[Q] WiFi Tethering for Rooted Photon

Search This thread

A2CKilla

Feb 22, 2011
When I used this setup, it also activated the native Sprint Hotspot app and since I didn't pay the $30 for Sprint Hotspot, it disabled the 3g connection and I could not use the Wifi-Tether, any1 has this problem?

ok, i just used this method, everything activated but here's the kicker, when the sprint hotspot activated, and i clicked it, the check box was blank :eek: so i don't think the sprint hotspot is even on

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not too familiar with this. When I wireless tether, my connection switches from 4g to 3g. Is that normal?

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

check the forum, as someone posted... check THIS LINK... (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1265219)

At the same time there is a certain version of the application that will work properly on your photon, check the link, I know it's 3.1, but I'm not Beta 6.

Good luck. Read the link for more details.

[EDIT: I had posted 3.0, it is 3.1 Beta 6, I'm sorry if I had mislead anyone.]

Last edited:

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011
Does infrastructure mode provide any benefits over ad-hoc mode for devices that can connect in either mode?

slmclarengt

Dec 1, 2008
WA and CA
Does infrastructure mode provide any benefits over ad-hoc mode for devices that can connect in either mode?

Infrastructure for one is more official, allowing most/all devices to auto-connect whereas Ad-hoc is a crapshoot for that feature. Also, when creating an ad-hoc network, if the creator disconnects, the user will now be the new 'host' and therefore think the network is still up.

archangel84020

Nov 7, 2010
I am rooted MoPho. I tried several versions of the android_wifi_tether app none seemed to make a connection regardless of method. However Open Garden worked immediately, but does not allow connection if i try to enable wireless security. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future as I would enjoy not having to share my connection.

Last edited:

Mustangmatt1966

Mar 17, 2011
Orlando
I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi only version and some of the newer roms for the tablet have added in Ad-Hoc support and will connect immediately. Pretty nice feature, just thought I should share for those having issues.

usmcnyc

Feb 18, 2008
Could you guys elaborate a bit more on your settings? Like what channel you're using? I can;t seem to get it to work, i'm using WiFi Tether 3.1 Beta 6, set to Galaxy S, netd, no encryption, LAN 10.10.1.0/24. I get errors "4G data link lost", then the mobile IP error. Then I get 4G and 3G battling against each other in the right hand corner. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: kdelinux

fintheman

Aug 16, 2010
I'm finding some odd things

Make sure to turn 4G off when you try to use it, otherwise it will not work or give internet connectivity. I used the Samsung Galaxy S option - If 4G is on or turns on while it is going, you'll lose inet on the device.

If it is just 3G - It seems like you can go Infrastructure mode all day on it (no AD-HOC)

Version: 3.1 Beta 6
Device-Profile = Samsung Galaxy 6
Setup-Method = Netd (Master)
Encryption is off for me

AustinMartin

Jul 18, 2011
I just checked the market, and the one that i use,"wireless tether for root users" has a !not available from your carrier.
I'm assuming sprint doesn't like this app.

You might need to get the apk for that app.
Sent from my mopho

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
I just checked the market, and the one that i use,"wireless tether for root users" has a !not available from your carrier.
I'm assuming sprint doesn't like this app.

You might need to get the apk for that app.
Sent from my mopho

Yeah, Sprint joined the group of carriers that block tether apps now:
http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/10/s...her-applications-from-the-android-market.html

Just get it from its source here:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

I usually get it from there anyway as the version on Market is almost always out of date.

ArchangelRenzoku

Mar 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
You guys just have to make sure you don't turn 4G on til AFTER you connect your device to the phone/ turn tethering on. Then switch 4G on, let it take over 3G and you're good to go.

It's a known bug for all Sprint's 4G phones.

kdelinux

Dec 12, 2010
fairfax
The software has the options, but the drivers must support it. The Evo didn't get infrastructure mode support in the drivers until 2nd 2.2 update I think.

Either, its up to the wifi tether people to update it for photon like they did for the evo.

installed but this error pop

"No Access control!
Sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for the access control disabled.

radrian92

Nov 16, 2010
Placentia
installed but this error pop

"No Access control!
Sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for the access control disabled.

Ignore that. Plus if you want infrastructure mode open setting in wifi tether and set device to googlenexus one and then setup to netd(master). Enable mss clamping. After download data widget. Turn 4g on then hit the widget and finally start tether. Works flawless :cool:

apolloclark

Jan 15, 2012
WTf?

I installed "Unlocked ROCKO3.0"; my system is unlocked, I have CWM installed, SU verified using "Root Checker", and I have install apps from "Unknown Sources" enabled.

Whenever I try to install "android-wifi-tether 3.1 beta 11", I get to the Install Screen, and nothing happens when I press the "Install" button. No errors, no response, and it will close out fine when I press Cancel.

Any ideas?

ScottieRotten

Dec 3, 2011
Boston
You havent enabled allow installantion from unknown sources in application settings???

kdelinux

Dec 12, 2010
fairfax
Ignore that. Plus if you want infrastructure mode open setting in wifi tether and set device to googlenexus one and then setup to netd(master). Enable mss clamping. After download data widget. Turn 4g on then hit the widget and finally start tether. Works flawless :cool:

I got lost with all the changes. which ver number are we saying is "work flawless"

thanks again

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Could you guys elaborate a bit more on your settings? Like what channel you're using? I can;t seem to get it to work, i'm using WiFi Tether 3.1 Beta 6, set to Galaxy S, netd, no encryption, LAN 10.10.1.0/24. I get errors "4G data link lost", then the mobile IP error. Then I get 4G and 3G battling against each other in the right hand corner. Thanks in advance!

has any one esle had this? I am seeming to fine that the battling is happening to mine. untill I reboot

ArchangelRenzoku

Mar 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
I got lost with all the changes. which ver number are we saying is "work flawless"

thanks again

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

has any one esle had this? I am seeming to fine that the battling is happening to mine. untill I reboot

You usually only get that if there is an extremely weak signal, or if your bootloader is unlocked. You are locked, right?

Top Liked Posts