brick
4.4 to 4.2.2 Post Cam you are ok

kbluhm

Dec 9, 2010
There is no way at this time and probably never will be because jcase is not going to try to find a way.

What did you do that you lost root? Others are reporting that they kept root when they updated.

All those that I have seen report keeping root later said that they lost R/W access, which makes having root useless.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Mayze23

Aug 1, 2010
All those that I have seen report keeping root later said that they lost R/W access, which makes having root useless.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Xposed with all its modules including Moto tether + TiBu is useless? I'm using adfree and it seems to work as well. All you have to do is soft reboot and viola!

TechTinker

May 31, 2012
Olympia
So if I root now (4.4.0) and take the ota to 4.4.2 , will I be able to keep the root? I don't necessarily need it, I would just like TB and X-Posed. Bit scared of loosing the warranty on this phone though.

Mayze23

Aug 1, 2010
So if I root now (4.4.0) and take the ota to 4.4.2 , will I be able to keep the root? I don't necessarily need it, I would just like TB and X-Posed. Bit scared of loosing the warranty on this phone though.

It worked for me. The only setback from 4.4 root is that if you hard reboot you'll need to install Xposed framework and soft reboot to get it to stick. So worst case is you have to reboot twice if you do a hard reboot. TiBu works regardless.

If you worried about the warranty then you shouldn't root the non dev edition.

Last edited:

kbluhm

Dec 9, 2010
Are you referring only to those that used MotoPwnNoMo? Or does this apply to all rooted users?

Not sure, they're not usually specific from what I've seen. I just recall reading "I got lucky, root stuck!" followed later by "ah crap, write protection is enabled".

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts