[MOD]Working JB built AOSP MMS with emoji support, Quick Message, Quick reply working

Search This thread

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
The problem: All JB built AOSP/CM mms.apk files do not work with TW ROMS.

Observations: Most work fine, but crash on sending or receiving an MMS message. ICS built mms.apks do work, but since ICS doesn't have Quick Reply or MMS preview built in, it's a step behind.

Bounty requirements: Working JB (preferred 4.2 as it has Group Messaging built in) that doesn't crash on MMS sending or receiving. Also, Emoji support, Full timestamp support, soft keyboard type, and SMS to MMS converter. If you patch mms.apk directly via source, a changelog or link commit back to CM/Gerrit is required. An explanation of what was missing/changed if no direct code was patched.

Method of payment: All parties who join into the bounty will be solely responsible for payment, which are to be arranged between the two parties.

I will start by offering $5. If you would like to contribute to get this working, please post and I'll keep a running list and keep the thread updated with the current amount.

Update: Adrynalyne, of Team BAMF, was kind enough to lend a hand and provided a fix, which he details in this thread. Attached is the fix.

#Notes# The fix SOMETIMES hangs while sending an MMS issue. I've been able to reproduce, but never when I can capture a logcat of it. If you know how to enter/use logcat, and you want to help refine the fix even more, by all means, post in here or PM me. I actually don't think it has to do with the fix, but the mms.apk itself. But again, we need people who can post logcats to narrow it down.

This fix SHOULD work on ANY unmodified, deodexed framework.jar based on the VRBLK1 leak. If you don't know what this is, ASK your dev if they've modified the framework.jar. If your phone blows up, YOYO, you're on your own. As always, its a good idea to make a nandroid backup, just to be safe.

Update: Adrynalyne hammered out a working fix for BLK3, which I posted below. I tested it on Beans Build 8. Works like a charm

More importantly, please consider donating to adrynalyne here. He did this out of kindness, as a favor to me. He doesn't even own the phone, I had to test and send files and logcats to him. Any little bit helps, and I think it's awesome he helps out with a device his team does not directly support, and hope more devs in the future will help each other in this manner. Thanks.

Attachments

• AOSP_MMS_FIX_FOR_TW_VRBLK1.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,601
  • AOSP_MMS_FIX_FOR_TW_VRBLK3.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:

CovXX

Dec 30, 2011
NJ
I've never had a problem sending mms with AOSp roms, i've used AOKP, cm10 and now miui, no problems

Reactions: jdub251

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
I'm using an Aosp messaging apk on clean rom. No problems sending mms or anything. Am I reading it wrong?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

phillysdon04

Feb 7, 2007
Philadelphia
He is talking about getting the aosp/cm10 mms with quick reply to work on tw roms. The picture below is an example of what he is talking about.
nexusae0_Screenshot_2012-09-02-11-11-03_thumb1.png
nexusae0_Screenshot_2012-09-04-14-37-06_thumb.png
nexusae0_QuickMessage_thumb1.png

The devs got the quick reply working so far but the app fc when viewing, sending or receiving a picture message.

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
You won't get the aosp group messaging because it requires framework tweaks

Sent from d2_vzw

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008

Sent from d2_vzw

That doesn't mean it can't be done. Can't never did nothin'. I'm starting with 4.1.x compatibility first.

As it stands, almost all my work so far to get AOSP MMS working has been framework code. I am going to post it here shortly so that I can get some more test results.

Edit: attached.

A couple things to note: Only send MMS through the app itself. In other words, don't try to send something from the gallery as MMS. Instead, open the MMS app and attach a file. I'll work on that limitation later.
This has worked for mexiken, both for receiving and sending, however sending becomes spotty. So let me know how it turns out. I do not know that this is the final fix and it may need some more work. I ran out of time due to Thanksgiving and family responsibilities. Once it fully works, I will be more than happy to share how I did it with everyone. Also, I modded the framework from his rom, so you might want to make a nandroid first, in case your JB TW rom isn't compatible. This is a test, and if your phone blows up, I hold no responsibility for it. I do not own this phone, so I cannot test it.

This package contains framework and a JB MMS app.

Attachments

• MMS_Test_Fix_1.0.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
We've got it working on my phone, but I really don't know if it's my signal issues or what. I'm playing around with a few different combinations of files.

I will test further later tonight if I get out of the house. Worst case, I'll check tomorrow at work.

trickinit

Aug 1, 2007
That doesn't mean it can't be done. Can't never did nothin'. I'm starting with 4.1.x compatibility first.

As it stands, almost all my work so far to get AOSP MMS working has been framework code. I am going to post it here shortly so that I can get some more test results.

A couple things to note: Only send MMS through the app itself. In other words, don't try to send something from the gallery as MMS. Instead, open the MMS app and attach a file. I'll work on that limitation later.
This has worked for mexiken, both for receiving and sending, however sending becomes spotty. So let me know how it turns out. I do not know that this is the final fix and it may need some more work. I ran out of time due to Thanksgiving and family responsibilities. Once it fully works, I will be more than happy to share how I did it with everyone. Also, I modded the framework from his rom, so you might want to make a nandroid first, in case your JB TW rom isn't compatible. This is a test, and if your phone blows up, I hold no responsibility for it. I do not own this phone, so I cannot test it.

I'm not super familiar with how the framework works, so I figured I better ask before flashing this. I have a T-Mobile GS3 running a JB TW rom. Is the framework carrier or rom specific, meaning it would cause issues for me?

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
I'm not super familiar with how the framework works, so I figured I better ask before flashing this. I have a T-Mobile GS3 running a JB TW rom. Is the framework carrier or rom specific, meaning it would cause issues for me?

I am going to assume so, yes. Once we verify it fully works, I can make versions for any version of phone...or post how it was done so others can (doesn't matter to me, I am doing this for free because mexiken is a good friend of mine).

Last edited:
Reactions: nujackk and Mac1679

Stre7ch

Nov 24, 2012
Hello all!
Has anyone tried this on a VZW S3 yet? I'm running jelly beans stock rom with Nova launcher and I'm not feeling brave enough to try the fix just yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
Hello all!
Has anyone tried this on a VZW S3 yet? I'm running jelly beans stock rom with Nova launcher and I'm not feeling brave enough to try the fix just yet.

I have the VZW S3 and can confirm it works in that it doesn't crash anymore, but it doesn't send reliably.

Stre7ch

Nov 24, 2012
I have the VZW S3 and can confirm it works in that it doesn't crash anymore, but it doesn't send reliably.

Good to hear, but what do you mean? Is it just MMS that won't send reliably or texts in general? What about receiving texts and MMS? Also, I know I'm a super noob, but how can I help with develop this?

phillysdon04

Feb 7, 2007
Philadelphia

Thanks for your hard work! :victory:

Reactions: mexiken

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Good to hear, but what do you mean? Is it just MMS that won't send reliably or texts in general? What about receiving texts and MMS? Also, I know I'm a super noob, but how can I help with develop this?

Can you test it? Make a nandroid first. Verizon is having some MMS issues as well, which *may* attribute to this. I sent an MMS to my wife on a different phone today and it took a while for her to get it.

What I really need is a full logcat of when sending fails so I can figure out where its getting stuck. I believe mexiken told me he has about a 66% successful send rate.

Receiving always works AFAIK.

Try sending while on, and off WiFi.

darkhawk3383

Feb 5, 2011
Would love to help, unfortunately this does not seem to work on Synergy 118. tried with complete wipe as well as clearing Cache and Dalvik, still no dice. This looks like a great mod though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem: All JB built AOSP/CM mms.apk files do not work with TW ROMS.

Observations: Most work fine, but crash on sending or receiving an MMS message. ICS built mms.apks do work, but since ICS doesn't have Quick Reply or MMS preview built in, it's a step behind.

Bounty requirements: Working JB (preferred 4.2 as it has Group Messaging built in) that doesn't crash on MMS sending or receiving. Also, Emoji support, Full timestamp support, soft keyboard type, and SMS to MMS converter. If you patch mms.apk directly via source, a changelog or link commit back to CM/Gerrit is required. An explanation of what was missing/changed if no direct code was patched.

Method of payment: All parties who join into the bounty will be solely responsible for payment, which are to be arranged between the two parties.

I will start by offering $5. If you would like to contribute to get this working, please post and I'll keep a running list and keep the thread updated with the current amount.

Update: Adrynalyne, of Team BAMF, was kind enough to lend a hand and provided a fix, which he details in this thread. Attached is the fix.

#Notes# The fix SOMETIMES hangs while sending an MMS issue. I've been able to reproduce, but never when I can capture a logcat of it. If you know how to enter/use logcat, and you want to help refine the fix even more, by all means, post in here or PM me. I actually don't think it has to do with the fix, but the mms.apk itself. But again, we need people who can post logcats to narrow it down.

This fix SHOULD work on ANY unmodified, deodexed framework.jar based on the VRBLK1 leak. If you don't know what this is, ASK your dev if they've modified the framework.jar. If your phone blows up, YOYO, you're on your own. As always, its a good idea to make a nandroid backup, just to be safe.

Update: Adrynalyne hammered out a working fix for BLK3, which I posted below. I tested it on Beans Build 8. Works like a charm

More importantly, please consider donating to adrynalyne here. He did this out of kindness, as a favor to me. He doesn't even own the phone, I had to test and send files and logcats to him. Any little bit helps, and I think it's awesome he helps out with a device his team does not directly support, and hope more devs in the future will help each other in this manner. Thanks.
    Would love to help, unfortunately this does not seem to work on Synergy 118. tried with complete wipe as well as clearing Cache and Dalvik, still no dice. This looks like a great mod though.

Well, seeing how its at least (mostly) working, I will post the method I used.

Samsung completely stripped mms support from framework.jar. This is needed for Jellybean's aosp MMS (but apparently not ICS). This became evident when the force close for MMS left a no such method in the logcat.

So what I did, is decompiled Android 4.1.1 framework.jar and a Touchwiz framework.jar intoa folder called dex.

Code:
    java -jar .\baksmali-1.4.1.jar -o dex .\classes.dex

I took the AOSP mms code folder, located at com/google/android/ and placed it into the same location in the touchwiz framework.jar.

Then I recompiled it.

Code:
    java -Xmx512M -jar .\smali-1.4.1.jar dex -o newclasses.dex

I renamed it to classes.dex and dropped it into famework.jar for touchwiz.

For the Mms.apk, I decompiled with apktool.

Code:
     java -jar apktool.jar d Mms.apk

I then put the AOSP Verizon Galaxy Nexus uaprof in. It is located under res/xml/mms_config.xml.

I then recompiled it with apktool.

Code:
    java-jar apktool.jar c Mms

I then took the newly compiled version and stripped out the mms_config.xml and put it into the previous Mms.apk. This lessens the chance of a bad recompile, which apktool loves to do with XML.

There are certainly some more things to fix, such as MMS not always sending, Gallery not linking to MMS, and so forth. I need more logcats for that though.

I attached the code that Touchwiz needs so that nobody else needs to decompile the aosp framework.jar.
    also when you tap a thread with a MMS the app force closes

We are almost there.

MMS force closes: fixed
    MMS sending and receiving: mostly fixed. Possibly a signal issue as it sends OK at some times and not others. It receives fine.

Sent from d2_vzw

Well, seeing how its at least (mostly) working, I will post the method I used.

Samsung completely stripped mms support from framework.jar. This is needed for Jellybean's aosp MMS (but apparently not ICS). This became evident when the force close for MMS left a no such method in the logcat.

So what I did, is decompiled Android 4.1.1 framework.jar and a Touchwiz framework.jar intoa folder called dex.

Code:
    java -jar .\baksmali-1.4.1.jar -o dex .\classes.dex

I took the AOSP mms code folder, located at com/google/android/ and placed it into the same location in the touchwiz framework.jar.

Then I recompiled it.

Code:
    java -Xmx512M -jar .\smali-1.4.1.jar dex -o newclasses.dex

I renamed it to classes.dex and dropped it into famework.jar for touchwiz.

For the Mms.apk, I decompiled with apktool.

Code:
     java -jar apktool.jar d Mms.apk

I then put the AOSP Verizon Galaxy Nexus uaprof in. It is located under res/xml/mms_config.xml.

I then recompiled it with apktool.

Code:
    java-jar apktool.jar c Mms

I then took the newly compiled version and stripped out the mms_config.xml and put it into the previous Mms.apk. This lessens the chance of a bad recompile, which apktool loves to do with XML.

There are certainly some more things to fix, such as MMS not always sending, Gallery not linking to MMS, and so forth. I need more logcats for that though.

I attached the code that Touchwiz needs so that nobody else needs to decompile the aosp framework.jar.

Good enough for me.

$5 for the bounty, which you posted on here and showed me screen caps while you were working on it.

$5 for working on this on Turkey Day with me (Overtime)

$5 for being a kick ass dev who doesn't even HAVE this phone, and fixed what every other dev for this phone can't

$5 for being a good dude and letting me bug you with whatever I ever need help with. Fuq what anyone else says about you.

$5 for all the other devs who are going to apply your fix, and make money off donations of a fix you made, for a phone you don't have.

$5 for all the cheapskates who wouldn't contribute to the bounty, yet clamored for this feature to work. They will download your fix, love that it works, and STILL not give you a red cent, despite you doing this on your free time.

Confirmation number: 70Y997731H5008518